BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Mowbray’s Future

20 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Whatever people think about Mowbray's tactics, team selection etc at least he says all the right things.

Coyle used to say all the right things but you always knew it was just flannel and  PR. Mowbray is no Coyle. He is everything that the likes of Coyle will never be. Mowbray is a rare breed for a football manager in the respect that he's both open and honest. He doesn't just say it because the fans want to hear it, it always comes from the heart with him. He reminds me a little of Dalglish in that respect.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Whatever people think about Mowbray's tactics, team selection etc at least he says all the right things.

The guy is just a good egg. Can tell he is a top bloke who isn't in this for the money. If he fell through the levels in pro football, I have no doubt he would be coaching sun league teams. You can tell he just loves it.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

Coyle used to say all the right things but you always knew it was just flannel and  PR. Mowbray is no Coyle. He is everything that the likes of Coyle will never be. Mowbray is a rare breed for a football manager in the respect that he's both open and honest. He doesn't just say it because the fans want to hear it, it always comes from the heart with him. He reminds me a little of Dalglish in that respect.

Coyle was just a bull shitter. Nothing he said was worth listening to.

• Like 1

• Backroom

You can tell Coyle is a bullshitter because his words have no substance. He talks about things vaguely but you can tell he has no idea how to implement those ideas. It's clear within a couple of minutes of listening to Mowbray that he knows exactly what he wants to do and how to do it, whether you agree with him or not. 

I thought Mowbray's weaknesses as a coach were exposed today. Cook changed his team to devastating effect, bringing on Vaughan who gave our defence a torrid time, even Lenighan found him hard to handle. Mowbray failed to see the danger and only made changes when it was too late. His substitutions seem to be by rote too, with the same players always taken off. 

Just now, jim mk2 said:

I thought Mowbray's weaknesses as a coach were exposed today. Cook changed his team to devastating effect, bringing on Vaughan who gave our defence a torrid time, even Lenighan found him hard to handle. Mowbray failed to see the danger and only made changes when it was too late. His substitutions seem to be by rote too, with the same players always taken off. 

It could as easily have been Smallwood rather than Evans going off. Both were poor and second best to Wigans central midfield. We only looked to control that area when Bennett moved inside. Smallwood was out on his knees in the last ten minutes and lost possession several times and gave cheap free kicks away.

In my opinion Mowbray got it wrong by playing those two from the start.

• Like 3

Just now, arbitro said:

It could as easily have been Smallwood rather than Evans going off. Both were poor and second best to Wigans central midfield. We only looked to control that area when Bennett moved inside. Smallwood was out on his knees in the last ten minutes and lost possession several times and gave cheap free kicks away.

In my opinion Mowbray got it wrong by playing those two from the start.

Something that the “hindsighted” amongst us were saying before the game.

We should be looking to shore things up with DMs, with the game sewn up, not start them and the later bring on attackers. It’s a negative tactic which plans for failure.

Without Dack we’d have struggled today.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stuart said:

We should be looking to shore things up with DMs, with the game sewn up, not start them and the later bring on attackers. It’s a negative tactic which plans for failure.

Agreed and on form alone Bennett should be in there ahead of the other two. His mobility, willingness to get forward and tackling should have seen him starting there. I honestly can't recall the last time I remember Evans having a half decent game.

1 minute ago, Stuart said:

Bennett scored and stopped the threat down their right to the extent that both Byrne and Massey were subbed. The problem today was that Smallwood was crap. I also have no idea why Travis wasn't involved.

• Like 2

Just now, arbitro said:

Agreed and on form alone Bennett should be in there ahead of the other two. His mobility, willingness to get forward and tackling should have seen him starting there. I honestly can't recall the last time I remember Evans having a half decent game.

And play who on the left? Bennett was played wide left to do a particular job which he did brilliantly. He also scored. He can't be everywhere.

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

Bennett scored and stopped the threat down their right to the extent that both Byrne and Massey were subbed. The problem today was that Smallwood was crap. I also have no idea why Travis wasn't involved.

Bennett is our best CM at the moment - IMHO.

I like Travis but he is raw and I’m not convinced he is the answer to our midfield question. Although it would be interesting to see him play at RB if the opportunity came up.

• Like 1

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

And play who on the left? Bennett was played wide left to do a particular job which he did brilliantly. He also scored. He can't be everywhere.

Armstrong has played on the left several times for us and a lot in his career. Perhaps not his favoured position but he could have freed Bennett up for the greater good. 

