BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Mowbray’s Future

18 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

It wasnt because it was essentially a back 5. Either way it was never going to improve us as an attacking team.

I think its pretty meaningful that he has a forward that cost 7 million on the bench, as well as 2 attacking midfielders he signed, and when lets assume Graham got injured (not seen anything to suggest that) he resorted to a defender in a bizarre changed that panned out exactly as to be expected.

Yes he had to try something but to be honest its worrying that hes having to be so desperately reactive in the absence of a way of cresting attacks from the start. But the sub he did make made absolutely no sense and it proved a complete failure.

The most problematic aspect was that we didnt appear to have any sort of plan regardless of what formation and set of personnel were on the pitch.

And? So did I.

Ive yet to see a logical explanation fot a sub that clearly didnt work. Im not even sure Graham was injured but he had 3 of his own attacking players on the bench. The sub was a total failure, lets not dress it up. 

Absolutely right. It was both a baffling and conservative change in equal measures. It seemed strange at the time and it didnt work.

I am pretty sure they plan wasn't for it to be a back 5

Of course the change could have mad us more attacking. You change depending on the opposition. Having wing backs works better against some teams. It didn't work for us, but such a change can work. 

You keep saying it was a defender for a striker, but he didn't put Williams upfront. Armstrong went there. 

I think we are going around in circles :)

If he didn't change something with the formation or tactically he would get criticism too. Like after the Swansea game 

What changes would you have made? 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

look at the thread and people comments saying his position should be look at. Like Mercerman and some others. I haven't got the time to go through. 

Grow up? cracking comment. 

Look at the game and why we change formation and why Graham went off?

As I posted earlier, we are in real danger of being not much better off than when Mowbray replaced Owen.

IMV, we don't seem mentally or physically up for it, tactics are a nonsense, players are used consistently out of position, recruitment is poor and the Brereton signing is absolutely mystifying and worrying.  On top of that, I think our style of football is cr@p.  To me, the players' body language last night got the alarm bells ringing - I very much doubt all is well in the camp.

Mowbray should be very worried and he should be on the thinnest of thin ice.

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 2

• Moderation Lead
15 minutes ago, Mercer said:

As I posted earlier, we are in real danger of being not much better off than when Mowbray replaced Owen.

IMV, we don't seem mentally or physically up for it, tactics are a nonsense, players are used consistently out of position, recruitment is poor and the Brereton signing is absolutely mystifying and worrying.  On top of that, I think our style of football is cr@p.  To me, the players' body language last night got the alarm bells ringing - I very much doubt all is well in the camp.

We're in real danger of history being re-written is more like it. A few on here have been doing it recently as well, to be fair. 

Edited by K-Hod

24 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Your first sentence shows a real lack of awareness 

Or are you just trying to troll Chaddy? 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I am pretty sure they plan wasn't for it to be a back 5

Of course the change could have mad us more attacking. You change depending on the opposition. Having wing backs works better against some teams. It didn't work for us, but such a change can work. 

You keep saying it was a defender for a striker, but he didn't put Williams upfront. Armstrong went there. 

I think we are going around in circles :)

If he didn't change something with the formation or tactically he would get criticism too. Like after the Swansea game 

What changes would you have made? 

I think that, possibly with exceptions I cant think of, 3 at the back is a formation that only tends to work if its one you play religiously week after week because it is quite complex in terms of specific roles. I dont think you should randomly change to it at half time randomly for a start. Perhaps symbolic of Mowbray worrying more about the opposition than allowing his own team the freedom to really develop its own identity, something which it had in the main last season.

Our wing backs were Nyambe and Bell, 2 fairly defensive full backs both having shocking games. How would that ever lend itself to making us more attacking? 

He will get criticism if he does things that contributes to poor performances and results, and praise if it improves us. I dont think you can use that as a defence. Against Swansea he put Dack as a striker and Brereton wide so strange example too.

Also, Mowbray has said Graham wasnt injured, it was tactical. I would have kept him on, and probably brought on Palmer and Rothwell for Armstrong and Smallwood, and put Reed next to Evans. But I would have started a different team anyway.

• Like 3

Just now, Mellor Rover said:

Why are you still talking about that toxic little rat? 

I know one thing, if either Kean or Owen had been Rovers' manager last night, that performance would have resulted in MB meltdown.

I think last night was as bad, if not worse, as anything I saw under Kean or Owen.

Think Mowbray gets off very lightly with Rovers' fans.

• Like 1

Just now, Mercer said:

I know one thing, if either Kean or Owen had been Rovers' manager last night, that performance would have resulted in MB meltdown.

I think last night was as bad, if not worse, as anything I saw under Kean or Owen.

Think Mowbray gets off very lightly with Rovers' fans.

