BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Mowbray’s Future

I really like the bloke and he's done wonders for the Club on the PR front. He's been a great representative of Blackburn Rovers. I'd also say he's brought a large degree of dignity and respect back to the club. Putting all that to one side do I think he can take this club to the next level ? With a heavy heart I'd have to say I don't think he can. Can he keep us at the level we're at now for the foreseeable future ? Possibly, but I'm not sure.

Does that mean I want him fired ? Not really. Chances are we would replace him by somebody else who could well do worse than Mowbray. If I was in charge at Rovers I'd like to see him moved to a position where he has less involvement in the team itself and more of a figurehead for the club and either Johnno given more involvement with the first team or someone similarly young with fresh ideas of how we should be playing.

The one thing that goes though my mind when I watch us play is we just do not look a well coached team - even when we are winning. This has been going on too long for my liking.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I really like the bloke and he's done wonders for the Club on the PR front. He's been a great representative of Blackburn Rovers. I'd also say he's brought a large degree of dignity and respect back to the club. Putting all that to one side do I think he can take this club to the next level ? With a heavy heart I'd have to say I don't think he can. Can he keep us at the level we're at now for the foreseeable future ? Possibly, but I'm not sure.

Does that mean I want him fired ? Not really. Chances are we would replace him by somebody else who could well do worse than Mowbray. If I was in charge at Rovers I'd like to see him moved to a position where he has less involvement in the team itself and more of a figurehead for the club and either Johnno given more involvement with the first team or someone similarly young with fresh ideas of how we should be playing.

The one thing that goes though my mind when I watch us play is we just do not look a well coached team - even when we are winning. This has been going on too long for my liking.

B255E461-E8C3-455C-90A8-8DD9F31B0715.jpeg

• Like 1

People overrate the job hes done..coyle could have got rovers out of league 1. Hes never going to be able to take rovers onto the next level...hes a decent manager but thats all he'll ever be. If venkys want rovers in the top division then he needs binning and bringing in a manager that can achieve their aim.

Edited by roverandout
  • Like 1

• Moderation Lead
1 hour ago, roverandout said:

People overrate the job hes done..coyle could have got rovers out of league 1. Hes never going to be able to take rovers onto the next level...hes a decent manager but thats all he'll ever be. If venkys want rovers in the top division then he needs binning and bringing in a manager that can achieve their aim.

Some fair enough points, but the bit about Coyle being able to get us out of league one makes you look a bit daft....

• Like 4

1 hour ago, roverandout said:

Ya he could have alright, straight to league 2. I hope thats what you meant. Because otherwise you would sound very, very silly. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

Some fair enough points, but the bit about Coyle being able to get us out of league one makes you look a bit daft....

I think it makes you look a bit daft saying his other points are fair enough?

“Decent” ala average? Do you believe any “average” manager could’ve turned our club completely round?

“He will never get Rovers up”.. is that not ignoring the trend, since were already technically overachieving from certain perspectives? Plus he’s done it before?

“He needs binning off”, there’s nothing fair about that Kenneth! 

To sum up our manager. Brilliant man manager almost like a father figure to some of the players and seems to reasonably control the owners

But

Very poor tactical manager and the game has started to progress past him. Better managers than him have struggled with some of the best in the game being found out so there's no embarrassment in it.

I've respect for the job he's done but I'd have far more if he brought a really clever number 2 in to do the tactical stuff.

Wasn't it Brian Clough who got found out at Leeds when he lost his number 2 in Peter Taylor? One had the presence and the other had the brain. Not that I'm comparing Mowbray to Clough as they aren't in the same league but that's the missing piece I feel.

Like many I wouldn't want him sacked but I do want the club to keep progressing and this season has been a success playoffs or not but what happens next year? Top 10 again? Then the year after? All of a sudden a problem will develop which has happened before.

• Like 1

• Backroom

I can't help but get deja vu when I read what people write about Mowbray. It really is GB all over again, right down to the tactical naivety and strong relationship with the owners. Dack is Mowbray's Cairney and Brereton is his Rhodes ( whoops). 

