BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Big Summer Clearout

4 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Surprised by how many want Downing gone. He's probably one of the better defenders contracted to the club right now unbelievably.

I want Gladwin and Williams gone and reluctantly would allow Smallwood and Conway to go. The rest can stay because without squad depth we won't last very long in this league. A clear out is only good if you have x amount to reinvest.

Over the next few years if our team is likely to progress we will see the likes of Downing, Bennett, Bell, Graham, Mulgrew and Evans go. It shouldn't be a rushed thing though.

As a side note despite some impressive early performances I wouldn't be overly bothered if Rodwell went in the summer. He's not a central defender.

Agreed on most of it although I think Evans will be here and be starting as long as he wants he's another who outlives every manager and is almost guaranteed a place.

I'm amazed at the amount who think there'll be a mass clear out there absolutely won't most of the faces from this season will make up the starting 11 next so spot on recruitment and a bit of investment is crucial this summer.

Anybody who Mowbray has signed will be here till their contracts expire and at some point will probably be given opportunities to earn another it's how he works.

I don't think LB will be changed after giving Williams a new deal, him making the breakthrough to the Ireland squad and Bell being signed by Mowbray only 12 months ago.

I don't think RB will be significantly changed as Mowbray will keep Nyambe there with someone else filling in as and when.

I can see 1 new CB being signed, probably to replace Rodwell/Downing when their contracts expire.

I can see another 2-3 midfielders. One to replace Reed, one to replace Conway.

I can see a new CF however I can't see significant funds being spent on that area as Venkys will expect Graham, Brereton, Armstrong and Nuttall to all be sufficient for the job.

So there's probably 5 new players with the same going out again. Wages wise we'll probably stand still.

I would keep Rodwell providing the wages are low. Hes a good footballer who could fill in CM or CB. Not sure he will want to stay as backup. Its also hard to get rid of Mulgrew given he gives you at least 10 goals a season. He is physically declining however, Id keep him as a squad player. 

There are players in the squad who are not good enough now and never will be. They need moving out and replacing in a sustainable way that doesnt get us into a financial mess (well more of).  

This summer - Samuel, Gladwin, Conway, WILLIAMS (1st out the door), Downing

Longer term - Mulgrew, Bennett, Graham (will be retiring in 2-3 years), Bell, Evans, Smallwood

I think Dack will be off to a promotion chasing champ or lower prem team in summer so he will need replacing effectively. 

I am worried for next season. Mowbray needs a plan...

Edited by benhben

Mulgrew, Bell, Williams, Raya and Rodwell have all got a mistake in them that could easily cost a goal and often does. This happens practically every game for at least one of them and normally 2 or 3 of them. You just can't have those types of players at a football club if you want to progress. 

All the above will have spells where they play well (relatively) but none can be relied on. I really don't see them leaving though. Mowbray likes a 'footballing' defender because he thinks he plays progressive, modern, attractive football. He doesn't, but it means a few of the above will be here next season and in the 1st team. When it goes tits up again, as it always will with players like those in your team, Mowbray will publicly rue not buying a big shithouse of a CB.  He'll not really mean it because he keeps saying the same thing and doing the opposite but it will buy him more time with the gullible - 'this summer he'll sort it - he needs more time' etc etc. 

Mowbray Out in the BIg Summer Clear Out.

46 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Surprised by how many want Downing gone. He's probably one of the better defenders contracted to the club right now unbelievably.

Downing is rubbish. Absence makes the heart grows fonder.

We should never have let him go and he's clearly a better option than Williams but he isn't a championship player.

• Like 1

Just now, BlackburnEnd75 said:

Downing is rubbish. Absence makes the heart grows fonder.

We should never have let him go and he's clearly a better option than Williams but he isn't a championship player.

I wouldn't say he is rubbish. I'd hazard a bet that whilst he has been in a Rovers shirt we have kept far more clean sheets with him than without him. I don't think he's suited to this level but he's better than some of the other shite we have playing in that position. At least he is an out and out centre half unlike our other options!!

Downing will inevitably leave eventually but I'd certainly keep him as back up for the next season whilst shipping Rodwell either into midfield or out the club.

If Mulgrew didn't have goals in him he would be gone for me too. Far too nonchalant as a centre half for my liking. The ball bounces every time when he's in there and he lacks pace and strength to recover from mistakes. In a ruthless mind set I'd ship Mulgrew out too.

