BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Mowbray’s Future

For me, he has now reached the point where he cannot turn it around. To continue now is to cling on to a job that has become too big for him and it will end acrimoniously.

He can bemoan his lack of defenders all he likes but this was a problem that fans could see coming and he couldn’t.

The treatment table will start to grow as players don’t want to rush back to be part of this car crash.

If Mowbray stays he will take us down next season.

Simple poll to be added to gauge the mood please.

• Moderation Lead

I’m out now, but I’ll do it tomorrow, unless anyone else can do it tonight.

Can’t wait for Jim Wilkz to slag this poll off on Twitter!

Edited by K-Hod
  • Like 1

Just now, K-Hod said:

I’m out now, but I’ll do it tomorrow, unless anyone else can do it tonight.

Can’t wait for Jim Wilkz to slag this poll off on Twitter!

If it gets people onto the site and voting I say go for it Jim. I’m keen to know what the current view is.

For me it is time tony went he has come in at stopped the ship sinking but its clear he is not the man to take us forward

To say we been playing decent last few month in his latest interview on radio lanc is shocking we been dreadful

Also throwing Rothwell under the bus for playing positive while others who been dreadful get no calls out for the poor form recent weeks

I suppose I'm struggling to see him turning this around.  We seem to lack direction and he can't seem to solve our defensive frailties. I like TM, but if he was sacked tomorrow I wouldn't be too disappointed. In fact, I'd prefer him to leave before the fanbase turn with his reputation in tact. I suppose weakening the squad in the January transfer market when we were just outside the playoffs was what irked me most. Just a couple more wins in the last 8 matches and we'd be right up there. Kind of criminal really. 

The squad needs a huge overhaul. Plenty of the current set up aren't good enough. 

Based on what hes done in the market so far, would anyone want him overseeing such a huge task in the summer. 

Even if Venkys loosen the purse strings, would you trust Mowbray to spend it well?

This is before we even begin to discuss the absolute defensive shambles we see on a match day.

Sadly, the next managerial appointment Venkys make will inevitably be another shocker. They are yet to appoint a decent one as owners of Blackburn Rovers. Bowyer was as good as it got.

So, are we prepared for another roll of the Venky dice? As it stands, with Mowbray in charge we are likely to be in a relegation battle next season (not that he can instill any fight in the squad, so basically we are relegated if he stays) so perhaps sacking him now is the better option.

The general co consensus is that we need up to eight new players who can be in and around the first team come August. The big question for me is do I think Mowbray is capable of bringing the right players in and then fitting them into a team. The next question is what he does with the dross he gave lengthy contracts to as a reward for doing their job. I'm wavering on both at the moment.

Future is the key word here. It's not about a bad run or a few (ha!) adverse  results - it's about our future and the fact that throughout this season and last that TM has clearly shown he cannot build on what he has. 4 good signings in 4 windows is not enough. Poor formations and players regularly out of position is criminal, as is the unbalanced squad. Most of all regardless of how good or bad the last few seasons have been is the question of whether the plot has been lost. Souness offered us way more than TM yet lost the plot by the end, and I suspect we've seen similar with TM this year - out of ideas and out of control. Get rid now. 

Dack will probably still go but having someone who could actually spend the money decently would prevent our utter demise. 

It will be a big summer for Mowbray and much will depend on the budget he is given.  There are a number who helped us out of League One who now need to move on and be replaced with more experienced players to add to our youngsters.  Personally, I still think the manager deserves the opportunity to rebuild in the summer.  His brief this season was to make sure we retained our place in the Championship - which I'm sure we will. 

I don't think the crowd have turned on the manager and seem prepared to give him more time than some on here.  Ultimately, it will be the owners who, as always, will make the decision about when and if to replace him.

• Like 2

My worries are two-fold:

1) if we get into an early relegation battle next season i don’t feel that he has what it takes to have us up for a fight.

2) if we go down under Mowbray next season he certainly won’t get us back up.

Just now, Parsonblue said:

It will be a big summer for Mowbray and much will depend on the budget he is given.  There are a number who helped us out of League One who now need to move on and be replaced with more experienced players to add to our youngsters.  Personally, I still think the manager deserves the opportunity to rebuild in the summer.  His brief this season was to make sure we retained our place in the Championship - which I'm sure we will. 

