BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Mowbray’s Future

• Backroom
41 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

First 20 minutes ‘unnaceptable’ - TM’s words before one of his apologists attack me. After arguably the worst half of TM’s reign and 4 defeats on the bounce, how on earth were they not fired up from the traps today? Very concerning.

We rarely if ever come out fired up. I don't know why it always takes a half time team talk before our team wakes up. It's been the same since day one, Mowbray simply cannot prepare or motivate the team to be up for it from the first whistle. Our only hope is that the opposition are similarly blasé or overcautious and we cancel each other out (which leads to the all familiar 0-0 HT scoreline at Ewood). It's really weird that we only seem to be able to play properly for 45 minutes at a time. You can't even put that down to fitness as it's usually the second half where we're better, not the first.

33 minutes ago, Pedro said:

He is in the fact we have similar results with far worse players. We massively underachieved with Bowyer's squad. 

That's a bit disingenuous. We finished 8th and 9th in Bowyer's first full seasons, we aren't going to get anywhere close to that under Mowbray this season. We're looking at 18th or 19th which is lower than Bowyer even when he was sacked (we were 16th at the time, with a significantly worse team than Mowbray currently has). 

Just now, DE. said:

We rarely if ever come out fired up. I don't know why it always takes a half time team talk before our team wakes up. It's been the same since day one, Mowbray simply cannot prepare or motivate the team to be up for it from the first whistle. Our only hope is that the opposition are similarly blasé or overcautious and we cancel each other out (which leads to the all familiar 0-0 HT scoreline at Ewood). It's really weird that we only seem to be able to play properly for 45 minutes at a time. You can't even put that down to fitness as it's usually the second half where we're better, not the first.

That's a bit disingenuous. We finished 8th and 9th in Bowyer's first full seasons, we aren't going to get anywhere close to that under Mowbray this season. We're looking st 18th or 19th which is lower than Bowyer even when he was sacked (we were 16th at the time, with a significantly worse team than Mowbray currently has). 

Bowyer should have got play offs ....a very poor manager !!

• Backroom
Just now, Waggy76 said:

Bowyer should have got play offs ....a very poor manager !!

If he was a very poor manager we would have been in relegation trouble. He was if anything distinctly average, not good enough to get us into the playoffs but not bad enough to take us into serious trouble. If you take his lack of experience into account and the lack of support he had above him I think it's really harsh to shit all over his tenure. His best wasn't ultimately good enough but it could have been a hell of a lot worse. One thing I have noticed is that Mowbray gets cut a lot more slack than GB.  

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, DE. said:

If he was a very poor manager we would have been in relegation trouble. He was if anything distinctly average, not good enough to get us into the playoffs but not bad enough to take us into serious trouble. If you take his lack of experience into account and the lack of support he had above him I think it's really harsh to shit all over his tenure. His best wasn't ultimately good enough but it could have been a hell of a lot worse. One thing I have noticed is that Mowbray gets cut a lot more slack than GB.  

Mowbray got us promoted , if Bowyer was here last season we would treading water in the 3rd division...

Mowbray is not perfect but Bowyer should never have got more than end of season after Berg was sacked !!!

• Like 1

• Backroom
1 minute ago, Waggy76 said:

He got sacked !!!!

In a position only a couple of places lower than we are right now. I wanted Bowyer to leave by the end, but getting promoted out of League 1 doesn't make Mowbray better than Bowyer. We were never in L1 to begin with under GB and even when he was sacked we weren't in the relegation zone, we were 16th. 

I wouldn't say Mowbray has done anything yet to prove himself a better manager than Bowyer for Rovers. The only way he'll do that is by getting us into the playoffs. He's spent £7m on one striker and has the likes of Dack, Graham and Mulgrew on hand. He's not exactly working in poverty.

I think  , the chances of Rovers getting into the Play Offs are none existent ..Unless the owners  go out and get the right manager in ...Kean ,Berg ,Appleton , Bowyer , Lambert , Coyle and Mowbray ... Worrying !

Bowyer had the best squad of players by a long long way ...

• Like 1

Another example of Tony saying one thing but doing another today. Before the Reading game he said 'If we get to a situation, through injuries, where we have to play some of the youngsters then I'm more than happy to do that'. 

Yet today rather than put a young defender on the bench we ended up with no defenders on the bench. With Armstrong and Rothwell on the bench did we really need a 33 year old Conway on there (who shouldn't be here next season).

11 minutes ago, Waggy76 said:

He got sacked !!!!

