BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Mowbray’s Future

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

really? 

We were never going to get top 6 this season. No chance. 

depends who we buy and where from? I expect 7 or 8 signings this summer. 

Mowbray knows what needs to happen in terms of recruitment but he wasn't prepare to over pay for players in January. Surely this right way and what the point of getting your 4 or 5 choice for position you want a signing in for./ surely you want your 1st or 2nd choice?

You mean 6 or 7 more squad fillers who don't actually improve the team ?

• Like 1

Just now, Parsonblue said:

In fairness, Lowe is highly qualified and I believe to be very highly regarded within coaching circles.  From what I hear it was Mowbray's choice to keep Lowe with the first team.  I suspect because his work ethic is very similar to Mowbray in terms of the amount of time he devotes to the club.  The guy seems to spend a huge amount of time watching Under-23 games etc as well as his normal coaching duties.

It may have been Mowbray's choice to keep him with the first team after he got the job longer term, but was it Mowbray's choice to move him from the academy to the first team to be his assistant in the first place? I don't know, but on balance I'd say unlikely. More likely is he was told to find an assistant from within the existing staff or told who he was working with in the aftermath of the Coyle and staff exodus.

As I say I've no idea on his qualifications and coaching ability and don't know the bloke.

96% Back based on 56 votes

How anyone could think sacking Mowbray is the right thing to do is beyond me, but football is about opinions and I respectfully disagree.

My thoughts, yes, the recent run has been poor and performances have ebbed and flowed all season, but this year was always about stability, re-establishing the club as a Championship team (on and off the field) whilst rewarding the commitment from those who helped us get out of League One, whilst trying to add wisely to keep the club moving forward.

Personally I wouldn't fancy us to beat any of the current top 6 over two legs/final at Wembley so this ''playoff push'' is a moot point. There's no point getting into the playoffs if you're just making up the numbers.

If by some miracle even then we managed to get into the Premier League we'd be the least prepared team to make the leap since Reading in 2012/13 (who won 6 games all season and finished with 28 points - they've not been in the Premier League since, and are threatened with relegation to League One).

Expectations need to be kept in check, done correctly, the process will take time

Current promotion hopefuls

1. Norwich* (last in PL in 2015/2016 - 3 seasons ago)
  2. Sheffield United* (last in PL in 2006/07 - 11 seasons ago)
  3. Leeds United* (last in PL in 2003/04 - 14 seasons ago)
  4. West Bromwich Albion (last in PL in 2017/18 - 1 season ago)
  5. Middlesbrough (last in PL in 2016/17 - 2 seasons ago - Only 1 season in last 9 seasons in PL)
  6. Bristol City* (never in PL)
  7. Derby County (last in PL in 2007/08 - 10 seasons ago - Only 1 season in last 16 seasons in PL)
  8. Nottingham Forest* (last in PL in 1998/99 - 20 seasons ago)

* = Club has been in League One in the last 10 years

If on the 18th February 2020 we're in a similar position, then its maybe a question to have, but for now, the rebuild continues.

7 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

In fairness, Lowe is highly qualified and I believe to be very highly regarded within coaching circles.  From what I hear it was Mowbray's choice to keep Lowe with the first team.  I suspect because his work ethic is very similar to Mowbray in terms of the amount of time he devotes to the club.  The guy seems to spend a huge amount of time watching Under-23 games etc as well as his normal coaching duties.

As my mum used to say " What can't speak can't lie ", On a scale of 1 to 10 how well coached do you think we look as a team ? We make the same " individual errors " every game and we have been doing for ages.

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

As my mum used to say " What can't speak can't lie ", On a scale of 1 to 10 how well coached do you think we look as a team ? We make the same " individual errors " every game and we have been doing for ages.

Glaring!

Lack of fitness and not much pattern or method.

On top of that, my guess is that something else might be wrong. Does it coincide with the obvious message at the end of the window that the club weren't really going for it this season?

However, we have seen some horrendous performances before that e.g. Wigan.

I am damned sure the club is relegation- bound, unless some serious alterations/additions are made in the summer...

