BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Mowbray’s Future

Just now, BlackburnEnd75 said:

Thats the worry, He walked away at Coventry but he had a set goal there and didn't think he could achieve it. I bet he stills thinks he could turn this around so doubt he would do so here. I've no idea whether the Venkys would sack him before the start of next season. My guess is not.

I would say that is a much safer prediction than one of Mercers.

His aim this season was consolidate, so I don't see him walking. You would never know with the Venkys, but I can't see him getting sacked either. Unless this stinker of a run continues, then who knows. I would say it's pretty much a cert that Villa are going to spank us next game. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

21 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Souness as DOF to guide the lads.........

I love Souey but him and his mate Willie Mackay were a bit ropey ?

I'd just chuck him in the 5 asides he'd still dish a bit out and hopefully boot the likes of Evans up in the air to get some kind of reaction.

4 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

He has to sort his defence out, it's as simple as that. 

Goal scoring isn't a problem for this team, we're 11th highest scorers in the league and only 3 off being 8th top scorers. We've even scored more than freewheeling Frank Lampard's Derby County Football Club. We've scored 14 more than the 5th placed team and more than the teams in 9th and 10th. Even if we only get 1 more goal a game till the end of the season we'll score more than practically every team outside the top 6  did last season did in this league. 

The other side of the coin is we're 3 goals away from having the worst defence in this league. We've conceded 60, Bolton 63 and Rotherham and Ipswich 61 and 62 respectively. The season we went down we only conceded 65. 

For Mowbray to come out and say he knows where the problem is (no shit sherlock!!) only 2 months after saying he would struggle to find better CB's than the 4 he has now is breath taking. He either lied then or he's incompetent. Our CB's are L1 with the exception of Lenihan. Rodwell Williams and Mulgrew are simply not good enough at this level, and that's before we add Bell and Raya to the mix.

So please lets stop with this Mowbray is a man of integrity/honesty BS.  He's nothing of the sort. He'll do whatever it takes avoid responsibility for results, and if that involves publicly throwing his players under the bus then he will.  

Agree with lots of this post but less so about our attacking prowess. I think scoring goals is a problem although am surprised by those stats which are more positive then I thought. 

The reason I think our attack is and will be a problem is as follows:

1 There are only really 3 goal threats in the team, Graham, Dack and Mulgrew. That is a problem of itself before you consider things even further. There's no other player you would expect 5+ goals from that is an issue. 

2 One of those attacking options causes just as much problems for our defence as he does support our attack. Has he scored or cost us more goals - difficult to say, but regardless it's not a great position to be in. 

3 Looking to the future Dack is most likely off and age will catch up with Graham at some point - we could be left with even fewer goal threats. 

4 I think our lack of attacking ability/creativity/ball retention makes the defense worse as it just invites pressure on the defence. Teams get so many chances in part imo because we rarely occupy them defensively. Even when we have the ball they're generally not pressed to defend as we play it about our back line. 

5 There's been numerous games and reports when we didn't capitalise on our domination to get a goal. Brentford we should have been 3 up, early games Vs Reading and Millwall also spring to mind of times we couldn't kill teams off and get deserved wins. Other than Wigan how many times have we scored 3 goals - very few I think. 

6 Finally point number 1 again considering the rest of the squad. Ok appreciate this is kind of the same thing but when you have a midfield of Evans, Bennett etc you ain't going to get many goals. None of our other strikers really have many goals in them either - couldn't see any breaking double figures for the season. 

Don't get me wrong the defence is appalling and a huge problem for us. However I don't think our attack is up to much either and probably makes our defensive issues even more serious. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

Agree with lots of this post but less so about our attacking prowess. I think scoring goals is a problem although am surprised by those stats which are more positive then I thought. 

The reason I think our attack is and will be a problem is as follows:

1 There are only really 3 goal threats in the team, Graham, Dack and Mulgrew. That is a problem of itself before you consider things even further. There's no other player you would expect 5+ goals from that is an issue. 