And Mowbray will be sacked one day as well, that is the nature of football. My point was that we may not have gone down in the first place under Bowyer as unlike Mowbray when he first came in he was able to keep the club up.

Just now, Waggy76 said:

I think  , the chances of Rovers getting into the Play Offs are none existent ..Unless the owners  go out and get the right manager in ...Kean ,Berg ,Appleton , Bowyer , Lambert , Coyle and Mowbray ... Worrying !

Bowyer had the best squad of players by a long long way ...

Lets not forget Bowyer got to bring in 25 plus players too into Ewood ..even I would get three decent players out of that many !

W1 D1 L 1..GB 

• Like 1

"You expect to win the game from there. It’s like the elephant in the room, it’s not the first time it’s happened where we’ve thrown away points from a winning position, Elland Road being the prime example of that" - Mowbray

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/17455065.birmingham-city-2-blackburn-rovers-2-tony-mowbray-reaction/

The other day he wasn't bothered about conceding late goals. The man's an idiot. 

23 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I said if we sign a keeper, I don't want a benchwarmer. I dont want Frank Fielding either. I want a quality keeper to come straight into the team. Maybe even loan Raya out.

Yes, Bauer. I think its a massive assumption to presume hes 100% going to join, but my comment was not about him as an individual. It was that we need more than one signing to fix a tragic flaw in our team. 

No we want to keeper to challenge Raya. Fielding would be good choice. 

I think Bauer will come in. I think its done deal tbh. Similar to the Rothwell deal this summer

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

No we want to keeper to challenge Raya. Fielding would be good choice. 

I think Bauer will come in. I think its done deal tbh. Similar to the Rothwell deal this summer

Wonder if he will rot away on the bench like Rothwell too?

Like I said, and as the stats prove that you didnt refer to at all. Our defensive record is embarrassing, and will potentially surpass the pathetic one under Coyle. We need a total re-think and revamp.

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Wonder if he will rot away on the bench like Rothwell too?

Like I said, and as the stats prove that you didnt refer to at all. Our defensive record is embarrassing, and will potentially surpass the pathetic one under Coyle. We need a total re-think and revamp.

Why do I need to refer to them? 

3 hours ago, DE. said:

That's a bit disingenuous. We finished 8th and 9th in Bowyer's first full seasons, we aren't going to get anywhere close to that under Mowbray this season. We're looking at 18th or 19th which is lower than Bowyer even when he was sacked (we were 16th at the time, with a significantly worse team than Mowbray currently has). 

Rhodes, Gestede, Dann, Duffy, Robinson, Hanley, Olsson, King, Cairney would walk into this team...plus the ones I can't remember.

• Backroom
8 minutes ago, Pedro said:

Rhodes, Gestede, Dann, Duffy, Robinson, Hanley, Olsson, King, Cairney would walk into this team...plus the ones I can't remember.

Yep, all except Rhodes sold by the time he was sacked though, with practically no reinvestment due to the transfer embargo. 

Bowyer obviously had a good squad at his disposal, but ultimately he was a reserve team manager thrown in at the deep end. We're lucky he was somewhat competent or even with that team we could have ended up in League 1 a lot sooner than we were. Steve Kean nearly relegated a team with the likes of Nelsen, Samba, Jermaine Jones, Santa Cruz, Dunn, etc. A team who had finished 10th only a season earlier. That's a very poor manager - and Bowyer wasn't that. He just wasn't good enough for what we needed either.

• Like 2

Here’s a stat for you.

We’ve scored 2+ goals on 13 occassions including the cups this season. 

We’ve failed to win 9 of those 13 matches. You can’t keep needing 3 goals to win a game of football unless you’re Barcelona.

Some thoughts. 

A Charlton supporting work colleague says Bauer is brilliant and would be very sorry to let him go. Described as a beast of a defender. Good move if it comes off imo. 

Interesting stats from Mellitus Rovers - as others have stated we don't keep the ball well preventing the if they don't have the ball they can't score scenario. I also don't think we create many chances but both of these things are just my impressions from games seen/heard rather than statistical analysis. Not saying our defence is good but I do think our lack of ball retention, creativity, flair and chances all plays a big part in our poor defensive record too. I can't see teams having to worry too much about many of our players going forward, hence they have more chance to work on their offense. 

Compared to the first half of the season the vibe and atmosphere in the team seems really very different - not just results wise (though can't have helped.) Our never say die attitude seems to have gone and again I wonder if this is as big contributor to our poor defending too. 

Cheery post but basically I feel our bad defending is down to more than basics of defending.