Sign in to follow this  
Butty

Mowbray’s Future

9 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Ya, those managers have been successes, however many Norwich fans wanted Farke gone last year and for everyone of those you mention, there is one like the guy at Sheffield Wednesday. 

Here's hoping Mowbray can turn it around 

Look, every managerial appointment comes with risk.  Every Johnny Foreigner will not be a success, every UK manager will not be a success.

There has to come a point where you ask yourself if our current manager is the man to take the club on to the next level.  In my opinion, Mowbray is not and I don't want to wait until 2022 for this to be proven beyond all doubt.

I got hammered in some quarters on this MB for my early views on Brereton but I think more and more on here now feel the same way.  Similarly, and I have spelt out why, on several occasions on this MB,  I feel Mowbray has taken us as far as he can and we need to change.

Edited by Mercer

19 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Personally I wouldn't over react right now and I think most others wouldn't either. It's not about the Norwich or Leeds games. They were so frustrating, but they are top of the table team and that's football. For me, the real frustration stems from the Preston, Wigan, Rotherham and Birmingham games. The Norwich and Leeds games have just compounded that. 

So, thoughts are, we've been poor to shyte in six recent games, two games against good opponents and four games against poor to average opponents (and in two of those games <Preston and Wigan> we were woefully thrashed).

This pattern of both performances and results doesn't augur well.  Didn't see the Preston game but understand we were woeful - did see the Wigan game and we were dire (reminiscent of the worse days of Kean and C o y l e).  

Edited by Mercer

7 hours ago, DE. said:

Most clubs that go down aren't allowed to keep players like Graham, Mulgrew or Evans - in fact most clubs would have lost players like Raya, Nyambe, Lenihan and Williams too. Mowbray was fortunate to be able to keep every decent player we had and bring in even more. Promotion is promotion but we should never have been in League 1 and it was actually a little unfair for us and Wigan to be down there with such strong squads. Nobody else really stood a chance as far as automatic promotion was concerned. 

I don't see many people on here demanding that Mowbray is sacked. Most people are saying the opposite - frustrated by his inability to fix our problems, but aware that sacking him is unlikely to be the answer. Doesn't mean he shouldn't be critcised when the same mistakes happen over and over again though. 

"frustrated by his inability to fix our problems" is one way of putting it, failure to see or acknowledge them is another.

5 hours ago, philipl said:

Evening Standard 8 August 2018

Answers two questions above:

Blackburn have ended their pursuit of Charlton defender Patrick Bauer.

Bauer has been pushing for a move away from Charlton but Blackburn manager Tony Mowbray says Rovers have “moved on” after being told the German was not for sale.

Charlton have rejected several bids for Bauer from Blackburn, with the latest thought to be £500,000.

Bauer issued a statement on Twitter on Sunday to say he will not sign an extension to his contract which expires at the end of the season.

But Charlton manager Lee Bowyer has blocked his exit from The Valley and Blackburn boss Mowbray said: “I have spoken to Lee and if he [Bauer] is not for sale then he is not for sale. 

That is fine, we did a similar thing when other clubs tried to sign some of our players last season. That is football. You are allowed to bid for players and they are allowed to say no. We have to move on and that is what we have done.”

Tragedy for Chaddy!

2 hours ago, K-Hod said:

Are they though? This seems to be conjecture at best and the kind of thing that would need proof to give it any credibility. If what you say is true, I’m sure such proof wouldn’t be too difficult to track down....

BDS isn't pathetic and has a life so I doubt whether he'll bother! He'd like it to be true though.   :)

There is a lot of bullshit on here, lots of dreamers !!!

Realism is in short supply, people have short memories.

I understand that it's about opinions but we are work in progress and yes we have got weaknesses  ( late goals etc) 

If we win the other side are crap and we lose we should have won,  no credit where due ?

The hospitals are busy enough without going on suicide watch

COYB

Here is a left field name for you, will probably go down like a lead balloon but.......... Aidy Boothroyd.

was once highly regarded after doing miracles with Watford, lost his way granted through some strange managerial choices after that but is redeeming himself with youngsters of England. Won the u21 tournament. My thinking is he will be more than willing to work a team of youngsters and create something a bit special- quite possibly lift us where mowbray can’t.

just thinking out loud really 

Sol Campbell?

