BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Mowbray’s Future

5 minutes ago, Lie_still_Rover said:

Chapman, Dack, Rothwell, Bell are all young players with bags of potential. 

He's nurtured young lads such as: Raya, Lenihan, Nyambe, Travis and as a result they're established first team players. 

You say he inherited half the squad. Which is correct. He almost avoided nailed on relegation. Got us promoted at the first attempt - something Sunderland and others such as Leeds and Forest struggled to do.. 

And he's now got us stabilised in midtable when other promoted sides are languishing and in turmoil.. 

Get a grip. 

Chapman was only a sub last time and that will be the same this time. Rothwell stuck on the bench all year even Conway has started more games than him. Bell is a terrible defender who's afraid to try and stop a cross. 

As for the young lads Lenihan has regressed from his performances at this level 2 seasons ago.  Travis could have been (and should have been) playing all season but he was as good as ostracised from first team action for 10 months after one red card. As for Nyambe he's by far our best full back but he can't get into the team as the manager has to shoehorn Bennett in somewhere even though everyone can see he's not a full back.

• Like 2

96% of BRFCS members have voted BACK

And let’s be honest, those of us who have been here a while, know this board can be pretty fickle and vociferous at times....which fans messageboard isn’t?

Mowbray had a dream, to build a football team..... let him get on with it!

• Like 1

Just now, Exiled in Toronto said:

Your 8 posts in the last hour arguing with infrequent posters who think he’s doing an OK job illustrates my point perfectly. 

It doesn't really illustrate anything except your lack of coherent arguments and your need to imagine a silent majority that share your own view....precisely because you have no coherent arguments. The people I'm 'arguing' with seem to have that in common with you.

I voted remain and not Mogxit by the way. Please try to keep up?

Just now, Ewood Ace said:

Promoted out of League 1 Bowyer never manged us in League 1 as he never took us down. 

But you are missing the "if you extrapolated his results over a season" line ? Everyone knows that had Mowbrays points tally been over the full season we'd have beat Brazil in 1970

Just now, rog of the rovers said:

96% of BRFCS members have voted BACK

And let’s be honest, those of us who have been here a while, know this board can be pretty fickle and vociferous at times....which fans messageboard isn’t?

Or look at it another way 63% aren't sure that he is the man to lead us into next season.

Edited by Ewood Ace

9 hours ago, JHRover said:

Venus is assistant manager as he always has been to Mowbray, except at Coventry where he was involved in recruitment and Mowbray had Jamie Clapham as his assistant.

I know Venus has had personal issues to deal with this season which was the reason he was absent a lot before Christmas, things seemed to pick up from New Years onwards when he was back in the dugout, possibly a coincidence though possibly a sign that his presence is needed.

I'm not sure what the crack is with Lowe but I find it interesting how he's managed to end up where he is. When Mowbray arrived he was immediately promoted from his job with the academy to assistant manager and then kept on whilst Dunn was demoted back to the reserves. I don't really know the bloke but something just doesn't stack up there with me. Maybe it's my paranoia after years of Venkys but I wonder how much choice Mowbray has had in that appointment and if none then who did.

didn't Venus lose his wife before Christmas? 

9 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Overall our defensive record this season has been shockingly poor. You seem reluctant to acknowledge that. Mowbray seemed non plus about it last week, he has been negligent in bringing defenders into the club whilst splashing out on "project" signing strikers who have yet to make an impact.

You are just throwing out words like trust without acknowledging his flaws. Does he know how to get us promoted? Not sure at all.

sadly yet again Ive acknowledge it but I don't keep going on about time after time clogging up the messageboard day after day

No I trust Mowbray with his plans for the club short and long term. 

9 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

You mean 6 or 7 more squad fillers who don't actually improve the team ?

7 or 8 new players who will increase quality and competition for places

7 hours ago, JHRover said:

It would be the mother of all remarkable coincidences for Mowbray to have had zero input into the appointment of Waggott as CEO and for him to just so happen to have ended up getting a job at the same club as Mowbray a short while after they were both working together at Coventry.

The level of Mowbray's input into that decision is questionable but I think it is very safe to assume at the very least he put in a good word or gave the idea a thumbs up when suggested to him.

didn't Mowbray's say he had no input in Waggott appointment

5 hours ago, Ewood Ace said:

Would love to see Sparky back at Ewood. Five times the manager that Mowbray will ever be. He can organise a defence for starters.

