Sign in to follow this  
Butty

Mowbray’s Future

15 hours ago, Gav said:

As per usual some absolute bobbins talked on here, posters talking about similarities to the kean era, Coyle era, and us plummeting to league 1? WTF are you watching? 

The biggest problem we have is 90% of the site wanted Mowbray sacked in Oct 17, this before we went on to secure promotion at a canter, it's about saving face for many,

'I was right all along''

Load of crap chaps.....

Then we have the chief protagonists who actually never  go to games, yet dictate the bile spewed at a side they only ever see on a Pc monitor or smart phone, how can that form honest debate or opinion?

So let's have it right, we've been poor of late, results need to improve, but my god we're in a place we could only have dreamed of a few years back. Players have new contracts, the manager has built a structure, has his own people in place, when did we last have that luxury in place?

Time to get a grip, show some backbone, and back the best manager since these idiots came our way.

Consolidation this season, push on next.

Onwards and upwards. 

Happy New Year.

total agree time for a reality check of the last 9 promoted teams only 1 is above us, we have had a bad run of fixtures against the top teams it seems the modern way to sack the manager at the first dip in form I dont see Man city crying out for their manager to go after losing 3 .

14 minutes ago, had.e.nuff said:

total agree time for a reality check of the last 9 promoted teams only 1 is above us, we have had a bad run of fixtures against the top teams it seems the modern way to sack the manager at the first dip in form I dont see Man city crying out for their manager to go after losing 3 .

But it isn't just these last 3 or 4 games against good sides that people are concerned about. We had Wigan, PNE, Rotherham and Birmingham just before and picked up a poor points return and performed even worse against those sides than we did at Leeds and Sheffield. When you only win 1 in 10 or 11 you can't hide behind a few tough fixtures. You have to either grind out results or make hay when playing the poorer teams, like 1 win in 13 Wigan.

7 minutes ago, JHRover said:

But it isn't just these last 3 or 4 games against good sides that people are concerned about. We had Wigan, PNE, Rotherham and Birmingham just before and picked up a poor points return and performed even worse against those sides than we did at Leeds and Sheffield. When you only win 1 in 10 or 11 you can't hide behind a few tough fixtures. You have to either grind out results or make hay when playing the poorer teams, like 1 win in 13 Wigan.

In a nutshell. Hadenuffs argument is the same one peddled on social media by 90% of our fans and it just doesn’t hold up as you rightly point out. ‘But we’ve faced all the hard teams’ ‘What do we expect against X?’ ‘I assumed we’d get 0 points anyway’.

1 win in bloody 9 people. Needs to change starting today.

Excellent tactically today to drop the midfield into a proper bank of four when we were expecting to lose our shit.

Everyone knew what they were doing, and reduced the usual panic.

Two strikers to press, harry, hold up and run the channels.

Great game management that was getting him calls for the sack in the match thread.

Tell you what he put his balls on the line a bit there taking Dack off for Conway, if we let it slip the knives would have been being sharpened.

As it was we changed shape and saw the game out with only a couple more scares

A successful days work for Tony!

Credit to Tony today, tactics and subs appear to be spot on. Bringing on an experienced head in Conway was probably a good idea considering our recent capitulations, whilst bringing off a player who - whilst very important for us - had just proven himself to be a liability defensively. 

10 hours ago, had.e.nuff said:

You seem to overlook the manner in which we have thrown so many points away needlessly. Manager bound to get stick in this situation.

Delighted that we got all three points yesterday, hopefully also a few days on from our nightmares in Yorkshire, most folk might have calmed down a bit too?

Don't get me wrong, I was as livid as the next person with the graft the team had undertaken, but then only to self implode late on. Though it might serve at times to have a period of reflection before calling for wholesale changes in management. I'm sure TM was as bemused and angry as the supporters, but we all could do to consider that Rovers are most definitely a work in progress after the madness which has befallen us for 6/7 years now, but surely TM has been the best thing to have come our way now since? Admittedly overly cautious at times, which can be frustrating, yet he has engineered a team spirit and togetherness amongst a set of players we've not seen for quite some time, yes they have their limitations, but surely the way forward is to look to make the continual improvements in quality which he's stated he'd like. Likewise I'm sure TM might be asking questions of his back room team, with the technical and fitness coaches, as to whether these instances are fixable and to crack on to stop them reoccurring. 

Surely to goodness though, let's not give our owners any thoughts as to making any rash decisions, we've been there and it wasn't very pleasant. 

The knee jerk fan reaction definitely leads to managers being sacked at some clubs. I don't think Mowbray will be going anywhere anytime soon and I'm happy about that. I believe you need to give managers time. Look at Norwich. 

It depends.

If you think the manager is merely on a bad run, then of course sacking them can be counter productive, but it shouldn’t be a mantra for all circumstances.

How much time did Coyle need?

Edited by Mattyblue

6 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

It depends.

If you think the manager is merely on a bad run, then of course sacking them can be counter productive, but it shouldn’t be a mantra for all circumstances.

How much time did Coyle need?

Well that appointment stank from day one. Didn't we lose 4-1 to Norwich opening day and then not win in 7? Kean was the the same. By God they left him in situ in spite of fans for so long it felt like torture. 

