BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Mowbray’s Future

Just now, JacknOry said:

We had been linked to him since last season, he had rejected a new contract, so many assumed that having sent Downing out on loan, we might be picking Bauer up on the cheap considering his contract is up in the summer.

I mean, as JH pointed out - loaning out Downing and two younger CBs with an injury-prone Lenihan and Mulgrew as our only recognised CBs (both converted midfielders) and then Williams and Nyamble (both fullbacks) as our CB options is quite suicidal - so any sane thinking person would be expecting somebody else to come in.

Absolutely agree. It all smacks to me of Mowbray clearing the decks to get Bauer in and then couldn't get him. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JacknOry said:

We had been linked to him since last season, he had rejected a new contract, so many assumed that having sent Downing out on loan, we might be picking Bauer up on the cheap considering his contract is up in the summer.

I mean, as JH pointed out - loaning out Downing and two younger CBs with an injury-prone Lenihan and Mulgrew as our only recognised CBs (both converted midfielders) and then Williams and Nyamble (both fullbacks) as our CB options is quite suicidal - so any sane thinking person would be expecting somebody else to come in.

And Rodwell too, who most people on here were saying should get a 4 year deal after the Hull game.

I accept that the injury's were a possibility of course they were, but all I'm saying is I can at least see why Mowbray did let Downing go out, after 3 clean sheets and 4 wins in a row, in hindsight it was a bit naïve.

Just now, MarkBRFC said:

And Rodwell too, who most people on here were saying should get a 4 year deal after the Hull game.

I accept that the injury's were a possibility of course they were, but all I'm saying is I can at least see why Mowbray did let Downing go out, after 3 clean sheets and 4 wins in a row, in hindsight it was a bit naïve.

Yes forgot about Rodwell, another converted CM. On that, I really think Rodwell only signed if he would be played CB. He really isnt cut out for that role - not yet anyway. Especially alongside Mulgrew. Would have him in CM - cannot fathom why he is not being used there other than this was part of his agreement to come here in the first place. 

Agree, naive is the polite way of putting it.

Just now, Amo said:

Does Rodwell still have the legs to play midfield?

Not sure, but I thought he played really well there at Bolton back in October with Reed alongside him, if that partnership could have got 10/12 games together then I think our defensive record would be a lot better, but for some reason Mowbray has to play one of either Smallwood/Evans, of if we're lucky both. They would be two of the first out of the door for me in the summer.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

I think the Downing one is very good in hindsight, you have to remember that when we let him go, he was probably in TM's mind 5th choice centre half behind Mulgrew, Lenihan, Rodwell & Williams, and no doubt he wanted to get out and play football anyway, we had also just won 4 games in a row keeping 3 clean sheets on the bounce, I don't recall anyone slating the decision then.

After that Hull game nobody on here could foresee the collapse that we would endure afterwards, with Lenihan picking up a injury straight away.

I think it's a harsh one to beat TM with that.

I slated it then. It would have been a sensible decision if you disregard the fact that Mulgrew and Rodwell are made of bone china and Lenihan and Williams have had lengthy spells out injured. Downing isn't great but I'd have him over Williams, Magloire or Nyambe as a centre half any day. At least he seems made of centre half type materiel.  And then you have the farcical situation were we let both of Wharton and Platt go out on loan. Idiotic doesn't do it justice.

2 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

Not sure, but I thought he played really well there at Bolton back in October with Reed alongside him, if that partnership could have got 10/12 games together then I think our defensive record would be a lot better, but for some reason Mowbray has to play one of either Smallwood/Evans, of if we're lucky both. They would be two of the first out of the door for me in the summer.

I wonder if he'd work in the 'pivot' role of a 4-5-1 with Reed/Travis in front of him?

Just now, JacknOry said:

Bloody should do - he is only 27/28.

Age isn't really a factor when you've been crippled with hamstring injuries.

• Like 1

What's doing my head in a bit is the lack of responsibility he's taking for performances and decision making. He'd have a lot more credit in the bank with me if he held his hands up. It's fine dumping on the players when they deserve it but sometimes you have to look inwards. Lack of activity in January and picking or not picking of certain players has really dug himself a hole... Not to mention playing players out of position repeatedly. He only needs to look back at his career to see why he's lost his job previously... Time to learn fella. 