The same Mark Hughes that couldn't organised a defence at Southampton and Stoke whilst spending millions after millions. seem to forget that

57 minutes ago, Lie_still_Rover said:

Mowbray has, and continues to do a brilliant job imo. He inherited a dreadful side. I'll never forget Barnsley away with Wes Brown at the back.. We were awful. 

He's brought the club back to life. Invested in Young hungry players, got us promoted and stabilised us in midtable in his first season back.. 

Talk about reactionary.. 

51 minutes ago, Paul Mellelieu said:

Very sad to see this on the site.  Thought we were better.  Of course TM should be given another season.  Some people think we are a big hitter and deserve much more.  They haven't noticed the last nine years.

the 2 posts above are 100% correct and totally agree with. Great comments guys

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

7 or 8 new players who will increase quality and competition for places

We signed 7 players last summer and spent a sizeable sum in the process. Yet it hasn't really improved competition as the team is still very heavily reliant on the players that were here last season. We need players who are going to improve the first team and going to be played in their best positions. Of our summer signings Rodwell, Armstrong, Brereton, Reed and Palmer have all in the main been played in a position that isn't their best one. 

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

The same Mark Hughes that couldn't organised a defence at Southampton and Stoke whilst spending millions after millions. seem to forget that

4 full seasons at Stoke he finished 9th, 9th, 9th and 13th. Stoke were a lot better of with him than they have been since he left. Also you say he spent millions but you negate to say that in his last window there Stoke made a net profit. He kept Southampton up last season against the odds and was harshly sacked in my opinion. Also you obviously forget how well organised we were defensively when Hughes was here, a far cry from how we are set up now. I hope that you are not trying to compare Mowbray with Hughes as the two aren't even in the same league. 

More contradictions from you though Chaddy as a few months ago you were saying the following about Hughes.

On ‎25‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 19:32, chaddyrovers said:

I basing my opinion on the qualities Hughes has proved time after time. 

On ‎23‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 16:34, chaddyrovers said:

Hughes's positives his experience, knowledge, tactical awareness. 

Southampton have had far too short term managers and they need a long term approach. Im confident Hughes will have them top 10. 

On ‎23‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 14:05, chaddyrovers said:

i can understand some Saints fans being nervous and concern but IMO they need to back Hughes. Hes experience, knows the league and IMO Southampton need to look long term and stick with him

On ‎21‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 23:21, chaddyrovers said:

Southampton would you crazy to sack Hughes. Good manager whonis tactical spot on. Went 4-4-2 yesterday and created the best chances. Armstrong and Gabiadinni missed great chances. 

• Like 9

3 hours ago, scotchrover said:

I’m sorry, but this is embarrassing. I have absolutely no words. When you consider the utter shite state that recently promoted clubs are in compared us, I have absolutely no words. When you consider the the utter shite state that we were in when Mowbray took over, this is up there with one of the worst polls I’ve ever seen on here. 

In the small world of brfcs, known for it's critical stance on most Rovers issues, just a very small % of the small number of mb members who have voted actually want Mowbray sacked now.

If anything the poll endorses Mowbray.

But at least you do preserve our God given right to moan about anything and everything.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tomphil said:

Aye Mark Hughes..

The same one who played here and helped us to promotion to the Prem then helped us win a league cup and stay up, the same one who came back to us as his first full time managerial appointment and kept us up again after sorting Souness mess then delivered a host of great players out of thin air for not much money which led us to some high placed finishes and trips around Europe.  The Mark Hughes who left everyone gutted when he took Citys filthy money and the one who since he left the club has never been quite the same.

Perish the thought we should covet such a return when he suddenly finds himself out of work and we are owned by rich people we allegedly have ambition to return this club to the big time !

Then again I suppose we aren't allowed to dream and hope if we don't get 25k+ every week (well when we are doing really well) ... ?

The same Mark Hughes who has been a bust pretty much anywhere else, much like most if his players who thought the grass was greener too.  He did awesome here but it's been about it.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/17441542.no-worries-for-mowbray-despite-stretched-rovers-squad/

His comments on the recent run of defeats sum up his complacency. Apparently the Brentford game showed just what a good team we can be for 70 mins ?

And don't judge him on the 1st half v boro

Only judge him on the good games?

Kean-esque. 

?

Edited by blueboy3333

It’s absolutely impossible to have any rational conversation with some folk on here.

Mowbray got us promoted from L1. With the biggest budget in the division. The only real test of Mowbray’s ambition was in the last two games.