Downing is a League One player. A good pro who was reliable for us last season in League One but that's his level and good luck to him. He wants to play football and has ended up with Doncaster Rovers. Previously at Walsall and MK Dons. There's a difference between him being around the place to step in when we're short on numbers and not let us down and then him being a competent Championship CB for 180-270 minutes a week.

Of course it was lunacy to allow him to leave on loan given the lack of experienced alternatives but that's another argument. Ideally we'd have 2-3 proper Championship CBs.

• Like 2

Just now, Dreams of 1995 said:

I wouldn't say he is rubbish. I'd hazard a bet that whilst he has been in a Rovers shirt we have kept far more clean sheets with him than without him. I don't think he's suited to this level but he's better than some of the other shite we have playing in that position. At least he is an out and out centre half unlike our other options!!

Downing will inevitably leave eventually but I'd certainly keep him as back up for the next season whilst shipping Rodwell either into midfield or out the club.

If Mulgrew didn't have goals in him he would be gone for me too. Far too nonchalant as a centre half for my liking. The ball bounces every time when he's in there and he lacks pace and strength to recover from mistakes. In a ruthless mind set I'd ship Mulgrew out too.

Kept more cleans sheets because 95% of his appearances were at league 1 level. I think he's better than Williams but not better than Lenihan, Mulgrew or Rodwell.

Of the out of contract players I don't see any future for Downing, Gladwin or Conway. Leutwiler it's hard to judge as I have only seen him play twice but has looked perfectly able, I would like to see him given some games between now and the end of the season to make a better judgement. Rodwell I wouldn't be keeping to play centre back in a 2, I'd like to see him as part of a back 3 or in central midfield to see if he has a future in one of those roles which I think would suit him better.

I don't see Samuel as someone who is going to come back and improve the team given that he hardly set League 1 alight and he has been out for nearly a year. I'd take a look at Nuttall and Brereton during pre season and loan whichever the one that look's least effective out and keep the other as a 3/4 choice striker.

Of the current first teamer regulars Williams should be gone he's been given plenty of chances this season but nearly every game has let us down. Smallwood is not up to this level, Bennett a jack of all trades master of none it doesn't seem to matter what position he plays he is ineffective, if we want to progress then we need better than these two who served us well last season but have been found wanting at a higher level this season. Bell I would get rid of if the intention is to play a back 4 next season but if we are going to play 5 at the back then I would keep him as back up.

Mulgrew and Evans were two other I considered but I would keep them as back up on the bench unless the budget is big enough to bring players into replace those, which I doubt it will.

Edited by Ewood Ace

• Moderation Lead

Whilst he doesn't get into our best Starting XI, he can play in a few positions, so for his versatility alone, he's worth keeping around for me is Bennett.

• Like 1

There aren't that many that I'm too eager to see the back of if we don't have to. We need a few key additions to progress, certainly, but there are plenty that have shown themselves to be good squad players, capable of playing in a team that can get results. Trouble is, we have too many, and now it seems to have caught up with us.

We definitely need to bring in another centre half and centre forward imo, so I'd let Downing get first team football elsewhere, only take Rodwell on a modest wage and, whilst I really feel for the lad, don't think Samuel will do himself any favours fighting for a spot on the bench. Nuttall I'd look to loan to a L1 club, but don't see any urgency to get rid. Conway has just about been worth his low-risk extension this year, but I'd be concerned if we were looking to him to play a significant role next year, so should probably go as much as he's been a great servant. Hasn't worked out for Gladwin, and another keeper to compete with Raya instead of Luetwiler seems sensible. 

Other than that, I'd be more than happy to keep anyone who wants to fight for their place.

People have spoken about "the holiday camp mentality" on here and I think it's essential we break up the cartel of Tony's trusted lieutenants who seemingly by TM's own admission seem to more or less run the gaff (whilst underperforming week in week out).

Highest on the list are Conway who should never have been handed a new deal, Williams who is so bad it's almost like a spoof, and Evans and Bennett who have been s***e almost from the moment they joined the Club but who keep getting picked irrespective of performance.

