BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Mowbray’s Future

16 hours ago, The Hypnotic said:

I think we overachieved at the start of the season but I’m guessing you think a solid start means we should have been in and around the playoff spots? He may have said he’d like us to bounce through the leagues and yes, some teams do have great success after being promoted but that’s very much the exception rather than the rule. 

The slump is concerning but I think TM has earned the chance to build on this squad and try again next season. 

I think a solid, middling season would constitute a good season for us. 

I agree with you that we over achieved in the first half of the season, but the slump has to be a major worry.

It's a pity we didn't add a couple of players before the January window closed, as we were on the up around that time.

In this game, you have to strike whilst the iron's hot.

I would reserve judgement until May on whether Mowbray has earned that right.

Should results not significantly improve, I would say it's time to move on.

My personal view is that if we are looking at a slow build, we would be better served by a young, hungry manager.

• Like 1

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/17545906.rovers-boss-on-midfield-goals-and-possible-formation-switch/

Tony's got his tactics truck out again. He always get its out when things aren't going well. Opium of the people.

3 at the back is out, and possibly 4-2-3-1, it's now all about 4-3-3. Gareth Southgate does it cos Tony's seen it on tele. Not until next season though cos players find it difficult to change formations mid-season.

• Like 2

Trouble is young hungry managers is a tag you can pin on Kean, Berg, Appleton, and experienced with a promotion you can pin on Lambert, Coyle, Mowbray.  So they've been down both routes although I suspect the real problem is who presents these guys to them and does the deals !!!!!!

Both routes are fine if you actually look around well in advance and do your own homework and maybe present a decent package to bring someone in from another club who feels he'll have more to work with here or bring in an out of work manager of genuine calibre who's maybe taking his time pondering his next move rather than facing applying for anything he can get his hands on !

As usual what they do is just gamble on long shots and one wonders if that isn't all part of the fun as far as they are concerned ?

47 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/17545906.rovers-boss-on-midfield-goals-and-possible-formation-switch/

Tony's got his tactics truck out again. He always get its out when things aren't going well. Opium of the people.

3 at the back is out, and possibly 4-2-3-1, it's now all about 4-3-3. Gareth Southgate does it cos Tony's seen it on tele. Not until next season though cos players find it difficult to change formations mid-season.

Easy during the same game though of course.

• Backroom
Just now, tomphil said:

Trouble is young hungry managers is a tag you can pin on Kean, Berg, Appleton, and experienced with a promotion you can pin on Lambert, Coyle, Mowbray.  So they've been down both routes although I suspect the real problem is who presents these guys to them and does the deals !!!!!!

There's a common denominator with all of them - cheap. Other than Appleton all unattached as the time of hiring (or already at the club), and even Appleton wouldn't have cost much to take from Blackpool.

You get what you pay for. 

• Like 2

Just now, DE. said:

There's a common denominator with all of them - cheap. Other than Appleton all unattached as the time of hiring (or already at the club), and even Appleton wouldn't have cost much to take from Blackpool.

You get what you pay for. 

Appleton I think they crazily paid about 500k compen or something but given who was behind that and who was pushing buttons at the club then it's clear they were stitched up with another dud.

1 hour ago, blueboy3333 said:

From the manager who is constantly changes formations during a game. 

Just now, davulsukur said:

If you're assuming we're getting relegated this season, then i'd probably agree with you.

Even then I wouldn't be so sure unless there's another Dack down there that we could snap up. Our one would definitely be gone while DG and Mulgrew would be older and we hardly blew the division away the last time - only just pipping Shrewsbury. 

On 31/03/2019 at 19:02, The Hypnotic said:

Yeah the Brereton signing has been a massive failure tbf. I hope he comes good eventually and justifies the financial outlay.

