Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Butty

Mowbray’s Future

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, Tom said:

I think he's got a massive challenge to keep us up and wouldn't expect anyone to pull it off as such.

The squad is as unfit as I've ever seen them, even if we get a new manager bounce we'll come unstuck due to that.

Hope he gets a decent crack at next season but hope more for a miracle this one. In reality on paper he's no worse than Adkins and not all that much different to Lambert.

Yet we've never really been battered in a game since about August.  Our defeats have been the result of shocking defending and poor individual mistakes (at the risk of sounding like Coyle).  We rarely get absolutely outplayed and in recent weeks have stood toe to toe with sides like Leeds and Sheff Wed and should have taken at least a point in both.

Mowbray's job for the next 15 games is to win clean sheets.   That's the base of any side in a relegation battle - Look at someone like Allardyce or Pulis - their first job is to win clean sheets and then take your opportunities as they come at the other end.   We've got players who are capable of scoring goals so that's a great start that many, many relegation threatened sides don't have.

I feel like a lot hinges on tomorrow - defeat and all of a sudden Burton are 9 points ahead of us and that almost feels like another that we've let free from the pack.   A win means it's absolutely all to play for with Wigan just around the corner.

I can't imagine anyone on this message board sat at home on Tuesday night and singled out Mowbray as their first choice, but the more it sinks in and the more the initial shock wears off, the slightly more confident I become that he can just scramble enough points to keep us up this season.   It's all we as fans can focus on for now - next season will have it's own obstacles; let's just hope it's in the bloody Championship!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Athlete said:

You answered your own question.. Senior has control of who comes in and out not Mowbray hence if he keeps us up or not the problems will come 

Wish we were a normal club 

But let's hope we stay up worry about later in the summer 

Senior is director of football and in the end got rid of Coyle..like I said he would from the minute it was announced that Senior was DoF. Said we would appoint head coach not a manager. And we have.

For this structure to work both Director of Football and Head coach have to work together to bring in the players we need and in the style of play we will under the Head Coach. From listening to Mowbray's interview last night he wants us to play attacking passing football and be organised and good positional with and without the ball. So Senior and Mowbray must work to bring in players to fit this style of play. Will be easier to bring this in during pre season and that when I expect we see a proper change of style. At least he wants to give the team a identity and style cos under Coyle it was just go out there and play. No more in most games. 

But for the next 15 games its about wins and nothing more

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, 1arC said:

Mr Widdecombe probably, but I think he is in the minority. I bet he doesn't state that he gets 500 letters each day supporting him about it.

He needs to take a trip to "the village"  (͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

It does seem odd that he's made such incredibly perceptive comments and basically hit the nail squarely on the head when presumably he can hardly have seen us play.

I presume he knew he was getting the job before the Man Ure game. You wonder if his comments are based solely on what he saw during that 90 minutes or on the basis of some input from Lowe and Dunn because based solely on that game I'd be sat there rubbing my hands thinking everything was hunky dory.

I hope as soon as he was offered the job he got down to watching most of our games on the clubs dvd.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, 1arC said:

Mr Widdecombe probably, but I think he is in the minority. I bet he doesn't state that he gets 500 letters each day supporting him about it.

A minority of zero excluding cats

Edited by AllRoverAsia

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Paul said:

Had another look and yes Coventry apart from initially avoiding relegation was not a success. 

My own feeling is I don't care who comes so long as we get the new manager bounce. I'll worry about next season in August. 

8th last season was certainly a success.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, RV Blue said:

8th last season was certainly a success.

He won 4 of the last 5 league games at Coventry last year. What would we give for that return right now?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Senior is director of football and in the end got rid of Coyle..like I said he would from the minute it was announced that Senior was DoF. Said we would appoint head coach not a manager. And we have.

For this structure to work both Director of Football and Head coach have to work together to bring in the players we need and in the style of play we will under the Head Coach. From listening to Mowbray's interview last night he wants us to play attacking passing football and be organised and good positional with and without the ball. So Senior and Mowbray must work to bring in players to fit this style of play. Will be easier to bring this in during pre season and that when I expect we see a proper change of style. At least he wants to give the team a identity and style cos under Coyle it was just go out there and play. No more in most games. 

