BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Mowbray’s Future

4 hours ago, Ewood Ace said:

Huge Summer Coming up in my opinion that could shape the next 4-5 years for the club. In my opinion plenty to ship out and plenty to bring in.

For me the Outgoings would be. Smallwood, Bell, Bennett, Williams, Samuel, Conway and Gladwin. All League 1 players at best. I'd also loan out one of Brereton or Nuttall to League 1 for a season.

Incomings that I think we need are:

A big dominant experienced leader to go straight into the team at centre back is an absolute must.

Also a must is some proper competition for Graham upfront.

A left Back that can defend.

A right back to provide adequate cover for Nyambe.

Harrison Reed as a central midfielder. If that's not doable then another central midfielder with some forward vision.

And finally one or maybe even two wingers, who can cross a ball.

Hardly surprising we have the worst crossing statistics in the league when we haven't played a winger out wide.  Horses for courses and all that..

5 hours ago, Ewood Ace said:

Huge Summer Coming up in my opinion that could shape the next 4-5 years for the club. In my opinion plenty to ship out and plenty to bring in.

For me the Outgoings would be. Smallwood, Bell, Bennett, Williams, Samuel, Conway and Gladwin. All League 1 players at best. I'd also loan out one of Brereton or Nuttall to League 1 for a season.

Incomings that I think we need are:

A big dominant experienced leader to go straight into the team at centre back is an absolute must.

Also a must is some proper competition for Graham upfront.

A left Back that can defend.

A right back to provide adequate cover for Nyambe.

Harrison Reed as a central midfielder. If that's not doable then another central midfielder with some forward vision.

And finally one or maybe even two wingers, who can cross a ball.

Agree with much of that except I would keep Benno to be around the squad, cup games and cup appearances. 

On wingers, we already have Chapman and Rothwell. 

The amount of players we'll need to replace will cost us a lot, that's why I'm so eager for him to blood some youth players NOW. If they can step up then we'll have more money to spend on quality rather than quantity. Not that i'm advocating blowing Brereton type money on players but a few 2-3 million on players in key positions. 

• Like 1

What did people think of Mowbrays comments suggesting that we are doing well to be on level points with Preston?

I thought they were a little strange, we shouldnt be using a team of Prestons stature as one who it is a big achievement to be on par with. Prestons horrendous start to the season has meant they are having a poor season so its nothing to be boasting about in press conferences.

Interesting to see the PNE manager and players in the media bigging up a play off push and saying it is achievable, and ours is saying this:

“There’s still a long way to go but it looks like we’re going to fall short of what we would like to achieve."

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/17434228.tony-mowbray-on-rovers-aspirations-for-the-final-14-games/

• Like 1

Im not sure if this is off topic but it’s has much a question has an opinion. During the late 80s and early 90s when we where involved in our annual fight against promotion there was always a suspicion that our players didn’t want it. Whether this is true or not it was not surprising when the old guard where exchanged for hungrier players it was achieved. 

To achieve promotion you need hunger and a belief across the team including management that your too good for where you are. I have no evidence for this but how many of our current old guard would still be here if we where promoted and do they believe they are to good for this league. 

Im not sure organic growth in a rapidly changing environment is feasible without a significant element of luck due to the infinite number of variables involved.

This is only an opinion but without a degree of luck Mowbray philosophy will fail  due to a number of factors. Firstly the old guard he relies have no real incentive to change the status quo if it’s not broken for them why change it. Secondly younger hungrier better players who believe they are to good for this league will move. Finally you reap what you sew if you are seen as stagnant the players you attract are either here for rather ride or on the way up and out.

This is not meant to be negative but a general observation to coin the old phrase your either going forward or back.

• Like 3

• Backroom
35 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

What did people think of Mowbrays comments suggesting that we are doing well to be on level points with Preston?

I thought they were a little strange, we shouldnt be using a team of Prestons stature as one who it is a big achievement to be on par with. Prestons horrendous start to the season has meant they are having a poor season so its nothing to be boasting about in press conferences.

Interesting to see the PNE manager and players in the media bigging up a play off push and saying it is achievable, and ours is saying this:

“There’s still a long way to go but it looks like we’re going to fall short of what we would like to achieve."

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/17434228.tony-mowbray-on-rovers-aspirations-for-the-final-14-games/

Mowbray seems to see every club as superior to us in some way to be honest. He takes the underdog schtick to absurd levels, like when he was waxing lyrical about bottom of the table Bury last year before we faced them. Sometimes it's OK to be favourites and to have a little ambition.

• Like 3

Just now, DE. said:

Mowbray seems to see every club as superior to us in some way to be honest. He takes the underdog schtick to absurd levels, like when he was waxing lyrical about bottom of the table Bury last year before we faced them. Sometimes it's OK to be favourites and to have a little ambition.

I know Preston have had a few decent years at this level, but theyve not made the play offs for a long while and our resources dwarf theirs.

They also had the handicap of a terrible start due to being riddled with injuries.

