BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Mowbray’s Future

55 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

its looking that way. Plenty of bargains out there. 

How much did Benrahma cost Brentford? signed from Second division in French

But we need to make they are the right characters for the team and the team we are building

when Mowbray 1st joined us we had Paul Senior who I would imagine was going to run the recruitment side of their club. 

It would be good if anyone who is going to Mowbray evening event next week talk to him about the scouting network and the work he done improving it and wants to do. 

When do Tommy Johnson left? how many scouts do we have? and how many would he like? 

What improvements has Stuart Harvey do since becoming Rovers chief scout to the scouting network? 

wasn't the Rovers scouting network destroy by Kean and Shebby by using agents? 

How can you sign Foreign players without any kind of scouting going on before. Also Mowbray has said he gets plenty of phone calls from agents offering foreign players but he is very worried about signing them without proper scouting them. surely this right? don't want to go back to Kean and Shebby days do we? 

It wouldn't just be one or 2 scouts would it? you probably want at least 1 in the countries he mentioned previous. If I remember correct the countries he mentioned was Belgium, France, Germany and Scandinavian 

no that was the November/December meeting

There are almost two types of scouts. One will look for and identify players and the other will look at future opponents and send in a report to the manager. At most clubs these are separate departments but I honestly don't know if Harvey managers both aspects or somebody else does the recruitment.

Last Saturday Phil Wilson was at Bolton taking copious notes and photographs with a view to the upcoming games against Bolton and Preston.

3 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/17437488.rovers-boss-tony-mowbray-lifts-the-lid-on-switzerland-trip/

I thought he'd just gone to a FIFA museum?:rolleyes:

He's certainly putting the ball in Venky's court. The 'L1 to stable Prem' team in 3 years quote is probably what is expected of him by the owners. He's saying he wants more money and time. Fair enough. Other managers have done it though. He needs to be careful of not coming across as defeatist. 

Could be looking into this far too much but seemed a conscious change of tone from the previous ‘we want to build slowly and only bring players in to help and not replace those that got us promoted’ we’ve been served up. 

5 hours ago, arbitro said:

Another frustrating interview from Mowbray in my opinion. He talks like he has just come to the club and identified a weakness. He has been here for two years which should have been ample time to put the wheels in motion to scour Europe. 

Exactly this. In every interview he talks about the set up like he's just taken on the job.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

What absolutely bizarre comments from TM. Hypothetically, if we were to win the next five or six games then we would still have a sniff of the play offs but those comments sound like the green light for the players to take the rest of the season off. 

"We haven't done as well as we've liked  but it doesn't matter, it's "where we're at" so we might as well give up for the rest of the season."

Hardly going to have people flocking to the ground for the rest of the season or queueing round the block to renew their ST is it?

It's bizarre! He'd practically given up even when we were just a few points off the play-offs.

Now we have Preston on the same points as us, and their manager has basically stated their aim is to go up and up and see if 6th place is achievable (and good luck to them).

I'm afraid we're stuck with a negative manager. That's the way he is. It's going to be like that for the rest of his time here. He isn't going to change one bit.

Where is the 50% off the £99 ticket sale?

Roll on the cricket season.

Screenshot_20190216-133918_1_1.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/17437488.rovers-boss-tony-mowbray-lifts-the-lid-on-switzerland-trip/

I thought he'd just gone to a FIFA museum?:rolleyes:

He's certainly putting the ball in Venky's court. The 'L1 to stable Prem' team in 3 years quote is probably what is expected of him by the owners. He's saying he wants more money and time. Fair enough. Other managers have done it though. He needs to be careful of not coming across as defeatist. 

Why Switzerland ?? who else was attending that lives in Switzerland. Is it just me whose a touch suspicious on their choice of location. 

Re: talent spotting abroad. Please tony don’t mention to venky’s you have spotted the next generation of Portuguese superstars and think we can play like Barcelona ?

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

There are almost two types of scouts. One will look for and identify players and the other will look at future opponents and send in a report to the manager. At most clubs these are separate departments but I honestly don't know if Harvey managers both aspects or somebody else does the recruitment.

Last Saturday Phil Wilson was at Bolton taking copious notes and photographs with a view to the upcoming games against Bolton and Preston.

on the Rovers official website its says Stuart Harvey is Head of Club Talent Identification & Player Analysis. 

So its fair to say Phil Wilson is the opposition scout then. 

do you know how many scouts we got?

Edited by chaddyrovers

2 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

For a few weeks now my mobile chrome browser will not open the LT website, no idea why it used to be just the Daily Mail that was a problem.

The bonus is that I do not have to read this sort of crap from Mowbray.

I think they must have added some kind of 'slyware' to their site as my set-up doesn't like it one bit.

Warning! Warning!

3 hours ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

I’m not sure this time. You can imagine all their ‘hangers on’ getting in their ears with talk of the PL riches (wealth and access to people) being within touching distance. I reckon they’ll try to get TM to go for it in the summer or will get somebody in who will if he’s not game. I think it will be an interesting summer either way.

