BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Mowbray’s Future

Reading through the articles today on the Lancashire Telegraph website of Mowbray reviewing his meetings with the owners I am even more concerned rather than reassured.

It would be helpful if Mowbray explained which of the owners he met whilst in Switzerland. Was it Mrs Desai? 

It seems we're still no nearer than we were months ago in relation to this European scouting network. Mowbray is still talking about it being something he wants to be able to put in place rather than it being something that is now in place. It is concerning to me that he clearly identified that as an issue many months ago and yet it seems no nearer to happening. 

Mind you, given some of the stories I've heard over the years about the difficulties of getting approval from India for even minor yet necessary expenditure I imagine he's having difficulties getting approval for a relatively large and in some respects unnecessary outlay.

Seems anyway that this network isn't going to be in place in time for it to bear fruit by the time the summer comes round.

Mowbray's language is very similar to that Paul Lambert was using around this stage 3 years ago. Publicly telling the fans and owners what he wants to do and what he thinks is needed to achieve their aim (supposedly) of promotion, lots of suggestions about various areas of the club that need strengthening and the need for more investment

Sounds to me like they're telling him they want promotion and yet he doesn't feel as though the tools are there to do it yet. and is trying to get that message across to them and explain things to them via the media as well as in his meetings.

All very odd. Seems the manager meets with them but then needs to get his message across in the public arena. Not for the first time.

Wouldn't surprise me if he or they had no idea what the plan was going to be come the summer in terms of budget etc.

• Like 2

Just now, JHRover said:

Reading through the articles today on the Lancashire Telegraph website of Mowbray reviewing his meetings with the owners I am even more concerned rather than reassured.

It would be helpful if Mowbray explained which of the owners he met whilst in Switzerland. Was it Mrs Desai? 

It seems we're still no nearer than we were months ago in relation to this European scouting network. Mowbray is still talking about it being something he wants to be able to put in place rather than it being something that is now in place. It is concerning to me that he clearly identified that as an issue many months ago and yet it seems no nearer to happening. 

Mind you, given some of the stories I've heard over the years about the difficulties of getting approval from India for even minor yet necessary expenditure I imagine he's having difficulties getting approval for a relatively large and in some respects unnecessary outlay.

Seems anyway that this network isn't going to be in place in time for it to bear fruit by the time the summer comes round.

Mowbray's language is very similar to that Paul Lambert was using around this stage 3 years ago. Publicly telling the fans and owners what he wants to do and what he thinks is needed to achieve their aim (supposedly) of promotion, lots of suggestions about various areas of the club that need strengthening and the need for more investment

Sounds to me like they're telling him they want promotion and yet he doesn't feel as though the tools are there to do it yet. and is trying to get that message across to them and explain things to them via the media as well as in his meetings.

All very odd. Seems the manager meets with them but then needs to get his message across in the public arena. Not for the first time.

Wouldn't surprise me if he or they had no idea what the plan was going to be come the summer in terms of budget etc.

I think you are reading too much into things. On the one hand you say he is talking to the media for the benefit of the owners, then you say that he should tell us which of the owners he spoke to  

He is communicating his trip to the LT and to the fans. I doubt Venkys keep up to date with Sharpes daily musings. 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

I think you are reading too much into things. On the one hand you say he is talking to the media for the benefit of the owners, then you say that he should tell us which of the owners he spoke to  

He is communicating his trip to the LT and to the fans. I doubt Venkys keep up to date with Sharpes daily musings. 

Hmmm. Maybe, but I'm seeing parallels between Mowbray's public comments re. the owners and some of those his predecessors came out with. Almost as though there are doubts in his mind about whether they are going to go with his suggestions and him trying to guide them publicly as to which way they should go with this.

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

is there any players you could suggest we should target in the summer from Germany and France?

If you want an out and out goalscorer then Nils Peterson at Freiburg would be a shout. He's 30 but scored goals all his career and wouldn't be on mega money at Freiburg. 

