BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Mowbray’s Future

12 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Did fine in brief cameos but not enough to suddenly be in the first team. Indiscipline at Portsmouth a worry. Nows not the time for more untried youth.

He's not untried, he was playing well till he got sent off.

Yesterday would have suited him. At least should have been on the bench.

12 hours ago, Doug said:

Won 4, drawn 1 in last 5, top of the league.

Wigan and Shrews both won 2, lost 2, drawn 1 in last 5

I know which fans should be most worried and it not us at the moment!!

Well done TM for giving some of us a decent season, restoring a bit of pride.

Same posters will just keep moaning,  football is not an exact science, it's 22 men kicking a bag of  wind around, nothing is guaranteed!!!!

Please, enlighten me.

Wigan and Shrews have positions only they can lose, however stats are manipulated.

• Backroom

A lot being said about our defence after the Wigan match, a quick stat attack on that...

Rovers have conceded two or more goals in 8 matches this season and kept 12 clean sheets. In 36 games those stats don't seem so bad, however...

Two or more goals conceded
Rovers - 8
Wigan - 4 - this was actually just 1 match until February!
Shrewsbury - 4 - similarly to the above this was just 1 match until Jan 13th when we beat them 3-1. 

Worth noting with the above that we've played 4 games more than Wigan and 2 more than Shrewsbury, so there's still room for the above to change, particularly as both Wigan and Shrewsbury's defences have started creaking in the past two months.

Clean Sheets
Rovers - 12
Wigan - 19
Shrewsbury  -13

Again worth noting the 4 game and 2 game difference between us and Wigan/Shrewsbury respectively. It makes Wigan's CS stat in particular even more impressive.

I don't think many would have assumed we would have almost the same number of clean sheets as Shrewsbury. We were actually very solid defensively in the first few months of the season, it's only since December we've started really shipping goals. Since Dec 26th we've only had two clean sheets. Before that we had 10, so, there's definitely been a marked downturn in defensive capability - but that coincides with scoring more goals, so there does seem to have been a shift in tactics/instructions from Mowbray to give us more attacking threat at the expense of our defence. 

Results suggest that Wigan and Shrewsbury's defences are both starting to leak, though, which particularly bodes well for us in Shrewsbury's case as they don't score many. If their defence starts to falter they will inevitably fall away and might leave it between us, Wigan and Rotherham to fight it out. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, DE. said:

Results suggest that Wigan and Shrewsbury's defences are both starting to leak, though, which particularly bodes well for us in Shrewsbury's case as they don't score many. If their defence starts to falter they will inevitably fall away and might leave it between us, Wigan and Rotherham to fight it out. 

Even if Rotherham win their 2 in hand, they will still be 5 points behind us with an inferior goal difference going into the last 10 games.

That would still mean they would need to pick up 6 points more than we do from the final 30 available, i.e. 20% extra from the same number of games.

I'd suggest that would require either us to drop below the points target of 2 per game, or for them to continue to relentlessly win over their final 12 games.

That's either going to take an unprecedented run of results for Rotherham or a downturn on our part. If we maintain our course Rotherham shouldn't be a threat. If they manage to catch us or overtake us then we won't be going up automatically.

Edited by JHRover

• Backroom
6 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Even if Rotherham win their 2 in hand, they will still be 5 points behind us with an inferior goal difference going into the last 10 games.

That would still mean they would need to pick up 6 points more than we do from the final 30 available, i.e. 20% extra from the same number of games.

I'd suggest that would require either us to drop below the points target of 2 per game, or for them to continue to relentlessly win over their final 12 games.

That's either going to take an unprecedented run of results for Rotherham or a downturn on our part. If we maintain our course Rotherham shouldn't be a threat. If they manage to catch us or overtake us then we won't be going up automatically.

I agree that Rotherham have probably left it too late. A very impressive run but unless that continues until the end of the season and one of us or Wigan collapses they'll almost certainly be looking at the playoffs. 

3 hours ago, 47er said:

He's not untried, he was playing well till he got sent off.

Yesterday would have suited him. At least should have been on the bench.

Has he ever started a game aside from the checkatrade? Its different coming on for 5 or 10 minutes and doing a job and starting or featuring heavily in crucial games in a promotion run in.

Nows not the time to throw in practically untested kids.

These points are more aimed generally at the dilemma of whether Travis should be pushing for a start.