Have you missed the last 8 years? Venkys have a history of being loyal to people that dance to their tune, Mowbray ain't going anywhere unless Mowbray wants to.

Just done a quick search on Linkedin and find some profiles that say they are scouts for Rovers. 

John Brown - regional scout 

Phil Wilson - senior scout

Donatella Berardi - Scouting administrator

Frank Sharps - recruitment and talent ID operations manager

George England - technical Scout

Ive uploaded Phil Wilson and George England profiles as they explained what their role is. 

Screenshot_20190216-144905_LinkedIn.jpg

Screenshot_20190216-145135_LinkedIn.jpg

Edited by chaddyrovers

8 minutes ago, CrouchingNunhiddenCucumber said:

Have you missed the last 8 years? Venkys have a history of being loyal to people that dance to their tune, Mowbray ain't going anywhere unless Mowbray wants to.

Been very much suffering like you during that time pal. Yes, and they also show form of doing something when you least expect it. It only ever takes the right, or wrong, person to get in their ear. As I say, let’s see - I think it’ll be an interesting summer at least. 

12 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

on the Rovers official website its says Stuart Harvey is Head of Club Talent Identification & Player Analysis. 

So its fair to say Phil Wilson is the opposition scout then. 

do you know how many scouts we got?

I'm sorry I don't know for sure. I would hazard a guess and say no more than five or six who work for the senior team. Again a guess but there will be another group identifying the youngsters.

• Backroom

My worry from the interviews is that he actively doesn’t want to spend money so it can’t be used against him and he prefers to keep expectations low.

Think most managers would have used the funds on offer in January. 

• Like 4

Earlier today I was listening to a Football Daily podcast about Eric Harrison, the ex Manchester Utd coach who has just passed on age 81.

He was quoted as saying that within a couple of weeks of Ferguson being named manager Ferguson called him to one side to say he was unimpressed by the youth setup. Harrison's reply was to look across at City, they have many more scouts than Utd!!

Result was that within a couple of weeks more the Utd scouting network was 3 x that of City, one outcome being the group of '92

I digress sorry Vinjay.

6 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I'm sorry I don't know for sure. I would hazard a guess and say no more than five or six who work for the senior team. Again a guess but there will be another group identifying the youngsters.

thanks for answers. much appreciated. 

Yes Ive see that on LinkedIn first team and academy scouts

10 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Been very much suffering like you during that time pal. Yes, and they also show form of doing something when you least expect it. It only ever takes the right, or wrong, person to get in their ear. As I say, let’s see - I think it’ll be an interesting summer at least. 

Fair. Probably came across more emotional than intended so apologies. Fingers crossed you're right, apathy has well and truly set in for me. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CrouchingNunhiddenCucumber said:

Gary Bowyer ?

Although I will say on that one he was already here whereas Mowbray probably arrived via the channels the rest of them did so it could well be a long stint even if we go nowhere.

3 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Gary Bowyer ?

Although I will say on that one he was already here whereas Mowbray probably arrived via the channels the rest of them did so it could well be a long stint even if we go nowhere.

Bowyer went to India several times, I'd say he did as he was told. 

And I'm not sure Mowbray arrived via the same channels as the rest of them, in fact wasn't it matey we had for half a season that got him in? 

26 minutes ago, CrouchingNunhiddenCucumber said:

Bowyer went to India several times, I'd say he did as he was told. 

And I'm not sure Mowbray arrived via the same channels as the rest of them, in fact wasn't it matey we had for half a season that got him in? 

A former well placed 'source' said he arrived like all the rest i.e no director etc in England knew anything about it until they were told he was coming the day before. Maybe just the usual cloak and dagger Venky stiff so they could all get their bets on but I don't think it's coincidence all their appointments were left field never in the running 25-1 shots.  But then again you wouldn't say anything if the bosses told you not to so who knows, personally I doubt Senior had much to do with it but he probably highly recommended getting rid of Coyle. 

He was just another blame deflector with no real purpose though imo after they realised they'd screwed up in epic proportions getting Coyle in.

As for Bowyer yes I've no doubt he was a real yes mam no man guy but they potted him after he had the club in a comfort zone for a few years and made them millions, on the recommendations of those who had most to gain from the revolving door manager/player policy again i'd wager. GB wasn't their man after all but they pretty soon got another one in the hot seat in an effort to be Kean mk2.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, JacknOry said:

France and Germany especially is where you're going to find potential gems that are not overpriced like players here. 

Anywhere where there are good academies. There are quite a few in the Eredivisie. Young players get a good go in the Belgian first division and Austrian Bundesliga too. I think it is possible to pick up players from the the main leagues around Europe but we'd have an even better chance getting more value for money in smaller leagues. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Neal said:

Anywhere where there are good academies. There are quite a few in the Eredivisie. Young players get a good go in the Belgian first division and Austrian Bundesliga too. I think it is possible to pick up players from the the main leagues around Europe but we'd have an even better chance getting more value for money in smaller leagues. 

is there any players you could suggest we should target in the summer from Germany and France?