If Dack left then I think Vincenzo Grifo would be a good player to take a chance on. He was top class at Freiburg and left for Monchengladbach for about 5 million a year ago or so, hasn't really worked out for him there as M.Gladbach are doing well and have a decent side. He's 25, has that mercurial maverick type talent that Dack has and you'd probably get him at a snip. 

1 hour ago, Neal said:

If you want an out and out goalscorer then Nils Peterson at Freiburg would be a shout. He's 30 but scored goals all his career and wouldn't be on mega money at Freiburg. 

If Dack left then I think Vincenzo Grifo would be a good player to take a chance on. He was top class at Freiburg and left for Monchengladbach for about 5 million a year ago or so, hasn't really worked out for him there as M.Gladbach are doing well and have a decent side. He's 25, has that mercurial maverick type talent that Dack has and you'd probably get him at a snip. 

thanks for the reply. 

Have you seen Bernard Tekpetey play? right winger from SC Paderborn. scored 9 goals and 4 assist

Have you seen Lukas Hinterseer play? Austrian Striker who plays for VFL Bochum. scored 12 goals this season. out of contract in summer

Both players from Bundesliga 2. I just had a look at stats just now. 

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

In Indian style, the owners probably tell him what they think he wishes to hear and then go away and forget about it.

Every person I know who's been to India comments on that aspect of their culture.

12 hours ago, tomphil said:

Sort that defence out, invest in that a bit and build from the back or we'll go nowhere unless you get serious fire power and try the old you score three but we'll score four routine.

As for European scouting I reckon these days it mostly amounts to watching live streams of games on a large screen in a comfy office with the odd foray across water to check out in the flesh someone you might like. Can't be that difficult or expensive to set up you just need a decent calibre of person doing the watching.

Let's face it though our forays into European markets haven't gone very well under this lot have they although the previous system was 'agent presents xyz to owner' probably. If they've moved away from that there might be a chance.

Which is exactly what Mowbray was on about getting at Rovers months ago, maybe as long as a year.

Since then he has said the system was financed and had player vid on call plus complete up to the minute stats on every player being looked at.

I thought it was operative hence the Lithuanian lad and the lad from Gibraltar.

I recall Mowbray waxing lyrical on how under the IT based scouting system  they could look around the globe, sift through players and refer only prime to the recruitment section.

Now it sounds like Rovers have just discovered the New World called Europe.

5 hours ago, 47er said:

In Indian style, the owners probably tell him what they think he wishes to hear and then go away and forget about it.

Every person I know who's been to India comments on that aspect of their culture.

Wow.  Is this kind of crap acceptable?

Edited by steelcityblue

12 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

thanks for the reply. 

Have you seen Bernard Tekpetey play? right winger from SC Paderborn. scored 9 goals and 4 assist

Have you seen Lukas Hinterseer play? Austrian Striker who plays for VFL Bochum. scored 12 goals this season. out of contract in summer

Both players from Bundesliga 2. I just had a look at stats just now. 

Seen highlights of Tekpetey, good player from what I've seen, the issue with him is that there will be decent Bundesliga clubs looking to sign him already. Hinterseer is one we might be able to pull off, he didn't really do it at Ingolstadt when they were in the Bundesliga, he is defo worth a punt but I suspect he's running his contract down for a reason... 

Edited by Neal

12 minutes ago, Neal said:

Seen highlights of Tekpetey, good player from what I've seen, the issue with him is that there will be decent Bundesliga clubs looking to sign them already. Hinterseer is one we might be able to pull off, he didn't really do it at Ingolstadt when they were in the Bundesliga, he is defo worth a punt but I suspect he's ru ning his contract down for a reason. 

What a signing Onel Hernández has been for Norwich from the Bundesliga 2. Everytime I’ve seen him play he looks a real player, doubt he’d have cost too much either. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Welcome to 2019. “They’ll” be calling you Cisgender next. (As an insult!)

I had to look that up on Google. I'm pretty sure I'm one of them, aged 66 I find out I'm something I never knew I was.

