BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Mowbray’s Future

4 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Has Tony Mowbray become a managerial dinosaur?

Virtually all aspects of Rovers worry me.

I cannot see a pattern of play - I find most of our football drab and uninspiring (and to think some on here hammered Big Sam!).  I don't think Mowbray is tactically competent never mind tactically innovative and this shows in our game management.  We are overly cautious and rarely seem to take the game to the opposition - let then start feckin worrying about us for a change.  IMO, Dack apart, Mowbray's transfer dealing are very poor - I think Brereton and Armstrong are disastrous signings and there have been far too many Joe Averages such as Hart, Gladwin etc.  We constantly see square pegs in round holes - how the hell is that going to help either the team or individual players develop.  As far mental and physical fitness, we seem to lag behind so many teams.

Personally, I can't see how Mowbray can be trusted as the man to take us forward.  IMV, to give him funds for the transfer window would be foolish based upon on his record with us.

Some supporters detest change, hope things will change for the better, bury their heads in the sand,  Sadly for Rovers under Mowbray, I think we will tread water at best. 

I agree we need an identity of play but even if you have it the way some managers constantly tinker these days it falls down later in games, not that i'm saying that was the problem yesterday.  Mulgrew however did mention the shape being a positive but soon as he'd scored the free kick at Leeds Rovers were all over the place every time Leeds got the ball. For brief periods in games particularly late on its resembled keystone cops because we always end up with so many out of position and not capable of doing what they are being asked to do when we don't have the ball.

Too one paced and casual with the ball then all over the gaff when under pressure. Let's have a plan A and plan B otherwise this will go on all season and it will prove costly because we aren't grabbing points when we are playing well enough for a percentage to do so. What happens when we do have a real run of bad form along the lines of the PNE and Wigan embarrassments ?

• Backroom
Just now, tomphil said:

What happens when we do have a real run of bad form along the lines of the PNE and Wigan embarrassments ?

It's interesting how these results seem to have been forgotten in certain quarters. We got thrashed by two local rivals within days of each other - and neither of them are even particularly good. Looking at our results since we beat QPR 1-0 on 3rd November it's not hard to see why people are getting fed up.

Rovers 1-1 Rotherham - terrible home result. Rotherham score with their only shot on target, because of course they did.

Preston 4-1 Rovers - fucking embarrassing.

Wigan 3-1 Rovers - another shameful performance.

Rovers 4-2 Wednesday - still managed to concede two against a team which had basically downed tools.

Boro 1-1 Rovers - Good result in theory but Boro played 80% of this match with ten men and we were a goal up. 

Rovers 2-2 Birmingham - two goals up against a dire Birmingham team, only to throw it away and concede two goals in two minutes. 

Rovers 0-1 Norwich - 86th minute goal conceded. A single shot on target the entire match.

Leeds 3-2 Rovers - a goal on 90 minutes to make it 2-1 Rovers. Still contrive to lose 3-2. Got destroyed stats wise.

Who in their right mind would be happy with nearly two months of this shit? We've been a joke the past month and a half, and we've got the manager coming out talking about "positives" and "this is where we are". Give me a break. We've been an embarrassment recently and something needs to be done to halt the slide.

• Like 5

• Moderation Lead

Some folk would say that some go over the top on here, but as DE highlighted well, it isn’t rocket science why we are fed up.

Then to think he’s going on about the positives? It’s like an alternate reality.

Edited by K-Hod

11 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

Some folk would say that some go over the top on here, but as DE highlighted well, it isn’t rocket science why we are fed up.

Then to think he’s going on about the positives? It’s like an alternate reality.

One of those mentioned positives was our "Cutting edge", it made me laugh, the alternative was to cry.

5 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

Still angry about yesterday.

I think it was ludicrous for Mowbray to come out and say after one match words to the effect 'this is where we are'.

Well Tony, 'this is where I am', and I dare say other fans will feel the same way, I aint going to pay any more money to watch Rovers rollover and listen to your platitudes.  Due to family/work commitments, I've seen more away games than home games recently and Wigan, Boro and Leeds all left a sour taste in the mouth.  There will be no more for me. 

10 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

Busted.

Wow. You're pathetic. How much time did you spend finding that? Do you have nothing better to do? Genuine question. 

Well I still wouldn't be knee jerking like some on here saying he should be fired. I believe managers should be given time to build. None get it these days. You can see by the over reactions of some on here why that is. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

You said 6 years. 