7 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I know Preston have had a few decent years at this level, but theyve not made the play offs for a long while and our resources dwarf theirs.

They also had the handicap of a terrible start due to being riddled with injuries.

Looking at the overall picture I’ll be disappointed with anything below 7th, which is where we finished last season. Not exactly a mark of progress if we finish below that, although we are now playing very well. Potts looks a bargain at £1.5m.

I don’t blame Alex Neil at all. He’s an excellent manager and for some reason Hemmings didn’t really back him to replace Hugill in the summer and it all spiralled from there. Injuries terrible and out of our control but Hemmings had a chance to help us kick on in the summer and passed on it, the (re-)investment (of player sale cash) in January was welcome, but 6 months too late to seriously have a go at the play-offs.

Problem is we’ll probably lose a couple again in summer. Pearson has been attracting Prem interest for a while, and rumour has it a deal for Robinson to go to Bournemouth is already done for summer for around £12m. I think we have a better squad and recruitment structure now to cope with that, compared to when Hugill and Cunningham were sold.

Edited by north_ender

Just now, north_ender said:

Looking at the overall picture I’ll be disappointed with anything below 7th, which is where we finished last season. Not exactly a mark of progress if we finish below that, although we are now playing very well. Potts looks a bargain at £1.5m.

I don’t blame Alex Neil at all. He’s an excellent manager and for some reason Hemmings didn’t really back him to replace Hugill in the summer and it all spiralled from there. Injuries terrible and out of our control but Hemmings had a chance to help us kick on in the summer and passed on it, the (re-)investment (of player sale cash) in January was welcome, but 6 months too late to seriously have a go at the play-offs.

Problem is we’ll probably lose a couple again in summer. Pearson has been attracting Prem interest for a while, and rumour has it a deal for Robinson to go to Bournemouth is already done for summer for around £12m. I think we have a better squad and recruitment structure now to cope with that, compared to when Hugill and Cunningham were sold.

As good as Pearson is at what he does, his ill discipline and constant red cards mean I am not convinced he would be a wise move for a Premier League club.

On ‎14‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 06:23, AllRoverAsia said:

ÏMowbray is not going anywhere. He is contracted until June 2022, his mate Waggott is his 'boss' in name at Ewood and Venkys like how he deflects attention away from them.

His stated aim is family security and putting his kid(s) through Uni, his plan will be to finance that via Rovers not the Dole queue.

Be prepared for years of mediocrity, there is no way he can build an auto PL promotion capable team at Ewood, playoffs possible even for an average team hitting form at season end.

I am going to give him a max of 4 more transfer windows including friggin Januarys, with this summer being very important. He has players to replace and positions to fill but stymied already with his players contract extension madness. Like many I expect no progress, but for Mowbrays job to be safe.

I think we have been done up like a kipper but it's ok, he's a nice open and honest bloke.

And fucking Preston, from miles behind, are now above us. Amazing what a good January window can do!

This is exactly how I see it too.

A long term contract with his chum as CEO is great for Mowbray but not good for Rovers' progression - as evidenced by the lack of ambition in the last window.

I think the Chapman signing was just to appease the fans a little - doesn't look like he will play much this year  - we could have waited until  the summer and saved half a season of wages or got a useful loan player in

Overall I think this season has been drab at best.

1 hour ago, Boroblue said:

Im not sure if this is off topic but it’s has much a question has an opinion. During the late 80s and early 90s when we where involved in our annual fight against promotion there was always a suspicion that our players didn’t want it. Whether this is true or not it was not surprising when the old guard where exchanged for hungrier players it was achieved. 

To achieve promotion you need hunger and a belief across the team including management that your too good for where you are. I have no evidence for this but how many of our current old guard would still be here if we where promoted and do they believe they are to good for this league. 

Im not sure organic growth in a rapidly changing environment is feasible without a significant element of luck due to the infinite number of variables involved.

This is only an opinion but without a degree of luck Mowbray philosophy will fail  due to a number of factors. Firstly the old guard he relies have no real incentive to change the status quo if it’s not broken for them why change it. Secondly younger hungrier better players who believe they are to good for this league will move. Finally you reap what you sew if you are seen as stagnant the players you attract are either here for rather ride or on the way up and out.

This is not meant to be negative but a general observation to coin the old phrase your either going forward or back.

I remember the myths supposedly from something a director was once overheard saying but thought it was more down to the club having to fork out bonuses, bigger wages and reconstruct the ground in a time when promotion to top flight didn't bring much more in the way of revenue apart from maybe doubling the crowds if you were lucky.

Different kettle of fish these days it's all about money and some might fall by the wayside but the bonuses they'd get for winning promotion plus other stuff triggered in contracts etc would be tempting enough to give it a go and take the risk I reckon.

Knowing Rovers and agent influenced ownership a lot would be quids in if they weren't wanted as they'd get paid off their recently extended deals once the percentage boys get in the ears and the revolving door starts again.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Found this on twitter. Thought I would share it. 

