BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Mowbray’s Future

Baffles me that some Rovers would even want him out ? 

He brought you up last season and you are mid table in the Championship. 

Some big clubs in the league with big expectations and budgets to back it up.

Sounds to me like quite a few on here have expectations way way too high.

Reading the match day thread it's pretty obvious quite a few of the more vocal and prolific posters don't even go on yet are first to stick the boot in your manager after a poor run of results.

Be careful what you wish for because like us you have had some shite at the helm in recent years and now you have a manager that has brought a bit of stability yet some of you want him out.

Mark Hughes was mentioned :rolleyes:

• Like 3

Think a better poll would have been do you think we have made progress in the last two years under TM? Bearing in mind all the previous shite under the V 's I would say yes. It's like trying to turn an oil tanker around it takes a long time to change direction. League position wise we are where we were before Christmas. There was no call for a poll on TM then.

• Like 1

Season seems to be going unexpectedly pear shaped but careful what you wish for.

Before  Mowbray joined I asked a colleague who is a fan of West Brom what he thought of him. His answer was he was popular with West Brom fans but some of his decisions were “interesting”. I now know what that means.

• Backroom
53 minutes ago, CP Company Lad said:

Reading the match day thread it's pretty obvious quite a few of the more vocal and prolific posters don't even go on yet are first to stick the boot in your manager after a poor run of results.

Be careful what you wish for because like us you have had some shite at the helm in recent years and now you have a manager that has brought a bit of stability yet some of you want him out.

Why focus on the 4% and not the 96%?

4% of Leeds fans (I'm being kind!) are racist thugs that wanna stab someone in the face. 

But I wouldn't waste my day focusing on them. Because I'm sure it's not a reflection on the 96% of upstanding, responsible, caring members of the Leeds fraternity.  

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

At any other club he would be getting summoned to the boardroom at 8.30 sharp this morning for a frank exchange of views as to what was causing the current collapse in form. I'd be telling him that if things don't improve significantly in the next month he could be on the way out. I'd also be quizzing him as to the imput of his coaching staff because for me we play like we haven't got any.

Having said that we aren't a normal club so it will be business as usual and the lads can laugh it all off just like it never happened.

Coaching staff is the first thing I’d look at. We barely look fit and seem to get constant injuries. Get the U23s a new manager and look to promote Johnson as first team coach.

• Like 2

If you were in charge of the transfer funds and you're wondering how many goals that £7 million striker has scored.

Or you're wondering about the length of contracts given to aging players.

Or the dour unimaginative tactics that are employed by the manager.

Or the non existent atmosphere in the ground now that a third of the ground is closed and the fan base stagnates.

(just a rambling post)

• Like 2

Poor recruitment.

Players playing out of position.

Seeming lack of fitness.

Unable to keep clean sheets.

Regular last 15 minutes collapses.

Mind boggling tactics.

The list goes on....

Inability to recognise/redress all the above.

He is a good man manager though ?

He needs a kick up the arse and be told in no uncertain terms to get with the program imo but that's not what you do nowadays, it's all train, train and retrain according to modern managerial methods. (in all industries).

Think we've got him for the foreseeable future so we need to back him at least till we see what transpires in the next 6 - 10 months.

Only just, but the question is can he/will he be allowed to make significant changes in the summer. The Brereton deal was a massive mistake that cost us heavily this season. Not only can we not make the same mistake next transfer window, but we need to find some wonder deals.

if TM can't do that, then we need someone with an international eye that can.

1 hour ago, CP Company Lad said:

This line of thinking is infuriating and is the reason why we ended up in League 1 in the first place. If you don't aim higher than your means you will always do the opposite and underachieve. This is the line of thinking that was more than happy for us to roll over when we are in the Premiership and see every last one of our best players picked off without a fight. Because "who are we to stand our ground" when Chelsea and Man City come knocking, right?

Defeatist attitude leads to defeats.

