BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Mowbray’s Future

Just now, Exiled in Toronto said:

Haven’t the last seven years taught you anything about what’s wrong with our club? You post 50 times a day moaning about Mowbray as though he is the only issue in an otherwise well-run, normal club.

Mowbray, a washed-up bloke on the dole nearing retirement age, was getting calls from people in the game saying he was mad to come here. The one time we got an actual current manager he walked. The one time we seemed likely to get an actual current successful manager, someone, we know not who, nixed it and parachuted in Coyle. 

Mowbray will get fired when it suits the agenda of whoever decides these things, which will have nothing to do with what the fans think or want, nor how our results are going.

I'll remind you of this post when you next blame the players instead Of Mowbray  - which you do constantly.  

7 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

I'll remind you of this post when you next blame the players instead Of Mowbray  - which you do constantly.  

I blame Williams for the first goal. I blame Mowbray for keep picking him. I blame whoever runs our club for precluding all our managers from spending money on good, experienced defenders,  because they think there’s less money to be made than on young, English attackers.

16 hours ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

Haven’t the last seven years taught you anything about what’s wrong with our club? You post 50 times a day moaning about Mowbray as though he is the only issue in an otherwise well-run, normal club.

Mowbray, a washed-up bloke on the dole nearing retirement age, was getting calls from people in the game saying he was mad to come here. The one time we got an actual current manager he walked. The one time we seemed likely to get an actual current successful manager, someone, we know not who, nixed it and parachuted in Coyle. 

Mowbray will get fired when it suits the agenda of whoever decides these things, which will have nothing to do with what the fans think or want, nor how our results are going.

By "actual current manager" I take it you mean Lambert. I'm pretty sure that like Mowbray he was not a "current manager" but out of work when we appiinted him.

Talk of Hughes is interesting. I have no idea about whether he still has "it" but what he would do, like when he took over from Souness, would be to revise expectations for the better.

There'd be no more talk about survival or maintaining our position as there was under Souness or nonsense about slow burns and gradual improvement as there is under Mowbray.

He would set the target for success i.e. promotion as soon as possible and players wouldn't be able to turn up at half time or reach relative safety and clock off for the rest of the season.

Whether he can achieve his targets these days obviously would be a bit of a gamble. Would take him over Mowbray though.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

By "actual current manager" I take it you mean Lambert. I'm pretty sure that like Mowbray he was not a "current manager" but out of work when we appiinted him.

He certainly was on the dole, just like Coyle and Mowbray. @Exiled in Toronto was obviously too busy having a pointless dig to check his facts. Disappointing. 

I don't think Waggott's appointment has got anything to do with appeasing supporters or keeping them in the loop. It's more to do with the fact that Cheston was struggling to cope with running the operation on his own and my belief is Mowbray told the owners that additional support was essential and so recommended someone who he had worked with recently who was looking for a job. Waggott's role at the club seems to be almost entirely to try and increase revenues whilst cutting costs and I suspect that will be the sole criteria he is judged on. Clearly keeping supporters happy and buying stuff contributes towards that. Unfortunately in his 12 months or so at the club he has jacked prices of tickets up and closed another home area down, and publicly admitted falling short of his sales target. I eagerly await news of next years season ticket information but the mere fact we're already playing catch up to many Championship clubs on the sales window is just further evidence of the dysfunctional nature of the operation here. Any club or CEO so concerned about income and crowds would be moving heaven and earth to get such an important element of income on sale asap, yet no doubt when we do get news in April or May and we've missed 3 months of potential sales that rivals have enjoyed it will be a question of commitment of the fans, rather than any acceptance that Rovers' own performance is well short of what is needed.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Stuart said:

Hughes is exactly what Rovers need and I think we are what he needs too. He would certainly change the training/fitness regime. They used to play 100 minute matches in training. Knows the club inside out, Ewood and the training ground. The Venkys element would be the difficult bit as Williams dealt with the owners but I expect he could handle it. One thing’s for sure, if Hughes came in and “did a Lambert” then it would be taken more seriously.

If Mowbray was to go now, it’d be the obvious thing to give Johnson the reigns until the end of the season - certainly over Venus or Lowe.

It's amazing how quickly people forget just how good of a manager he was here and how good a fit he was for the club like Mowbray himself has been a good fit but his failings and mixed up approach to stuff on the pitch seems to have finally caught up with him again just as it did at Boro & Cov.

He was more of a busted flush than Hughes before he came here that's for sure but you only have to look at the coaching set up Hughes brings and their ethos to see it would be a step in the right direction.

• Like 5

Just now, JHRover said:

I don't think Waggott's appointment has got anything to do with appeasing supporters or keeping them in the loop. It's more to do with the fact that Cheston was struggling to cope with running the operation on his own and my belief is Mowbray told the owners that additional support was essential and so recommended someone who he had worked with recently who was looking for a job. Waggott's role at the club seems to be almost entirely to try and increase revenues whilst cutting costs and I suspect that will be the sole criteria he is judged on. Clearly keeping supporters happy and buying stuff contributes towards that. Unfortunately in his 12 months or so at the club he has jacked prices of tickets up and closed another home area down, and publicly admitted falling short of his sales target. I eagerly await news of next years season ticket information but the mere fact we're already playing catch up to many Championship clubs on the sales window is just further evidence of the dysfunctional nature of the operation here. Any club or CEO so concerned about income and crowds would be moving heaven and earth to get such an important element of income on sale asap, yet no doubt when we do get news in April or May and we've missed 3 months of potential sales that rivals have enjoyed it will be a question of commitment of the fans, rather than any acceptance that Rovers' own performance is well short of what is needed.