2 hours ago, roverandout said:

True- Coyle would have taken us to League 2.

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead
1 hour ago, Biz said:

I think it makes you look a bit daft saying his other points are fair enough?

“Decent” ala average? Do you believe any “average” manager could’ve turned our club completely round?

“He will never get Rovers up”.. is that not ignoring the trend, since were already technically overachieving from certain perspectives? Plus he’s done it before?

“He needs binning off”, there’s nothing fair about that Kenneth! 

Simmer down hun, I didn’t specify which points I thought were fair enough and you’ve made assumptions!

• Like 1

Just now, K-Hod said:

Simmer down hun, I didn’t specify which points I thought were fair enough and you’ve made assumptions!

I broke down his post into three points outside of the one you dismissed! I’m still waiting to see which one you think is fair lad.. :) 

• Moderation Lead
4 minutes ago, Biz said:

I broke down his post into three points outside of the one you dismissed! I’m still waiting to see which one you think is fair lad.. :) 

I’m not arguing with you on here mate, I’ll save that until the game next Saturday. Even though you’ve been a total nightmare on here, I’ll still bring you some tobacco back from here, because that’s what a nice guy I am!

Happy Sunday ?

Edited by K-Hod

6 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

I’m not arguing with you on here mate, I’ll save that until the game next Saturday. Even though you’ve been a total nightmare on here, I’ll still bring you some tobacco back from here, because that’s what a nice guy I am!

Happy Sunday ?

I agree it’s fair enough for people to have their own opinions but every element of it from my perspective of what he said was wrong, hence asking what you thought.

If giving an opinion (forgetting I didn’t post after the game until this morning or in the match thread) causes me to be a nightmare, I’m quite sure you need to toughen up - maybe stay a bit longer on holiday it sounds like you need it.

Edited by K-Hod

1 hour ago, DE. said:

I can't help but get deja vu when I read what people write about Mowbray. It really is GB all over again, right down to the tactical naivety and strong relationship with the owners. Dack is Mowbray's Cairney and Brereton is his Rhodes ( whoops). 

I don't agree there, I think Mowbray is better at running the club than Bowyer. Having said that Bowyer ( or his dad ) was a lot better at bringing new players into the club.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 3

It's not easy to stop terminal rot inside a club although you get one or two who might contain it briefly but Mowbray has seemingly eradicated it and not only that but started brand new growth from a clean base.

Not an easy task even with a bit of money, plenty examples around so he must have something about him. A director of football in the making here if he fancies stepping back a bit in the next year or two ?

As for Clownpants...... come on get a grip ?

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 2

Just now, tomphil said:

It's not easy to stop terminal rot inside a club although you get one or two who might contain it briefly but Mowbray has seemingly eradicated it and not only that but started brand new growth from a clean base.

Not an easy task even with a bit of money, plenty examples around so he must have something about him. A director of football in the making here if he fancies stepping back a bit in the next year or two ?

As for Clownpants...... come on get a grip ?

This is a fallacy. He has only “eradicated it” for as long as he is the face of the club.

Every time anyone questions his ability or whether he is the right man for the task, the retort/fear is still that we could end up with a worse choice. This means that the real issues (Venkys decision making and their delegates) remain at the back of our minds, just out of sight.

There are shoots there that we are on a rebuild but despite having money we have players ‘doing a job’ all over the park, and Tony frequently says one thing and does another. We need a bit of consistency from him yet it still feels like he doesn’t know his best team or subs and unless injuries occur, he seemingly has to rotate the midfield. His recruitment is awful and this needs to be sorted out before the Summer if we are going to build anything.

Still so many question marks, particularly at the back: goalkeeper, full backs, cb cover, but also still an over-reliance on Graham staying fit.

• Like 1

• Backroom
2 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I don't agree there, I think Mowbray is better at running the club than Bowyer. Having said that Bowyer ( or his dad ) was a lot better at bringing new players into the club.