• Like 2

Summer window and the business done within it will go along way to making my mind up either way. Its been quite obvious the areas that have needed attention for the last two windows yet they have still not been addressed. 

Edited by JacknOry
  • Like 1

Back for now.

He has his faults of course he does, that's why he's here.

He should be given the summer to address some problems and lets see where we are heading in October/November, if we're in and around the bottom 3 (which i think is really possible) then questions have to be asked.

• Like 1

• Backroom
15 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Summer window and the business done within it will go along way to making my mind up either way. Its been quite obvious the areas that have needed attention for the last two windows yet they have still not been addressed. 

Yep, think he's at the very least earned the summer window to show us he can genuinely improve the team. Have to say I'm sceptical based on his recent transfer dealings. I mean, our first team would normally be Raya, Nyambe/Bennett, Mulgrew, Lenihan, Bell/Williams, Evans, Travis/Smallwood, Reed, Dack, Armstrong, Graham. Only Bell, Smallwood, Dack and Armstrong are Mowbray buys, and of those I think only Dack has proved to be a significant upgrade. Armstrong has purple patches but still has a lot to prove. Bell and Smallwood aren't Championship standard imo. Reed on loan is good but unfortunately he isn't our player and probably won't be next season either.

The rest of his notable signings, loan or otherwise - Gladwin, Whittingham, Samuel, Caddis, Nuttall, Leutwiler, Hart, Antonsson, Harper. Downing, Chapman, Rothwell, Davenport, Rodwell, Palmer, Brereton. It generally doesn't make for great reading. When you consider we will likely need a replacement for Dack, a challenger for Graham's spot, a centre back, a right back, at least one left back, a right midfielder and a central midfielder... that's a lot of work for somebody with a chequered transfer record at best. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

Back for now.

He has his faults of course he does, that's why he's here.

He should be given the summer to address some problems and lets see where we are heading in October/November, if we're in and around the bottom 3 (which i think is really possible) then questions have to be asked.

Often too late by then.  Where you are sitting that time of year usually (but not always) sets the tone for the season. 

Anyway, it might not come to a sacking. Mowbray hopefully realises the squad as it stands will be in a relegation fight next season anyway. If the owners don't back and let him bring in better players in the summer I would expect him to resign (him being an honourable man and all that). 

• Like 1

Back him of course! We are more than likely to consolidate our league status after getting promoted at the first time of asking. People need to get a grip.  We are on a shocking run at present and the signing of Brereton seems to be an aberration, but apart from that he is doing pretty well! It's easy to let our current form cloud your judgement, but we need to look at the bigger picture and we are definitely on an upwards trajectory. 

3 hours ago, CP Company Lad said:

The reason I personally question the manager is because of the consistent trends with getting into game winning positions to then throw them away. 

Away to Leeds is a prime example, your goalie gifts us a goal in the 90th minute, yet you go on to win 3-2 I don't care what level football is played at that is terrible and it happens a lot.

Swansea away, Bristol city away, Middlesbrough home and away, reading home and away and the list can go on.

I don't have any confidence in his setup management to create a solid defence. If we conceded less goals we would be right up the table with you.

Under our owners it's a case of do the job while their interested because once they start getting board shit hits the fan big time. 

3 hours ago, CP Company Lad said:

You have a point but you don’t have to watch it.

52 minutes ago, Gamst said:

Back him of course! We are more than likely to consolidate our league status after getting promoted at the first time of asking. People need to get a grip.  We are on a shocking run at present and the signing of Brereton seems to be an aberration, but apart from that he is doing pretty well! It's easy to let our current form cloud your judgement, but we need to look at the bigger picture and we are definitely on an upwards trajectory. 

No---its the failure to sort out the defence and failure to accept that some players just aren't good enough that's the real problem.

No business in January seems to have deflated the squad.

4 hours ago, CP Company Lad said:

Aye Mark Hughes..