• Like 2

Really dont think it is down to injuries - just niggles according to him mainly. It is him wanting to play CB, he has been saying it for years, even at Sunderland. 

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/sunderlands-jack-rodwell-says-unfair-14170675

He sees himself as a CB but it is CM that has won him the plaudits, big moves and England honors. All other managers see him as a CM but he has found the perfect manager in TM that loves nothing more than midfielders as CBs.

Sharpe just tweeted that Mowbray said he has "no regrets" over letting Downing leave. 

Is that true? I find it hard to believe and worrying if he has no regrets. I wonder does he regret not signing a replacement? 

It's going to be Williams and Nyambe centre half tomorrow 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Sharpe just tweeted that Mowbray said he has "no regrets" over letting Downing leave. 

Is that true? I find it hard to believe and worrying if he has no regrets. I wonder does he regret not signing a replacement? 

If that's true that's foolish talk.

I think most teams in this league have really bad runs. Its that kind of league.

My main frustration is a few times I have heard TM say he thinks teams have worked us out now.

I think there is some truth in that. But my problem is if he thinks that then why is he not changing things.

His idea of change is like for like personnel wise rather than changing formation / tactics / philosophy

Also wouldnt be popular but Dack has been fairly ineffective for a while now. Not all his own fault, but maybe move him about and try and free him up.

Get rothwell on also, give teams another threat to worry about.

Its all a bit groundhog day at the minute for me

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Yep lets put a Centre Back on the bench and let Nyambe take the fall.

Another opportunity passes by. At least we can sub Williams after four minutes when the first goal goes in.

Edited by CD_93

All the signings of number 10s have come home to roost, alongside the neglect of providing adequate defensive cover, together with his blindness for supposedly safer experienced players. PNE's two centre halves bossed Saturday's match and easily dealt with anything that came their way, if only we had anything remotely similar.

I expect Conway to be added at the expense of Armstrong, to leave our midfield tomorrow at home to a team lower down the league to us as being...Bennett, Evans, Smallwood, Conway.

Whereas it should be; Chapman, Rothwell, Travis & Armstrong. Rest Dack and play Nuttall up top with DG.

Defense:- Nyambe, plus any youngsters from the u23s. Allowing Downing, Wharton to go out on loan, plus not addressing the lack of a traditional no nonsense defender (not an adapted midfield player) has been a mega mistake. Lenahan, Mulgrew, Rodwell are all injury prone with TM placing all his trust that they'd get by.

Ps if that referee ever appears at Ewood again, I might very well self combust!

Rant over.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

If true - I call lier lier pants on fire. He certainly does have regrets but is not going to admit them.

• Like 1

Just now, Boz said:

All the signings of number 10s have come home to roost, alongside the neglect of providing adequate defensive cover, together with his blindness for supposedly safer experienced players. PNE's two centre halves bossed Saturday's match and easily dealt with anything that came their way, if only we had anything remotely similar.

I expect Conway to be added at the expense of Armstrong, to leave our midfield tomorrow at home to a team lower down the league to us as being...Bennett, Evans, Smallwood, Conway.

Whereas it should be; Chapman, Rothwell, Travis & Armstrong. Rest Dack and play Nuttall up top with DG.

Defense:- Nyambe, plus any youngsters from the u23s. Allowing Downing, Wharton to go out on loan, plus not addressing the lack of a traditional no nonsense defender (not an adapted midfield player) has been a mega mistake. Lenahan, Mulgrew, Rodwell are all injury prone with TM placing all his trust that they'd get by.

Ps if that referee ever appears at Ewood again, I might very well self combust!

Rant over.

Actually one last point...square pegs in round holes, should be the epitaph for TM's tenure. Play your best players in their best positions. 

