BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Mowbray’s Future

Mowbray has made the club feel normal again. Will he get us to the Premier League? Maybe, but not this season. Is he better than the last guy, or a few before him? Oh yes. Look at where the likes of Tranmere, Grimsby, Oldham, Blackpool and Swindon have been. All were in the Premier League, or nearly got there at one point, and one even became non league. A similar kind of tail spin and corrosion may have happened with our club if Coyle stayed on, or Venky's used their managerial tombola again.

• Moderation Lead

He’s a hell of a lot of credit because of last season, but today was a very bad day all around. He very must ensure he gets it right on Wednesday, then on Saturday, against Wednesday....

Edited by K-Hod

I don’t like it when people get too attached to managers. It reminds me that the club is still rotten with Venkys here, so nobody trusts them to get a better one and so anyone half decent (or just a good guy) will get automatic backing.

At a healthy club the manager would be under pressure to get results rather than being grateful they aren’t a Kean or a Coyle.

The club is 4000 fans per fortnight away from breaking even so we are having to make better offers to away fans than home ones so we need PL football sooner rather than later.

If we had owners we could trust then we’d have a manager and board that were much more accountable. As it is, things are finely balanced. Relegation would be a disaster but some would shrug and say “Wigan did it twice so can we”.

• Like 3

He has been a breath of fresh air compared to some of the other dross in recent years but he has shown that he sometimes persists with things that do not work. We had the 3 at the back and now it is the 0 up front. How many times will he try this before giving up on it?

I just find it truly baffling that he puts Palmer up front because 'he can head the ball a bit' when we have a 7 million striker that cannot get in the team. What is the deal with this BB transfer? If BB was signed as a winger, or is too far away to be a striker, why did we not bring one in? I think most of us in the summer would have had a striker as the number one priority due to DGs age and the amount of minutes he can play. We probably did not expect to be backed with 7 million to get one and were probably quite pleasantly pleased - but then it seems he is not even a striker (in TMs eyes at least).

Edited by JacknOry

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/17259862.mowbray-wants-rovers-to-evolve-their-style-of-play/?ref=mac

Mogga's hopes for the team. All fair enough and only what has been pointed out on here by the 'negs' i.e. we are too reliant on the hoof to Graham. 

He's banging on about using different formations again though, which he never actually seems to do, probably because it never works. 

• Like 1

Just now, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

I’d certainly be putting that new contract on hold, that’s for bloody sure. 

Waggott employed, speaking out in the fans last week I wonder if he’s taking fans blind faith for granted.

Ive met Tony he is amazing as a football man, you want him to do well.

This could be heartbreaking 

• Moderation Lead

After Saturday, we needed a reaction. 

We haven’t had one and Mowbray needs to tell us why.

He also needs to tell us why he keeps making terrible decisions relating to team selection.

He needs to tell us why he’s so scared of attacking other teams. Particularly when we are a number of goals behind.

What’s the worst that could happen?

Man the feck up Tony!

He over complicates things and is also more worried about what the opposition might do to us than what we might do to them. Too many players playing out of position tonight we had Rodwell a central midfielder at centre back Reed a central midfielder on the right wing Armstrong a striker (who played his best football last season wide on the right) starting wide on the left. Then you have Brereton playing wide most of the time and Palmer and Dack being used a false 9's. He's been given a big enough budget that so many should not be playing out of position.

The midfield is void of any creativity our only attacks come from a long hoof up to Graham. The two holding midfielder are all well and good if you have some creativity getting forward and creating from out wide but we don't have that and the reason that we don't is because Mowbray doesn't use proper wingers. So we are stuck with square pegs in round holes out wide and two defensive minded players in the middle its not exactly a surprise that we look so devoid of any creativity.

Also he has got to be more ruthless with certain players who played their part last year but are not good enough to be starting week in week out at this level.

31 minutes ago, Stuart said:

He needs to answer some serious questions about his rotation policy.

I think the results answer the questions of his selection. Does he want to listen is the question id ask!

In my opinion, to borrow a phrase - if you didn’t expect a poor spell this season, give your head a wobble!

My main gripe is defending though because we’ve relied on Dack/Graham. 3 goals particularly tonight all just lazy or outright poor defending mistakes. Two closing down, one a simple header.

If we do the basics right, same line up and tactics, we win an attritional game against a league rival 1-0 to an OG. Not saying it’s as simple as that, however we’d stand a much better chance if we close players down.

Overall though the idea of changing manager is ludicrous. Only really one on here, loads on twitter - don’t read Facebook (full of sanctimonious twats..)

Two games ago would’ve been unthinkable. Another 2/3 defeats + performances like those two, particularly unorganised and a shambles without the ball - football these days is cutthroat.

Edited by Biz

Just now, Biz said:

I think the results answer the questions of his selection. Does he want to listen is the question id ask!

In my opinion, to borrow a phrase - if you didn’t expect a poor spell this season, give your head a wobble!

My main gripe is defending though because we’ve relied on Dack/Graham. 3 goals particularly tonight all just lazy or outright poor defending mistakes. Two closing down, one a simple header.

If we do the basics right, same line up and tactics, we win an attritional game against a league rival 1-0 to an OG. Not saying it’s as simple as that, however we’d stand a much better chance if we close players down.