6 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Please, enlighten me.

Wigan and Shrews have positions only they can lose, however stats are manipulated.

Well it's not rocket science, we are currently the 'in form' team of the three over the last five games, not sure how those 'stats' could be manipulated.

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Rich Sharpe is right and spot on. Hasnt got anywhere near the credit he should have done. 

In Tony we trust

You need to tell Sharpe that Tony hasn't won anything yet on the back of his relegation last season.

Once we are promoted then he'll receive the plaudits but until that moment arrives....its all to play for.

• Like 1

Evidence that R Sharpe sources his stories from this board when its a slow news day - or that Gav wrote the article for him.

Glad I have so far been proved wrong...which is what i asked for after a horrendous start...there is nothing more to it than that.

I feel the comments saying Mowbray has achieved nothing yet because we haven’t confirmed promotion are taking a very one-dimensional view that the only thing wrong with the club was the division we are playing in. 

The fan base is more united than it has been since even before Venkys appeared. Lambert and Bowyer didn’t achieve that. I never read happy clappers etc etc now.

We have a united squad playing for the shirt and in tune with the fan base for the first time since Kean was here. 

We have exciting players with the potential to get better. We’ve never had so many of the u23s in or knocking on the door of the squad,

Everything is never perfect but the turnaround in the club has been remarkable IMO, and Tony Mowbray has been at the heart of it.

• Like 6

On 4/3/2018 at 19:54, JAL said:

You need to tell Sharpe that Tony hasn't won anything yet on the back of his relegation last season.

Once we are promoted then he'll receive the plaudits but until that moment arrives....its all to play for.

I will start the plaudit thread so and be awaiting your posts :) 

Going back to that article, at the end of the day a manager can be doing one of 3 things:

- Exceed expectations

- Hit expectations

- Fail to hit expectations

Carry on as we are and he will be doing the middle one, Hirst deserves the manager of the year as hes in the top category, Mowbray and Cook deserve credit for doing the second.

I know a few people are seemingly set on spreading the notion that the angry mob are constantly criticising him, but the vast majority of things I see are positive, that doesnt mean people shouldnt criticise minor things ie team selections, subs, all part of being a football fan but I feel like he gets alot of praise and backing which he deserves. Crowds home and away are healthy, and are certainly behind him. Hes not underappreciated in my opinion. Even from last year when he failed to keep us up, the fans backing throughout the summer and at the start was constant, there was a period of understandable doubt after wed lost 4 in 11 because we looked destined for more underachievement but hes turned it around.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I will start the plaudit thread so and be awaiting your posts :) 

No problem big dog got to get over the line first. How convenient was it for Nyambe to be out of the team and posters getting it right by saying Bennett would be a better choice, hats off to the posters for seeing it.

14 hours ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

I feel the comments saying Mowbray has achieved nothing yet because we haven’t confirmed promotion are taking a very one-dimensional view that the only thing wrong with the club was the division we are playing in. 

The fan base is more united than it has been since even before Venkys appeared. Lambert and Bowyer didn’t achieve that. I never read happy clappers etc etc now.

We have a united squad playing for the shirt and in tune with the fan base for the first time since Kean was here. 

We have exciting players with the potential to get better. We’ve never had so many of the u23s in or knocking on the door of the squad,

Everything is never perfect but the turnaround in the club has been remarkable IMO, and Tony Mowbray has been at the heart of it.

I think Bowyer did achieve similar levels of unity and optimism among the fanbase. Between his first summer in 2013 and when it started to unravel in the summer of 2015 I felt a closer connection to the team and club than I have at any stage since Venkys arrived, including today. I think some people are forgetful of how positive things were for a season or so under Bowyer and the team he put together. Some people are also being led by the fact that we are winning more games and are challenging for automatic promotion in contrast to the Bowyer era, although the drawback to this is we are a level below and playing Bury and Rochdale rather than Wolves and Derby.

I remember the first game of the 2014-15 season at home v Cardiff on a Friday night on Sky Sports. Gorgeous evening, optimism sky high after a summer where we kept our best players, great run at the end of the previous season, played well against just relegated Cardiff, nearly 16,000 on Ewood. We've come a long way in the almost 4 years since then, mostly for the worse, and as far as I'm concerned we are well short of where we were that night.

