BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Big Summer Clearout

Who does everybody want gone in a hypothetical summer clear out?

Assuming we can shift them off the books?

For me:

Dominic Samuel

Ben Gladwin

Craig Conway

Derek Williams

Charlie Mulgrew 

Jason Leutwiler

One of Richie Smallwood or Corry Evans not particularly bothered which one

Paul Downing

Sam Hart

(I'd keep Bell as 2nd choice left back)

• Like 1

Smallwood stays for me. Unlike Evans he gets stuck in and actually disrupts attacks. Far from my first choice cm but definitely a player i'd want in my squad. 

Feel there's a lot of players in the right roles in the correct system with a good manager might not be top quality (even for this division) but would do very well. Bennett and Bell and Armstrong all spring to mind in this category. 

• Moderation Lead

There would be as many I'd want to get rid of as want to keep tbh, but replacing all that need to be replaced would be costly.....

I think it will take the fabled few transfer windows before we can do that. 

• Like 1

I

Wish list : -

OUT:

I think Gladwin, Conway, Rodwell and Downing are all out of contract? If true don't offer another to any of them

Bell and/or Williams - probably more potential in Bell

Leutwiler 

Hart 

Evans or Smallwood

Samuel and/or Nuttall

IN:-

A goalkeeper, Two CB's, a LB, a creative midfielder, a winger and a striker - all of those to be bought as 1st teamers not 'projects'. 

2 minutes ago, BlackburnEnd75 said:

I wouldn't get rid of Nuttall just yet. I'd give him a few more chances see if he's worth keeping and then loaning out to League 1.

Butterworth is better than nuttall, plus we have Armstrong, brereton, graham and hopefully someone new. He's had his chance , isn't good enough or needed. Buckley needs promoting to the first team picture at the expense of Smallwood and hopefully someone can come in and replace Evans. 

All of this depends on the budget, if Tony wants to spend it and if he has scouted and got players in mind. It's a massive Job and one that needs to start in defence. This isn't going to be fixed in two windows. It's a big job and It's going to have to be done in stages over a couple of windows. 

Mowbray has a addressed this on the past which is why so many feel January was a wasted opportunity. It wasnt about a promotion push for me, I new that was never possible, it was about the re build.

Tony will be here in summer so all I can do is hope he has a few aces up his sleeve.

Edited by Oldgregg86
  • Like 1

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

I think Gladwin, Conway, Rodwell and Downing are all out of contract? If true don't offer another to any of them

Yup, Downing, Leutwiler, Rodwell, Conway, Gladwin all up at the end of season.

Source says the same for Evans & Nyambe, although they're actually tied to 2021 & 2020 respectively.

Just now, Blue blood said:

£7 million aside - which I appreciate is a.factor, as are the undercurrents of who brought him and why - but on ability alone would anyone really want Bereton to stay? 

It's a fair question. 

I'd keep him. If he had come though our youth ranks then we would be happy to let him develop in the u23s. He has more potential than nuttall who I believe has hit his ceiling so on that basis I'd keep him.

On the flip side if he had come through the youth ranks and he was released I can't see many losing much sleep

• Like 1

I think Leutwiler, Gladwin, Hart, Rodwell & Downing will all move on permanent deals

I could see Smallwood & Williams going out on loan to league one sides, nobody is paying a fee for those two.

Evans, Bennett, Conway, Mulgrew & Samuel will all still be in the squad I think.

Edited by MarkBRFC

4 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

£7 million aside - which I appreciate is a.factor, as are the undercurrents of who brought him and why - but on ability alone would anyone really want Bereton to stay? 

Just now, Oldgregg86 said:

It's a fair question. 

I'd keep him. If he had come though our youth ranks then we would be happy to let him develop in the u23s. He has more potential than nuttall who I believe has hit his ceiling so on that basis I'd keep him.

On the flip side if he had come through the youth ranks and he was released I can't see many losing much sleep

I he was ours he be out on loan next season. A loan till January might not be the worst idea but where would he go. Having played so many games for his age at Championship level would going to League 1 do him any good? Not sure he'd get in many championship teams, other than Bolton.

Sure there’ll be a split consensus on this, but I’d keep Rodwell providing it was a sensible wage & the intention was for him to play central midfield, although I can’t see that happening from what we’ve heard previously from Mowbray.

Shame for me as he could be a tidy centre mid at this level when kept fit, he undoubtedly has quality and experience that would be useful next to Travis. Reed likely won’t be here next season too so would make him a handier signing.

• Like 2

I’d look to offload Leutwiler, Mulgrew, Williams, Smallwood and Evans. Out of those, if Williams is here come August I’ll be fuming - will prove TM is all talk. I’d obviously be happy to be shut of Samuel too but nobody will take him after a year out. I’d release all of those out of contract - special thanks to Conway and Downing but one needs the knackered yard, the other deserves a top League one club. 

