BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Big Summer Clearout

Just now, DeeCee said:

Has anyone seen Gladwin play?

Just remember him missing an open net in the last minute, in a home draw with Plymouth, and never saw him play again.

I don't think either keeper is good enough, but keep either as back up to a new keeper.

Both Bell and Williams should be instantly on the chopping board, 2 terrible players. Would keep Lenihan and Nyambe, Mulgrew potentially as a 4th choice centre back, but we need an overhaul in defence as an urgent priority. 

In midfield, I would sign Rodwell up for an extra year or two solely as a midfielder, Travis is a very good prospect, Reed I would like to get on loan again but I don't think he can be considered a big enough priority to spend a chunk of our budget on. Evans I would keep as a squad player, I think he's had a pretty decent season. Smallwood, Bennett and Conway I would thank and move on, Gladwin I would just move on. 

In attacking positions, build around Dack, give a new contract if we can. Armstrong, Rothwell, Chapman all can play big parts going forward.

Graham still has a huge part to play, otherwise up front we are short. Samuel has got better to some people by not playing and needs discarding, I don't think Nuttall is or will ever be good enough, and Brereton has looked woefully short and I would loan out ideally.

So yeah, a big overhaul and one that wont happen!

• Like 1

Graham Dack Travis Nyambe and Lenihan can stay as well as the U23 lads (including Chapman in that). If any of the rest were too leave I wouldn’t care as long as they were replaced, that shows the lack of quality we have in the squad! I’d keep Reed but I don’t think we have much say in that. Huge job this summer for Mowbray if he wants too keep his own job long term...

Downing , Gladwin , Conway , Williamsand Hart  ( even though he recently signed a new contract ) , Personally I would keep Evans and Smallwood although I couldn't honestly say they would be in my first time when everyone fit and available , the same could be said for Graham and Bennett . Mulgrew is a funny one for me , as a player I really like him , nobody else at the club can produce from set pieces what he can , he's a leader on the pitch and offers that bit of class with the ball but what has been proved this season is that he really struggles when Lenighan isn't alongside him , he is a footballer and he needs someone alongside him to do the Physical stuff 

Edited by AJW

1 hour ago, AJW said:

Downing , Gladwin , Conway , Williamsand Hart  ( even though he recently signed a new contract ) , Personally I would keep Evans and Smallwood although I couldn't honestly say they would be in my first time when everyone fit and available , the same could be said for Graham and Bennett . Mulgrew is a funny one for me , as a player I really like him , nobody else at the club can produce from set pieces what he can , he's a leader on the pitch and offers that bit of class with the ball but what has been proved this season is that he really struggles when Lenighan isn't alongside him , he is a footballer and he needs someone alongside him to do the Physical stuff 

Graham wouldnt be in your best side when everyone was available?

3 hours ago, DeeCee said:

Has anyone seen Gladwin play?

Yes a big dolloper, nothing to see there, move him on.

Yet another injured player who ends up on a contract at Ewood when no one else would probably take a punt on him in similar fashion............

Lot of rebuilding needed in the summer. I wonder if we would need to sell Dack to do it?

At least that way we wouldn't be locked into playing one up top.

Anyway, Leutwiler, Williams, Downing, Gladwin, and Conway can all go.

I'd keep Evans, as his longer contract will make him harder to shift. We can dump Smallwood on a L1 club.

Need a new goalie, at least two centre-backs, left-back, centre-mid, winger and a striker.

I'd renew Reed's loan or try a cut-price deal, otherwise pass.

Fan of Rodwell but he's only here as a makeshift CB and those stop-start injuries are no good for continuity.

5 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Graham wouldnt be in your best side when everyone was available?

Think next season he will play less , I am sure a new striker will come in over the summer 

14 minutes ago, Amo said:

Lot of rebuilding needed in the summer. I wonder if we would need to sell Dack to do it?

At least that way we wouldn't be locked into playing one up top.

Anyway, Leutwiler, Williams, Downing, Gladwin, and Conway can all go.

I'd keep Evans, as his longer contract will make him harder to shift. We can dump Smallwood on a L1 club.

Need a new goalie, at least two centre-backs, left-back, centre-mid, winger and a striker.