The same one who played here and helped us to promotion to the Prem then helped us win a league cup and stay up, the same one who came back to us as his first full time managerial appointment and kept us up again after sorting Souness mess then delivered a host of great players out of thin air for not much money which led us to some high placed finishes and trips around Europe.  The Mark Hughes who left everyone gutted when he took Citys filthy money and the one who since he left the club has never been quite the same.

Perish the thought we should covet such a return when he suddenly finds himself out of work and we are owned by rich people we allegedly have ambition to return this club to the big time !

Then again I suppose we aren't allowed to dream and hope if we don't get 25k+ every week (well when we are doing really well) ... ?

Positives:     

We've got enough points to stay up.

The team spirit and general harmony around the club. 

Home form

Negatives:

Shocking defence that costs us points most weeks. 

Mowbray's complacent  attitude to defence that costs us points most weeks.

Poor recruitment in general.

Poor quality of football with emphasis on inability to pass the ball. 

Away form

Constantly playing people out of position. 

He deserves the summer and the early part of next season as a reward for turning the club around. Unfortunately I can't say I have much faith in him taking us any further. The football is poor, the defence is worse and the recruitment is generally shit. His attitude is very complacent and he lacks a winners mentality IMO. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Madon said:

The aim this season was to avoid relegation, anything else was a bonus.

Unless we get relegated, which isn't going to happen, then Tony Mowbray should be going nowhere. 

This club was at the lowest point in it's history before he came in, that cannot be rectified in 2 years. Give the man time to continue to sort the mess out. He's doing a sterling job for me, despite the current blip. 

That to a man(or woman) or mid table at best seemed to be the opinion before a ball was kicked.  Now we have been in sight of the playoffs he needs sacked, go figure.  That said many of us are becoming more and more bewildered with his selections, players positions and tactics.  Given he has a history of apocalyptic collapses, 2nd half of seasons seem predominant if I am remembering right.  I wonder if fans of those clubs he was in charge if during those bad runs had the same concerns, be interesting to know.  So basically he can Captain the ship in calm seas but in a storm the ship sinks.

To the second paragraph, Mercer said the same thing when we got relegated and yes we can.  We are still seven points off the theoretical safe points.

Edited by USABlue

I actually think we play some decent stuff at times particularly in the final 3rd on the counter we just waste so many good chances and rely far too much on one steady goal scorer and one creative player. It just needs another striker who knows where the net is - they don't all cost millions and earn 50k pwk at this level - and it needs some solid defenders and that has been the case ever since before we went down.

My main gripe at him centres around that he's had windows and money to come up with something but not only hasn't he but he doesn't really seem to have put much stock into it at all. I don't buy into all this bemoaning the fact we can't afford Assambalonga and Austin they knew that from the start of the windows not just in the last few days it's just deflective stuff. They should have been scouring the planet for these guys other clubs seem to turn up players who can do ok they always seem to score against us !

There are other issues but that's just the way he manages so we expect it now and have to accept he'll never change, that goes against him with a few but it isn't a sackable offence at this stage. It has seen him fall on his sword at numerous other clubs after a few years though so the warning signs were always there.

Massive summer but it's not all down to him the button pushers have to back him and for the rest of this season the players owe him big time for the faith he puts in them.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

Positives: 

The team spirit and general harmony around the club. 

Is our team spirit really that good though? I know Mowbray keeps banging on about it but for me once we go behind our spirit quickly disappears. The fact that we have had a few good hidings this season and that we haven't won a game when going behind says to me that when things don't go our way that heads drop very quickly and that is when you really need team spirit. 

Edited by Ewood Ace
  • Like 1

I’m sorry, but this is embarrassing. I have absolutely no words. When you consider the utter shite state that recently promoted clubs are in compared us, I have absolutely no words. When you consider the the utter shite state that we were in when Mowbray took over, this is up there with one of the worst polls I’ve ever seen on here. 

• Like 2