BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Mowbray’s Future

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Not one bit. I went and for me its time the players step up and start doing their jobs properly. They are the ones on the pitch. 

If you asked a plumber to repair a leak in your house and the repair failed constantly, would you keep asking the same plumber back?

If he isn't already regretting making signings in January. He will be come the summer as we will look a less attractive club to join than we did in January when we were on a good run and on the cusp of the play offs.

Edited by Ewood Ace

I don’t think there is much of a groundswell with the match going fans for his removal.

He still has a lot of credit with folk for the promotion. Be interesting so see if this changes after the two home games we have coming up...

Edited by Mattyblue

Just now, Mattyblue said:

I don’t think there is much of a groundswell with the match going fans for his removal.

He still has a lot of credit with folk for the promotion. Be interesting so see if this changes after the two home games we have coming up...

He's got a free pass this season. It will be early next season when any potential groundswell starts.... 

• Like 1

Looking at the table the only positive I can see is that even with our absymal form we are super unlikely to be relegated. There's only 1 place possibly left - notlob and Ipswich are down and we have an 11 point gap over 2 teams. That's 4 wins to overtake us without us getting a point (although us not getting points is increasingly likely). I'd expect it would take both teams on current form most of the 11 games to make that up. Added to which there's a number of teams around us on top of those 2 which equally have to do better than us. It's not unreasonable to think at least one of those teams will also have a blip. Plus teams will have off days we have a few quality players so I imagine we will pick up a few points here and there to limp over the line. 

The point of this verbal processing and frantic looking at the table is because I don't think  TM can turn it around this season but equally I'm certain he won't be sacked. Our best hope is (unlikely imo) that  TM sorts it out in the summer. Whilst I'm not convinced he can I'm equally convinced that's the situation we will find ourselves in. A crap few months ahead but ultimately one that won't see us down. Worst that'll happen is it will convince Dack to go. 

Just now, Mattyblue said:

Dack’s going.

Mowbray was testing the waters when he suggested as much unprompted in Blues Bar t’other week.

Without Dack and with Graham and Mulgrew aging we've a real competition on our hands to whether our defensive woes are more pressing than our lack of attacking prowess. 

Not that I'd trust TM with it but £10 million invested well from Dack in this squad could really make it a top half of the table side. 

• Like 1

Although I'm as miffed as everyone the minimum expectation this season was to keep us up.. and it's likely that he's done that.. I personally believe he should be given the summer to bring in some more players to with a revised minimum target of mid table for next season and the season after that the next step up.. we all know it takes a few windows to build the team to what is required.

We clearly need at least 2 x CB's 2 x LB's and 1 x RB to ensure we have a squad that's capable.  We will also need reinforcements up front including for Dack as he will inevitably be leaving.

There have been times where we have played good football and I do think his mantra of 6 x Defensive players with 3 x attackers (ideally with 2 x speedsters) and strong man up front could be a winning formula for us in this division but right now it's all going wrong as he has been over loyal to league 1 / relegation championship players on the whole! 

1 hour ago, CrouchingNunhiddenCucumber said:

The Rotherham result not changing your mind is laughable. The football version of Brexit. 

Thing is people do seem to belittle anyone who shows concern. They take a goldfish view of each game in isolation.

Lose one and “here come the Mowbray Out numpties” (rinse and repeat after each defeat)

Lose four in a row and “Trust Mowbray FFS”

Draw the fifth game and “he is building slowly”

Win one and “where we all the haters now?”

If it wasn’t for a great run in January, we would be in real trouble right now, such is our inconsistency.

In particular, our away form is of most concern. It doesn’t matter who we play, we are second best. Four away wins all season - when Dack is taken out as a threat, or loses form, we are impotent. Clubs have worked us out. If Dack wasn’t our golden ticket in terms of a transfer fee, we should be benching him for Rothwell or even Reed for away games. The power of the transfer fee!

Mowbray needs to get a grip of things, take responsibility and stop blaming the players while continuing to pick the same ones.

A cautionary note, which somebody posted on Fb earlier... Birmingham were 14th with 43 points and escaped on the final day on goal difference, thanks to a gimme match against Huddersfield after 10 games without a win. We are 17th with 44. Who will be our Huddersfield?

CFD34B8D-F820-4C90-91A9-D70382944A14.jpeg

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

We’ve only lost 4 home games...

14 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Dack’s going.

Mowbray was testing the waters when he suggested as much, unprompted, in Blues Bar t’other week.

Yep. Phase one of preparing fans for the departure of the star man is to suggest it may be a sacrifice worth making to generate substantial funds to reinvest (Rhodes and Lambert episode). Phase two is for the 'contract talks' to stall. This will then enable the club to portray Dack as a villain for not signing up to a longer term deal (see the Marshall and Duffy episodes) and to convince fans the problem is the player and he has to go for the good of the club. Phase three is for the player's performances to deteriorate and so convince people that he's no loss if he does go. Phase four is for him to be sold to a Championship rival and for 90% of the cash to disappear into the black hole whilst we moan about a lack of affordable replacements.

