BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Mowbray’s Future

A truly shocking run of 10 performances since the beginning of November and getting worse by the game.

QPR - a very poor game and a lucky late win.

Rotherham - OK second half but still failed to win. 

Preston - terrible

Wigan - even worse

Sheff Wed - good against a very poor team and threw it away from 2-0

Boro - failed to capitalise on man-advantage for over 60 mins.

Brum - throw it away late

Norwich - same again

Leeds - poor performance and thrown away in 5 mins

Sheff U - utterly spineless capitulation when 10 v 10.

• Like 2

Mowbray on Radio Lancs just now.

Blaming the ref, “he was making random decisions”

“Referee needed any excuse to make the game even”

“Only going to be one winner”

“Ridiculous decisions from the referee”

“Not blaming the referee for the three goals”

“The result is the result - we have to accept it and move on”

“Tough run of games against top four clubs” [already fearing West Brom]

“Tight game - except for the three goal which don’t make it seem tight”

How do you go about stopping shipping goals at the rate we are?

“Didn't look like we were going to ship any goals today”

“Wasn't a three nil game, should have won”

“Won’t ship three goals every game - won’t happen every week”

“If we keep working hard we’ll turn it around”

He honestly sounds like he is losing the plot. I really hope he didn’t talk to the players like he just spoke to the radio.

Tonight he sounded like a man on the edge.

Blaming the referee is last refuge for a desperate manager. Mowbray is obviously using the Kean-style rose-tinted glasses when he pretends this is match we were winning when the score was actually 0-0 and we had never looked like scoring apart from a Brereton missed chance.

• Like 2

Those are very poor comments from Mowbray giving no confidence for the future whatsoever.

I thought the ref was tough and brave- 27,000+ crowd and he gave the home team six yellows including the double yellow for the sending off.

Yes he bottled not giving a straight red when Brereton was through on goal and pulled back and if Smallwood was a straight red hen so was the early foul on Reed. But he should have booked Rothwell for that outrageous dive just before Sharp got the first.

• Backroom
27 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Mowbray on Radio Lancs just now.

Blaming the ref, “he was making random decisions”

“Referee needed any excuse to make the game even”

“Only going to be one winner”

“Ridiculous decisions from the referee”

“Not blaming the referee for the three goals”

“The result is the result - we have to accept it and move on”

“Tough run of games against top four clubs” [already fearing West Brom]

“Tight game - except for the three goal which don’t make it seem tight”

How do you go about stopping shipping goals at the rate we are?

“Didn't look like we were going to ship any goals today”

“Wasn't a three nil game, should have won”

“Won’t ship three goals every game - won’t happen every week”

“If we keep working hard we’ll turn it around”

He honestly sounds like he is losing the plot. I really hope he didn’t talk to the players like he just spoke to the radio.

Tonight he sounded like a man on the edge.

His post match interviews over the past few weeks are sounding increasingly desperate. They don't give me any confidence he has a handle on the situation. It feels increasingly like he's burying his head in the sand and waiting for something to magically change. Very concerning.

Just now, alcd said:

Blaming the referee is last refuge for a desperate manager. Mowbray is obviously using the Kean-style rose-tinted glasses when he pretends this is match we were winning when the score was actually 0-0 and we had never looked like scoring apart from a Brereton missed chance.

Desperate is exactly how he sounded. And a little frantic. If Neal’s dad is knocking about near the team bus he might get a few choice sound bites.

As a bloke, I like Mowbray. He’s passionate and will be very angry and disappointed this evening. Hopefully he’ll take some responsibility too.

But my concern is for BRFC and I’m not convinced that he will be able to turn it around if we suffer another heavy defeat on Tuesday. He simply has to get a draw in that fixture. How he does that, and what genuine positives he takes from today’s game will be telling.

Today’s positives were that when you play Rothwell and an energetic Travis and Reed, and take the game to the opposition with a target ahead of him we can cause problems. They had both centre backs booked and one got a second yellow for handball. That is pressure, and it worked. By all accounts Reed was on the receiving end of a red card tackle which also got a yellow.

The negative was that he then went back over his decision and made a deadly double substitution and change in approach, taking off our only striker who could hold the ball up. Subsequently when Smallwood has a rush of blood he has no options open to himself and now had the wrong personnel on the pitch. He didn’t even think, once that first goal had gone in to bring off Armstrong for either Evans or Graham.