Certainly, though, I would be unhappy, If Venky's potted TM now.

• Backroom

I’ve gone for review in summer, he’s more than worthy of his job at present and the foreseeable but you have to decide whether he’s the man to take us further if there is some money to spend.

If they want to roll the dice and splash the cash there may be better options but it would represent a huge risk.

Think Mowbray can help us get to the next level but it’s going to be a big summer and one he will need to get right 

Edited by Tom
  • Like 1

It seems a bit harsh to me to talk of sacking Mowbray at this stage, although I did get very frustrated at the bit of the match I saw  on TV yesterday and I do understand that it must be hard to watch it go wrong at the ground. However, do you trust even the marginal improved version of venkys  we have now to improve on Mowbray if they do decide to get rid? I voted review in summer but I read the interview in the LT where he said about needing staff in the summer so perhaps that'll be the help he needs

Edited by gumboots
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

Venus is assistant manager as he always has been to Mowbray, except at Coventry where he was involved in recruitment and Mowbray had Jamie Clapham as his assistant.

I know Venus has had personal issues to deal with this season which was the reason he was absent a lot before Christmas, things seemed to pick up from New Years onwards when he was back in the dugout, possibly a coincidence though possibly a sign that his presence is needed.

I'm not sure what the crack is with Lowe but I find it interesting how he's managed to end up where he is. When Mowbray arrived he was immediately promoted from his job with the academy to assistant manager and then kept on whilst Dunn was demoted back to the reserves. I don't really know the bloke but something just doesn't stack up there with me. Maybe it's my paranoia after years of Venkys but I wonder how much choice Mowbray has had in that appointment and if none then who did.

The job was offered to Mowbray with the condition he accepted the exisiting coaching arragements and not to install his own team. He managed to get his best mate Venus a gig and later influenced the Waggott appointment.

Lowe and the goalkeeping coaching situation are major question marks.

All imo.

Just now, AllRoverAsia said:

The job was offered to Mowbray with the condition he accepted the exisiting coaching arragements and not to install his own team. He managed to get his best mate Venus a gig and later influenced the Waggott appointment.

Lowe and the goalkeeping coaching situation are major question marks.

All imo.

Well Venus does go where Mowbray goes, so saying he got his mate a job is a bit unfair. Many managers bring their assistants with them from club to club. Mick McCarthy always brings Terry Connors with him.

With regards Waggott getting the job, how do you know Mowbray influenced that appointment? Or are you just assuming he did? 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Well Venus does go where Mowbray goes, so saying he got his mate a job is a bit unfair. Many managers bring their assistants with them from club to club. Mick McCarthy always brings Terry Connors with him.

With regards Waggott getting the job, how do you know Mowbray influenced that appointment? Or are you just assuming he did? 

Yes, read my post.

It would be the mother of all remarkable coincidences for Mowbray to have had zero input into the appointment of Waggott as CEO and for him to just so happen to have ended up getting a job at the same club as Mowbray a short while after they were both working together at Coventry.

The level of Mowbray's input into that decision is questionable but I think it is very safe to assume at the very least he put in a good word or gave the idea a thumbs up when suggested to him.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Yes, read my post.

Ya, you said he influenced the Waggott appointment. That sounds definite, as in you know something. if you said you assume he influenced it, that is very different. 

I would just find it hard to believe he told Venkys who to appoint to such a key role 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

4 minutes ago, JHRover said:

It would be the mother of all remarkable coincidences for Mowbray to have had zero input into the appointment of Waggott as CEO and for him to just so happen to have ended up getting a job at the same club as Mowbray a short while after they were both working together at Coventry.

The level of Mowbray's input into that decision is questionable but I think it is very safe to assume at the very least he put in a good word or gave the idea a thumbs up when suggested to him.

Would it? I am sure people behind the scenes have been appointed to clubs where managers are in place that they worked with before. 

4 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Would it? I am sure people behind the scenes have been appointed to clubs where managers are in place that they worked with before. 

Examples?