Just kidding 😁

56 minutes ago, Scratch Andy said:

There is a lot of bullshit on here, lots of dreamers !!!

Realism is in short supply, people have short memories.

I understand that it's about opinions but we are work in progress and yes we have got weaknesses  ( late goals etc) 

If we win the other side are crap and we lose we should have won,  no credit where due ?

The hospitals are busy enough without going on suicide watch

COYB

36 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Here is a left field name for you, will probably go down like a lead balloon but.......... Aidy Boothroyd.

was once highly regarded after doing miracles with Watford, lost his way granted through some strange managerial choices after that but is redeeming himself with youngsters of England. Won the u21 tournament. My thinking is he will be more than willing to work a team of youngsters and create something a bit special- quite possibly lift us where mowbray can’t.

just thinking out loud really 

Two more contrasting posts you couldn’t wish to see.

@Bbrovers2288 - look mate, we’ve all had a drink...

3 hours ago, Mercer said:

Look, every managerial appointment comes with risk.  Every Johnny Foreigner will not be a success, every UK manager will not be a success.

There has to come a point where you ask yourself if our current manager is the man to take the club on to the next level.  In my opinion, Mowbray is not and I don't want to wait until 2022 for this to be proven beyond all doubt.

I got hammered in some quarters on this MB for my early views on Brereton but I think more and more on here now feel the same way.  Similarly, and I have spelt out why, on several occasions on this MB,  I feel Mowbray has taken us as far as he can and we need to change.

I won’t say Mowbray has taken us as far as he can until there comes a point where we are actually underachieving as a squad and as a team, we are where we should be on paper and if we could hold on to a lead we’d be in the top six, you could obviously lay the blame at Mowbray for the way in which we’ve been seeing out games but for us to be mid table at this point in the season is not bad at all. Until we have a squad which on paper should be challenging towards the top end of the league but isn’t, you can’t say Mowbray has taken us as far as he can. Bowyer’s 2013-2015 Rovers should definitely have finished in the top six in one of those two seasons, we had two strikers with 20 goals each in the 14/15 season.. I can’t help but feel our good start to the season has raised expectations too much, survival was the main aim for this season and we will do that. All of us can see we need two wingers, a new left back another striker and a centre half partner for Mulgrew. Spending what we have on Brereton is indefensible and if Mowbray doesn’t address these issues in the summer I will soon change my tune, but if we can add those positions before the start of next season we should be right to expect more but until that time comes we should accept the fact we won’t be pulling many trees up this year, just throwing leads instead :( :lol:

2 minutes ago, Butty said:

I won’t say Mowbray has taken us as far as he can until there comes a point where we are actually underachieving as a squad and as a team, we are where we should be on paper and if we could hold on to a lead we’d be in the top six, you could obviously lay the blame at Mowbray for the way in which we’ve been seeing out games but for us to be mid table at this point in the season is not bad at all. Until we have a squad which on paper should be challenging towards the top end of the league but isn’t, you can’t say Mowbray has taken us as far as he can. Bowyer’s 2013-2015 Rovers should definitely have finished in the top six in one of those two seasons, we had two strikers with 20 goals each in the 14/15 season.. I can’t help but feel our good start to the season has raised expectations too much, survival was the main aim for this season and we will do that. All of us can see we need two wingers, a new left back another striker and a centre half partner for Mulgrew. Spending what we have on Brereton is indefensible and if Mowbray doesn’t address these issues in the summer I will soon change my tune, but if we can add those positions before the start of next season we should be right to expect more but until that time comes we should accept the fact we won’t be pulling many trees up this year, just throwing leads instead :( :lol:

Correct.

We are competitive. No one will relish playing us. We can hurt teams.

Where we are right now after a massive squad clear out, a complete culture change, a re-connecting honesty with the fan base through Mowbray’s pure integrity and openness... it’s bloody good. He followed Coyle FFS.

Aidy Fucking Boothroyd. Jesus Christ.

11 minutes ago, S8 & Blue said:

Correct.

We are competitive. No one will relish playing us. We can hurt teams.

Where we are right now after a massive squad clear out, a complete culture change, a re-connecting honesty with the fan base through Mowbray’s pure integrity and openness... it’s bloody good. He followed Coyle FFS.