Can't help thinking that a lot of uk based folk need to travel more and I mean outside of the UK and Europe. Get some exposure to real bias, bigotry and racism. Asia is a good place for a tame start.

7 minutes ago, 47er said:

I should add the rationale behind this. Indians don't like to offend. They go along with what you say because, to their thinking, it's the polite thing to do.

Nothing in any of your posts is offensive. Indeed I thought the crap that @steelcityblue  refers to was a comment on Mowbray's pressers post Switzerland.

Just now, AllRoverAsia said:

I had to look that up on Google. I'm pretty sure I'm one of them, aged 66 I find out I'm something I never knew I was.

Can't help thinking that a lot of uk based folk need to travel more and I mean outside of the UK and Europe. Get some exposure to real bias, bigotry and racism. Asia is a good place for a tame start.

You weren’t until very recently. It’s a new term devised by psychologists and turned into an insult by misandrists.

7 hours ago, Butty said:

What a signing Onel Hernández has been for Norwich from the Bundesliga 2. Everytime I’ve seen him play he looks a real player, doubt he’d have cost too much either. 

Can't be a better signing than Pukki on a free though? Unreal business. 

59 minutes ago, 47er said:

I should add the rationale behind this. Indians don't like to offend. They go along with what you say because, to their thinking, it's the polite thing to do.

I would say that’s a better effort though it’s still national stereotyping.   I thought your first post was crap because you made a pejorative comment about how you think Indian people interact with others (which read to me as dishonestly). A generalisation that you applied to a whole nation/culture. ...and a view that seemed to be based on some people you don’t like (Venkys) and the opinions of family/friends.   

Just now, steelcityblue said:

I would say that’s a better effort though it’s still national stereotyping.   I thought your first post was crap because you made a pejorative comment about how you think Indian people interact with others (which read to me as dishonestly). A generalisation that you applied to a whole nation/culture. ...and a view that seemed to be based on some people you don’t like (Venkys) and the opinions of family/friends.   

We all drink tea, dont brush our teeth and speak with a posh accent apparantly. If stereotyping is the new rascism, this world is more fcked than I thought it was.

Edited by JacknOry
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Which is exactly what Mowbray was on about getting at Rovers months ago, maybe as long as a year.

Since then he has said the system was financed and had player vid on call plus complete up to the minute stats on every player being looked at.

I thought it was operative hence the Lithuanian lad and the lad from Gibraltar.

I recall Mowbray waxing lyrical on how under the IT based scouting system  they could look around the globe, sift through players and refer only prime to the recruitment section.

Now it sounds like Rovers have just discovered the New World called Europe.

Or he's trying to create a nice vacancy for a pal or pal of a pal ?

I suppose they need someone watching that screen and knowing what he's looking for then able to drop everything and jet off to see them in the flesh, not a bad number. Think i'll apply !

In other news I see it's snowing again on here this morning ?

Edited by tomphil

1 hour ago, steelcityblue said:

Oh behave!

We’ve had Venky’s apparent traditional Indian approach to business used as an excuse for their aloof and arrogant practices since the day they took over.

The caste system is still alive and kicking in India, and no prizes for guessing where on the social strata people who slap raja plates on their rolls Royce’s see themselves.

• Like 5

54 minutes ago, 47er said:

Load of utter drivel. I described a well-known aspect of India's social culture.  No perjorative  factor in it at all. Its the same as saying that the Chinese are superstitious because they attach importance to certain numbers or series of numbers. They think they are lucky.

Its the same as saying people in the north are friendlier than those in the south, particularly London. I could go on and on but I won't bother. No-one in my whole long life has ever accused me of racism and I'm fucked if I will put up with it from a dickhead like you.

There was nothing wrong with your original post. Your comments were clear and in context. I can understand why you are riled by simpletons who go “there” almost by default.

• Like 4

Ok Guys. I’m clearly out of step with the prevailing attitudes and mores on here. I don’t apologise for my stance. I’ve read almost every post on here for years as I love anything to do with the Rovers but it’s time to take a break. The constant Mowbray bashing is doing my head in anyway.