Mowbray has shown he is no mug and can get results. We all know he is cautious, but I think we will move in the right direction under him ultimately. We have some good young players and he seems to be able to motivate them 

My main concern with Mowbray is that we won't really move in any direction under him. It'll be middle of the road forevermore unless there's some pretty significant investment in the first team squad (or in the wrong direction if players are sold and funds withdrawn, ala Bowyer). Obviously you have to give the man time to prove otherwise, but impressions from his first couple of years or so at the club suggests, to me, that he doesn't have the courage to push an average team into playoff/promotion contention. 

Agreed BDS.

But generally speaking you need to see something to make you want to ‘give them time’. Some just aren’t up to it and need sacking before they do lasting damage.

Edited by Mattyblue

I’m of the view that Mowbray has two personas, the public one ever supportive of the players and the behind-the-scenes one, which I think came to the fore yesterday. Firstly, I don’t believe Williams is injured - he didn’t even go down against the Blades did he? Grayson on the bench in his place says to me TM has decided to make an example of Williams. Equally subbing Dack straight after that penalty. I think he’s had enough of whatever has been going on.

16 minutes ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

I’m of the view that Mowbray has two personas, the public one ever supportive of the players and the behind-the-scenes one, which I think came to the fore yesterday. Firstly, I don’t believe Williams is injured - he didn’t even go down against the Blades did he? Grayson on the bench in his place says to me TM has decided to make an example of Williams. Equally subbing Dack straight after that penalty. I think he’s had enough of whatever has been going on.

Interesting observations. You could well be right

3 hours ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

I said in the match thread I hadn't heard anything about Williams being injured, so that was an odd one for me. Dack was clearly stunned to be given the hook as well, although I think that was more to do with Tony wanting to defend the lead than punishing Dack for his stupidity.

10 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Well that appointment stank from day one. Didn't we lose 4-1 to Norwich opening day and then not win in 7? Kean was the the same. By God they left him in situ in spite of fans for so long it felt like torture. 

Mowbray has shown he is no mug and can get results. We all know he is cautious, but I think we will move in the right direction under him ultimately. We have some good young players and he seems to be able to motivate them 

Surely, if TM doesn't get us up in the next 2 seasons, he'll be potted? God knows what happens then! Unless the plan is simply to produce an endless succession of Dacks!!

As opposed to an endless succession of Breretons of course! If that's his decision he'll already be on marshy ground! 

Just for the record in view of the criticism TM has received on this thread. I, amongst a small number of others, have his back completely. It feels a bit like planting a galatasary flag in a fenerbache centre circle (if you catch my drift) but this bloke is the best thing to happen to Rovers for years and by miles our best manager since Sam ( and is a much better bloke IMV). We’ve had a bad run no question. But played top teams in the last four. He always said at the outset that we would win some and lose some this season but always hope to compete. And ultimately consolidate.  As far as I can remember very few thought that unreasonable ...until we started losing a few. But he has been proved so far correct.  We are not the finished article  but we have a team that competes, a club that is functional, a structure in place, a connection with fans and he is ..again IMV...completely responsible for that.  And I’m not going to be mealy mouthed and subject that to qualifications  like ‘needs to do better’. He’s doing bloody fine in my book.

This is just like under Bowyer.

One win and it’s back to full-on superfan support.

I’ll carry on supporting Blackburn Rovers and not whichever millionaire happens to have the closest view of the pitch.

That said, Mowbray needs to build on this result now and not keep chopping and changing. Delighted with three points against the Baggies but he’s only one dodgy team selection of being right back at square one. A decent League One manager, an average Championship one.

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

I’ll carry on supporting Blackburn Rovers and not whichever millionaire happens to have the closest view of the pitch.

That said, Mowbray needs to build on this result now and not keep chopping and changing. Delighted with three points against the Baggies but he’s only one dodgy team selection of being right back at square one. A decent League One manager, an average Championship one.

Bowyer for me is miles ahead of TM. Both seem to struggle with subs however and in game management.

No doubting GB has a far better transfer record without the luxuary of a 7 million player. 

Too many late goals being conceded so is it fitness or concentration it’s happening to often, something like 17 points we’ve lost or more from winning positions. 

Said at Wigan I’d hold of a new deal for TM, we came runners up to Wigan. He achieved the least expected, we needed to get to Easter to judge him, there is hardly a que for TM for any vacancy which about is a level of his stock on football.

Now after a bright start he’s languishing below mid table with a top half wage budget.

Big second half of the season to come up for sure. 

Edited by Scotland1

I really liked Bowyer. Was a decent man with integrity and  intelligence and had a real eye for a player (perhaps aided by his dad? ) but he wasn’t able to reconstruct the club like Mowbray has.  Don’t get me wrong. I don’t think TM is perfect. And I doubt he does either. I just think he’s doing better than he’s given credit for on here. 

6 hours ago, Stuart said:

Delighted with three points against the Baggies but he’s only one dodgy team selection of being right back at square one.

I hope the above was written with a touch of irony because otherwise i respect your opinion about TM even if i think he is doing a bloody good job.

Little bit worried that the disconnect between fans and team is creeping in but apart from shambolic defending i still see players running and battling hard - something lacking pre TM under Vs. Not all is rosy but better than i expected at the end of last season.