19 minutes ago, Stuart said:

I was disappointing with the non selection of Payne but im not sure how you can claim a moral victory when we were so dominant in the first half? Especially when someone youd have chosen to play central midfield scored from the left wing. I do think Mowbray got things wrong in the second half in terms of substitutions, but im not too sure you can suggest that he got the line up wrong.

Just now, jim mk2 said:

Lenihan's preferred position is centre midfield. Would love to see him play there but we'd need to sign a new centre half next season as Downing is not the answer. 

Is it? He looked quite poor whenever he played in midfield, he was not good enough on the ball, his attributes are better suited to playing in defence, where he has looked far more accomplished as seen today.

Don't get this urge to move our centre backs into midfield.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I was disappointing with the non selection of Payne but im not sure how you can claim a moral victory when we were so dominant in the first half? Especially when someone youd have chosen to play central midfield scored from the left wing. I do think Mowbray got things wrong in the second half in terms of substitutions, but im not too sure you can suggest that he got the line up wrong.

Not claiming any moral victory. Just preempting the ‘only cause we didn’t win jibes’.

Looking it objectively, our success and failure today was down to Dack. He was in fine form in the first half and faded second. The midfield line up wasn’t right. Before the game I wasn’t the only fan astonished at Evans displacing Bennett from the centre of midfield. Top of the table clash and we didn’t play to our strengths, we played to nullify a threat. But for Dack it could well have been 0-0 in the first half. We are over-reliant on him and he has been sparing potential blushes for us this season.

Payne may not have been the answer but Evans definitely wasn’t - and changing things to accommodate the latter cost us today. It wasn’t until Evans went off that we halted the slide. Can’t believe he is an international footballer. I can only assume that he has to play him fairly regularly to make the match postponements credible.

39 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Not claiming any moral victory. Just preempting the ‘only cause we didn’t win jibes’.

Looking it objectively, our success and failure today was down to Dack. He was in fine form in the first half and faded second. The midfield line up wasn’t right. Before the game I wasn’t the only fan astonished at Evans displacing Bennett from the centre of midfield. Top of the table clash and we didn’t play to our strengths, we played to nullify a threat. But for Dack it could well have been 0-0 in the first half. We are over-reliant on him and he has been sparing potential blushes for us this season.

Payne may not have been the answer but Evans definitely wasn’t - and changing things to accommodate the latter cost us today. It wasn’t until Evans went off that we halted the slide. Can’t believe he is an international footballer. I can only assume that he has to play him fairly regularly to make the match postponements credible.

My point is, I along with you wouldnt have picked Evans. But the way we set up initially led to us leading 2-0 at half time, comfortably, so how can you say that it was wrong? Especially when you mention Bennetts position, yet his role on the left wing was what enabled him to score the second goal. So surely that justifies Bennetts selection there, even if you felt he was put there more for defensive responsibilities or whatever? I thought that Bennett did really well in general out wide, and I've been one of his biggest critics there this season.

Even if you feel like he stumbled upon it, the team that started the game was one that worked really well in that first half. If you think he chose a team to contain and that how we did in that first half was not necessarily down to the tactical approach, more down to individuals or whatever, then fair enough, but he got the starting 11 right even if he did it by chance. (which I think would be very harsh on him)

There are aspects that are open to be criticised, im not saying Mowbray was perfect today, for example the most obvious error in hindsight was the lateness of his subs and also the players brought on didnt aid us in holding on to a 2 goal lead, and the fact that we let the lead slip in the first place brings the tactics into question,.

You mention Corry Evans, I don't rate him but he was no worse than Smallwood today. You say that his substitution lead to us "halting the slide," the remaining 15 minutes hardly saw a Rovers resurgence, in fact if any team was going to go on and win, it was Wigan, and bringing on Antonsson and Nuttall at that time did nothing to make us more threatening, both were totally ineffective.

You say that we are over-reliant on Dack, but he is the best player in the league, any League 1 team would be somewhat dependent on him, but all 4 attacking players played their part in that first half, we looked well balanced.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

My point is, I along with you wouldnt have picked Evans. But the way we set up initially led to us leading 2-0 at half time, comfortably, so how can you say that it was wrong? Especially when you mention Bennetts position, yet his role on the left wing was what enabled him to score the second goal. So surely that justifies Bennetts selection there, even if you felt he was put there more for defensive responsibilities or whatever? I thought that Bennett did really well in general out wide, and I've been one of his biggest critics there this season.