We had no CEO of any description for nearly 8 years, then when they do appoint one the person they get happened to have worked closely with Mowbray a matter of months before?

I'm sorry, I'm not alleging any wrongdoing, but expecting me to believe that there's nothing more to it than a simple coincidence is pushing it.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Ya, you said he influenced the Waggott appointment. That sounds definite, as in you know something. if you said you assume he influenced it, that is very different. 

I would just find it hard to believe he told Venkys who to appoint to such a key role 

I don't go as far as to suggest he instructed Venkys to employ him.

More along the lines of Mowbray telling them they needed to appoint a competent CEO who could be trusted to run the club properly, Venkys having no idea of who or what to look for, so they trust him and ask him to recommend someone, and he points them in the direction of someone he got on with at Coventry, another club with maniacs running them. 

• Backroom
2 hours ago, rog of the rovers said:

96% Back based on 56 votes

So much for the kneejerk myth!

The reality is that very few people want Mowbray sacked. Almost everybody appreciates the job he's done and understands that Rovers is far from an easy job. With that said, there have also been some glaring problems under Tony's management - in particular defence - that have never been fixed and remain broken with no obvious sign that the manager is aware or concerned about our appalling defensive record this year. A little reassurance from Mowbray that he's aware of this problem and will be looking into sorting it out ASAP would go a long way, rather than comments suggesting all is fine and we don't need to strengthen. 

• Like 5

When Mowbray came in this club was in a mess he has since turned it round on and off the pitch ,so when a CEO is being looked for he,s not going to recommend a cowboy when asked and if this poll was taken end of Jan he would poll 100% stay , fickle fans or what !! Get behind him and ALL the players .

Just now, andymo said:

When Mowbray came in this club was in a mess he has since turned it round on and off the pitch ,so when a CEO is being looked for he,s not going to recommend a cowboy when asked and if this poll was taken end of Jan he would poll 100% stay , fickle fans or what !! Get behind him and ALL the players .

I don't think anyone is suggesting Mowbray was wrong to point them in Waggott's direction when asked for his view, or that Mowbray should have recommended a 'cowboy' for the job.

The concern is more to do with him seemingly being involved in decisions that the manager shouldn't have anything to do with.

Just now, andymo said:

Yeah well 96% isn't far off 100% is it.............

Just now, JHRover said:

I don't think anyone is suggesting Mowbray was wrong to point them in Waggott's direction when asked for his view, or that Mowbray should have recommended a 'cowboy' for the job.

The concern is more to do with him seemingly being involved in decisions that the manager shouldn't have anything to do with.

Is it really that much of a concern? A man with integrity has a good relationship with a bloke who is also our CEO and it concerns you?

I'd much rather a Mowbray/Waggot scenario than go back to the days of managers and executives warring it out for Madam's time! We are in a relatively good era under Venkys now - is there really anything to be concerned about? Seriously?

6 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

At any other club he would be getting summoned to the boardroom at 8.30 sharp this morning for a frank exchange of views as to what was causing the current collapse in form. I'd be telling him that if things don't improve significantly in the next month he could be on the way out. I'd also be quizzing him as to the imput of his coaching staff because for me we play like we haven't got any.

Having said that we aren't a normal club so it will be business as usual and the lads can laugh it all off just like it never happened.

Are you for real, well it’s a good job you’re not in charge, we are probably the most normal, the club has been in years,back in championship first time round, consolidation this season,and hopefully push on next,and if we don’t then look at the situation, just can’t believe there’s a poll discussing the manager.

• Like 4

Just now, andymo said:

Honestly I wouldn't have. I have believed a few months now that he has take us as far as he can which is mid table. January really papered over the cracks playing 3 poor teams. All it took was conceding one goal at Brentford and the flood gates opened and all the frailties that have been on show this season returned. 

You say get behind him and the players but what are they giving us to get behind. January showed that we had no aspirations to compete for the play offs and in his comments the manager has basically said that the season is over and that shows on the pitch as the players are playing as though they are undermotivated and already have one foot on the beach.

• Like 2