Daft comment in view of the fact that the majority of managers barely last 2-3 years.

Ya, they last no time, because of fickle fans and the pressure of said fans on social media. 

If it was like that back when Ferguson took over united, he would have been sacked. Would that have been daft? 

• Like 1

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Wow. You're pathetic. How much time did you spend finding that? Do you have nothing better to do? Genuine question. 

Well I still wouldn't be knee jerking like some on here saying he should be fired. I believe managers should be given time to build. None get it these days. You can see by the over reactions of some on here why that is. 

Like building with Brereton and Armstrong at almost £10million when there are so many holes in our team?

20 minutes ago, DE. said:

It's interesting how these results seem to have been forgotten in certain quarters. We got thrashed by two local rivals within days of each other - and neither of them are even particularly good. Looking at our results since we beat QPR 1-0 on 3rd November it's not hard to see why people are getting fed up.

Rovers 1-1 Rotherham - terrible home result. Rotherham score with their only shot on target, because of course they did.

Preston 4-1 Rovers - fucking embarrassing.

Wigan 3-1 Rovers - another shameful performance.

Rovers 4-2 Wednesday - still managed to concede two against a team which had basically downed tools.

Boro 1-1 Rovers - Good result in theory but Boro played 80% of this match with ten men and we were a goal up. 

Rovers 2-2 Birmingham - two goals up against a dire Birmingham team, only to throw it away and concede two goals in two minutes. 

Rovers 0-1 Norwich - 86th minute goal conceded. A single shot on target the entire match.

Leeds 3-2 Rovers - a goal on 90 minutes to make it 2-1 Rovers. Still contrive to lose 3-2. Got destroyed stats wise.

Who in their right mind would be happy with nearly two months of this shit? We've been a joke the past month and a half, and we've got the manager coming out talking about "positives" and "this is where we are". Give me a break. We've been an embarrassment recently and something needs to be done to halt the slide.

With 7 million plus yearly wages tied up sat on the sidelines wondering why he's here and the prospect of no funds in Jan it could be a long old slog.  It was always going to be hard but at the beginning of the season you could be forgiven for thinking this is a fresh start in this league but Tonys 'we are where we are' comments should really be 'As you were' because it's almost the same team, tinkering, and style of play that we struggled with when he first arrived.

He should have shaken things up like I said before he's had the backing and it would be a shame if all the good work off the pitch and goodwill built up when to pieces because of a same old same old approach.

1 hour ago, 47er said:

Now that you can't deny what you wrote perhaps you could answer your own question--"why would you specifically say 6 years?"

Secondly, since you are so aware of what happens to people when they get older,  perhaps you could explain why I, an older man, can remember accurately what you wrote and you can't even remember your own post? Too much sherry?

Because I think managers should be given time to build. To me, when I made the comment, Mowbray had plenty of credit in the bank, which he still does in my opinion. We are going through a blip. Calls for him to be sacked are stupid. We have done the churn and burn here long enough and it gets us nowhere. I'm not sure why I said 6, I can't remember the specifics. 

For you and blueboy333 or ladyboy or whatever he is going by these days. If someone on here was pathetic enough and had no life, so that they could trawl back through posts to find stuff you said a few months back, would your opinion be the exact same? 

2 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Ya, they last no time, because of fickle fans and the pressure of said fans on social media. 

If it was like that back when Ferguson took over united, he would have been sacked. Would that have been daft? 

Fergie had already won big silverware (including European) with another club before moving to United.  To even remotely compare Mowbray with Ferguson is ludicrous.

• Like 1

I wonder if Mogga will break up the Mulgrew/Lenihan partnership in January with the acquisition of an experienced proper Centre Half  - only 5 teams have now conceded more goals than us. Which one to drop?  I don't think Mulgrew is a particularly good defender and he's a liability on crosses IMO but he's scored as many goals (7) as our main striker.  Lenihan is the better bet long term and probably more suited to being a Championship CH but he still suffers from bad decision making which leads to goals. 

If you're going to play counter-attacking, non-possession based football as Mowbray is then you need a good defence. We haven't got one. 

Wingers - will he persist with the wide forwards nonsense which has resulted in zero threat from the left hand side? Bringing Conway back suggested Mogga had seen the light. AA is just not a winger. It's a totally different game to being a striker and I can't think of another manager who does it. 

Will Davenport be the answer in CM which allows us to keep the ball more or will ne have to buy a new CM'er?

Mogga has some big decisions to make about both personnel and style of play.  

