BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Mowbray’s Future

He’s either lying about money being available or he was ridiculously naive and thought a few wins against teams like Ipswich in January, where the likes of Rodwell hardly faced a challenge all game, meant we could get to May no problem.

We’ll see if he actually does replace those that need replacing in the summer. If he chooses largely not to (or isn’t allowed to) then I foreee a late Bowyer era stagnation and then back to League 1.

• Like 1

"You might get a technically better footballer but he might not have the personality and the drive for what I feel is my job which is to have faith in this group. But hopefully I will know the moment I need to strengthen. That process has already started.”

His job is to make us as successful as possible by whatever means,  not to pander to his favourites. 

He survives on his sound bites which many swallow, hook line and sinker.

Almost every utterance from him carries the same theme.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

He’s either lying about money being available or he was ridiculously naive and thought a few wins against teams like Ipswich in January, where the likes of Rodwell hardly faced a challenge all game, meant we could get to May no problem.

We’ll see if he actually does replace those that need replacing in the summer. If he chooses largely not to (or isn’t allowed to) then I foreee a late Bowyer era stagnation and then back to League 1.

Lamentably, I have to concur with you final para.

Has Mowbray peaked? Or can he change alter style to help us get to the next step: play-off hopefuls? Footballers of any quality are egotists and Mowbray has all but admitted he can’t handle them. Managing a Smallwood or a Bennett is easy but they don’t win you Championship games. Something has to change.

50 minutes ago, Rover_Shaun said:

I am surprised people are only now realising that he's a deluded gobshite. After all he has agreed to work for Venkys. That only attracts that type of person 

Ah come on Shaun, Mowbray is, and will ever be a breath of fresh air compared to most of the previous incumbents of the role under the Rao’s. 

I share the thoughts of the legend (admittedly pre my time) Don Mackay - if one manager we’ve hired has a chance of putting us back above Burnley, it’s Tony.

The keyword Don used was patience. I might have more than most (alternatively known as being a h**py clapper or Superfan) but I think Don sees the same building process I’m seeing, that a club our size will require to compete higher up long term.

Whilst it might irk some for me to say, 6 months back into the championship isn’t enough time to judge any manager - the minimum expectation for me was consolidation, and after the decent spells mixed with avoidable errors - that scenario now looks an underachievement.

That outcome is testemant to the progress that the club overall has made since the “deluded gobshite” took over.

Edited by Biz
  • Like 1

He's earned enough trust and respect to put right his misplaced trust in certain players and put his words into actions over the summer. 

After that as far as I'm concerned he has to show progression. that has to be new signings, letting some players go, coaching methods, style of play and tactically. I don't expect or think we are entitled to promotion. Progression is key for me.  He has to start delivering on what he says as we all know by now with the dross that has had the hot seat over the last few years actions speak louder than words. 

The ship has been steadied, some small foundations have been built. We have consolidated and tested players in this league, this summer it's time to start progressing as a team and a club. 

• Like 2

It's rapidly sinking, but there is still a feeling that if Tony was sacked, someone who'd guarantee relegation be be hired. Saying that, Tony is staying since he has all his former associates in the boardroom and beside him. And he has a long contract.

We have to hope the squad is rejuvenated and Smallwood and the lesser talents are sold in the summer. There needs to be an aggressive leader in the defence for a start.

As for Johnson, I'd like him to have a few spells with foreign and/or lower league teams before risking him as a manager. Create a loan market for coaches first.

Just now, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

That’s it Tony - ignore Mulgrew, Rodwell, Bell, Williams and Bennett. They’ve been ace.

tbf Mowbray did go public on the rest of the defence last week on an interview on Radio Lancs .

"don't care if  defenders are scoring goals (Mulgrew and Bell I presume) their job is to stop goals and if they arnt doing that then they wont be playing next season " ..or words to that effect.

4 minutes ago, HowieFive0 said:

tbf Mowbray did go public on the rest of the defence last week on an interview on Radio Lancs .

"don't care if  defenders are scoring goals (Mulgrew and Bell I presume) their job is to stop goals and if they arnt doing that then they wont be playing next season " ..or words to that effect.