? "I love footballers who are humble, work hard, love the game, focus on what their job is and let everyone else talk about them. Just good human beings are the best footballers for me." ?️ @Rovers boss Tony Mowbray on the type of player he loves to manage...

https://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/mowbray-on-management/158476?aff=1197317997&dcmp=SL_TWITTER_TONYMOWBRAY1302

He should have added "and are good enough".

10 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Found this on twitter. Thought I would share it. 

? "I love footballers who are humble, work hard, love the game, focus on what their job is and let everyone else talk about them. Just good human beings are the best footballers for me." ?️ @Rovers boss Tony Mowbray on the type of player he loves to manage...

https://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/mowbray-on-management/158476?aff=1197317997&dcmp=SL_TWITTER_TONYMOWBRAY1302

His holier than thou bullshit is getting old. He should be creating a winning football team, not a team of choir boys. 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

His holier than thou bullshit is getting old. He should be creating a winning football team, not a team of choir boys. 

I know, he’s a bit of a broken record on the subject.

We’ve had our fair share of mercenaries and “couldn’t cares” for the last decade though... 

So last season; winning more, being the big boys, promotion and big away followings etc etc didn’t matter as much to me as seeing performances like Benno and Smallwood vs. Shrewsbury. 

Proper heart, pride, and pulling their bags out for the badge.

It’s not a bad thing to base your club and philosophy around imo

• Like 3

I thought TM was getting somewhere a few weeks ago. Williams and Smallwood dropped, soon to be free agent Downing off the wage bill, Conway nowhere in sight. Travis, Armstromg, Reed and Raya flourishing.

But i was wrong. In my opinion there are zero reasons to be starting the likes of Williams, Smallwood and Conway again. All three are clearly past their use by date and are only standing in the way of developing/auditioning our own youngsters. Nyambe, Travis, Rothwell and Brereton are all much more in need of game time. Conway has to be gone in June and I'd be biting the hand off any opportunity to get rid of the others. Thanks for the service.

I simply cannot think of 1 reason why Conway and Smallwood are back in the starting 11 at the expense of Nyambe (Bennett pushed forward), and Rothwell. 

I'd love to see TM take the shackles off just once and start with Reed and Travis in the middle behind Armstrong, Dack, Rothwell and Graham (Nyambe RB). But I'd speculate the odds of that happening are longer than our promotion odds.

If I see a starting 11 on Sunday without Nyambe at RB and with Smallwood and Conway in midfield... I'm gonna start a Mowbray out chant ? 

8 minutes ago, Angry_Pirate said:

I'd love to see TM take the shackles off just once and start with Reed and Travis in the middle behind Armstrong, Dack, Rothwell and Graham (Nyambe RB). But I'd speculate the odds of that happening are longer than our promotion odds.

If I see a starting 11 on Sunday without Nyambe at RB and with Smallwood and Conway in midfield... I'm gonna start a Mowbray out chant ? 

Don’t you dare! ?

Agree with the first part regarding going for it, but it would be purely for entertainment...

Two strikers, two second strikers/number 10s, zero sitting defensive mids/two forward thinking centre mids. 

We would lose 10-9 and people would criticise Mowbray for not being able to sort the defence.

It would be ace.

Still think Smallwood is underrated on here btw. Yeah he’s not Pirlo but there’s not much between him and Evans for me. 

Edited by S8 & Blue
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

What absolutely bizarre comments from TM. Hypothetically, if we were to win the next five or six games then we would still have a sniff of the play offs but those comments sound like the green light for the players to take the rest of the season off. 

"We haven't done as well as we've liked  but it doesn't matter, it's "where we're at" so we might as well give up for the rest of the season."

Hardly going to have people flocking to the ground for the rest of the season or queueing round the block to renew their ST is it?

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

What absolutely bizarre comments from TM. Hypothetically, if we were to win the next five or six games then we would still have a sniff of the play offs but those comments sound like the green light for the players to take the rest of the season off. 

"We haven't done as well as we've liked  but it doesn't matter, it's "where we're at" so we might as well give up for the rest of the season."

Hardly going to have people flocking to the ground for the rest of the season or queueing round the block to renew their ST is it?

Doesn't sound like total committment to me

aviary-image-1550278322407.jpeg

Edited by Oldgregg86
  • Like 2

Come on. 

We all know that if he was saying “let’s go for it we have a real chance” he’d be being called out for being deluded.

A bit of realism wouldn’t go amiss.

Wembley was still a fair old pipe dream for me when we were 3 points away and Assombalonga was 70% here.

Blowing a few million and the wage structure apart in a January with an outside chance would’ve been stupid.

On paper we are a pretty weak team in this league. We all know we’ve got some players that aren’t up to the next level. 

Another 4 game winning streak and Mowbray will be a god again. Then we lose the next 3 and “he’s not the man to take us forwards”.

We aren’t playoff winning quality yet and pretty much nothing could have been done in January to change that.

I still have faith in my massively optimistic prediction of top 10 and if we achieve that - it’s been a hell of a successful season.

Edited by S8 & Blue