BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Mowbray’s Future

5 hours ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

If anyone still needs any convincing please google Tony Mowbray sacked and read about all the accounts from past clubs and players. 

A few that stick out. 

Coventry- after a run of 10 games mowbray walked saying he couldn’t turn it around but blamed himself for not strengthening the defence and getting the 6’4 hardman that they needed. 

Celtic- considered the worst manager they have ever had with the worst win %, concluding with a 4-0 defeat to st Mirren 

scott brown- baffled by his tactics, felt he was the best midfielder in the club but mowbray was playing him at left back and he felt he was forcing him out the club 

Scott McDonald- baffled by tactics and anything he did try wouldn’t work so he would revert to type but type didn’t work either. Wouldn’t play best team and was too loyal to some that didn’t deserve it.

thats from a 10 minute google search, so who is telling me that it’s all going to turn round and lessons have been learned?! 

Nah, time to go 

I've been saying this all season, not that I want him sacked but what we are seeing is standard Tony Mowbray stuff it has been since he's been here but his real strengths have lain away from the pitch and rebuilding the infrastructure of the club and up to now man management.

It will be no different next season no matter what happens in summer and like last season to make the best fist of this management style you need an extremely strong deep squad splattered with quality to allow for all the messing about and still remain good enough to win the majority of games.

That will cost a lot of money or will need some expert recruitment and dealing. It'll be so vital we get a good start again so that's why it's vital we finish this season as well as possible to give something to build on in summer instead of having to pull it all apart again.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Coventry- after a run of 10 games mowbray walked saying he couldn’t turn it around but blamed himself for not strengthening the defence and getting the 6’4 hardman that they needed. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37502741

Interesting article.

"I probably let them down by not getting in the big 6ft 4in centre-half we were after, who could have been a man and help us keep clean sheets"

He's literally making the same mistake. 

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37502741

Interesting article.

"I probably let them down by not getting in the big 6ft 4in centre-half we were after, who could have been a man and help us keep clean sheets"

He's literally making the same mistake. 

Jesus Christ. I defy even Chaddy to say he’s not worried after reading that. 

8 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

After a run of 6 points from 10 games Mowbray resigned at Coventry, saying he was an “honourable guy”. We have 4 points from 9 games, so fail to win at Villa and we will see if he is still the same “honourable guy”.

Suspect the long contract might have altered his principals.

Hughes is a busted flush. Not done anything much since he left here. As for Tony, was the right person at the right time, but has probably done all he can. If we want a serious promotion push, then a new person needs to come in. Do I trust Venkys to get that person in, and not some complete turnip like Coyle? Nope.

I can't think of any names at the moment, though Wagner is probably free.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Scotland1 said:

Could we realistically attract mark hughes?

As a club yes probably but as owners/advisors/budget probably not but if we or they had any serious ambitions they'd certainly look into it.

12 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

After a run of 6 points from 10 games Mowbray resigned at Coventry, saying he was an “honourable guy”. We have 4 points from 9 games, so fail to win at Villa and we will see if he is still the same “honourable guy”.

It’s an interesting point.

He seems to be a pretty emotional bloke in that he speaks with his heart rather than his head.

I don’t see us beating Villa and I don’t see him walking.

Problem with Mowbray is, in my view, he does has an idealised system of playing in his head but either he doesn’t bring in the right players to fit the system or the ones that do fit he doesn’t trust them. So we just end up as a brittle, cautious mess with little discernible style of play.

He likes ‘ball playing centre halves’, but instead of bringing in actual centre halves that can play a bit, he plays converted, weak and/or slow midfielders back there that have little defensive nous.

Or he brings in the likes of Rothwell and a plethora of ‘number 10s’, but bottles their selection time and again, so back in goes the likes of Smallwood and Conway.

Its obviously becoming a pattern with him, wherever he is.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Norbert Rassragr said:

Hughes is a busted flush. Not done anything much since he left here. As for Tony, was the right person at the right time, but has probably done all he can. If we want a serious promotion push, then a new person needs to come in. Do I trust Venkys to get that person in, and not some complete turnip like Coyle? Nope.

I can't think of any names at the moment, though Wagner is probably free.

Hughes is exactly what Rovers need and I think we are what he needs too. He would certainly change the training/fitness regime. They used to play 100 minute matches in training. Knows the club inside out, Ewood and the training ground. The Venkys element would be the difficult bit as Williams dealt with the owners but I expect he could handle it. One thing’s for sure, if Hughes came in and “did a Lambert” then it would be taken more seriously.

