BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Mowbray’s Future

For me he’s got till the end of the year, I said at Wigan before Xmas I wouldn’t have given him a contract I’d reassess in the summer. He’s yesterday’s man. No one wants to poach TM so why did we show our hand that early?

Relegation, second when we were favourites at a canter to win L1, he’s done the bare minimum expected. Full of sound bites and cliches enough of hard work and tough memories. Need action now Tony or do the honourable thing.

Did Boro slump this early under him? I recall they went on a drab run of 15 games? Will get more time till It’s clear as coyle now Waggot hangs about.

We need 3 centre halves, Lenihan, Mulgrew are not at this level, they’re poor. Rodwell ain’t Mascherano in this team, given our plethora of average cms let him go.

Edited by Scotland1
  • Like 1

• Backroom
2 hours ago, Pedro said:

Please stop with stats like that. I'm depressed enough.

Apologies, it was as depressing going through our results as it was reading the stats, I assure you!

I still feel Lenihan can become a decent Championship CB, but he needs much better players around and in front of him. 

22 hours ago, RV Blue said:

QPR at home and Millwall away off the top of my head... I’m sure there are plenty of others.

Absolutely no way millwall and qpr were better than us in those games.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/17475892.mowbray-on-how-post-january-slump-threatens-rovers-season/?ref=mr&lp=4

On the poor defensive record, Mowbray added: “You’re not telling me anything I don’t know.

“It’s right in front of your eyes. It would be great if we had the old rules of football where you could change the team when you wanted.

“But we can’t. We could throw some youngsters in I suppose but I don’t think is the right environment for them.

“Let’s win a few games and then we can throw them in and we will see how the season unfolds.”

Does anybody understand what he means by 'the old rules of football'?

Just now, arbitro said:

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/17475892.mowbray-on-how-post-january-slump-threatens-rovers-season/?ref=mr&lp=4

On the poor defensive record, Mowbray added: “You’re not telling me anything I don’t know.

“It’s right in front of your eyes. It would be great if we had the old rules of football where you could change the team when you wanted.

“But we can’t. We could throw some youngsters in I suppose but I don’t think is the right environment for them.

“Let’s win a few games and then we can throw them in and we will see how the season unfolds.”

I think he's talking about the transfer window arbitro and how it stops you strengthening as and when rather than having to wait until the summer.

1 minute ago, arbitro said:

When there were no transfer or loan windows I presume. He knows the rules though. For a man of integrity and honesty he doesn't half make up a load of excuses. 

Just now, arbitro said:

Where the manager takes responsibility, perhaps?

When Mowbray left Coventry he admitted that the team couldn't defend properly.

History will repeat itself if he's not careful.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, arbitro said:

He means making transfers at any time of the season I think 

TM's comments would wash if he actually brought some defenders at any point. 

It would sound even better if he didn't have such a hit and miss record in the transfer window. 

I'm pretty sure a top manager would get us defending well as a unit with what we have. Big Sam for example was great at turning leaky teams into defensively tight ones. 

Seems like we've pulled into excuse central. 

42 minutes ago, arbitro said:

It’s right in front of your eyes. It would be great if we had the old rules of football where you could change the team when you wanted.

You still can, in the Summer and January transfer windows.

Mowbray says he's had owners backing in all 4 windows so far and it's been his decision not to spend at times.

Plenty on here were pointing out our weaknesses on a regular basis. 

One excuse after another. 

Edited by AllRoverAsia
  • Like 1

• Moderation Lead

The transfer windows have been the way it is for ages, that excuse doesn't wash.

It's his own lack of foresight that has left us with more centre backs out on loan than fit. This is nobody's fault but his own. 

• Like 2

Not sure he is using it as an excuse. Obviously he shouldn't have let Downing go in January and I think all of us agreed on that at the time. However our defensive collapse since has been so extreme, that I think all he is is saying is that he wishes he could sign new players now.  Putting aside the lack of recruitment in summer and January defensively, which we all agreed was bad, I don't think anyone expected Raya and Mulgrew to be quite so spectacularly bad. 

I suppose the problem is that we could all see that Mulgrew and Lenihan both played better with Downing ,than with each other.  Lenihan played well with Rodwell, but that the most incompatible partnership is Mulgrew and Rodwell, which is basically what we are stuck with now, 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

He let a competent back up defender go on loan.

He didn't see fit to replace that guy.

He said he had others who could fill in and had a few kijds he'd happily put in if needed.

He's now baulking and backtracking on his own words again and it's becoming annoying, he knows he's goofed if you ask me.

12 minutes ago, tomphil said:

He let a competent back up defender go on loan.

He didn't see fit to replace that guy.

He said he had others who could fill in and had a few kijds he'd happily put in if needed.

He's now baulking and backtracking on his own words again and it's becoming annoying, he knows he's goofed if you ask me.

He has certainly backtracked on that , now saying he wouldn't throw them in. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

He’s obviously realised he made an enormous rick in not bringing in players in January.

He's talking as if there was no transfer window.( Well, I suppose there wasn't for us!)

When teams are losing managers wander farther and farther away from reality.

16 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

He has certainly backtracked on that , now saying he wouldn't throw them in. 

That's what I thought although tend to agree it's probably the wrong time now but his bold confident tone has changed somewhat.  There'll never be a good time if we keep losing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Parsonblue said:

I think he's talking about the transfer window arbitro and how it stops you strengthening as and when rather than having to wait until the summer.

Good riddance to the old system where your best players could be gone at anytime. Under that system we would have been under constant pressure of losing Dack,  well until recently that is. 

• Like 1

Would he really have actually gone out and bought someone after losing a load of games ?  I doubt it because he's stated his loyalty to these players time and again after giving them all improved deals so he'd be trotting out the same soundbites probably.

He seems reluctant to put his head on the block and spend some money on someone ready made.  Dack, Armstrong, Brereton all young and have potential to cover their outlay or double it.  When it comes to signing older more ready made types he falls down badly, think Samuel, Gladwin etc. 

WTF are his scouts actually doing ?   Or is he yet another only picking off certain lists !

49 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Would he really have actually gone out and bought someone after losing a load of games ?  I doubt it because he's stated his loyalty to these players time and again after giving them all improved deals so he'd be trotting out the same soundbites probably.

He seems reluctant to put his head on the block and spend some money on someone ready made.  Dack, Armstrong, Brereton all young and have potential to cover their outlay or double it.  When it comes to signing older more ready made types he falls down badly, think Samuel, Gladwin etc. 

WTF are his scouts actually doing ?   Or is he yet another only picking off certain lists !

There's been the odd tried and tested signing like Whittingham and Caddis which didn't really work out, and he's inherited a very experienced group.

I suspect the answer is that he is told the way to get cash from the owners is to do so with re-sale value in mind and also the best way to impress the owners and win their 'trust' is to deliver a few massive increases like Dack will be.

• Like 1