Will he take that positive philosophy into the game against West Brom or will be go back to an ultra defensive set up? The other “positive” today was that we now have to play without Smallwood for three games (I’m assuming three, certainly one) so Evans will likely get the nod. Mowbray must stick with what worked today and not regress to what has failed so often recently.

I’m not convinced that Mowbray has it in him to turn things around when things go sour as his past record attests to. The difference here is that he will likely get the owners’ backing, time and probably the whole of January to change things. The next board meeting will probably be just after the window closes so that any new manager was required.

Mowbray needs to take some points in these next five league games and halt the slide

• Like 4

1 hour ago, OnePhilT said:

This was always going to be a worry - a manager who the owners trust implicitly, taking on their recommendations as to appointments in executive positions, and then results go completely wrong under said manager. Does it sound familiar? What happens if we lose the next five? Has Tony benevolently made himself unsackable? There is no Paul Senior, this time... Only Waggott... Who was recommended by...

This.  

Not calling for his head for one min BUT is this squad not really quite good enough for this level still OR is it one of those you feel a different voice and approach could get something more resembling consistency out of them ?

One thing that does stand out going off his previous clubs is when Mogga loses his grip he really loses it, I desperately hope that isn't the case but a couple of overachieving results aside that maybe skewed early expectations this season has resembled a bit of another confused look about it in terms of selections and tactics and basically straw clutching hoping something works.

Many of us did say it though in summer that some genuine upgrades in players were desperately needed instead of just squad men, you reap what you sow.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Not calling for his head for one min BUT is this squad not really quite good enough for this level still OR is it one of those you feel a different voice and approach could get something more resembling consistency out of them ?

One thing that does stand out going off his previous clubs is when Mogga loses his grip he really loses it, I desperately hope that isn't the case but a couple of overachieving results aside that maybe skewed early expectations this season has resembled a bit of another confused look about it in terms of selections and tactics and basically straw clutching hoping something works.

Many of us did say it though in summer that some genuine upgrades in players were desperately needed instead of just squad men, you reap what you sow.

We should have replaced 3 players at least by better players. The only real plus so far is Reed and he's on loan.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

We should have replaced 3 players at least by better players. The only real plus so far is Reed and he's on loan.

Reed was a good signing although its taken him a while to integrate him into the starting 11 he always seems so reluctant to back players in the starting line up he's signed which is odd.

Likes of him are hard to get but I don't think upgrading some in the backline or centre really would've been that difficult if there was a bit of money.

• Backroom

The teams we've beaten this season:

Hull 0-1 Rovers - quite a close match but a clean sheet and a goal from open play, so pretty good.

Rovers 1-0 Brentford - another clean sheet, but we were lucky in that we scored with our only shot on target. Brentford largely dominated.

Stoke 2-3 Rovers - we all remember this one. 3-0 up and everybody confused by what was happening. Two goals in two minutes suddenly makes it 3-2, Stoke then win and miss a penalty. Again, very lucky to get three points from this one.

Bolton 0-1 Rovers - another clean sheet, but it was a poor match and Bolton actually had double the amount of shots we did. They just couldn't score.

Rovers 2-1 Leeds - probably our best performance of the season so far. Matched Leeds and won the match after being pegged back just before half time.

Rovers 1-0 QPR - direct quote from Mowbray - "It was a pretty poor horrible football match I would have to say I don't think we should be trying to disguise that fact". Terrible match decided by a late penalty. 

Rovers 4-2 Sheff Weds - a good performance against a very poor team. 

Sheffield Wednesday is the only match we've won by more than a one goal margin. 

• Like 4

Based on what I've seen of us under TM in the 2 seasons or so he's been here I wouldn't be desperately upset were he to be replaced. 

However, my opinion of him hasn't changed one way or the other based on today, I thought he made an uncharacteristicly brave team selection today and for much of the match it looked like it was working a treat. The only thing I would criticise him for would be two very poor substitutions. I only hope he holds his nerve and continues down the route he dabbled with of trying to play with a bit more invention.

Edited by RevidgeBlue

3 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Based on what I've seen of us under TM in the 2 seasons or so he's been here I wouldn't be desperately upset were he to be replaced. 