Aidy Fucking Boothroyd. Jesus Christ.

It baffles me that some people hold our relegation against Mowbray when the amount of points we picked up under him, over the season would have kept us more than safe, he got us back up first time of asking and with our current squad still featuring the majority of that promotion side, the league table would suggest we are possibly overachieving! Don’t get me wrong Mowbray pisses me off sometimes with the way he sets us up and some of his decisions are more than questionable at times, but he’s made us very hard to beat and the reality is we don’t have enough quality in this team to play any other way. Next season is the one where if we strengthen in the summer, we should raise expectations of both Mowbray and the team, but for now I honestly think we are where we should be in the league, you cant say our lads dont give maximum effort every week, I just think with the quality in our squad, sometimes maximum effort still isn’t enough... I pray to god Mowbray gets his recruitment right in the summer but until then, calm down boys..... EDIT: Yes, suggesting to replace Mowbray with Aidy Boothroyd has to be one of the most mental things I’ve ever read on here. Absolute insult too TM that f**k me :lol: 

Edited by Butty

#GiveAidyAChance

Seriously though, the main reason there's this much anger is the manner of our defeats and draws. If we'd been 2-0 down at Birmingham and come back to draw 2-2 then it would have been a completely different feeling to throwing away a two goal lead. The same with the Boro match. If we'd been 2-1 up at HT against Leeds but they'd scored in the 65th and 76th minute, for example, there would be nowhere near the same resentment.

It's not just that we're dropping points, it's the way we're dropping points, and it's happening again and again. It's no wonder it's leading to genuine anger towards the manager and the players. You can only disappoint people like that so many times before they snap or just stop caring. That's not to say the manager should be sacked or the players booed off the pitch, but the emotional reactions are completely understandable. I find it stranger when people - especially directly after these results - react in a totally detached way or focus on attacking fellow fans expressing their anger/disappointment over the club's failings. I'd rather be honest and heartfelt than be snide and aloof. Everybody's different I suppose.

9 hours ago, Butty said:

survival was the main aim for this season and we will do that.

According to who? There was a lot of talk about the possibility 'bouncing through the divisions' by our esteemed manager, although he later ruled it out in a classic case of managing Pune expectations 🙂 It's all about the nest few transfer windows now, which is probably what he should have said in the first place.

Anyway, Sheff Utd, Millwall etc did well on their first season up (top 10 pushing for the play-offs). Mogga may be a victim of his own successful start to the season but  with the players already at the club I think mid-table was always a reasonable expectation for this season. Most teams are similar in quality. 

12 hours ago, Mercer said:

So, thoughts are, we've been poor to shyte in six recent games, two games against good opponents and four games against poor to average opponents (and in two of those games <Preston and Wigan> we were woefully thrashed).

This pattern of both performances and results doesn't augur well.  Didn't see the Preston game but understand we were woeful - did see the Wigan game and we were dire (reminiscent of the worse days of Kean and C o y l e).  

That's true, but can I ask honestly what were your expectations at the beginning of the season? What position did you A-think we would finish in and B- would you have been happy with. 

Not saying you are guilty of this, but many of those completely over reacting now were those who said they would be happy with us just staying up. 

As you are though, I have big concerns about recent performances, particularly ;Preston , Wigan, Birmingham and Rotherham. 

Also the summer business is now looking poor. Mowbray showed a lot of faith in those who got us up. The momentum from last season carried on and we started pretty well. The lack of quality in key areas is showing now though. 

Personally though I think /hope Mowbray identifies this. Therefore I would give him the January and summer windows. 

A new manger coming in would unsettle the close knit squad. It would also more than likely hasten Dacks exit. While Mowbray got the summer business pretty wrong. He is getting this team, at times, playing to their strengths. Even though the last 8ish games, bar Wednesday, have been awfully frustrating. Prior to this, we pulled off some great results. 