Seen it all before.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Yep. Phase one of preparing fans for the departure of the star man is to suggest it may be a sacrifice worth making to generate substantial funds to reinvest (Rhodes and Lambert episode). Phase two is for the 'contract talks' to stall. This will then enable the club to portray Dack as a villain for not signing up to a longer term deal (see the Marshall and Duffy episodes) and to convince fans the problem is the player and he has to go for the good of the club. Phase three is for the player's performances to deteriorate and so convince people that he's no loss if he does go. Phase four is for him to be sold to a Championship rival and for 90% of the cash to disappear into the black hole whilst we moan about a lack of affordable replacements.

Seen it all before.

The problem is that the way Dack has been playing for the last few weeks we aren't going to raise much money by selling him.  Clubs seem to have worked out that if he is marked closely he struggles to make an impact on the game.  Initially there was talk of getting £25 million, then £15 million, I suspect we might end up with around £10 million if we are lucky.

• Like 2

I said at the time, IMO, it was madness from Waggott to extend Mowbray's contract to 2022 (think it's 2022).  Just where on earth do we get these CEO's from.  The sensible option would have been to put Mowbray on a 12 month roller with a pay rise reflecting last season's promotion.  I feel certain Mowbray would have bought that as I very much doubt there was a queue forming at our doors for his services.  

Also several have mentioned moving Mowbray to a DOF role.  To me, that would be absurd and pointless given, Dack apart, a poor record on player recruitment.

If Mowbray has to be sacked then Waggott should follow him out of the door.  I struggle to see how Waggott has moved our club forward.

• Like 7

Dack's been one of worst players in recent weeks. He also seems to be dropping farther and farther back, picking the ball up out of defence instead of playing with and near to Graham where he is most effective. Has he been told to do this by Mowbray or is he doing it off his own bat ? Either way, he's a far less effective player and he also seems to have lost a bit of interest. Looks to me as his mind is looking elsewhere next season.  

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

The problem is that the way Dack has been playing for the last few weeks we aren't going to raise much money by selling him.  Clubs seem to have worked out that if he is marked closely he struggles to make an impact on the game.  Initially there was talk of getting £25 million, then £15 million, I suspect we might end up with around £10 million if we are lucky.

If there's any substance to the multi year build claim that Mowbray keeps pushing then you don't do it by offloading your only decent player. Its one step forward two steps back. We are of course too reliant on Dack to create which causes problems when he's out of form or a marked man. None of our other midfielders have contributed anywhere near a sufficient amount of goals or opportunities. 

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

Indeed. 

And only two until February, ergo I doubt two defeats from Preston and Wigan will tip the balance.

A repeat of recent efforts in a home game against local rivals will result in pretty loud disapproval and discontentment.

1 hour ago, Mercer said:

I said at the time, IMO, it was madness from Waggott to extend Mowbray's contract to 2022 (think it's 2022).  Just where on earth do we get these CEO's from.  The sensible option would have been to put Mowbray on a 12 month roller with a pay rise reflecting last season's promotion.  I feel certain Mowbray would have bought that as I very much doubt there was a queue forming at our doors for his services.  

Also several have mentioned moving Mowbray to a DOF role.  To me, that would be absurd and pointless given, Dack apart, a poor record on player recruitment.

If Mowbray has to be sacked then Waggott should follow him out of the door.  I struggle to see how Waggott has moved our club forward.

Any CEO of a sports club who signs off a sponsorship deal with a company that manufactures a nicotine based product is a joke.

What's happened to all these great ideas he had when he took up the post (of being Mowbray's lackey)?

2 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Dack’s going.

Mowbray was testing the waters when he suggested as much, unprompted, in Blues Bar t’other week.

If he thinks he's going to get £20 Million for him though as he mentioned then he's dreaming. I think we'd get £10 Million-£12 Million max.

Edited by Ewood Ace

• Backroom

Other managers and clubs will know that Dack's form is more down to our manager and terrible tactics than it is his innate ability and attitude. That's not to say Dack's value won't have dropped since November - it almost certainly has - but it's not going to have dropped by £10m+. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Parsonblue said:

This is because we are so predictable. Mowbray has been here two years and our attacking play is basically a long ball to Graham or hoping that Dack produces some magic. Sides know that if they stop Dack then they are 3/4 of the way to stopping us. Yet the manager still hasn't been able to come up with anything inventive instead it is the same old game plan (if you can call it that) and players in attack every week.

He also looks like one of the biggest victims of Mowbray's lack of fitness regimen.

Edited by Ewood Ace