Overall though the idea of changing manager is ludicrous. Only really one on here, loads on twitter - don’t read Facebook (full of sanctimonious twats..)

Two games ago would’ve been unthinkable. Another 2/3 defeats + performances like those two, particularly unorganised and a shambles without the hall - football these days is cutthroat.

Those half season tickets will sell themselves!

If ever there was an argument against Mowbray, you’ve just made it. But I disagree completely. We were second best in that game tonight and deservedly lost. No complaints about the score line either. To blame individual mistakes is trite.

On thin ice for me. Not mainly for the results but for the fact this team can do more and his set up is delusional at best and ignorant to criticism. It's almost like the more you say it doesn't work, the more he will push these silly tactics.

Be humble and set the team up simple. If he can't do that in the next 5 games then let him go. Anyone who goes "but who will we get" you forget this is a big club in the second division that will pay a good wage. We aren't a conference club....... yet.

• Like 1

Just now, Stuart said:

Those half season tickets will sell themselves!

If ever there was an argument against Mowbray, you’ve just made it. But I disagree completely. We were second best in that game tonight and deservedly lost. No complaints about the score line either. To blame individual mistakes is trite.

I’d take wins anyway but I think that we are actually making it harder for ourselves with those individual errors. Didn’t we say after 5/6 games or so we could’ve been joint top for a goalkeeping error and a poor wall at home to Villa?

Its become a common theme, sadly.

3 minutes ago, Biz said:

I’d take wins anyway but I think that we are actually making it harder for ourselves with those individual errors. Didn’t we say after 5/6 games or so we could’ve been joint top for a goalkeeping error and a poor wall at home to Villa?

Its become a common theme, sadly.

I think Mowbray is making it harder for us with his team selection and tactics. He withdrew Graham today and reverted back to the formation that failed us so badly at the weekend. The players may well be responding to that.

It’s been made all the worse by having this mini-meltdown against local rivals because the reaction is much more emotive. After a crap morning on Monday, it’s going to be more of the same tomorrow. I even went to Ewood on Monday where West Ham gave us a lesson but as disappointing as it was, nobody else knew or cared.

We know over cooking it and fiddling when not needed is his achilies heal he'd be a real top boss if he could control the voices in his head.

However he's more than capable of getting it back on track again so it's a question of return to basics get a result or two and leave the bloody team alone when it does.

• Like 1

Just now, Stuart said:

I think Mowbray is making it harder for us with his team selection and tactics. He withdrew Graham today and reverted back to the formation that failed us so badly at the weekend. The players may well be responding to that.

It’s been made all the worse by having this mini-meltdown against local rivals because the reaction is much more emotive. After a crap morning on Monday, it’s going to be more of the same tomorrow. I even went to Ewood on Monday where West Ham gave us a lesson but as disappointing as it was, nobody else knew or cared.

See I didn’t see that at all. It looked like two upfront to me, but the shape without the ball is woeful thus I’m not suprised I saw an attempted 3 at the b.

Mowbray is the manager of the team so the criticism of defending falls at his door but tbh I had my head in my hands watching us back off, and back off, and back off! 

The second paragraph is more about you having thicker skin though, I mean come on who literally cares what any Wigan fan said ever. 

Well he doesn't pull any punches in his post game quotes. Said the performance was unacceptable. 

I wonder, have the players fallen out or something? Where was Lenihan tonight? What has happened to Dack? 

I'd say Rothwell, Rodwell and Brereton are getting pissed off with not getting game time. Up to tonight for Rodwell of course,but still. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Biz said:

See I didn’t see that at all. It looked like two upfront to me, but the shape without the ball is woeful thus I’m not suprised I saw an attempted 3 at the b.

Mowbray is the manager of the team so the criticism of defending falls at his door but tbh I had my head in my hands watching us back off, and back off, and back off! 

The second paragraph is more about you having thicker skin though, I mean come on who literally cares what any Wigan fan said ever. 

People who work with Wigan fans.

How about Mowbray picks sides that can compete in football matches instead of science projects?

Just now, Stuart said:

People who work with Wigan fans.

How about Mowbray picks sides that can compete in football matches instead of science projects?

Mad science project? Or Google’s mad interpretation of pretty much the same lineup and tactics from the game at Ewood in March....!

We are making silly mistakes. Play who you want in whatever round peg square bastard hole you want but simply let someone waltz past you and cut it back across the box... Barmy.

5E038909-4D66-47F1-840E-0BBC8A5C3536.png

His line up tonight wasn’t my gripe necessarily - although recent ones have left a lot to be desired.

He brought off Graham and brought on Williams to play wing backs and effective us Armstrong as a front man with Dack doing not a lot. It was such a poor change - especially at 1-0 down and we looked even worse afterwards.

In the games I’ve seen him, Rothwell has made us tick in midfield, although he needs a Savage type to do the ugly stuff for him (maybe Reed) but he can’t get a look in. Dack looks disinterested or has just gone out of form. A ‘slight knock’ might be a good plan for the weekend. Sadly like all managers who have run out of ideas Mowbray will probably persist with the ‘false 9’ nonsense as his Plan A.

• Like 1