BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Holiday Camp Mentality

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

After a hectic few months? They’ve been garbage for most of the season.

There is no incentive for senior players to perform in this side. They start every week if they are fit regardless of form. Dack has been one of the worst offenders this season and has faded as the season has gone on and yet he keep his place with Rothwell and Armstrong and even Brereton having to play out of position instead.

I’ll say it again: play football on Saturday, fly out to the beach on Sunday. It doesn’t look good and must be a distraction.

This idea of having a holiday mid season (not a warm weather training camp) is part of a slack culture, and is only justifiable when not in a promotion hunt or relegation battle. If players are only going to get enough points on the board to take the last 8 games of the season off then fans should be allowed in for free.

I wonder how the conversation went - and when?

“Right lads, it’s been a tough few weeks, we are pretty much safe now, Rotherham are crap (except against us), and there’s an international break coming up. Have a week off and we’ll see you on the 25th. Don’t do anything I would. Wink wink. Ho Ho.”

It breeds the wrong mentality. It rewards mediocrity.

Your comment about team selection is a far more objective and fair one. Although the player you have picked out is unfair. I dont discount the fact that Dacks form in the last month or 2 has been below par, but hed made himself the first name on the team sheet prior to that, and his recent run of 6 without a goal was his biggest drought in a Rovers shirt. A goal and an assist in the last 2 take him on to 12 goals and 6 assists in the league which is a more than respectable statistic. Its like with Rhodes; people used to question his inclusion when on a lean spell but hed proven himself consistently before that. There are players that regularly play whose places should be under serious threat far quicker than Dack.

I dont understand why you are viewing potential mini breaks as a reward for poor form. Poor results dont discount the fact that the players have played a lot of games since the last break. It makes sense to give the players a bit of a break, im sure a few are carrying knocks that need resting and then get back with plenty of time to go over tactics on the training ground. (Something I am not convinced in Mowbrays ability to do so recently but thats beside the point) I personally dont think that we have been so poor because of a lack of effort either necessarily.

• Like 2

I don’t think it helps who was in the picture to be honest, of all the players in the squad we had the most woefully under performing player of the season and a fantastic player that fans feel doesn’t have the right attitude to make good of his undoubted talent.

Had the picture been of say Danny Graham, id personally think he has busted his balls all season and deserves a break. Footballers are spoilt babies and cancelling this break would have been counterproductive and if anything would have been seen as “giving into the fans” by players. I regularly listen to the John Parkin and Chris Brown podcasts and they talk of the mentality of players and fans relationship to time off and going out drinking , if you are winning it’s team building if you are losing it’s taking the piss but it’s the same players having the same down time win or lose.

• Like 3

I've no problem with it, I think it could do the players some good. Of course I'd prefer it if Mowbray was taking them all away together on a warm weather training camp to work on our failings but it seems our budget doesn't stretch to those sort of things. 

If Mowbray has given them time off its entirely predictable that someone like Dack would take the opportunity to go off to Dubai with his bird. 

After the Brentford game in February I spoke to Dack at Piccadilly Station and I asked him why only him and Rodwell were on the train. He said that most of the players were having a night out in London. Hew also said that provided you ask in advance Mowbray was pretty good and relaxed about social events. I asked him if Mowbray was going out with them and he said the staff were travelling back on the coach from London. 

I remember the incident when Dunn wanted to stay in Southampton with Beattie after a game there when we were particularly poor. Souness wouldn't let him stay and made him come back on the coach.

Each manager will have different ideas about things like this and if the players are due a few days off they will all be up to different things.

Just now, arbitro said:

After the Brentford game in February I spoke to Dack at Piccadilly Station and I asked him why only him and Rodwell were on the train. He said that most of the players were having a night out in London. Hew also said that provided you ask in advance Mowbray was pretty good and relaxed about social events. I asked him if Mowbray was going out with them and he said the staff were travelling back on the coach from London. 

I remember the incident when Dunn wanted to stay in Southampton with Beattie after a game there when we were particularly poor. Souness wouldn't let him stay and made him come back on the coach.

Each manager will have different ideas about things like this and if the players are due a few days off they will all be up to different things.

Well they definitely didn't deserve a night out after the Brentford game. 2 nil up, on the cusp of the play offs and we concede 5 second half goals. I would have been too sickened to go out if I was them 

Two nil up and thinking they'll coast it so minds all turn to the night out and bang ... doesn't really help the weak mentality and if TM uses it as a carrot and stick approach then if they balls up that badly the stick should come out and the night out gets shelved.

Edited by tomphil

Are players now not allow a break from the job just like a every day normal worker these days whether a few days away in Dubai or away in the UK. Some players will go away in they don't have kids whether others with kids will spend time with them. 