• Like 3

Whichever way you slice it, even if we chuck Magloire in from the start, at least 2 of the other 3 defenders are shite. If we are throwing him on from the start I hope he goes:

Nyambe - Magloire - Williams - Bell

At least they're all in their natural positions. I know we use Williams at left back, but he played CB for Bristol City for the most part and it spares us Bennett at RB again.

If I was playing against us, I'd be playing everything down our left hand side. Whoever we end up putting there is just awful or out of position!

We also seem to be forgetting Joe Grayson, who was also allowed out on loan to Grimsby. I mention him because he is one that Mowbray likes, having been given a few chances in the first team squad. So that's 3 that we allowed out on loan with no option to recall, including one that Mowbray likes/trusts and who would surely be getting the call now to play.

I can only conclude this whole sorry episode has at least in part been financially motivated. I've heard some tales over the last 12 months about loan deals we have done or not done due to insignificant amounts of money so it honestly wouldn't surprise me if those lads had been sent out to bring in some loose change for a few months.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Songman said:

That Charlton game was a disgrace by Mowbray in my opinion. A tremendous following (3000?) down in the capital, feel good factor massive, league there to be won, and he practically forfeited the game. 

Smaller scale but I’m sure all those who went to Ewood to watch on the big screen feel the same.

• Like 1

Seems to me that Mowbray has simply failed to move the playing squad forwards in any way whatsoever since promotion. Given the financial backing he’s had and the size of the club relative to the league we are playing in - that really isn’t good enough. Next season is already a worry because of our two best players Graham will be another year older and Dack might not be here. There is a lot of truth in the saying that if you stop going forwards as a club, you go backwards.

Would any of you guys want to start next season with Mowbray in charge? Given how bad things are results wise, how he’s reverted to humiliating players in public I would say move on.

• Like 3

This situation is getting worse, definite amateur hour at Ewood.

not that’s any crumb of comfort but to the person saying nobody called for a defender to be brought in- wrong. If you look back I said forgot assambalonga, our defence is one injury away from crisis and I know a few others said the same. If we could all see it why couldn’t Tony. 

If this leads to anything near relegation the guy has to be booted for complete negligence 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MarkBRFC said:

I think the Downing one is very good in hindsight, you have to remember that when we let him go, he was probably in TM's mind 5th choice centre half behind Mulgrew, Lenihan, Rodwell & Williams, and no doubt he wanted to get out and play football anyway, we had also just won 4 games in a row keeping 3 clean sheets on the bounce, I don't recall anyone slating the decision then.

After that Hull game nobody on here could foresee the collapse that we would endure afterwards, with Lenihan picking up a injury straight away.

I think it's a harsh one to beat TM with that.

To be fair, anyone following Mulgrew and Rodwell's careers would wager their house on one or both being unavailable half the time.  In fact, Lennihan himself has been pretty injury prone so far.  The only one not injury prone was Downing.  Compounding that by letting the most developed of our younger players go out on loan was just madness. 

Nb.  I do not consider Williams a defender on any level.

Mowbray let Downing leave because he is a nice man and wanted to be fair to Downing. Wrong move and ultimately to the detriment of the team. 

Letting Grayson and Wharton leave without recall clauses compounded things. 

Poor management and no other description in my eyes. 

Mowbray is either too nice or too naive for his own good. Even if it made Downjng unhappy, he should have kept him here. He would be playing tomorrow and putting himself in the shop window for a move. Now we will have Nyambe and Williams there. I suppose it's good for Tony, becuase it means he can slot/shoe horn Bennett in 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

2 hours ago, den said:

Seems to me that Mowbray has simply failed to move the playing squad forwards in any way whatsoever since promotion. Given the financial backing he’s had and the size of the club relative to the league we are playing in - that really isn’t good enough. Next season is already a worry because of our two best players Graham will be another year older and Dack might not be here. There is a lot of truth in the saying that if you stop going forwards as a club, you go backwards.

Would any of you guys want to start next season with Mowbray in charge? Given how bad things are results wise, how he’s reverted to humiliating players in public I would say move on.

Where we are now, IMO, the name on the manager's door could well read either Kean or C o y l e.

I think, as a football manager, Mowbray is now failing to tick the boxes in almost all areas.

• Like 2