BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Holiday Camp Mentality

So after an absolutely shocking run you might expect the players to be dragged in during the international break for extra training or meetings - at least for those who aren’t called up for international duty.

Dack and Williams are instead off to Dubai for some sunshine. The tough life of a second tier footballer.

Is it any wonder that we are in the position we are when we have players booked on a flight the day after a match? Don’t think I’d be risking an injury when I’ve got a holiday planned.

Do the players actually care? Can Mowbray instil any discipline? Has he told them all to have a break?

610B47AC-BF92-4EC2-8FD6-5FAF55CBBFC9.jpeg

Edited by Stuart

There is something to this. I don't begrudge payers having a holiday, but on an international break after the collapse we have just witnessed, at a minimum, I don't think they deserve it. 

I'm sure the players do care about what has happened, but I wonder how much? Along with a lack of leadership, I think there are a lack of winners in our team. Too many just happy to plod along in mid table and go to dubai on their holidays! 

Mowbray is laizze Faire, no doubt about it. It could eventually be his undoing imo. You can't trust modern payers to put the work in. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 2

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

There is something to this. I don't begrudge payers having a holiday, but on an international break after the collapse we have just witnessed, at a minimum, I don't think they deserve it. 

I'm sure the players do care about what has happened, but I wonder how much? Along with a lack of leadership, I think there are a lack of winners in our team. Too many just happy to plod along in mid table and go to dubai on their holidays! 

Mowbray is laizze Faire, no doubt about it. It could eventually be his undoing imo. You can't trust modern payers to put the work in. 

Spot on!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hepy said:

Hope it does them good. Hughes used to reckon it was good for the players having a break.

Whatever training they are getting at Rovers isn’t working so may be a break will work.

I think Hughes and Allardyce liked taking the squad away for some disciplined warm weather training. This looks like a jolly up for two under performing players.

• Like 2

Two weeks before we play next you’d be hoping we would be working on our shocking fitness and organisation, rather than going off on their jollies.  If they had been performing well then fair enough to give them a break but the way we have been playing we should be on the training ground every day between now and Villa addressing serious problems. 

• Like 1

Nothing new this just the perks of being a hard done to footballer on thousands per week win, lose or draw.  They were all over social media in GBs time you often got the impression they only turn4d into training to organize their social lives whilst the manager laughed at them.

It will probably do them good to have a break though and I usually hate International breaks but this time it might just break the cycle of the malaise that's set in. A nice result away at Villa and the manager setting a points total for the last bit of the season would be good.

Otherwise bench these ######s and turn out as many youth as possible for the rest of the season regardless.

Im not one to get too worked up about something like this. Im not saying that it is or isnt like a holiday camp but I think its pretty common at the start of an international break to see players go on holiday, its not a reward its to rest ahead of a busy end to season schedule.

There are plenty of things that I can with certainty criticise the manager for, recruitment, tactics, team selection, organisation, without needing to speculate.

At the end of the day, different managers have different styles and last season we were all praising the dressing room. Id prefer to see through such a subjective issue and concentrate more on facts, weve lost 10 in 16, and we cant defend at all, rather than speculate how much if any of that is down to a holiday camp mentality. 

15 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Nothing new this just the perks of being a hard done to footballer on thousands per week win, lose or draw.  They were all over social media in GBs time you often got the impression they only turn4d into training to organize their social lives whilst the manager laughed at them.

It will probably do them good to have a break though and I usually hate International breaks but this time it might just break the cycle of the malaise that's set in. A nice result away at Villa and the manager setting a points total for the last bit of the season would be good.

Otherwise bench these ######s and turn out as many youth as possible for the rest of the season regardless.

I like the International breaks as well, this lot can't ruin another weekend.

If having a break recharges the batteries then I’m all in favour. We will only know the effects when they all return. I’m not sure that Theory X management works with the modern day footballer TBH. Look at Mourinho v Solskjaer. It’s damned if you do, damned if you don’t I think. We have a squad that is serially under performing, breaking the routine might just be what’s needed.

it reminds me of clubs who cancel Christmas parties after a bad result, I always think that symbolises a “token gesture to appease the fans’ approach...if I was on the receiving end of that kind of management I’d think the guy had lost the plot...?‍♂️

I would gather every player together and say to them. For all those players not picked for international duties.  After our recent poor results,you have two choices for the upcoming international break. You can go away on holiday or you can come in and train. I would say to them that I would be telling the supporters, who decided to do what and how it would effect future selections for the teams. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rigger said:

I would gather every player together and say to them. For all those players not picked for international duties.  After our recent poor results,you have two choices for the upcoming international break. You can go away on holiday or you can come in and train. I would say to them that I would be telling the supporters, who decided to do what and how it would effect future selections for the teams. 

But the players may benefit from a few days off after a hectic few months to rest and recharge. You are viewing the opportunity for a holiday as a reward but it may well be far more beneficial to allow the players a bit of rest.

8 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

But the players may benefit from a few days off after a hectic few months to rest and recharge. You are viewing the opportunity for a holiday as a reward but it may well be far more beneficial to allow the players a bit of rest.

After a hectic few months? They’ve been garbage for most of the season.

There is no incentive for senior players to perform in this side. They start every week if they are fit regardless of form. Dack has been one of the worst offenders this season and has faded as the season has gone on and yet he keep his place with Rothwell and Armstrong and even Brereton having to play out of position instead.

I’ll say it again: play football on Saturday, fly out to the beach on Sunday. It doesn’t look good and must be a distraction.

This idea of having a holiday mid season (not a warm weather training camp) is part of a slack culture, and is only justifiable when not in a promotion hunt or relegation battle. If players are only going to get enough points on the board to take the last 8 games of the season off then fans should be allowed in for free.

I wonder how the conversation went - and when?

“Right lads, it’s been a tough few weeks, we are pretty much safe now, Rotherham are crap (except against us), and there’s an international break coming up. Have a week off and we’ll see you on the 25th. Don’t do anything I would. Wink wink. Ho Ho.”

It breeds the wrong mentality. It rewards mediocrity.

Just now, Oldgregg86 said:

Come on does anyone believe Bradley dack is going to Dubai to " rest and recouperate"

Presumably this jaunt was booked before yesterday's game, which begets the question, what was their mind on/main focus yesterday? I know what most people are like at work the day their holidays ?

• Like 1

I'd like to see a graph of results for the first game back after International breaks over the past 6 years as i'm pretty sure it wouldn't make good reading.  These kind of jolly ups are routine these days I think.

I remember going on about how slow and poor we usually look after a break a few times over the Championship years.

Edited by tomphil