5 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

I bet it happens every break, they just got caught by a selfie doorstepper this time...

why did they need to get caught? just look at the players Instagram tell you alot.

also aren't players entitled to a break just like us? 

• Moderation Lead

They're entitled to a holiday like the rest of us, absolutely.

But even the most ardent Rovers fan must be a bit irritated that their reward for an absolutely shocking post-January slump is a jolly to Dubai?

If they beat Villa, fair one, it will quickly be forgotten. But with the way they're playing at the moment and the way we are playing, can we see that happening??

Just now, K-Hod said:

But even the most ardent Rovers fan must be a bit irritated that their reward for an absolutely shocking post-January slump is a jolly to Dubai?

If they beat Villa, fair one, it will quickly be forgotten. 

No not at all. 

Its their choice not ours. Do you expect them to have poll to see if they are allow to go away?.

• Moderation Lead

Of course not, that's just a bit daft, Chaddy!

If they were top of the league, it's a different discussion, but for them to be allowed to go to Dubai could be seen as rewarding failure. 

There's not even two months of the season left, can't they wait until then?

If it was me and I'd been on the run of form they had recently, I'd be grafting my backside off before the next game.....

Edited by K-Hod

The thing is of they were top of the league or in the running for the play offs, they probably wouldn't go away

I doubt Leeds, Sheffield United or Norwich players are heading to dubai on jollys. I doubt ipswich are either. So in a way, our lot are best placed to go away as they have nothing left to play for. Therfore, in a way they are being rewarded for mediocrity. 

13 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

If they beat Villa, fair one, it will quickly be forgotten. But with the way they're playing at the moment and the way we are playing, can we see that happening??

Im not sure why theres an insistence to view it as a reward. Its the first time in a few months where there has been a break in the fixtures, a few days off to rest any knocks and recuperate ahead of the remaining fixtures seems in the best interest ahead of coming back and training ahead of Villa. If we go to Villa and suffer further embarassment then im sure there will be tactical, recruitment, substitution, team selection based questions to ask of the manager but I feel like this thread is somewhat clutching at straws.

Im sure the holidays arent paid for by the club or awarded as a reward.

The suggestion that its because we dont care about the rest of the season and are going on a "jolly" because of it is unfounded in my opinion.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

The thing is of they were top of the league or in the running for the play offs, they probably wouldn't go away

I doubt Leeds, Sheffield United or Norwich players are heading to dubai on jollys. I doubt ipswich are either. So in a way, our lot are best placed to go away as they have nothing left to play for. Therfore, in a way they are being rewarded for mediocrity. 

I live in Norwich and work with season ticket holders here. One of the first things one guy said this morning when talking about football was that pretty much all of the Norwich players are off to Dubai or Tenerife this week. I think it's pretty common place for players at all teams to head away over the international break at this time of year, regardless of form or league standing. 

No opinion on whether it's right or wrong, Just hope it does the trick for our lot and they come back to put a shift in for the remaining games of the season!

Just now, its_rovertime said:

I live in Norwich and work with season ticket holders here. One of the first things one guy said this morning when talking about football was that pretty much all of the Norwich players are off to Dubai or Tenerife this week. I think it's pretty common place for players at all teams to head away over the international break at this time of year, regardless of form or league standing. 

No opinion on whether it's right or wrong, Just hope it does the trick for our lot and they come back to put a shift in for the remaining games of the season!

OK, fair enough. I suppose for teams at the top, it's good to keep their minds off the pressure. 

If we beat villa, I won't care, but if we rock back up and take a beating, it will be a different story! 

I'm not against them going away, I'm more concerned where they have gone. Dubai has strict laws and I can see dack getting 20 years for @#/? in the corner of a VIP section of a club or skipping back to his room , drunk, hand in hand with Williams and ending up with his left foot in a fruit basket. 

There's a general attitude of couldn't care less emanating from Ewood since January for some reason. Almost as if something has happened behind the scenes that has pissed everyone off. 

We're all aware of our general defensive woes but the spirit within the club has nosedived for some reason. I feel the poor results have come as a consequence and not the other way round.

1 minute ago, Oldgregg86 said:

I'm not against them going away, I'm more concerned where they have gone. Dubai has strict laws and I can see dack getting 20 years for @#/? in the corner of a VIP section of a club or skipping back to his room , drunk, hand in hand with Williams and ending up with his left foot in a fruit basket. 

My thoughts exactly.  If it goes pear shaped there it's a life changing event. Dack would be safer in Spain, maybe Del Boy is his chaperon. 

And I don't mean IT goes pear shaped ?

They both look a bit podgy faced so a good sweat will do them no harm.