2 One of those attacking options causes just as much problems for our defence as he does support our attack. Has he scored or cost us more goals - difficult to say, but regardless it's not a great position to be in. 

3 Looking to the future Dack is most likely off and age will catch up with Graham at some point - we could be left with even fewer goal threats. 

4 I think our lack of attacking ability/creativity/ball retention makes the defense worse as it just invites pressure on the defence. Teams get so many chances in part imo because we rarely occupy them defensively. Even when we have the ball they're generally not pressed to defend as we play it about our back line. 

5 There's been numerous games and reports when we didn't capitalise on our domination to get a goal. Brentford we should have been 3 up, early games Vs Reading and Millwall also spring to mind of times we couldn't kill teams off and get deserved wins. Other than Wigan how many times have we scored 3 goals - very few I think. 

6 Finally point number 1 again considering the rest of the squad. Ok appreciate this is kind of the same thing but when you have a midfield of Evans, Bennett etc you ain't going to get many goals. None of our other strikers really have many goals in them either - couldn't see any breaking double figures for the season. 

Don't get me wrong the defence is appalling and a huge problem for us. However I don't think our attack is up to much either and probably makes our defensive issues even more serious. 

My point was purely based on stats - and statistically goal scoring isn't a problem which is all I said. I didn't pass comment on how we score those goals. 

As for on our attacking prowess I've said it many times - we are one-dimensional in the way we attack teams and rely heavily Grahams ability to hold up the ball and Dack's goal scoring instinct. We rarely pass through teams to create goals, or get down the wing and score from crosses. I also made the point a week or two ago that Mulgrew is a huge problem because he costs so many goals yet contributes so much up the other end. 

The problems are there for all to see. With Graham a year older, Dack potentially on his way and Mulgrew not playing we are going to have to find 40-50 goals from elsewhere. 

Mowbray has a huge summer ahead of him if we want to escape a relegation battle next season. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, blueboy3333 said:

My point was purely based on stats - and statistically goal scoring isn't a problem which is all I said. I didn't pass comment on how we score those goals. 

As for on our attacking prowess I've said it many times - we are one-dimensional in the way we attack teams and rely heavily Grahams ability to hold up the ball and Dack's goal scoring instinct. We rarely pass through teams to create goals, or get down the wing and score from crosses. I also made the point a week or two ago that Mulgrew is a huge problem because he costs so many goals yet contributes so much up the other end. 

The problems are there for all to see. With Graham a year older, Dack potentially on his way and Mulgrew not playing we are going to have to find 40-50 goals from elsewhere. 

Mowbray has a huge summer ahead of him if we want to escape a relegation battle next season. 

One thing I would like to see before the end of the season is a proper attempt at getting a much more potent threat from the wide areas. You are right, we are too reliant on Dack and Graham going forward, aside from Mulgrews set pieces.

I feel like this defensive wide man crap is hindering us going forward whilst I am not convinced that it gives us the added defensive stability that Mowbray thinks it does. I would like to see 2 from Rothwell, Armstrong and Chapman, the latter should not just be a 20 minute man.

I would also like to see Rodwell played alongside Travis in central midfield. 

• Like 4

If Mowbray is being honest and he's only just realised we need an overhaul in defence then that is a massive worry.

It was plain to see in summer that we needed a CB and a LB. 

There are PLENTY of defenders available for a fraction of what we spent in summer (£7.6m).

As much as I like Mowbray as a man, I don't think I'd give him the summer. He has messed up every transfer window he's been in charge of so far, I can't see that changing.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

It wasn't a criticism, just a disagreement with a comment! 

I think we think very similarly regarding our attack, my point was the stats seem very misleading in this manner - a bit like Lowe's pass completion rate for example - as attack is a huge problem despite what the stats say.  

Agree too that its a huge summer. If only TM had another couple of windows available to sort it out instead of just this summer... 

• Like 1

• Backroom
2 hours ago, Blue blood said:

Other than Wigan how many times have we scored 3 goals - very few I think. 