I wouldn't be at all upset either if Mulgrew and Smallwood narrowly failed to make the cut. Mulgrew has been great for us but appears to have declined markedly very quickly and even at his best has never been a particularly good Championship defender, he just gets a free pass because of his goals. Smallwood I like as unlike Evans he's got a bit of grit and determination but he's not going to push us to the next level.

Graham in my view isn't good enough as main striker and imo a lot next season  will ride on whether we're willing to replace him as doing so will be very expensive and if we are how much we're willing to spend as top strikers at this level can now command £10m plus. He could probably do a job as back up striker or coming on for 25-30 minutes though.

There are obviously others who probably won't make the grade like Samuel and Gladwin.

That's potentially nine players out right there. Do I think anything remotely approaching that will occur? Not under TM. He'll probably not give Conway a new deal then talk emotively about how heart wrenching it was to have to let him go and that will be it.

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

People have spoken about "the holiday camp mentality" on here and I think it's essential we break up the cartel of Tony's trusted lieutenants who seemingly by TM's own admission seem to more or less run the gaff (whilst underperforming week in week out).

Highest on the list are Conway who should never have been handed a new deal, Williams who is so bad it's almost like a spoof, and Evans and Bennett who have been s***e almost from the moment they joined the Club but who keep getting picked irrespective of performance.

I wouldn't be at all upset either if Mulgrew and Smallwood narrowly failed to make the cut. Mulgrew has been great for us but appears to have declined markedly very quickly and even at his best has never been a particularly good Championship defender, he just gets a free pass because of his goals. Smallwood I like as unlike Evans he's got a bit of grit and determination but he's not going to push us to the next level.

Graham in my view isn't good enough as main striker and imo a lot next season  will ride on whether we're willing to replace him as doing so will be very expensive and if we are how much we're willing to spend as top strikers at this level can now command £10m plus. He could probably do a job as back up striker or coming on for 25-30 minutes though.

There are obviously others who probably won't make the grade like Samuel and Gladwin.

That's potentially nine players out right there. Do I think anything remotely approaching that will occur? Not under TM. He'll probably not give Conway a new deal then talk emotively about how heart wrenching it was to have to let him go and that will be it.

And the rest RevidgeBlue. We just £7m on a young lad with a handful of appearances and goals. If they are paying that for Brereton imagine how much a player like Che Adams or Billy Sharp is worth in their eyes!?

Bennett is worth keeping for versatility and athleticism, in a well drilled team I think he could be effective, unfortunately we aren’t at the moment. 

Raya needs bumped to backup and a more reliable keeper brought in. 

Nyambe is the only defender I’m currently 100% content with in his position. Lenihan could probably progress with a component centre half beside him to teach him the role 

Midfield only dack, rothwell and chapman are competent in their roles ie being creative. Our enforcers are either too small, or too limited. 

Graham needs to be backup to a big statement of intent striker if we are to progress. 

Armstrong is a decent option against certain opposition that don’t like pace. 

Others I haven’t mentioned need moved on

• Like 1

9 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

Downing being one of the better defenders at the club says more about the club than Downing. He was a good header of the ball bit I've seen milk turn quicker. There's a reason only L1 clubs wanted him. Rodwell is shit in other ways and Mulgrew has just detiorated rapidly this season (or been exposed in a higher division). 

It’s a good point. He really didn’t pull up any trees but he’s better than Williams or Nyambe at CB.

Just now, Mattyblue said:

I think he is just playing a straight bat. Maybe even trying to peer into the mind of Mowbray.

What would be an interesting article would be for him to do a bit of research into the last time we made money out of a sale (that wasn’t ‘undisclosed’) and how many players have left the club since, for nothing or even paid off (the latter being a feature of Venkys disastrous tenure here).

9 hours ago, JHRover said:

I don't think LB will be changed after giving Williams a new deal, him making the breakthrough to the Ireland squad and Bell being signed by Mowbray only 12 months ago.

I don't think RB will be significantly changed as Mowbray will keep Nyambe there with someone else filling in as and when.

I can see 1 new CB being signed, probably to replace Rodwell/Downing when their contracts expire.

I can see another 2-3 midfielders. One to replace Reed, one to replace Conway.

I can see a new CF however I can't see significant funds being spent on that area as Venkys will expect Graham, Brereton, Armstrong and Nuttall to all be sufficient for the job.

So there's probably 5 new players with the same going out again. Wages wise we'll probably stand still.

