BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Mowbray’s Future

3 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I would like to think that Mowbray isnt necessarily as black and white as that in terms of goalscoring responsibilities.

I'm sure he's not but the '2 and a half' get in the box. The rest of the team don't seem to. I think that's because Mowbray is wary of the counter-attack, he's mentioned it a few times. 

Bottom line, if Mogga was cautious in League 1, and he was, then that isn't going to change now we've gone up. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DE. said:

Emerton is a good comparison, although with Bert it always felt like he was playing within himself (a bit like Ben Marshall) whereas with Bennett it feels like his high work rate compensates for not being the most technically gifted player. It always felt like Emerton could have given us a bit more.

Don’t dare criticise Emerton, what I wouldn’t do for the likes of him these days. Much as I appreciate Bennett he isn’t a patch on emerton 

17 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

I'm sure he's not but the '2 and a half' get in the box. The rest of the team don't seem to. I think that's because Mowbray is wary of the counter-attack, he's mentioned it a few times. 

Bottom line, if Mogga was cautious in League 1, and he was, then that isn't going to change now we've gone up. 

It was more just a general point about an issue I have with the effectiveness of our current set up. Notably that we presumably play direct, low risk, percentage football with onus on 2 players to get our goals in order to make us solid and hard to beat. The stats prove that they arent doing that at the moment.

I feel like both Mowbray tactically and also the individuals themselves, notably Armstrong, Bennett, Palmer, Rothwell etc share the blame for the lack of goals from other areas.

• Backroom
3 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Don’t dare criticise Emerton, what I wouldn’t do for the likes of him these days. Much as I appreciate Bennett he isn’t a patch on emerton 

It was just a vague comparison based on their attributes. Emerton was supposed to come in as a top quality right winger, but it never really worked out for him there. He always looked far better at right wing back and I'm sure I remember him giving good performances in centre midfield as well. I can see similarities with Bennett in that regard, although Emerton was obviously a much better player. 

7 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Ive not seen many hold the relegation against Mowbray (the fanbase was mainly in approval of him staying on) but no matter how you sugar coat it, the season he came in, his first brief was to keep us up and he failed. Talk about extrapolating his results is worthless, against mainly teams that had nothing to play for. Survival was always a difficult target but one that could have been achieved with one more point. Luckily for us all he did enough to convince us and the owners amidst failure that he was the man to take us into League 1.

It was his work last season that has given him a place in Rovers fans hearts.

For the record I dont want Mowbray sacked.

But I think many have chose to underestimate and downplay their expectations. Our wage bill is 10th to 16th so we are within the range we should be, not taking into account the very generous budget he had on transfer fees which brings up big, big questions. Anyone who mentions survival as the aim is being very unambitious to say the least.

You touch upon the key area where Mowbray perhaps has come or may come unstuck and that is in his recruitment. He often talks about x number of windows but based on previous windows, is that going to work as well as he thinks it will?

Hes shown no real signs of developing towards the style of play he often talks about and presumably the style to which he intended to use his new signings in, leaving them kicking their heels on the sidelines.

Ive always held question marks about him in terms of his recruitment. Overall, and especially this summer, its been poor. Hes totally ignored the foreign market for whatever reason. The Dack deal is very much the exception in terms of recruiting to develop.

I feel like his strengths have been what he has got from predominantly the players he inherited and also the team spirit he has managed to consistently foster. We will need more than that as the windows and the seasons move on.

TBF he might have had no choice with foreign recruitment. This could come back to the two audits that were conducted into the club over the summer.

Possibly, Venkys have been convinced that the best way to make money on player assets is to buy British. Additionally, perhaps our international scouting system isn't up to it.

When I think back to the foreign players its been such a privilege to see gracing our Ewood turf, I feel we and the team are missing out.

I have no idea whether my hypothesis is correct or not but it makes logical sense. Anyway, perhaps their experience with Brereton should convince them that its not that simple!