Bennett, Bell and Raya could consider themselves very fortunate but we need squad players. 

We need half a new squad effectively. I don’t have faith that TM will have the budget or nous to fill the spots well.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!

Just now, Don Said said:

Sure there’ll be a split consensus on this, but I’d keep Rodwell providing it was a sensible wage & the intention was for him to play central midfield, although I can’t see that happening from what we’ve heard previously from Mowbray.

Shame for me as he could be a tidy centre mid at this level when kept fit, he undoubtedly has quality and experience that would be useful next to Travis. Reed likely won’t be here next season too so would make him a handier signing.

Like you say Reed won't be here next season, which is a shame but he;s barely played in position all season.

Rodwell isn't going to be considered as a centre mid so you can stop day dreaming about that. He's finished as a centre mid. I keep him as a back up centre back if the wages were right.

Just now, BlackburnEnd75 said:

Rodwell isn't going to be considered as a centre mid so you can stop day dreaming about that. He's finished as a centre mid. 

How is he finished as a centre mid though?

He’s a 28 year old professional athlete who trains every day for gods sake. 

The manager has painted him to be an aged crock and a lot of our fans have bought it. He’s only said that to justify the centre back experiment imo.

• Like 1

If and I know it's an IF, but if we have a similar budget to last summer, transfers that were worth a potential £11 million, (brereton 7mil, Armstrong 3.5mil and Rothwell 500k) and use the loan market effectively, and added to that the supposed decent budget that was remaining and sale of players. Then there is no reason at all that we cannot bring in some quality and improve the first team in at least 4 or 5 positions, anything on top of that would be a bonus. However that would mean Mowbray probably having to get every transfer spot on, his record tells us he won't do that.

I'd definitely keep Rodwell as a back-up Centre-Half, especially if Mowbray is looking to play the 5-3-2 or the 5-2-2-1 wingback formation. You need someone who can pass the ball in the back three and Jack can defiantly do that. You will need 6 centre half in the squad at least:

Lenihan - New - New

Nyambe  - Rodwell - Magloire/Wharton/Platt

Charlie Mulgrew might fancy one last jaunt somewhere else.

Two of the more debatable names I would get rid of would be Evans and Bennett. Not good enough for the amount of minutes they play for us.

• Like 1

Just now, Don Said said:

How is he finished as a centre mid though?

He’s a 28 year old professional athlete who trains every day for gods sake. 

The manager has painted him to be an aged crock and a lot of our fans have bought it. He’s only said that to justify the centre back experiment imo.

Its not just the manager its the player himself. He can barely string games together playing centre back so he's got no chance playing centre mid in the championship Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday. The player knows this and is trying to salvage his career playing centre back, and to be fair he looked good in January playing there (even though he's not the type of centre back we need). If the manager is telling him that he's going to be considered a centre mid he's not going to bother.

That he trains every day is irrelevant. Rodwell's only option long term is to play centre back.

I'd be actively looking to offload: Gladwin (out of contract), Hart (inexplicably given an extension recently but certainly not a first team contender), Nuttall (season long loan or sale if the opportunity arises), Williams (sale), Conway (release), Leutwiler (release), Samuel (sale or season long loan).

I wouldn't have a particularly strong view on Smallwood - if he wants to play every week then I'd move him on, if he's happy to accept that he isn't going to be in the team every week he might be ok on the bench.

Rodwell - if a deal can be done that is sensible then I wouldn't be against him staying.

Reed - looks like he's being phased out as he won't be here next season. Big shame as his versatility and energy has been important to us this season but I doubt our ambitions align with his and our budget won't stretch to buying him outright.

Dack - clearly the aim should be to keep and build around but once again we're seeing the foundations being laid for a sale with the manager suggesting he might sell to raise funds - I don't trust them on that front.

Bennett - probably similar story to Smallwood. Good pro to have around and useful at times but we probably need to move away from him being 1st name on the teamsheet every week - probably the least likely to be moved out.

Lenihan - another one like Dack we should be retaining and building around but another one who the money men might fancy selling off for a few million.

Mulgrew - probably the toughest decision of the lot as to what we do there but Mowbray is going to have to do something or it will cost him his job. He will either need to replace him or find a way of defending much better with him.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, BlackburnEnd75 said:

Who does everybody want gone in a hypothetical summer clear out?

Assuming we can shift them off the books?

For me:

Dominic Samuel

Ben Gladwin

Craig Conway

Derek Williams

Charlie Mulgrew 

Jason Leutwiler

One of Richie Smallwood or Corry Evans not particularly bothered which one

Paul Downing

Sam Hart

(I'd keep Bell as 2nd choice left back)

I forgot Gladwin and Samuel existed.