5 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Like building with Brereton and Armstrong at almost £10million when there are so many holes in our team?

I agree there major question marks over those moves. Particularly Armstrong in my opinion as he actually plays and is rubbish. The jury is out on Brereton. 

We definitely should have spent as much as we could have on a centre half to partner Mulgrew. I suspect Tony thought Lenihan would perform better than he has. Needs to be sorted in January. If Sheffield United came back offering 4.5 million again for Lenihan, I would take their hand off. Plenty on here, me included, would have been annoyed if we had have accepted it last summer. Football is funny. 

• Backroom
3 minutes ago, tomphil said:

He should have shaken things up like I said before he's had the backing and it would be a shame if all the good work off the pitch and goodwill built up when to pieces because of a same old same old approach.

Recent reuslts are a textbook case of how to lose goodwill and cause mistrust between the fans and the team.

Cowardly performances and bad results against local rivals? Check

Constant leaking of late goals? Check

Inability to beat poor teams at home? Check

Inability to keep a clean sheet? Check

Inability to beat a team with ten men for most of the match (despite being a goal to the good)? Check

And amidst all of this nonsense we've got Mowbray and the club trying to guilt people into buying half season tickets with #COMMITMENT. How about Mowbray and the club show a commitment to improving themselves first, rather than a shrug of the shoulders and telling everyone "this is where we are... oh and buy a half season ticket please" ? 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Fergie had already won big silverware (including European) with another club before moving to United.  To even remotely compare Mowbray with Ferguson is ludicrous.

He still would have been sacked if it was nowadays though. I am not comparing them. Plenty of mangers go to clubs having won silverware elsewhere and are sacked at the first sign of trouble. That's my point. 

Managers should be given time. Within reason obviously. Steve Kean being the complete opposite example. 

Do you think Mowbray should be sacked? 

19 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I will always find the time to search for truth and honesty? You lied, you got busted. We can all learn the lessons and move on?

Maybe Coyle should have got more time?

11 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

For you and blueboy333 or ladyboy or whatever he is going by these days. 

Truthfinder General

Edited by blueboy3333

3 minutes ago, DE. said:

Recent reuslts are a textbook case of how to lose goodwill and cause mistrust between the fans and the team.

Cowardly performances and bad results against local rivals? Check

Constant leaking of late goals? Check

Inability to beat poor teams at home? Check

Inability to keep a clean sheet? Check

Inability to beat a team with ten men for most of the match (despite being a goal to the good)? Check

And amidst all of this nonsense we've got Mowbray and the club trying to guilt people into buying half season tickets with #COMMITMENT. How about Mowbray and the club show a commitment to improving themselves first, rather than a shrug of the shoulders and telling everyone "this is where we are... oh and buy a half season ticket please" ? 

He could well be in the comfort zone a bit now though after penning his new deal, i'd be expecting more shoulder shrugs in the future. He should be adding to those comments stuff like we need the continued investment of the owners over the next few windows to add quality and strength to ensure we are capable of competing over a whole season !

Because I think managers should be given time to build. To me, when I made the comment, Mowbray had plenty of credit in the bank, which he still does in my opinion. We are going through a blip. Calls for him to be sacked are stupid. We have done the churn and burn here long enough and it gets us nowhere. I'm not sure why I said 6, I can't remember the specifics. 

For you and blueboy333 or ladyboy or whatever he is going by these days. If someone on here was pathetic enough and had no life, so that they could trawl back through posts to find stuff you said a few months back, would your opinion be the exact same? 

No---I change my mind often but NEVER, EVER would I have advocated giving Mowbray a 6 year extension on his contract. That is just plain dumb.

I haven't done any trawling at all, so you can shove your "pathetic no life" stuff up your arse. I just remembered your original post but given  your patronising attitude to "older people" I don't suppose that could have entered your head.

We're too reliant on Mowbray. I'm not saying he should be sacked but if that decision were to be made it would no doubt then significantly impact upon other areas of the club - recruitment, staff, communications with owners etc. Plus we'd have all the talk and worry about who would lead the search and who on earth they would bring in which would be used as a reason not to make a change even if one were needed.

As I went into the other day, we need a head coach structure in place (which Mowbray was originally appointed as) so that if needed a change can be quickly made without the need to rip up the entire operation and start again.

Won't be happening though which is another reason we'll never follow Leeds/Norwich. Nowt to do with crowds or money its having a plan and structure from the owners down that can work and a good head coach who will work within that.