However, my opinion of him hasn't changed one way or the other based on today, I thought he made an uncharacteristicly brave team selection today and for much of the match it looked like it was working a treat. The only thing I would criticise him for would be two very poor substitutions. I only hope he holds his nerve and continues down the route he dabbled with of trying to play with a bit more invention.

I know subs are always arguable but apart from when he had Chapman early doors in league 1 who's pace alone was a game changer at that level I've always felt his choice of subs has been mostly poor.

Bowyers were predictable and hesitant, Coyles were usually in desperation but Mowbrays are confusing, needless and odd at times. He gets it right now and again like they all do but it usually seems either subs for subs sake or an uncontrollable urge to tinker when he might not need to.

I’ve waited a few hours to post, otherwise it really would have been a ‘guts-to-gob’ like reaction. 

For me, there are four main issues:

1) Our front line is set out wrong. Playing 1 upfront, 2 in behind doesn’t work in my eyes. Danny Graham needs a man alongside him. We’re relying an awful lot on him holding the ball up, and that just can’t happen if he’s there alone. As a result, balls are coming right back at us, when we’re trying to push out.

2) Smallwood and Evans aren’t good enough to provide the back four with adequate protection . Smallwood hasn’t been good enough since his suspension last season. His decision making has been- the majority of the time- absolutely abysmal. Evans has had one decent season since he joined many moons back. For me though, his lack of pace has been telling. The lad’s legs have completely gone. 

3) The winger situation, which has been an issue for many years, is forcing us to play lads like Reed and Rothwell (who should be down the middle), out wide. Armstrong’s even played out there a few times, and more recently Bell and Nyambi have started to play as wing backs to compensate for this issue. If Nyambi and Bell push on, we are left vulnerable at the back. 

4) Confidence- any team that’s won 1 in 9 is bound to be shot of it. 

Mowbray is still the man for me, and will be for a long time. For anyone who remembers going to Plymouth, Southend or Oldham away , or even Doncaster at home last season, we’ve come a long way. This season wasn’t about promotion for the realist, it was about a mid table finish, with a solid base to build on for 19/20. 

Be careful what you wish for those calling for head. Venky’s are only a few phone calls away from appointing another hasbeen disaster of a manager.

Edited by scotchrover
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, scotchrover said:

I’ve waited a few hours to post, otherwise it really would have been a ‘guts-to-gob’ like reaction. 

For me, there are four main issues:

1) Our front line is set out wrong. Playing 1 upfront, 2 in behind doesn’t work in my eyes. Danny Graham needs a man alongside him. We’re relying an awful lot on him holding the ball up, and that just can’t happen if he’s there alone. As a result, balls are coming right back at us, when we’re trying to push out.

2) Smallwood and Evans aren’t good enough to provide the back four with adequate protection . Smallwood hasn’t been good enough since his suspension last season. His decision making has been- the majority of the time- absolutely abysmal. Evans has had one decent season since he joined many moons back. For me though, his lack of pace has been telling. The lad’s legs have completely gone. 

3) The winger situation, which has been an issue for many years, is forcing us to play lads like Reed and Rothwell (who should be down the middle), out wide. Armstrong’s even played out there a few times, and more recently Bell and Nyambi have started to play as wing backs to compensate for this issue. If Nyambi and Bell push on, we are left vulnerable at the back. 

4) Confidence- any team that’s won 1 in 9 is bound to be shot of it. 

Mowbray is still the man for me, and will be for a long time. For anyone who remembers going to Plymouth, Southend or Oldham away , or even Doncaster at home last season, we’ve come a long way. This season wasn’t about promotion for the realist, it was about a mid table finish, with a solid base to build on for 19/20. 

Be careful what you wish for those calling for head. Venky’s are only a few phone calls away from appointing another hasbeen disaster of a manager.

Some good points and agree with a lot of it but I will say most of what you raise can be put down to the manager, i'm not in the sack him brigade either it's just facts.

Also worth noting that Mowbray came from exactly the set of Venky appointing circumstances you mention, simply put they don't appoint anyone their agents just present them with a small list of their clients to stick a pin on.

The day they leave that method behind and let a competent director appoint someone might be the day we actually go places IF they backed him.

• Like 2