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/17322890.why-mowbray-is-judging-rovers-with-his-eyes-not-stats/

Asked about the recurring theme (of shipping late goals) the boss said: “With total respect to the media world it’s full of statistics but I have to judge with my eyes. If we were miles away and had lost 3-2 then I’d be saying that. But we’re not a million miles away"

See the source image

3 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/17322890.why-mowbray-is-judging-rovers-with-his-eyes-not-stats/

Asked about the recurring theme (of shipping late goals) the boss said: “With total respect to the media world it’s full of statistics but I have to judge with my eyes. If we were miles away and had lost 3-2 then I’d be saying that. But we’re not a million miles away"

image.png.ec0445038848ef95a4ffa437063526da.png

I think he needs his eyes tested if he saw this as not being a million miles away. 

'I have to judge with my eyes'. 

So do all of us, we conceded late goals and it cost us points. AGAIN.

“I’m not going to be critical of the team, people will have their opinion, everyone is probably a better manager than me"- Mogga.

At least he doesn't lack self-awareness😂

He was also quoted in a LT interview as saying he wants to bring a few bodies in, not to displace anyone but to help them out. 

It's comments like this that drive me mad. Most can see that the team as a whole lacks the quality to compete at the top end of the table. He says we need a few transfer windows to do this then comes out with a comment like that. 

We aren't short of numbers, we aren't one or two positions light, we need an overhaul of 4 or five quality first team additions that will come straight into the 11 and displace players that are under performing or don't have the necessary quality to take us to the level we need to be. 

He also says Joe nuttall had lost his hunger. A very worrying comment on a young player. The last thing that should go is hunger on a player who hasn't even broken into a first team in his life

1 hour ago, DE. said:

#GiveAidyAChance

Seriously though, the main reason there's this much anger is the manner of our defeats and draws. If we'd been 2-0 down at Birmingham and come back to draw 2-2 then it would have been a completely different feeling to throwing away a two goal lead. The same with the Boro match. If we'd been 2-1 up at HT against Leeds but they'd scored in the 65th and 76th minute, for example, there would be nowhere near the same resentment.

It's not just that we're dropping points, it's the way we're dropping points, and it's happening again and again. It's no wonder it's leading to genuine anger towards the manager and the players. You can only disappoint people like that so many times before they snap or just stop caring. That's not to say the manager should be sacked or the players booed off the pitch, but the emotional reactions are completely understandable. I find it stranger when people - especially directly after these results - react in a totally detached way or focus on attacking fellow fans expressing their anger/disappointment over the club's failings. I'd rather be honest and heartfelt than be snide and aloof. Everybody's different I suppose.

I’d be more worried if we were being soundly beaten over the whole course of the game, personally.

8 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

He was also quoted in a LT interview as saying he wants to bring a few bodies in, not to displace anyone but to help them out. 

I think that's just a nice way of saying he's going to replace them without actually saying it. He probably realises it's team spirit that has had a lot to do with our success over the last 12 months and he doesn't want to upset the troops. 

10 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

He also says Joe nuttall had lost his hunger. A very worrying comment on a young player. The last thing that should go is hunger on a player who hasn't even broken into a first team in his life

He was interviewed the other day and said Nuttall was now back to where he was when he joined the club and that the hunger was back. 

I try not to look too deeply into the public comments of managers, he is probably right to avoid publicly roasting the players, if we think back to the anger he showed to Neal’s dad at Wigan tells me it’s a different story behind closed doors.

It’s all about action, so it is certainly time to get worried if the likes of Williams, Smallwood and perhaps even Lenihan aren’t replaced over the next few months.

2 minutes ago, S8 & Blue said:

I’d be more worried if we were being soundly beaten over the whole course of the game, personally.

I'm worried that we've only scored 7 goals from open play in the last 12 matches (how many against SWFC?) and that we have conceded 18 goals in the last 16 minutes of matches. We are poor from open play over the whole course of the vast majority of games.  You can't keep getting away with it as we are now finding.

We either don't have the players or the coaching is shite. These arguments were had last season when we had a bad start to the season (culminating in the Oldham away game). Some said it was the players but then we battered everyone in sight for most of the next two or three months and then went on to clinch promotion. We seem to be back to the same discussion. 

1 minute ago, Mattyblue said:

if we think back to the anger he showed to Neal’s dad at Wigan tells me it’s a different story behind closed doors.

???

10 minutes ago, S8 & Blue said:

Well we got a taste of that too courtesy of Wigan and Preston, so it's been a little bit of everything recently.