Reading that has depressed me!

Bell and Nyambe are young enough that they could improve but they need a strong cb pairing and goalkeeper behind them. If I had a magic wand I’d replace Raya, Mulgrew and bench Lenihan but it seems that we are stuck with at least two of those for the foreseeable future.

We are only heading in one direction if Mowbray continues with several of these players because of a sense of loyalty or to save face over signings that aren’t cutting the mustard.

He does tend to stick with his players though. Of his permanent signings only Whittingham and Caddis, along with loanees Feeney and Ward, have left. We are persevering with the rest - or just waiting for their contracts to end.

We do pick up to bottom of the barrel players - even if Whittingham shouldn’t have been - and, curiously, nobody ever seems to leave because another club wants to sign them.

Off the out of contract players I would released Luetwiler, Downing, Gladwin. Undecided on Rodwell depending on his fitness and where he will play and how we are going to play, Conway undecided as his experience would be good and I would see him here as a coach aswell working with the under 23's with Johnson

I would also sell Williams, Smallwood, Samuel. 

I would deffo keep Bennett here 

Possible sell Nuttall if we get a good deal or if he wants more 1st team football and depending whether we get a new striker in. 

Not sure if we will be able to sign Reed up next season and also depends how Southampton want for him and what our budget is

Would I sell Dack? nope. not even for 20 million pounds. 

so next season squad

Keeper - Raya, new keeper, Fisher(depending if he given the chance to play 1st team football at league 2 club)

defender - Nyambe, Lenihan, Mulgrew, Bell, Possible Rodwell who could play both positions CB and CM), New Right back, centre back(maybe 2 if Wharton or Grayson leaves) new left back

Centre Midfielder- Travis, Evans, Davenport, Buckley, New Centre midfielder

Wide Players - Bennett, Rothwell, Chapman, Armstrong, new wide player

Striker - Graham, Dack, Brereton, new striker

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Off the out of contract players I would released Luetwiler, Downing, Gladwin. Undecided on Rodwell depending on his fitness and where he will play and how we are going to play, Conway undecided as his experience would be good and I would see him here as a coach aswell working with the under 23's with Johnson

Possible sell Nuttall if we get a good deal or if he wants more 1st team football and depending whether we get a new striker in. 

Not sure if we will be able to sign Reed up next season and also depends how Southampton want for him and what our budget is

so next season squad

Keeper - Raya, new keeper, Fisher(depending if he given the chance to play 1st team football at league 2 club)

defender - Nyambe, Lenihan, Mulgrew, Bell, Possible Rodwell who could play both positions CB and CM), New Right back, centre back(maybe 2 if Wharton or Grayson leaves) new left back

So basically a full new team? Hope we start off early then. In all honesty I think we'll be lucky to get 4 new players that the manager deems good enough quality to be first team starters.

I also think Rothwell will leave in the summer due to a lack of playing time.

8 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

so next season squad

You're brave if going with a midfield of Travis, Davenport and Buckley who between them have a handful of senior first team appearances. Davenport not exactly pulling up any trees in the reserves, Buckley only just had a cameo in the team.

• Like 1

Having survived this disastrous run in, Mowbray will have a career defining close season. Does he stick with what he has now or does his refresh his squad and rebuild?

Whatever he does he needs to look at his backroom staff as many of the problems he inherited still remain. Players are unfit so fitness coach required. Goalkeeper appears to have gone backwards so is a new keeper coach required? Need I go on?

Also he has to look at himself and ask himself where did I get it wrong? If he is being honest he'll be able to give several answers. 

If he does not look at these and put them right, it does not matter who he clears out or brings in. It will be just a repeat of this season probably with more dire consequences.

38 minutes ago, dingles staying down 4ever said:

Having survived this disastrous run in, Mowbray will have a career defining close season. Does he stick with what he has now or does his refresh his squad and rebuild?

Whatever he does he needs to look at his backroom staff as many of the problems he inherited still remain. Players are unfit so fitness coach required. Goalkeeper appears to have gone backwards so is a new keeper coach required? Need I go on?

Also he has to look at himself and ask himself where did I get it wrong? If he is being honest he'll be able to give several answers. 

If he does not look at these and put them right, it does not matter who he clears out or brings in. It will be just a repeat of this season probably with more dire consequences.

Can we get a new manager coach in?