But for the next 15 games its about wins and nothing more

The next 15 games is about wins 

I'm not underwhelmed by  Mowbray think he's a good shout but would of been much happier if he was manager not head coach 

Head coaches rarely work in England 

Managers manage coaches coach 

 

Don't trust senior one bit doesn't seem to have a good name in the industry 

Senior's interview didn't do him no favours either... 

But hey senior is just another symptom of the venky disease 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, 1arC said:

He won 4 of the last 5 league games at Coventry last year. What would we give for that return right now?

Won at Crawley to just keep em up.. Remember thinking how far Coventry had fallen going into that needing a win no disrespect to Crawley 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Athlete said:

The only thing which will happen to is more cost cutting and senior getting his percentage 

Head coaches rarely work or last long in this country as you need a manager someone in full control including transfers 

This would be my worry too---a disconnect between Senior and Mowbray over signings in summer. Of course that assumes a)Mowbray lasts till summer, the Club lasts till summer and c) whether we actually make any signings.

If Senior was any use he would have tried harder to sign up Mahoney as Coyle apparently wanted.

I do feel a bit more optimistic about Mowbray. He wouldn't have been my choice but he has more and better experience than any of the other 6 managers other than Lambert and Rovers may have sounded others out who refused the job for all I know. A steady hand I'd call him. 

I always felt we were going down this season so anything else is a bonus but the plans for next season mean we will struggle again anyway.

In short, we will never prosper under Venkys and who the manager is, who is administrative head, who decides transfer etc are all part of the side-show.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hopefully things might change with the Mahoney situation he might not have fancied working with coyle, heard a whisper he hates doughnuts and is not very good at table tennis. Lets hope he stays now with a new manager .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I imagine the issue with Mahoney won't be who the manager is. It will be the nature of the contract offered to him and how much the club really wants to keep him.

If recent departures such as Duffy and Marshall are anything to go by, with players being messed about, painted as the problem, not offered new deals, or offered new deals on poor terms, then he'll be going.

If they get a sniff that they might get a few bob in compensation at the end of this season if someone else signs him then it will be game over.

Edited by JHRover

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We needed to keep Cairney, Gestede, Rhodes, Hanley and Duffy yet they were quite happy to see the lot of them off despite the massive impact it was always likely to have on the squad. The outcome is likely to be relegation this season.

In particular selling both Hanley and Duffy last summer. Absolute madness to follow a policy of selling both your regular centre halves who had done a good job for the club with no back up around. If they were prepared to do something so dangerous to the squad, they'll have no qualms letting a youngster with half a dozen first team games go if the money is there.

So whilst I understand that keeping Mahoney is a good idea for most of us, for these people it will come down to cash and whether they can be bothered to offer him a new deal. They've shown that things like the players preference and impact upon the squad and fanbase is irrelevant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Senior is director of football and in the end got rid of Coyle..like I said he would from the minute it was announced that Senior was DoF. Said we would appoint head coach not a manager. And we have.

F

 

Stop trying to crow Chaddy. Anyone with half an eye could see Senior wanted Coyle out and a 'yes man' to work under him as a coach from as soon as he arrived..  You also said you expected a foreign coach to come in.

Edited by Hasta

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JHRover said:

We needed to keep Cairney, Gestede, Rhodes, Hanley and Duffy yet they were quite happy to see the lot of them off despite the massive impact it was always likely to have on the squad. The outcome is likely to be relegation this season.

In particular selling both Hanley and Duffy last summer. Absolute madness to follow a policy of selling both your regular centre halves who had done a good job for the club with no back up around.

A good majority of posters on this site were quite happy to see some of those players sold 'for the good of the team' as well JH.

It doesn't take a rocket scientists to know if you sell your best players and replace them with the cr@p you'll be in the mire, yet plenty on here didn't see this coming!

I really don't think Mowbray can keep us up, the sides full of rubbish, but time will tell.

 

Edited by Gav

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Gav said:

A good majority of posters on this site were quite happy to see some of those players sold 'for the good of the team' as well JH.