I'd renew Reed's loan or try a cut-price deal, otherwise pass.

Fan of Rodwell but he's only here as a makeshift CB and those stop-start injuries are no good for continuity.

"Being locked into playing one up front" is totally deceptive in that Dack is essentially a second striker and directly contributes to goals with regularity.

Selling him would be a massive backward step no matter how you look at it.

If we played Armstrong or Brereton with Graham instead of Dack, that would give us 2 up front. Would that make us more attacking or threatening? No.

• Like 1

Conway will be gone, despite him scoring more goals than Bennett, Evans, Smallwood and Rothwell combined who have been on the field for 10x longer. Graham had to earn his contract extension for next year, and has done so in style.

The conundrums are the internationals Evans, Williams and Mulgrew who were all awarded generous new contracts. My only explanation for this is that it must’ve been part of Mowbray’s negotiations persuading them to stay after we went down: “stay and help us back up, and I’ll look after you if we do go up”. Williams I never want to see ever again; Evans CAN do a job when it suits him; Mulgrew I’d use as a supersub, special teams kicker for the last 20 mins.

Raya I think got derailed by being rushed back from the kick in the mush. For his sake and ours we need a new solid #1 with a year or two left in him.

• Like 1

Don't be surprised if Conways regular involvement between now and the end of the season triggers another year, just saying....

Don't mind him knocking around the place to be honest he might make a decent coach and there are others i'd replace first as he isn't really first team starter material.

Imagine Allardyce with Mulgrew ?  He'd certainly make him earn his corn he'd take every single corner, free kick etc ?

Edited by tomphil

How hopeless a signing has gladwin been, dont recall him as a player for us at all.

id be open to selling dack to fund a massive overhaul, like him but massive changes needed so might have to be a sacrifice. Does tend to go missing also 

rodwell is a no from me if he is a defender, doesn’t fill me with confidence in the position and injury questions too.

mulgrew can be shipped off to Aberdeen to finish his career

I've only seen Dack over Christmas and New Year of this season and wasn't overly impressed. Obviously, that's a very small window on his Ewood career and regulars tell me he's special. There was talk of a fee north of 20m if he went which seemed very optimistic. Is that sort of fee (or a fee that might fund a rebuild) still seen as being realistic? 

Selling Dack is a no for me. We've seen what happens with this mob when we sell a star player with a view to reinvesting the proceeds. It doesn't happen and we end up even weaker. Even if we could reinvest the proceeds I'm not confident in adequately replacing him even with more than ten million.

IF Venkys came up with a budget like last summer that Should be enough to get the necessary business done with some shrewd signings. If it's less than last year or they start inserting caveats or drop the budget late on in the summer unexpectedly then it will be doomed to fail.

• Like 3

Surprised by how many want Downing gone. He's probably one of the better defenders contracted to the club right now unbelievably.

I want Gladwin and Williams gone and reluctantly would allow Smallwood and Conway to go. The rest can stay because without squad depth we won't last very long in this league. A clear out is only good if you have x amount to reinvest.

Over the next few years if our team is likely to progress we will see the likes of Downing, Bennett, Bell, Graham, Mulgrew and Evans go. It shouldn't be a rushed thing though.

As a side note despite some impressive early performances I wouldn't be overly bothered if Rodwell went in the summer. He's not a central defender.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Selling Dack is a no for me. We've seen what happens with this mob when we sell a star player with a view to reinvesting the proceeds. It doesn't happen and we end up even weaker. Even if we could reinvest the proceeds I'm not confident in adequately replacing him even with more than ten million.

IF Venkys came up with a budget like last summer that Should be enough to get the necessary business done with some shrewd signings. If it's less than last year or they start inserting caveats or drop the budget late on in the summer unexpectedly then it will be doomed to fail.

Nothing wrong with the budget, just the players we bought with it.

Downing being one of the better defenders at the club says more about the club than Downing. He was a good header of the ball bit I've seen milk turn quicker. There's a reason only L1 clubs wanted him. Rodwell is shit in other ways and Mulgrew has just detiorated rapidly this season (or been exposed in a higher division). 

• Like 2