It is for that very reason that I don't trust them, and I'm struggling to get as much enthusiasm going as I perhaps should at this moment in time, because they've hoodwinked me before, and I'm reluctant to let them do it again. I believed they had learned and changed their ways in 2013 and then 2015-17 happened. The Bowyer sacking, Lambert fiasco, Coyle appointment, boardroom chaos - right back to where it all began when Allardyce and Williams left. It blew beliefs of lessons learned out of the water and showed that no lessons except maybe financial had been heeded from previous mistakes.

Everyone makes mistakes and every club appoints the wrong manager or suffers bad seasons from time to time. But I refuse to accept a one man board of directors, the club being run from India with a henchman doing their bidding from the shadows, and making decisions like the Coyle appointment, were in any way, shape or form normal or acceptable ways to run a club, or ever likely to result in anything other than damaging decline for this club.

We had a united squad of good young players representing the club with pride under Bowyer. These owners and their associates destroyed all that in the space of a few months by getting back on the managerial merry go round and selling anyone they could. Ironic that people are now referring to 1 defeat in 28 as evidence of a job well done for Mowbray, which it is, yet plenty of the same people were saying that 13 games unbeaten in the Championship under Bowyer was irrelevant because we drew too many and didn't reach the target of the play-offs. Can't have it both ways. Both Bowyer and Mowbray did well.

Mowbray has done a good job to date and deserves credit for some of his signings and results. But I'm afraid it is going to take more for me to trust this regime ever again after the damage they caused. They've conned me before with leaving a good man to do the job and nice signings and paying the bills and then look what happened.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, JHRover said:

I think Bowyer did achieve similar levels of unity and optimism among the fanbase. Between his first summer in 2013 and when it started to unravel in the summer of 2015 I felt a closer connection to the team and club than I have at any stage since Venkys arrived, including today. I think some people are forgetful of how positive things were for a season or so under Bowyer and the team he put together. Some people are also being led by the fact that we are winning more games and are challenging for automatic promotion in contrast to the Bowyer era, although the drawback to this is we are a level below and playing Bury and Rochdale rather than Wolves and Derby.

I remember the first game of the 2014-15 season at home v Cardiff on a Friday night on Sky Sports. Gorgeous evening, optimism sky high after a summer where we kept our best players, great run at the end of the previous season, played well against just relegated Cardiff, nearly 16,000 on Ewood. We've come a long way in the almost 4 years since then, mostly for the worse, and as far as I'm concerned we are well short of where we were that night.

It is for that very reason that I don't trust them, and I'm struggling to get as much enthusiasm going as I perhaps should at this moment in time, because they've hoodwinked me before, and I'm reluctant to let them do it again. I believed they had learned and changed their ways in 2013 and then 2015-17 happened. The Bowyer sacking, Lambert fiasco, Coyle appointment, boardroom chaos - right back to where it all began when Allardyce and Williams left. It blew beliefs of lessons learned out of the water and showed that no lessons except maybe financial had been heeded from previous mistakes.

Everyone makes mistakes and every club appoints the wrong manager or suffers bad seasons from time to time. But I refuse to accept a one man board of directors, the club being run from India with a henchman doing their bidding from the shadows, and making decisions like the Coyle appointment, were in any way, shape or form normal or acceptable ways to run a club, or ever likely to result in anything other than damaging decline for this club.

We had a united squad of good young players representing the club with pride under Bowyer. These owners and their associates destroyed all that in the space of a few months by getting back on the managerial merry go round and selling anyone they could. Ironic that people are now referring to 1 defeat in 28 as evidence of a job well done for Mowbray, which it is, yet plenty of the same people were saying that 13 games unbeaten in the Championship under Bowyer was irrelevant because we drew too many and didn't reach the target of the play-offs. Can't have it both ways. Both Bowyer and Mowbray did well.

Mowbray has done a good job to date and deserves credit for some of his signings and results. But I'm afraid it is going to take more for me to trust this regime ever again after the damage they caused. They've conned me before with leaving a good man to do the job and nice signings and paying the bills and then look what happened.

I don't know if it was just me, but I never felt like we actually challenged for promotion or even the play offs under bowyer. We had a good team and he was a decent manager, but a bitter taste was still fresh from what had gone before. Plus, as I said, I never felt like we would get to the play offs. We always seemed to capitulate when within reach 

• Like 2