BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Mowbray’s Future

4 hours ago, BlackburnEnd75 said:

Would Waggott actually sack Mowbray? Genuine question.

Or would the decision be made in India and Waggott would just be the mouthpiece?

As Waggott would be fairly unlikely to ever sack TM hopefully the decision is well and truly out of his hands.

Can't see that the chain of command is that much different to when the Walker Trust were in charge. Any ultimate decision lies with the owners and Pasha is their eyes on the ground in the same way that David Brown was for the Trust.

The only difference is that the Trust would probably have given a lot more weight to the opinion of Williams than the Venkys would Waggott. Nevertheless Williams frequently got it wrong as well, hanging onto Souness far too long, failing to back Hughes and appointing Ince.

• Like 1

On 11/03/2019 at 10:33, Amo said:

I wonder if he'd work in the 'pivot' role of a 4-5-1 with Reed/Travis in front of him?

Fully agree, Rodwell (Mulgrew or Lenihan) to challenge for the first header from CDM, drop back into the defense to form a 3/5 when needed for Nyambe/Bell bombing forward, allowing 2 of Reed, Bennett and Travis to headless chicken around the pitch to get the ball. Dack to top off the diamond and Graham +1 up top.

Basically the Aaron Mokoena role. That bloke knew how to play CDM and never got enough credit for how much he covered for Warnock/Neil when they pressed forward. Unlike Smallw*nk and Evans who offer zero protection.

Can't wait to see 7 defensive minded outfield players lining up in 4 hours time as TM worries about the "strengths" of a team with 6 away points all season.

SMH.

Edited by Angry_Pirate

On reflection I think the biggest problem is that TM can't develop a team and is diabolical at doing so.  

The team that went down with - TM had very little opportunity to do anything other than to work with what he had. The results was ok - we got more points per game than we had under Coyle, we had a dodgy Huddersfield team helping one of our rivals, and we went down with a ridiculously high number of points. Had TM been appointed even a couple of games earlier, safety probably would have happened. Yes, he made mistakes and was too cautious, but it wasn't a terrible showing - a decent fight.

Second season - promotion. Of that only 3 - arguably 4 until Lenihan became fit - of the first 11 needed replacing. TM did well to get Smallwood and Dack to be midfield enforcer and creator The majority of the team that won the division though, was already in place. Graham and Mulgrew's goals, the defensive solidity, Bennett covering well in 86 positions. Most of the other players he brought were bit part players, bar Downing, or flops. In fact he didn't have a proper left midfielder all season, looked thin at cb, and cover for both Dack and Graham was limited. Point is that we did well, but most of the pieces were already there, and the problems that needed additions, TM couldn't recruit solutions for.  A case in point being the Whittingham fiasco - had Evans not done ok and Bennett well there we would have really struggled to have enough players at cm too. 

Problem is come season 3 those squad players who could get by in league 1, were always going to struggle a division up. This is made all the more difficult given that not a single player has come in who has improved the first team bar Reid. Add in the deficiencies within the squad - adequate cover at cb, adequate cover for Graham, a left midfielder, Basically TM has only really been able to use what he has got, with only a couple of decent signings in between. Thus when areas have needed improving, it hasn't happened. If you exclude Reid, it's as if the last 3 windows haven't really happened. Maybe you could make a case for Armstrong, but he hasn't really improved the team much either on reflection.  By now the squad needed a few key additions to make them competitive and balance out the squad but TM seems incapable of doing that. 4 big successes in 4 windows is a pretty poor return for all his transfers. I'm not sure if it's chicken and egg, whether we have imbalances in the squad because TM can't recruit, or because TM doesn't recruit well we have the imbalances. Either way his inability to do anything developmentally and only work with what we've got is always going to let you down when you take a step up.

For me, this  weakness, and TMs successes all come into this pattern of only being able to work with what he has, and being poor in the transfer market thereby being unable to improve or balance a squad. For this reason I think he has to go. 

• Like 2

If some one can calculate how many games we won when Downing playd i think many.

Maybe today that new indian guy playing..:) 

awfull awfull Rovers, today 100% sure we lose and even bet not give good money for that.

Time to Go, bring tony parkes back lol.....

On 11/03/2019 at 09:27, Bigdoggsteel said:

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/17490686.rovers-boss-tony-mowbray-discusses-whats-changed/

Tony Mowbray felt Rovers created an expectancy level with their January results - and admits the loss of Darragh Lenihan to injury has hit them hard.

Probably shouldn't have let Downing go then, eh Tony. 

Then Tony goes to the Telegraph and turns into Edith Piaf!

Edited by Leonard Venkhater

I like T.M. but I think it  has taken too long to get where we should be .I predicted a 14 position at the start as we just came up, and thought it would take time .

We have been shouting for a stronger defence that seemed to be ignored , and we are in dire need of backup for Bradley ; I thought Maybe Travis, but he like Bradley , have gone from great to dire.

I thought T.M would have sorted our back line  by now .

I think Tony is the right man however the drop from 3 points off the play off places to lower table shows issues.

I wonder if Tony is at fault as he is in a position for blame, However I think some players have got a bit too big for there own boots and need to perform more  .

I think I stated the obvious but do not know if another manager is the answer .

Stick with what we have for now re evaluate after the season .

I hope we will see improvement but how much longer do we wait ?

Carry On Tony and good luck.

1 hour ago, BlackburnEnd75 said:

Some interesting stats from Rich Sharpe on twitter about our defensive issues.

When Mulgrew has played(26 starts & 1 sub) we've W-6 D-8 L13. with 4 clean sheets.

When Mulgew hasn't played (10 games) we've W-6 D-3 L-1 with 6 clean sheets,

Total this season for is P-37 W-12, D-11, L-14

Interesting and damming of Mulgrew. I raised this a while back. You can see he isn't good enough in a back 4. He's not athletic or brave enough. No doubting his quality on the ball. Arguably our best player on the ball and undoubtedly our best set piece taker. Its a tough one, maybe being in a back 3 would help. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 4

• Backroom
1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Interesting and damming of Mulgrew. I raised this a while back. You can see he isn't good enough in a back 4. He's not athletic or brave enough. No doubting his quality on the ball. Arguably our best player on the ball and undoubtedly our best set piece taker. Its a tough one, maybe being in a back 3 would help. 

Mulgrew as part of a back two just isn't working, unfortunately. It's difficult because when he's not in the team we do lose a lot of ability when it comes to set pieces, but is it worth the defensive issues that him being on the pitch causes? I'd argue at this point that no, it isn't. The vast majority of successful teams build from the back, and as a CB I just don't think Mulgrew can be a part of that anymore. It's a shame and we've gotten a lot from him - more than I thought we would when we signed him - but at the end of the season it might be time to say thank you and put those wages to better use.

• Like 1

Just now, DE. said:

Mulgrew as part of a back two just isn't working, unfortunately. It's difficult because when he's not in the team we do lose a lot of ability when it comes to set pieces, but is it worth the defensive issues that him being on the pitch causes? I'd argue at this point that no, it isn't. The vast majority of successful teams build from the back, and as a CB I just don't think Mulgrew can be a part of that anymore. It's a shame and we've gotten a lot from him - more than I thought we would when we signed him - but at the end of the season it might be time to say thank you and put those wages to better use.

I wonder would he fancy a move to China or the states?