I agree on both points, but worth noting the manager should not really be "running the club" at all, and that's been a common problem throughout Venky's tenure. Way too much responsibility put onto the manager's shoulders. I'd argue in Bowyer's defence that he could only dream of having the kind of structure in place that Mowbray does, being able to essentially hire his own boss for a start!

4 minutes ago, Stuart said:

This is a fallacy. He has only “eradicated it” for as long as he is the face of the club.

Every time anyone questions his ability or whether he is the right man for the task, the retort/fear is still that we could end up with a worse choice. This means that the real issues (Venkys decision making and their delegates) remain at the back of our minds, just out of sight.

There are shoots there that we are on a rebuild but despite having money we have players ‘doing a job’ all over the park, and Tony frequently says one thing and does another. We need a bit of consistency from him yet it still feels like he doesn’t know his best team or subs and unless injuries occur, he seemingly has to rotate the midfield. His recruitment is awful and this needs to be sorted out before the Summer if we are going to build anything.

Still so many question marks, particularly at the back: goalkeeper, full backs, cb cover, but also still an over-reliance on Graham staying fit.

Looking at the bigger picture of his tenure so far you've got to include the whole package of things he's brought to the job and for me the main reason for that is his experience something we just haven't had under this lot. He's probably only done some sensible things a lot of others similar to him would've done but that was alien to this club and its agent led revolving door policy.  Also key to it is he's seemed to have backing right through the club from top to bottom for some reason, another thing no one else has had not even Bowyer.

He's used all his nous to press the right buttons or he has the right connections but going off the 'whole package' and looking just at the team stuff then yeah i'd probably describe him as an upper midtable manager, tactics, signings etc and I think that's where we'll finish so there's probably a correlation. You could say he'll have reached his ceiling then but he does have a promotion on his cv but as fans of some of his other clubs will testify too he seems to enter mirky water after a few years but maybe with the backing and grip on the club he has here he might improve on that.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Norbert Rassragr said:

There have been some mistakes, but the club seems to be run like a normal club with a pretty decent manager which is an improvement over chimp head who got the club relegated and would never have got us back up. Hopefully the squad shortcomings will actually be addressed and younger players will develop.

I think you are right.  I think TM is thinking long term and we all want now....I'd like to think Williams and Smallwood will be phased out now and will leave in the summer....Tony knows what's needed ultimately and hes in a very fortunate position and quite unique where he's essentially deciding his own future. Theres no rush for him

24 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

I think you are right.  I think TM is thinking long term and we all want now....I'd like to think Williams and Smallwood will be phased out now and will leave in the summer....Tony knows what's needed ultimately and hes in a very fortunate position and quite unique where he's essentially deciding his own future. Theres no rush for him

There is for me though!!  :(

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

I doubt that Smallwood or Williams are going anywhere soon. Smallwood is contrated until 30.6.20, Williams until 30.6.21.

The highlighted bit just confirms that we are still far from being a normal Club, indeed it is an idiotic state of affairs if true.

With his success last season, and the wounds he's managed to heal, Mowbray has ensured his place in Rovers history, and a very favourable legacy he'll leave too.

In Tony I still trust, and given where we were in February 2017, to where we are now, he's done a magnificent job.

Can he take us onto that next level? History would suggest he can (see West Bromwich) and he's more than earned every right to take his time, build a squad and progress at his own pace.

If you'd offered me the sort of season were having back in August, I would have bitten your hand off.

Questionable tactics at times, poor substitutions, collapses away from home (Preston, Bristol City and Brentford) have not been acceptable, but for anyone to even be thinking about Mowbray Out is incredible.

• Like 5

• Backroom

The amount of people who genuinely want Mowbray out are so small in number that it genuinely isn't even worth mentioning. Unfortunately as soon as someone posts "Mowbray Out" it somehow morphs into everybody with a legitimate concern or criticism apparently wanting him out as well, although at most only one or two people have actually said so. 

• Like 1