2 minutes ago, 47er said:

TBF he might have had no choice with foreign recruitment. This could come back to the two audits that were conducted into the club over the summer.

Possibly, Venkys have been convinced that the best way to make money on player assets is to buy British. Additionally, perhaps our international scouting system isn't up to it.

When I think back to the foreign players its been such a privilege to see gracing our Ewood turf, I feel we and the team are missing out.

I have no idea whether my hypothesis is correct or not but it makes logical sense. Anyway, perhaps their experience with Brereton should convince them that its not that simple!

You may well be right. I am always assuming that Mowbray has made the final decision in regards to footballing matters.

Same with the Brereton deal. I have just assumed that he was the one who signed it off in the absence of anything concrete to suggest otherwise. As you say, he may be limited or have been told to accept certain conditions by those above him.

3 hours ago, OnePhilT said:

I think the main problem is the squad rotation. Mowbray doesn't know his best XI from one week to the next. I understand that it's a busy period right now, but there is little consistency to the team. And this comes back to poor recruitment.

I read before Mowbray picks his team based on the next opponent, furthermore with injuries coming in, its unlikely he will/can play the same team for consecutive games.

5 hours ago, OnePhilT said:

It's interesting, though, because we have plenty of experienced players in the team out on the pitch that concentration and seeing games out should be one of the last issues we should be having problems with. Mulgrew, Williams, Evans, Smallwood, Benno, Rodwell, Graham... All old-heads that should be able to exert their influence over the younger players.

I think the main problem is the squad rotation. Mowbray doesn't know his best XI from one week to the next. I understand that it's a busy period right now, but there is little consistency to the team. And this comes back to poor recruitment.

Agree that we have some experience at this level (although most recent second tier exp for mant of those is relegation), we also had Raya, Lenihan, Bell, Rothwell and Reed all on the pitch for those crazy last few minutes. No disputing they could’ve reacted better, and I doubt the likes of Allardyce would have our team regularly capitulating like that.

Thus I don’t think this particular issue is solely down to personnel. I think it’s a lack of confidence and experience for dealing with those situations. There is no sole reason for that in my opinion, just a mixture of issues with experience, calmness, confidence and leadership on the pitch.

If this is a season of consolidation then let's get the points on board to get to safety. Once this is achieved it is the perfect scenario to see what we have in our academy before the window opens. Give Travis and wharton a decent run of games see if there up to it. Let Ben have an extended run in the first team. Let's use this season to see what we really have and get the young lads in the team or get them out and let the next lads be given a chance. 

Let's get the ball down And start playing this football that tony wants to play against good opposition in an environment where the players aren't afraid to try things, make mistakes and learn from them.  

Once safety is achieved Tony will never have a better chance to develop the style he wants to play and will enter the pre season with a better knowledge of what is and isn't needed. What works , what doesn't and what needs improving. 

• Like 3

A lot of people saying this is going to be a season of consolidation and that we should be happy with a mid table finish. That's fine but to do that we are likely to require another 25 to 30 points. Usually pushing 50 to secure survival and another 10 to reach mid table status. Until we are at 50 there can be no consolidation, no pats on the back. We can't just turn around after each painful defeat and argue that as we are on course to achieve safety there's nothing to worry or complain about. 

• Like 4

I wouldnt complain knowing that we can't get relagated and we where planning and working on next season knowing it would benefit us in the long run. If Tony can't play the way he wants to play and give a kid a couple of games when we are safe at the back end of a season which means little at that point then when can he have the faith in himself and the backing of the fans to try and push us on to the next level

40 minutes ago, JHRover said:

A lot of people saying this is going to be a season of consolidation and that we should be happy with a mid table finish. That's fine but to do that we are likely to require another 25 to 30 points. Usually pushing 50 to secure survival and another 10 to reach mid table status. Until we are at 50 there can be no consolidation, no pats on the back. We can't just turn around after each painful defeat and argue that as we are on course to achieve safety there's nothing to worry or complain about. 