If Mowbray was to go now, it’d be the obvious thing to give Johnson the reigns until the end of the season - certainly over Venus or Lowe.

I worry that we're witnessing the signs of the manager 'losing the plot'. If we look back at Mowbray's career for whatever reason things have unravelled in spectacular fashion after positive starts at all his clubs in England - WBA, Boro, Coventry - all around about the point he's at here e.g. 2-3 years in. At all those clubs he was liked and respected by fans for being nice and honest but many reports read similar to what we're seeing here.

I hope I'm wrong and I dearly hope he turns this around but our shocking form is now being picked up by the national broadcasters. When you're entering 1 win in 10 territory  and 7 defeat in 9 which we are approaching it becomes a major concern and more than a blip. I wasn't fooled by an average performance against a dismal Wigan team which thankfully we got the win from. We're a mess in most aspects of football - selection, tactics, fitness, organisation and goalscoring. 

I'd suggest anyone who merely wants to ignore the next 8 games as being irrelevant and judge Mowbray purely from the summer onwards is barking up the wrong tree. 

Edited by JHRover
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, The Axe said:

Venky's might pull the trigger but not before someone else loads the gun. Allardyce went on Anderson's recommendation, Kean, Berg and Appleton on Shebby's. Bowyer was fingered by Suhail Pasha who got burned by the Lambert appointment and has become more cautious. Hence the delay in getting rid of Coyle even when goaded to it by Senior. Its going to take a long run of bad results before Pasha sticks his neck out again.

Good analysis. He’s not going anywhere for six months imo no matter how many times the Back or Sack poll gets reset on here. And Suhail’s relationship with the family will be a lot more complex than being their Rovers man so he’ll no doubt balance whatever is going on with his other accountabilities with whatever he recommends (or doesn’t) about Rovers. My guess is that losing 7 out of 9 isn’t going to get very high up his agenda.

Just now, Exiled in Toronto said:

Good analysis. He’s not going anywhere for six months imo no matter how many times the Back or Sack poll gets reset on here. And Suhail’s relationship with the family will be a lot more complex than being their Rovers man so he’ll no doubt balance whatever is going on with his other accountabilities with whatever he recommends (or doesn’t) about Rovers. My guess is that losing 7 out of 9 isn’t going to get very high up his agenda.

The Tony Shrug writ large. 

16 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Hughes is exactly what Rovers need and I think we are what he needs too. He would certainly change the training/fitness regime. They used to play 100 minute matches in training. Knows the club inside out, Ewood and the training ground. The Venkys element would be the difficult bit as Williams dealt with the owners but I expect he could handle it. One thing’s for sure, if Hughes came in and “did a Lambert” then it would be taken more seriously.

If Mowbray was to go now, it’d be the obvious thing to give Johnson the reigns until the end of the season - certainly over Venus or Lowe.

We need someone like Hughes when he was here, but Mark himself seems to have lost it. It went wrong at Stoke, after a good few seasons, and he was poor at Southampton and Fulham. And he had Williams who was a good person to have with regards to the owners. Now we have Waggott, Pasha and Balaji Rao in some strange set up that is never very clear. 

Hughes was brilliant and I appreciated his efforts here but calls for his return is a bit too heart over head for me. Mind you, no other names really jump out at me.

12 hours ago, scotchrover said:

Mowbray’s job was to keep us up this year, nothing more, nothing less. He’s done that: Should he address the defensive situation in summer (and give Derek Williams to a club in League 1), we’ll progress. If he doesn’t, he be out of a job, because we’ll be in a relegation battle. 

Would 21st have been mission accomplished in your mind?

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

The Tony Shrug writ large. 

Haven’t the last seven years taught you anything about what’s wrong with our club? You post 50 times a day moaning about Mowbray as though he is the only issue in an otherwise well-run, normal club.

Mowbray, a washed-up bloke on the dole nearing retirement age, was getting calls from people in the game saying he was mad to come here. The one time we got an actual current manager he walked. The one time we seemed likely to get an actual current successful manager, someone, we know not who, nixed it and parachuted in Coyle. 

Mowbray will get fired when it suits the agenda of whoever decides these things, which will have nothing to do with what the fans think or want, nor how our results are going.

• Like 3