Even if you feel like he stumbled upon it, the team that started the game was one that worked really well in that first half. If you think he chose a team to contain and that how we did in that first half was not necessarily down to the tactical approach, more down to individuals or whatever, then fair enough, but he got the starting 11 right even if he did it by chance. (which I think would be very harsh on him)

There are aspects that are open to be criticised, im not saying Mowbray was perfect today, for example the most obvious error in hindsight was the lateness of his subs and also the players brought on didnt aid us in holding on to a 2 goal lead, and the fact that we let the lead slip in the first place brings the tactics into question,.

You mention Corry Evans, I don't rate him but he was no worse than Smallwood today. You say that his substitution lead to us "halting the slide," the remaining 15 minutes hardly saw a Rovers resurgence, in fact if any team was going to go on and win, it was Wigan, and bringing on Antonsson and Nuttall at that time did nothing to make us more threatening, both were totally ineffective.

You say that we are over-reliant on Dack, but he is the best player in the league, any League 1 team would be somewhat dependent on him, but all 4 attacking players played their part in that first half, we looked well balanced.

Evans went off and Wigan didn’t score again. It’s possible it could have been the same if Smallwood had gone off and Evans stayed on but given the attributes of both players I doubt it.

You seem to be making a point of ticking off and disagreeing with my specific comments. That’s your prerogative but I’ve called it as I’ve seen it.

Smallwood is twice the player Evans is which is bizarre considering the pedigree and history of both players. However, Smallwood is a tough tackler (albeit on who needs to get this 10th yellow out of the way) whereas Evans seems more of a water carrier. Bennett can do that job with teeth. If I was picking the next line up and had to choose between Smallwood and Evans, I’d be choosing Smallwood.

47 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Evans went off and Wigan didn’t score again. It’s possible it could have been the same if Smallwood had gone off and Evans stayed on but given the attributes of both players I doubt it.

You seem to be making a point of ticking off and disagreeing with my specific comments. That’s your prerogative but I’ve called it as I’ve seen it.

Smallwood is twice the player Evans is which is bizarre considering the pedigree and history of both players. However, Smallwood is a tough tackler (albeit on who needs to get this 10th yellow out of the way) whereas Evans seems more of a water carrier. Bennett can do that job with teeth. If I was picking the next line up and had to choose between Smallwood and Evans, I’d be choosing Smallwood.

Just mainly in regards to the notion that he got his starting 11 wrong. 

The thing is, I agree that I like you would have played Payne over Evans, with Bennett centrally. But surely being 2 up at half time justifies the initial choice of team, especially Bennetts role on the wing that allowed him to cut in and score. Thus proving us both wrong, today in isolation? 

Agree on Smallwood being much more effective than Evans but today i thought the latter was slightly more effective.

The trouble is we to often view a decision by its success. A good decision can end badly and a bad decision can end well. It doesn't mean they switch, its just how it goes

Mowbray could have dropped everyone and played the kids. If we somehow won it isn't a good decision because of it. It would still be bat s&*t crazy

54 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Just mainly in regards to the notion that he got his starting 11 wrong. 

The thing is, I agree that I like you would have played Payne over Evans, with Bennett centrally. But surely being 2 up at half time justifies the initial choice of team, especially Bennetts role on the wing that allowed him to cut in and score. Thus proving us both wrong, today in isolation? 

Agree on Smallwood being much more effective than Evans but today i thought the latter was slightly more effective.

Travis?

Won 4, drawn 1 in last 5, top of the league.

Wigan and Shrews both won 2, lost 2, drawn 1 in last 5

I know which fans should be most worried and it not us at the moment!!

Well done TM for giving some of us a decent season, restoring a bit of pride.

Same posters will just keep moaning,  football is not an exact science, it's 22 men kicking a bag of  wind around, nothing is guaranteed!!!!

• Like 7

9 hours ago, Doug said:

Won 4, drawn 1 in last 5, top of the league.

Wigan and Shrews both won 2, lost 2, drawn 1 in last 5

I know which fans should be most worried and it not us at the moment!!

Well done TM for giving some of us a decent season, restoring a bit of pride.

Same posters will just keep moaning,  football is not an exact science, it's 22 men kicking a bag of  wind around, nothing is guaranteed!!!!

Shut the forum! No more discussion!!

• Like 2