We are 14th, that's not halfway! People should remember that. If we lose against Sheff Utd, as most surely expect the slide into the bottom third is on.

I don't believe we will be relegated but I've been wrong before!

Right now 14th seems an achievement. Very sad after looking like threatening Top 6.

15 minutes ago, 47er said:

We are 14th, that's not halfway! People should remember that. If we lose against Sheff Utd, as most surely expect the slide into the bottom third is on.

I don't believe we will be relegated but I've been wrong before!

Right now 14th seems an achievement. Very sad after looking like threatening Top 6.

We have seen how Brum and QPR rocketed up the table with a sequence of wins and how close we have come to gaining more points than we have collected.

I expect two more defeats in the coming two games but not ruling out a run into 7th at season end.

Edited by philipl

2 hours ago, Biz said:

Agree that we have some experience at this level (although most recent second tier exp for mant of those is relegation), we also had Raya, Lenihan, Bell, Rothwell and Reed all on the pitch for those crazy last few minutes. No disputing they could’ve reacted better, and I doubt the likes of Allardyce would have our team regularly capitulating like that.

Thus I don’t think this particular issue is solely down to personnel. I think it’s a lack of confidence and experience for dealing with those situations. There is no sole reason for that in my opinion, just a mixture of issues with experience, calmness, confidence and leadership on the pitch.

I agree with a lot of that. Of course you're less likely to conceded a goal if you're playing in your opponents half.

I didn't realise until I checked last night that after 24 games, other than Dack, Graham and Mulgrew the rest of the squad have only contributed SIX goals between them.

That's absolutely appalling and unless we can sort that out, which will probably require the manager to revamp his philosophy we're bound to struggle. In fact, it's probably surprising we've as many points as we have.

Stop Dack (and don't give away any penalties or stupid free kicks on the edge of your box) and essentially you stop Rovers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Stop Dack (and don't give away any penalties or stupid free kicks on the edge of your box) and essentially you stop Rovers.

Pretty much. Plus the long ball to Danny Graham, without Dack to give the ball to, becomes redundant.

Our style of play under Mowbray seems to gravitate towards three at the back plus two defensive midfielders, and the other six players set up to accommodate that. With the wide provided by full backs.

I think Tony is an honest genuine bloke but i believe his managerial ability is limited. I remember last season being very underwhelmed many a time by his tactics and comments. There was one game at home to bury where in the build up Mowbray explained in the LET how it would be a very hard game and that he would have to make a team to cope with their brilliant right back. Come on.....

The players have lost their battle, Dack is a shadow of what he was and the manager seems clueless. Thank God for the early season points. 

I can't see Venkys and co being keen to replace him. 

Edited by benhben
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, OnePhilT said:

This was always going to be a worry - a manager who the owners trust implicitly, taking on their recommendations as to appointments in executive positions, and then results go completely wrong under said manager. Does it sound familiar? What happens if we lose the next five? Has Tony benevolently made himself unsackable? There is no Paul Senior, this time... Only Waggott... Who was recommended by...

Maggott have the run of the place. They aren't going to sack each other. 

#buildaclub

I said it on Wednesday and I stick by it SACK HIM. The team is embarrassingly unfit and that lies squarely with the manager. Tactically clueless why drop Graham and Dack, what was the plan to score get a free kick or penalty and hope Charlie put's it away, real progressive thinking that. He's shown too much faith in players that are not up to this level. The defence is absolutely shocking it can't keep a clean sheet for love nor money. His signings in the summer have had little effect bar Reed, the less said about the £7 Million dud the better. Any spirit and fight that this team had last season is well and truly gone there is no fight instead we fold like a pack of cards. I like him as a man and thank him for last season but sadly it is time for him to go. One win in Nine, one clean sheet in thirteen this team is only going one way in the table. Only 9 points from the drop now. 

• Like 2