Can't disagree with your points but suspect that Waggott was brought in for a few reasons, one being that he has a track record of engaging with the grass roots at a club. Strangely from personal experience I have found that the club already had several people who were doing this work excellently. I suspect also that Waggott promised them he could increase attendances and this is something that may come back to haunt him. However I think that Suhail Pasha is in charge of the club, working to Mr Desai's instructions. I doubt that Pasha could have got a work permit to work as CEO but the requirements of communicator were so specific that only he could have done the job. Having Waggott as figure head allows Pasha to sail under the radar. Interestingly on the launch of the "new team" (all of whom appeared to already to be doing their jobs) Pasha was also described as Business and Management Consultant.

• Like 3

Just now, JHRover said:

It's been said numerous times that Venkys have to sign everything off even the fresh kits when they come around and all that doesn't seem to get done until their summer board meetings.  Probably similar to the budget and anything extra that might be granted for players and it always seems to be done around the same time mid summer regardless of the clubs situation, probably just before or after their summer vacation and in between religious celebrations.  Everything else especially the football club takes a back seat to all that and boy have we suffered for it time and time again in the last 8 years or so.

Of course you might be able to jump this scenario by getting on a plane for India and turning up at Madames front door for an early audience that's worked a couple of times for those prepared to do it.  Wasn't having a CEO along with the middleman supposed to cover such things ???  About time he started to earn his crust.

Although that runs a risk turning up over there if it happens to coincide with the cat not feeling well !

33 minutes ago, tomphil said:

It's amazing how quickly people forget just how good of a manager he was here and how good a fit he was for the club like Mowbray himself has been a good fit but his failings and mixed up approach to stuff on the pitch seems to have finally caught up with him again just as it did at Boro & Cov.

He was more of a busted flush than Hughes before he came here that's for sure but you only have to look at the coaching set up Hughes brings and their ethos to see it would be a step in the right direction.

Which is why The Taffia never be appointed. Venky’s have never paid for a back room setup like that, always make do and mend on that front.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

Which is why The Taffia never be appointed. Venky’s have never paid for a back room setup like that, always make do and mend on that front.

Although they made an attempt of sorts with Irvine etc, was it before Lambert ?   Where it seemed they set up the backroom staff on short term deals before appointing a manager !

Then promptly ended up paying them all off again.......

Agents work if I ever saw it.

43 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Although they made an attempt of sorts with Irvine etc, was it before Lambert ?   Where it seemed they set up the backroom staff on short term deals before appointing a manager !

Then promptly ended up paying them all off again.......

Agents work if I ever saw it.

Strange business there. They axed Bowyer and all his staff - McPhillips, Short, Grant - with Lambert, Irvine, Kelly and the GK coach all lined up and ready to come in. A very impressive array of coaches with a wealth of experience and Rovers connections too.

Then Lambert throws in the towel yet apparently the other 3 were going to stay on. Coyle gets parachuted in and has a long history of bringing with him his own mates so obvious Irvine and Kelly's days were numbered, despite the Telegraph claiming Irvine was consulted on who should be the next manager. Likewise Warnock would have brought with him Blackwell and Jepson had he ended up getting the job as he was close to doing. Then Kelly resigns to join Rosler at Fleetwood and Irvine went too conveniently creating vacancies for Coyle's pals who all had to be paid up a few months later as relegation loomed. Then Mowbray comes in and has to work with existing staff but is later able to bring in Venus.

• Like 1

On 17/03/2019 at 10:19, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Jesus Christ. I defy even Chaddy to say he’s not worried after reading that. 

I'm not worried by that. Mowbray knows what we need in the summer. Hopefully that work is ongoing right now

On 17/03/2019 at 10:27, Scotland1 said:

Could we realistically attract mark hughes?

nope!

21 hours ago, DeeCee said:

Where is he? ?

enjoying life

21 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Banned again?

nope! just enjoying time away from the messageboard. Been busy with other things and don't need to be on here every single day. I wont be coming on every single day anymore. Don't need too

22 hours ago, Stuart said:

Hughes is exactly what Rovers need and I think we are what he needs too. He would certainly change the training/fitness regime. They used to play 100 minute matches in training. Knows the club inside out, Ewood and the training ground. The Venkys element would be the difficult bit as Williams dealt with the owners but I expect he could handle it. One thing’s for sure, if Hughes came in and “did a Lambert” then it would be taken more seriously.

If Mowbray was to go now, it’d be the obvious thing to give Johnson the reigns until the end of the season - certainly over Venus or Lowe.

clearly you forget how Hughes struggle at Southampton and Stoke defensively and getting them keeping clean sheets there. 

The Hughes now is miles away from the Hughes we had. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I'm not worried by that. Mowbray knows what we need in the summer. Hopefully that work is ongoing right now

nope!

enjoying life

nope! just enjoying time away from the messageboard. Been busy with other things and don't need to be on here every single day. I wont be coming on every single day anymore. Don't need too

clearly you forget how Hughes struggle at Southampton and Stoke defensively and getting them keeping clean sheets there. 

The Hughes now is miles away from the Hughes we had. 

Whilst you are correct in suggesting that Hughes has declined massively from his spell as manager here. You staunchly defended him up until what you perceived to be an unfair sacking at Southampton so why have you suddenly changed your tune?

You say Mowbray knows what we need. Why hasnt he even tried to address what we need in the 4 windows prior? Why did he not learn from making a similar mistake of neglecting his defence in his last job? Theres a different between knowing somethings wrong and being able to fix it.

• Like 2