It resulted in MB meltdown under Mowbray.

This is probably the biggest crisis of Mowbray's time at Rovers.

The team selection and tactics look increasingly questionable and worse, the players look disinterested and lacking fight and motivation.  In addition, the defence is leaking goals at an alarming rate (always a problem with Mowbray's teams) and the manager seems unable to stop the rot.

Mowbray has alot of goodwill among fans but that will soon evaporate if there are any more performances like the fiascos at Preston and Wigan.

• Like 5

I’ve been highly critical of the team selection and performance last night in the game thread. However I have nothing but the upmost respect for Mowbray and I can’t envisage a set of circumstances where I would call for his head.

Even with the recent slump he has given us a team that you can be proud of regardless of their limitations and I would much prefer to be lead by someone who cares  than all the dross managers we’ve had recently.

(Although I do like a bit of winning as well please)

• Like 2

Just now, Boroblue said:

I’ve been highly critical of the team selection and performance last night in the game thread. However I have nothing but the upmost respect for Mowbray and I can’t envisage a set of circumstances where I would call for his head.

Even with the recent slump he has given us a team that you can be proud of regardless of their limitations and I would much prefer to be lead by someone who cares  than all the dross managers we’ve had recently.

Naive beyond words

Just now, Boroblue said:

Most managers either get found out, run out of ideas and / or luck, or run out of money. All of them have a sell-by date - even Wenger.

Mowbray lost 10 games in succession IIRC before he got the boot at Coventry. I'd hope our "management" would give him the heave-ho well before then.  

10 hours ago, arbitro said:

Generally poor. Him and Mulgrew just couldn't handle the physicality of Vaughan and the running in behind of Windass. In the second half he looked really uncomfortable in an three as did Mulgrew and Williams.

Aye, as bad as Lenihan has been in the odd game he holds that defence together most weeks simply because he can do the dirty stuff and he's mobile. I feel Rodwell will prove a liability at the back. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jim mk2 said:

The team selection and tactics look increasingly questionable and worse, the players look disinterested and lacking fight and motivation.  In addition, the defence is leaking goals at an alarming rate (always a problem with Mowbray's teams) and the manager seems unable to stop the rot.

Mowbray has alot of goodwill among fans but that will soon evaporate if there are any more performances like the fiascos at Preston and Wigan.

Agreed. A manager’s goodwill with fans is tenuous at best.

I can’t but help think Mulgrew not being allowed to play for Scotland has something to do with this. First time Mowbray has stopped him and I thought the LET quoted on it implied Mulgrew wasn’t at all happy. Maybe the trust and support Mowbray has given to the group has or is being abused. If so, he needs to let them know who is the boss, and do something that shocks the players back to reality. Send Williams to train with the kids - he played like one in the last two games - or out on loan to a shit club. Let them know that while they can eventually get him the sack, he can screw the career of any one of them a lot sooner.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mercer said:

Mowbray has a lot of goodwill in the bank because he got us promoted from a division that could have swallowed us up for years.

It's weird you don't understand that.

• Like 2

If Rovers continue in the same vein, Mowbray should be a goner. Pure and simple. It’s rare for a manager to stop the rot, and Rovers can’t afford a return to league one. 

That said, it’s still early days. Performances are not encouraging, though. Like I said on RF.com, losing is one thing, losing in that manner is something else. 

16 minutes ago, Boroblue said:

But what if we were to lose the next 4? The next 6? The next 8?

Depending on performance levels I'd say that could well be a case of "Need to look at it" "You've got 2 games" and "Sorry but it's time for a change" respectively.

Hopefully of course nothing remotely approaching that will happen and results and performance levels will stabilise.

Starting on Saturday.

1 hour ago, jim mk2 said:

It depends what his remit is for the season. If Venky's get impatient because they are expecting a ply-off push then this current bad run will matter if it carries on. If the fans get impatient it won't matter a jot to the owners. They'll sack him when they're ready. 

It's hardly a crisis though, that's just pure hyperbole. Scab a 1-0 on Saturday and we'll be just outside the play-offs again.

He's not making it easy for himself though with his bizarre selections,  and his signings in the summer are looking worse with every game.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

Mowbray has a lot of goodwill in the bank because he got us promoted from a division that could have swallowed us up for years.

It's weird you don't understand that.

Although if you look at his managerial career as a whole I think I'm right in saying he's had good times followed by bad times at a couple of his former Clubs.

The fact he took us up last season would be no or little consolation were he to take us down again and whilst last season earns him a bit more leeway than if he'd had no success here, it doesn't (or at least shouldn't) earn him a completely free pass. As the old saying goes "You're only as good as your last game".

Hopefully all this type of talk will prove to be academic and by the end of the season we'll be laughing at this 2 game "blip".