BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Mowbray’s Future

He makes for a good listen. A certain wizened yet boyish exuberance for the game. He certainly doesn't grate when you hear his voice like Coyle did. A little Bobby Robson-esque if I dare say (probably unfair to say "poor man's...").

I picked several things he said that made me think his mind is already on next season and he is getting his excuses in early if we don't stay up this season. Certainly sounded like he has written off Friday night as a bonus. Hope I'm wrong because I think it's a massive 6-pointer and there can be no excuses. Knowing Venkys, he will be sacked if/when relegation is confirmed. Without Venkys and in League One, yes, is probably trust this set up (Senior aside who I don't trust at all, although getting Coyle out suggests maybe a less dysfunctional approach to footballing matters) to rebuild.

As it is with, 6 or 7 cup finals and the rest we must take points from, well I don't feel physically sick anymore and have got over the shock a little, but I remain less than optimistic and more comfortable (if that's the right word) that we may have a chance to do a Wigan next season and get out of League One - the right end.

Must say I've been impressed with the interviews thus far.  Sadly, the timing of the switch was all wrong - giving him four games in a matter of twelve days means he has little time to work on the training ground.  It should have happened after the Rotherham game, indeed it should have been after Barnsley.  Long term I believe he will be the right man for the job and feel far more optimistic than under Coyle.  Only time will tell, and it will be a struggle, but at least we are now in with a fighting chance of staying up.

• Like 7

Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if this is another short term appointment with a view to a longer term arrangement depending on how things go from now until May.

When Lambert got the job we were led to believe he had signed up for the long term for 2.5 years, only it then turned out he had sensibly inserted a break clause in enabling him to walk out if he wasn't happy with things.

I bet Mowbray is on a similar arrangement. It will be 18 months but a clause that either party can end it in the summer if they aren't happy. Mowbray has nothing to lose, he was unemployed, desperate for another crack at the Championship and Rovers is the biggest club he would get in his position. If he keeps us up in the next 15 games, which he is capable of doing with a squad I believe is underperforming in 23rd place, then he will instantly be rehabilitated and well liked by the fans. 

The way they've done it with the head coach structure with Senior sorting transfers from now on and Lowe/Dunn as the coaching staff in place before the new manager they will be able to chop and change managers relatively cheaply without needing to fire off several people every few months. Merely ring around the out of work managers desperate for a crack back in the Championship and offer it to one willing to work with the existing staff.

I really hope it works out, for all of our sakes. I think Mowbray is a top bloke and his interviews are refreshing and good to listen to. I'd hate it if he was the one with a relegation on his CV after Coyle has presided over such catastrophic results all season.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Parsonblue said:

Must say I've been impressed with the interviews thus far.  Sadly, the timing of the switch was all wrong - giving him four games in a matter of twelve days means he has little time to work on the training ground.  It should have happened after the Rotherham game, indeed it should have been after Barnsley.  Long term I believe he will be the right man for the job and feel far more optimistic than under Coyle.  Only time will tell, and it will be a struggle, but at least we are now in with a fighting chance of staying up.

It should of been after the Norwich game

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Parsonblue said:

My thoughts entirely. Seems a good guy. My bullshitometer isn't going off by merely looking at him so that's an improvement anyway. We shall see.

Massive 12 days coming up.

Just now, dingles staying down 4ever said:

It should of been after the Norwich game

It should have been before the Norwich game.

• Like 4

Of course every manager is judged by results and that is what ultimately we will judge Tony Mowbray.   Have to say though after hearing the claptrap that Owen Coyle has come out with from day one it is refreshing to hear Mowbray.  I liked what I heard and now it fingers crossed that he can get some results. 

Coyle should have been sacked weeks ago but it is yet another failing of those running the club and now it leaves Mowbray in a position where he is very little room for error.  I think 6 wins will be enough to keep us up. 