Mowbray will blame everyone but himself. That's how he operates. 

• Like 1

Just now, Mattyblue said:

He’s gone from never blaming the players publicly to slamming them in every interview.

Obviously feeling the pressure...

Maybe a new tact from Mowbray ? Todays players get so much adulation 10 bet player of the week this ..Rovers player of the month that  on top dollar at a mid table Championship club and going through the motions yet never suffer criticism. 

Once of a day a manager never went public on his players but in todays football the players seem to have the upper hand on managers.  The manager loses his job when players underperform and cant be assed knowing they ll still be here next season. A manager cant win today.

So why not go public and criticise ..nowt to lose ..he may actually get a tune out of them this way. 

• Like 2

The proof will be in the performances until May.

You are right, the manager carries the can, so he was extremely foolish giving bang average players new deals and generally automatic starting positions.

Lets hope he finds some ruthlessness in the summer or we’ll be back to League 1 in 2020.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/17485424.rovers-boss-there-can-be-no-complaints-if-i-make-changes/

As a manager, every time you lose you’ve probably made loads of wrong decisions, but when you win no-one comments. That’s the job, we all know it, understand it and get on with it" …........Mowbray said while continuing to blame everyone but himself. 

He's got to be taking the piss now.?

• Like 1

Just now, Mattyblue said:

The proof will be in the performances until May.

You are right, the manager carries the can, so he was extremely foolish giving bang average players new deals and generally automatic starting positions.

Lets hope he finds some ruthlessness in the summer or we’ll be back to League 1 in 2020.

Not defending Mowbray .. his players his  tactics etc etc  and captain of the ship  but just think todays players can please their self and carry on as normal after half hearted performances  apart from a few nasty comments on their social bloody media from fans who they then simply block. Wrapped in cotton wool .

I wonder how they d perform if they only got a nominal 15% of their wage for  starting a game ..60% for a draw and 100% for a win ..

I think he is right to call the players out. In fairness he has done the complete opposite to a fault up to now. 

The players were on holiday camp with no fear. It's clear that happened. 

Mowbray needs to do somehting because the reality is he does not want to get fired, not a good look. That would leave him looking at league 1 again or maybe lower championship. So if he ended up there and got sacked again, his career resurgence since coming here would be back at square one. 

He needs to be ruthless to save his career at this level. Simple as. 

3 minutes ago, CrouchingNunhiddenCucumber said:

You've gone past the point of no return with Mowbray haven't you? I feel for you because he isn't going anywhere. 

Ha, probably. I think it's more the narrative that annoys me. 'Tony is a man of integrity and honesty' blah blah blah. No, he isn't, he's like every manager in the world, he'll portion blame wherever he can to deflect from his own mistakes/shortcomings. He's now adding in a bit of 'I won't get the credit if we win, but get the blame when we lose' self-pitying nonsense that they all come out with when they are getting hammered every week. 

The Tony as Holy Man bullshit is just that - bullshit.  Integrity, values, honesty, working-class, down the pit, good human beings, biscuits, build a club, AARRRRRGGGGHHHHHHH. JUST WIN SOME MATCHES YOU USELESS TWONK!!

12 minutes ago, HowieFive0 said:

Maybe a new tact from Mowbray ? Todays players get so much adulation 10 bet player of the week this ..Rovers player of the month that  on top dollar at a mid table Championship club and going through the motions yet never suffer criticism. 

Once of a day a manager never went public on his players but in todays football the players seem to have the upper hand on managers.  The manager loses his job when players underperform and cant be assed knowing they ll still be here next season. A manager cant win today.

So why not go public and criticise ..nowt to lose ..he may actually get a tune out of them this way. 

He's blaming the players because he failed to address the weaknesses within the squad. No point blaming a three-legged donkey for not winning the Grand National. 

Poor do. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, HowieFive0 said:

Hardly like he has on Raya though! 

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

He's blaming the players because he failed to address the weaknesses within the squad. No point blaming a three-legged donkey for not winning the Grand National. 

Poor do. 

Maybe .. but even footballers from the Sunday League wouldn't keep making the same mistakes and lack of effort we see on some Saturdays !