I don't think the crowd have turned on the manager and seem prepared to give him more time than some on here.  Ultimately, it will be the owners who, as always, will make the decision about when and if to replace him.

Fair as always. Yet that’s as grim a view as you have given on Mowbray so it’s a barometer that things have certainly worsened this season under him.

We will stay up, it’s pretty much a certainty, but mainly because of three very poor teams.

At the top end of League One is an all conquering Luton, Barnsley, a resurgent Sunderland, Pompey and Charlton.

Huddersfield and Fulham will drop and one of Cardiff, Burnley and Southampton.

In my view it will be harder to reach the play-offs and easier to get sucked into the bottom three. I don’t see what Mowbray is showing now that makes me think he deserves another window or even two.

We all wanted, want, it to work with Mowbray. It isn’t working any more and doesn’t look like it is going to. He is now blaming individuals in his patched up side rather than protecting them and taking responsibility for mistakes made away from the pitch that have resulted in us being in disarray.

• Like 1

Unpopular opinion- 

lambert is a better manager than mowbray. He has gone in there and made a shit show a hard team to beat now. Who wouldn’t have took James Collins and Alan judge here in January, I certainly would’ve.

why are we fighting with one arm behind our back when we don’t need to, better managers out there so why wouldn’t we want to better ourselves 

Just now, Bbrovers2288 said:

Unpopular opinion- 

lambert is a better manager than mowbray. He has gone in there and made a shit show a hard team to beat now. Who wouldn’t have took James Collins and Alan judge here in January, I certainly would’ve.

why are we fighting with one arm behind our back when we don’t need to, better managers out there so why wouldn’t we want to better ourselves 

Ironically I think Lambert will have thought the same of Venkys when he got them their money back on Rhodes. I wonder who they will find to come in and sell Brereton for more than what we paid! Thank goodness Dack cost less than £1m.

I’d like to shake his hand, thank him for what he’s done over the last 2 years and replace him with somebody who can keep us going in an upward trajectory.

The key reason for me wanting to replace is the fact that I don’t trust Mowbray to oversee the recruitment required this summer. For me, he’s failed in the last two windows. He’s spent good money in the wrong areas, totally ignoring the fact that we needed to upgrade in certain positions, and the fact we needed to bring in leaders.

Secondly, the last couple of months have been really worrying. Without a doubt we’re in relegation form. We simply can’t afford to get relegated next season. Without a change I fear we’re sleepwalking in to a relegation battle next year.

Third, we don’t have an identity. Look at Leeds, Norwich, Sheff U, Preston, Weds and so on. You know exactly what you’re going to get and it works. We’re inconsistent. Too many formation changes, too many different starting line ups. It doesn’t work. That’s something we urgently need to address.

I’d like a manager with balls, able to bring in the right players, and able organise a team whether it be gritty grind it out football, or more of an expansive game - not bothered as long as it’s consistent and it works.

All of this said - I’d only get rid if that sort of manager was lined up. Off the top of my head there’s a few out of a job right now that could fit. Hughes, Moyes, Allardyce, Karanka would likely take the solid organised job approach, my preference. Wagner, Jokanovic if we went down the more expansive route or whatever it needs to be called. They’re not conclusive lists by any means. And I’m not saying we’d necessarily be able to attract all of them, before people point out Allardyce wouldn’t work for Venky’s etc. Just throwing the type out there. IF we could bring one of those or similar in, i’d definitely go for it.

If we couldn’t find that type, I’d (slightly reluctantly) rather back Mowbray in the summer for a chance to get it right, rather than switching for somebody of less credibility than the type of names mentioned.

Forget sentiment. Football is incredibly cut throat and we need to do best by the club.

Edited by Don Said
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, Stuart said:

We all wanted, want, it to work with Mowbray. It isn’t working any more and doesn’t look like it is going to. He is now blaming individuals in his patched up side rather than protecting them and taking responsibility for mistakes made away from the pitch that have resulted in us being in disarray.

Which individuals has he blamed?

Didn’t he only recently give an interview admitting his mistake that he wanted to give last season’s team a chance and that now he feels he should have strengthened in January?