32 minutes ago, Kamy100 said:

Of course every manager is judged by results and that is what ultimately we will judge Tony Mowbray.   Have to say though after hearing the claptrap that Owen Coyle has come out with from day one it is refreshing to hear Mowbray.  I liked what I heard and now it fingers crossed that he can get some results. 

Coyle should have been sacked weeks ago but it is yet another failing of those running the club and now it leaves Mowbray in a position where he is very little room for error.  I think 6 wins will be enough to keep us up. 

Agree the most refreshing thing was just listening to him and not having to listen to captain spout, good job coil put a 'platform' in place so we can go and get those six wins :blink:

• Like 1

Got to say I enjoyed this comment on the Middlesbrough Gazette website after Mowbray was appointed:

Tony Mowbray will find it difficult to rebuild Blackburns fortunes in the 18 months he has been given by the Venky's.

Blackburn are still a relatively big club, certainly bigger than Burnley, and should not have been in this position, unbelievable that only 12 months ago they had Rhodes and Gestede.

They might have to bite the bullet this season, go down and rebuild.

Certainties for Division One champions next season though for me.

Good to see fans of other clubs know their stuff.

• Like 4

I almost fell asleep listening to Mowbray if I'm honest, but he seems a decent guy, determined, and wants to do a good job, we can't ask for anymore really.

I'm more uncomfortable that Paul Senior a youth team coach and former academy scout has been given a seemingly free reign to appoint the next manager of our football club, he's nowhere near qualified to be in the role he currently holds and should not be appointing football managers at Blackburn Rovers.

• Like 2

Just now, Gav said:

I almost fell asleep listening to Mowbray if I'm honest, but he seems a decent guy, determined, and wants to do a good job, we can't ask for anymore really.

I'm more uncomfortable that Paul Senior a youth team coach and former academy scout has been given a seemingly free reign to appoint the next manager of our football club, he's nowhere near qualified to be in the role he currently holds and should not be appointing football managers at Blackburn Rovers.

To be fair, I think he's more qualified than anyone else that has picked a manager here since Venkys arrived... not that that's saying much though.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, J*B said:

Mowbray first decision? Chris Samba back training with Rovers. 

is he?

cos Bruce this morning in his press conference as said he training with them to earn a deal with them

http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/aston-villa-fc/2017/02/24/christopher-samba-must-prove-his-fitness-to-earn-aston-villa-deal/

Just now, Gav said:

Thought Mowbray was honest in his interview.

On Senior, he has experience in football in varied roles over 20 years, so its probably more experience than Venkys are actually used to.

what makes you qualified considering some of shocking appointments we made over the past 30 years and look at some of appointments made by clubs in the championship over the past 5 years

Edited by chaddyrovers
  • Like 1

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

is he?

cos Bruce this morning in his press conference as said he training with them to earn a deal with them

http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/aston-villa-fc/2017/02/24/christopher-samba-must-prove-his-fitness-to-earn-aston-villa-deal/

Thought Mowbray was honest in his interview.

On Senior, he has experience in football in varied roles over 20 years, so its probably more experience than Venkys are actually used to.

Mowbray seems a decent guy came across well 

Paul Senior is here for Paul senior and no one else his experience is on par with other jokers venkys have employed his claim to fame is allegedly discovering Eriksen for spurs.. He isn't well thought of throughout the industry 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Got to say I enjoyed this comment on the Middlesbrough Gazette website after Mowbray was appointed:

Tony Mowbray will find it difficult to rebuild Blackburns fortunes in the 18 months he has been given by the Venky's.

Blackburn are still a relatively big club, certainly bigger than Burnley, and should not have been in this position, unbelievable that only 12 months ago they had Rhodes and Gestede.

Sadly with Dyche solidifying the Dingles in the Prem and thus pocketing another £200m and us only heading one way for 7 years, his statement there is becoming more and more redundant by the season.  Burnley have just spent £13m on a player - we've spent 250k in about 4 windows.

What determines the size of a club?.... the history, the fanbase?  For me, neither - in the modern day it's the finances, and Burnley are streets ahead of us now.