It doesn't take a rocket scientists to know if you sell your best players and replace them with the cr@p you'll be in the mire, yet plenty on here didn't see this coming!

I really don't think Mowbray can keep us up, the sides full of rubbish, but time will tell.

 

Gav your 100 % right sell your best players replace em with dross isn't for the good of the team.. Yet some posters think that way 

With regards to Mowbray I think he's in with a shout as under Coyle we were only going one way.. What maybe is  against him is he hasn't brought in anyone of of his own  to help him he's been given Dunn and Lowe whom until yesterday he'd never met.. I'd of definitely had one who knew the club but two ?

Also the head coach scenario under Senior.. In effect Mowbray is the team coach not manager 

And obviously with the big game tomorrow time isn't on his side to avaluate the squad 

Timing has been wrong but that's venkys all over 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Hasta said:

 

Stop trying to crow Chaddy. Anyone with half an eye could see Senior wanted Coyle out and a 'yes man' to work under him as a coach from as soon as he arrived..  You also said you expected a foreign coach to come in.

Yorkshire, Chaddy nailed it

:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing i will say about Tony Mowbray after watching his interview on Rovers Player is that he comes across as an incredibly genuine, honest, hard working man. I will admit after the first interview he sounds like the second most likeable manager we have ever had (Bowyer of course being number 1). I am hoping to god he is successful as he does look like he knows what he is doing. Unlike Appleton, Kean, Coyle, Berg, and so forth. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mowbray seems a decent bloke. Some of the Cov fans weren't happy with him but they don't have any ill will towards him. One Coventry fan tweeted me yesterday and said he will play football in areas you didn't think football could be played and I don't think he meant it as a compliment. 6/10 appointment for me.

 I'm happier now than I was 48 hours ago but tomorrow's game will dictate his tenure. If he wins he will be a hero, lose and it will be a disaster. It really has come to that. Modern football.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Jimmy612 said:

Yet we've never really been battered in a game since about August.  Our defeats have been the result of shocking defending and poor individual mistakes (at the risk of sounding like Coyle).  We rarely get absolutely outplayed and in recent weeks have stood toe to toe with sides like Leeds and Sheff Wed and should have taken at least a point in both.

Mowbray's job for the next 15 games is to win clean sheets.   That's the base of any side in a relegation battle - Look at someone like Allardyce or Pulis - their first job is to win clean sheets and then take your opportunities as they come at the other end.   We've got players who are capable of scoring goals so that's a great start that many, many relegation threatened sides don't have.

I feel like a lot hinges on tomorrow - defeat and all of a sudden Burton are 9 points ahead of us and that almost feels like another that we've let free from the pack.   A win means it's absolutely all to play for with Wigan just around the corner.

I can't imagine anyone on this message board sat at home on Tuesday night and singled out Mowbray as their first choice, but the more it sinks in and the more the initial shock wears off, the slightly more confident I become that he can just scramble enough points to keep us up this season.   It's all we as fans can focus on for now - next season will have it's own obstacles; let's just hope it's in the bloody Championship!

You're completely right about keeping clean sheets being the be all and end all, no matter where the clamour for attractive football has come from in the past. We kept two clean sheets against Newcastle, - result -6 points. The double against the best side in this league. You only need to score one goal in that scenario and most teams concede at least one in a game. That should tell us everything we need to know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Howard Kendall philosophy: keep a clean sheet in every game. That led to a 15 game unbeaten run and promotion (14 wins was it?), punctuated by a draw with Exeter City and ended with a defeat by Exeter City. :brfc:

Edited by MCMC1875

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, roverstdt said:

One thing i will say about Tony Mowbray after watching his interview on Rovers Player is that he comes across as an incredibly genuine, honest, hard working man. I will admit after the first interview he sounds like the second most likeable manager we have ever had (Bowyer of course being number 1). I am hoping to god he is successful as he does look like he knows what he is doing. Unlike Appleton, Kean, Coyle, Berg, and so forth. 

A man with a plan. But, I've still grave reservations about the lack of ability in this shambles of a squad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.