It’s all conjecture but I wouldn’t be sure that Brereton was a Mowbray choice. Anyway, apart from that signing I think TM has done brilliantly. No other manager has had the same impact working under Venkys. The players seem to admire him, he has integrity, and he had some success in getting us back into the championship. Not so long ago it seemed like we were a toxic club in free fall.

To turn this club around was an achievement that 6 coaches before him couldn’t manage. So yeah he’s overachieved with the hand he was given, especially since most of his tenure has been in league one where clubs bigger than us have struggled to get back out of.

To be fair to the 6 previous managers, they were competing at Champ level.  So far TM has overseen a relegation from that level (yes, I accept that was mainly Coyle) and has a team sliding towards the bottom 6.  

• Like 1

Mowbray does things that completely bewilder me, like start Williams,  Bennets shoehorn etc.....however,  he is probably on track with consolidation this season. I'm prepared to get into the summer but serious changes need to be made all over the pitch.  If we start next season  with virtually the same shyte in defence etc, he must go early 

• Like 1

Deadly serious. Yes, he's made a few errors. But this season was all about consolidation. Which we're going to get. I think our start to the season gave us false hope - I think I even saw a tweet from, Nicko, tipping us for the play offs. 

Ever since we've fallen to bits

The Newcastle at home and Brentford away games seemed to shatter us and we've not recovered since. 

I think Mowbray deserves the summer. He shot himself in the foot showing too much integrity towards the lads that took us up. 

Let's say he hadn't and had a massive clear out and bought a new 11 like Fulham and we were floundering people would criticise him for breaking up a successful squad, team spirit and momentum. 

I think he chose the correct path in giving the lads a fair crack. They've not let us down in as much as we're more than likely safe. 

But by starting so well they've set themselves and Mowbray up for a fall. 

I'd give Mowbray the summer to reshape things then make it clear he has a short window now to deliver and if he fails to do he's out 

Edited by Lie_still_Rover
  • Like 1

• Moderation Lead
3 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

Who on earth is that Peter Reid/Coyle mashup in yer avatar? 

He’s called Harold, I think. Prominent in memes etc as someone with an awkward expression....

41 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

Who on earth is that Peter Reid/Coyle mashup in yer avatar? 

You never seen the depressed smile meme? I thought it was apt for the current feeling on BRFCS!

17 hours ago, Lie_still_Rover said:

Deadly serious. Yes, he's made a few errors. But this season was all about consolidation. Which we're going to get. I think our start to the season gave us false hope - I think I even saw a tweet from, Nicko, tipping us for the play offs. 

Ever since we've fallen to bits

The Newcastle at home and Brentford away games seemed to shatter us and we've not recovered since. 

I think Mowbray deserves the summer. He shot himself in the foot showing too much integrity towards the lads that took us up. 

Let's say he hadn't and had a massive clear out and bought a new 11 like Fulham and we were floundering people would criticise him for breaking up a successful squad, team spirit and momentum. 

I think he chose the correct path in giving the lads a fair crack. They've not let us down in as much as we're more than likely safe. 

But by starting so well they've set themselves and Mowbray up for a fall. 

I'd give Mowbray the summer to reshape things then make it clear he has a short window now to deliver and if he fails to do he's out 

I agree with you. He trusted his team to have the ability to be able to perform a higher level. For the most part he's right. Playoffs were pie in the sky talk. Fulham signed a new team who couldn't gel and have promptly been relegated.

Upheaval for upheaval's sake is never good for a football club, especially as one as mental as Rovers.

Mowbray needs to make improvements but it's ultimately up to Venkys. Will they open their wallet to buy what is needed for a promotion push?

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead

Nobody was saying with this squad that play offs were realistic, but we were in a good position in January and failed to kick on. Look at us now, 4 points from a possible 30. Look at PNE in contrast, gone from strength to strength following a good January, when they were below us.....

It’s the lack of forward planning that grates with me. Relying on defenders with bad injury records not to get injured was silly. So was loaning our loads of centre halves. 

• Like 2