The next test of his ambition has been when we were 3 points off the play-offs with the January window open.

He has recruited very badly but has used the loan market with some success. Sadly the ‘big one’ he got wrong.

His tactics and substitutions leave a lot to be desired but that is just how he is. He believes in giving the players the responsibility but he will also blame them when it goes wrong. It’s one way of doing it. When it goes well, ot looks like great team spirit. When it goes badly they can look like strangers.

We’ve had two very bad spells, preceded by back to back humblings against local rivals. There has been no pride about is this season. Except maybe the second half 10 men who finally showed up on Sunday.

As fans we’d have expected safety to be the target and then push on for a late attempt at a play-off spot. Or just go out and finish as high in the table as we can. Instead it seems like it’s get ourselves nearly safe and then start planning the end of season team party andbookimg your family holidays. The final third of this season could leave a very bad taste indeed.

The Summer recruitment would then need to be particularly inspiring to convince people that Mowbray hasn’t hit the comfort zone and wants promotion. (And throw in another season ticket price hike - disguised patronisingly as an early bird offer which is still £50 more than you paid last year).

It was a damned sight closer though with three points off sixth, an open transfer window and money to spend than it will be starting at zero with another three ex-PL teams involved. But of course we were keeping our powder dry - which is the same rhetoric we heard from countless managers before him, and another reason to be sceptical of Rovers having changed. The only difference the we wasted £7m on a dud.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/17441542.no-worries-for-mowbray-despite-stretched-rovers-squad/

His comments on the recent run of defeats sum up his complacency. Apparently the Brentford game showed just what a good team we can be for 70 mins ?

And don't judge him on the 1st half v boro

Only judge him on the good games?

Kean-esque. 

?

Jesus wept that is a very concerning interview. As you say, hide the name and that could have come out of the trap of Keane or Coyle.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!
  • Like 1

So how do the ones that feel we had sufficient CB options in January feel knowing we now have 2 'centre halves' to choose from for the next couple of games? 

Pathetic decision to allow Downing out with no replacement. Another couple of defeats on the spin and it could ultimately be the decision that either:

A) costs TM the funds he needs in the summer (what owners are gonna fork out millions for a team that finishes 18/19th and spent 12 million in summer?)

or

b) his job, the Venky's, or probably more so Suhail, aren't known for rational thinking and patience. We need promotion and they demand it. 4/5 year plans will not work for them and like under Bowyer they'll cash in every available asset we have if it looks like we're stagnating. 

Just now, Mellor Rover said:

Venky's, or probably more so Suhail, aren't known for rational thinking and patience. We need promotion and they demand it. 4/5 year plans will not work for them and like under Bowyer they'll cash in every available asset we have if it looks like we're stagnating. 

That's the fear alright.

• Like 1

Just now, 47er said:

That's the fear alright.

I get the feeling that's the only reason they're being willing to spend. Someone has told them the assets we currently have available if they need to balance the books. Lenihan, Raya and Nyambe and Travis were all free and would command roughly 12-14 million between them in todays market, Dack obviously commands a similar fee alone, a profit should be made on Armstrong, they hoped Brereton would turn out to be one for profit etc... 

10 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

Positives:     

We've got enough points to stay up.

The team spirit and general harmony around the club. 

Home form

Negatives:

Shocking defence that costs us points most weeks. 

Mowbray's complacent  attitude to defence that costs us points most weeks.

Poor recruitment in general.

Poor quality of football with emphasis on inability to pass the ball. 

Away form

Constantly playing people out of position. 

He deserves the summer and the early part of next season as a reward for turning the club around. Unfortunately I can't say I have much faith in him taking us any further. The football is poor, the defence is worse and the recruitment is generally shit. His attitude is very complacent and he lacks a winners mentality IMO. 

Negatives:

Inabiity to score at Ewood in the first half.

9 hours ago, Lie_still_Rover said:

Let's sack him them eh? 

Forget the project any momentum, any affinity etc. 

Bomb him out and gamble... 

Aston Villa, Stoke, Forest have all spent a fortune over the past few seasons and are struggling. 

Mowbray and Rovers relative to them have been a revelation. 

You're entitled to your opinion, as am I.. 

I recall people wanting Big Sam sacked.. Then we got Kean.. 

If that's not a cautionary tale I don't know what is.. 

Mowbray is the only good appointment out of fuck knows low many and you want to roll the dice when we're midtable championship on our guest season bank..

Madness.. 

Only 4% said that. What are you ranting about?