This season in the league, four times:

Stoke 2-3 Rovers

Rovers 4-2 Sheff Weds

Rovers 3-0 Hull

Rovers 3-0 Wigan

Not sure how that compares with other teams in the division.

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead
12 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

One thing I would like to see before the end of the season is a proper attempt at getting a much more potent threat from the wide areas. You are right, we are too reliant on Dack and Graham going forward, aside from Mulgrews set pieces.

I feel like this defensive wide man crap is hindering us going forward whilst I am not convinced that it gives us the added defensive stability that Mowbray thinks it does. I would like to see 2 from Rothwell, Armstrong and Chapman, the latter should not just be a 20 minute man.

I would also like to see Rodwell played alongside Travis in central midfield. 

Of course it doesn't, we still consider shedloads of goals!

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead
34 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/17515679.rovers-attacker-aiming-to-finish-the-season-strong/

Mogga on Rothwell. Comparing him to Chapman. Why does he sign people he doesn't trust and won't play? 

The biggest frustration of his tenure.  Why bother signing attacking players, when you're terrified of attacking the opposition?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blueboy3333 said:

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/17515679.rovers-attacker-aiming-to-finish-the-season-strong/

Mogga on Rothwell. Comparing him to Chapman. Why does he sign people he doesn't trust and won't play? 

Another weird and stupidly frustrating quote from Mowbray in the LET article:

Mowbray admits he has reservations about Rothwell’s ability to help the team defensively, adding: “I think he’s got a long way to go.

“He’s in a similar situation to what Harry Chapman was in at the start of last season, and as a football manager, I need to feel what works for the team and what they’ll benefit from.

Because were such a solid defensive unit as it is??...clown.

Just now, benhben said:

Another weird and stupidly frustrating quote from Mowbray in the LET article:

Mowbray admits he has reservations about Rothwell’s ability to help the team defensively, adding: “I think he’s got a long way to go.

“He’s in a similar situation to what Harry Chapman was in at the start of last season, and as a football manager, I need to feel what works for the team and what they’ll benefit from.

Because were such a solid defensive unit as it is??...clown.

28 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

The biggest frustration of his tenure.  Why bother signing attacking players, when you're terrified of attacking the opposition?

This is the man who played two left backs against Oldham because he was scared of their right-back - a right-back who still plays for Oldham in L2. 

• Like 4

He has to keep positions available for the favs in his pecking order so the others have to realise they'll be used or shoehorned in behind them hence the comments.

Or he could just be trying to get younger players working harder to get in and stay in the team ?

1 hour ago, K-Hod said:

He must make an exception for Armstrong because defensively he is as poor as we have and Mowbray uses him in a predominantly wide position like Rothwell and Chapman.

Artists and soldiers my arse.

Edited by arbitro
  • Like 2

• Moderation Lead
Just now, arbitro said:

He must make an exception for Armstrong because defensively he is as poor as we have and Mowbray uses him in a predominantly wide position like Rothwell and Chapman.

Our defending is that bad, it makes no sense to be defensive in an attacking sense when we might as well at least try and score more if we aren't going to be keeping them out at the other end, anyway....

11 minutes ago, arbitro said:

It's classic Mowbray. He gets very defensive when someone questions his choices. 

• Like 2

Unnecessary sniping towards Rothwell, just to justify his own shortcomings. 

And as stated by others, unfair application of his principles across different players.

Very poor from a manager. Hearing it multiple times a week from him now & it's really starting to grate.

Bad results can be tolerable to a degree, but snide comments like this need to be cut out right away.

• Like 1

His treatment of Rothwell this year is baffling.

Fair enough if he questions his defensive work, but why then did palmer get game time ahead of him.

Palmer was a less effective show pony going forwards and works far less than rothwell defensivley. Plus palmer wasnt even our player

If we cant stop conceding goals playing pragmatic football and 2 holding mids, then we have to do it another way as the personnel aint changing now.

Get rothwell and chapman either side of dack and push teams back. Find a way to get on the front foot in games and dominate teams.

Its an old cliche that attack is the best form of defense, but in our case its got to be worth a try.

• Like 4