BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Mowbray’s Future

• Moderation Lead

It's difficult for them to score when they don't cross the half way line tbh....

Completely agree though that it's an issue (goals in the side). Bar the tri-fecta of Dack, Graham and Mulgrew, maybe Armstrong at a push, nobody else is really pulling their weight in the goal scoring stakes. You can never have too many of them!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, JHRover said:

You would think that purely by law of averages sooner or later in a season people like Smallwood and Evans would grab a couple of goals. Even if it's off their backside from a corner or a ridiculous deflection. If you're one of XI on the pitch 46 games a season I would expect every player bar the GK to score at some stage or other, even if it is just once by fluke. That we've numerous midfielders, some who claim to be attack minded (Bennett, Rothwell) and yet all have a big 0 next to them in March suggests a big problem for me.

As you say, it has been going on for a long time now. When we go back to the Lowe/Williamson Axis with about 3 goals between them in 5 years.

Bennett has played a large chunk of the season at full back. Rothwell has only started 5 games. Smallwood and evans don't go anywhere near the opposition box and I wouldn't trust them to shoot from outside the box. 

3 hours ago, BlackburnEnd75 said:

Bennett has played a large chunk of the season at full back. Rothwell has only started 5 games. Smallwood and evans don't go anywhere near the opposition box and I wouldn't trust them to shoot from outside the box. 

Yet Smallwood, Rothwell and Bennett religiously take part in the pre match shooting drill. ?

Interesting points on Mulgrew... however many of the games he played also didnt feature Nyambe at RB nor Darragh at CB and had Smallwood in midfield and Bennett at RB.

If we could have lined up with the below all season (when fit and available) I think we would be in a playoff race... regardless of other failings.

Raya

Nyambe-Lenihan-Mulgrew-Bell

Travis  -   Reed

Bennett         Dack        Armstrong 

Graham

Personally I would only play Bennett as a cm rotation and would rather have seen Rothwell and Kasey Palmer given more game time (now I'd include Brereton and Chapman), and i think would be starting and tearing it up in one of the wing positions. Rothwell, for someone with such a horrid injury history, it is ironic he will probably have been fit to play all season and never really used.

Edited by Angry_Pirate

2 hours ago, Angry_Pirate said:

Yet Smallwood, Rothwell and Bennett religiously take part in the pre match shooting drill. ?

Interesting points on Mulgrew... however many of the games he played also didnt feature Nyambe at RB nor Darragh at CB and had Smallwood in midfield and Bennett at RB.

If we could have lined up with the below all season (when fit and available) I think we would be in a playoff race... regardless of other failings.

Raya

Nyambe-Lenihan-Mulgrew-Bell

Travis  -   Reed

Bennett         Dack        Armstrong 

Graham

Personally I would only play Bennett as a cm rotation and would rather have seen Rothwell and Kasey Palmer given more game time (now I'd include Brereton and Chapman), and i think would be starting and tearing it up in one of the wing positions. Rothwell, for someone with such a horrid injury history, it is ironic he will probably have been fit to play all season and never really used.

The lay offs Lowe gives the players in these drills appears to nullify the object of the exercise. Recipient has to chase after it, bring it under control and work back to create an angle. Thought the idea was to hit the ball early. Yet the coach in my grandson's under ten side appears to have no problem with this drill.

1 hour ago, The Axe said:

The lay offs Lowe gives the players in these drills appears to nullify the object of the exercise. Recipient has to chase after it, bring it under control and work back to create an angle. Thought the idea was to hit the ball early. Yet the coach in my grandson's under ten side appears to have no problem with this drill.

I've been noticing this for sometime now, and in fairness probably even long before Mowbrays reign. Being a Riversider I sometimes watch both warm ups, and the intensity of the opposition is 95% of the time way up on that of the Rovers players. The likes of Norwich and Leeds was probably about to the level we play during a game (when playing well).

1 hour ago, Songman said:

I've been noticing this for sometime now, and in fairness probably even long before Mowbrays reign. Being a Riversider I sometimes watch both warm ups, and the intensity of the opposition is 95% of the time way up on that of the Rovers players. The likes of Norwich and Leeds was probably about to the level we play during a game (when playing well).

I think it would be a good idea to have warm up bikes like they do at rugby 

1 hour ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Have you seen Smallwood and Evans shoot? Cows arse with a banjo comes to mind, both terrible at it. As well as creative passes. Niggly tempo stoppers is all they are 

Yes we are bereft of technical ability.  Rothwell, Dack , Travis, Reed, Conway but hes too old and that's it really ...

Enough. Time to go. I have no ill feelings to him and he definitely has been better than the last few, but it is beyond clear he cannot go any further.

In the interviews he has made it abundantly clear that he is unwilling to bring significant changes to the squad. He is too loyal/stubborn and doesnt recognize just how much the defence especially needs changing. We are doomed if we dont get him out and bring someone else in to reacess the squad in the remaining games and overhaul the team in the summer. I am completely convinced of that now.

TM must go. Now.

Edited by Mr. E

Well we know this season overall was about consolidation and finding our feet again in this division although we were only out of it ONE season, also blooding some more youngsters and more experience for others and our numerous league 1 ers.

However a chance of a decent season has been totally blown and he has to shoulder half the blame no doubts about it. Forget about play offs i'm just talking about a positive season the kind that gives fans and players hope for next and the kind that keeps your decent players and helps you attract others.

Sorry but injuries aside everything we've seen so far since the window doesn't bode very well at all from team or manager less of course the odd glimpse of fighting spirit from a few. We are set to head down a rocky road again and there really was no need for it !

• Like 2

Just now, Don Said said:

BRING BACK SPARKY.

If only that was in any small way true. I like Mowbray but defensively it’s shocking. Can’t think when it’s been worse. Although to be fair I’m not really trying I’ve become desensitised to heavy away defeat. Positive I didn’t go

• Moderation Lead

Nice bloke but my God, we are shocking at defending. Embarrassing really.

Frightening to think that he actually used to be a defender himself, as a player, but can’t organise a defence as manager.

If anyone can put an argument forward as to why we shouldn’t be looking at a new manager first and foremost this summer i’d LOVE to hear it.

Pathetic.

Mowbray Out.

Just now, K-Hod said:

Nice bloke but my God, we are shocking at defending. Embarrassing really.

Frightening to think that he actually used to be a defender himself, as a player, but can’t organise a defence as manager.

Is there not a book he could read just to brush up on the bits he’s forgot. Or if he can’t be bothered reading it get our defenders to do it. Set it has homework or something along those lines. Sort of on the job training, nothing official.

Its only a thought because nothing else seems to be working

• Like 1

Just now, J*B said:

He might just end up walking here you know.

Honestly can’t see it.

What is most damning about his tenure is that if he was to walk away now then he has left us in a right mess. It’s only because he is still here that the cracks are papered.

“Trust Mowbray” is a bit of a noose around his neck.