BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Big Summer Clearout

I honestly think anyone expecting wholesale changes is going to be disappointed.

Williams, Mulgrew, Smallwood, Bennett, Evans, Samuel will all still be around the squad IMO, could possibly see loan moves for Smallwood/Samuel but nobody is paying a fee for any of that lot.

I think Dack will be sold, then hopefully Mowbray will bring in players ready to go into the first 11 next season, I'm not to hopeful though I have to admit.

• Like 1

I hope we see players brought in too the club in the Summer but with lastest news on loses i can't  see it . I wish somebody would buy the club but unfortunately it looks like where stuck with the Venkys

14 minutes ago, neophox said:

Hmm alot Said that Josh King should be sold 2015... look what happened after... If Samuel can return stronger after his injury i think he can prove us wrong. Also think Brereton will be a Big asset next season !

I’d keep Samuel. Lad worked his nuts off last summer then got crocked, deserves the summer at least.

I wonder if I and others would answer differently if we had a more competent manager at the helm? Evans and Williams excepted I reckon a good manager could get a tune out of most of our players. Admittedly not all would fit into their system and some shipped out due to this and bring average but I wonder if a canny manager could do more with what we have then we think? 

For example Mulgrew in a back 5 with Bell and another wing back might bring out the best in the players, or Smallwood alongside a passer/dynamic midfield partner pr Bennett in a role focussing on running. Maybe we have more decent pieces than we think for the right manager and system but with the wrong manager and a flawed system the average players are looking worse? Not saying big work isn't needed in the summer - I think it is - just thinking aloud or whatever the internet equivalent is whether such a clear out and rebuild would be needed with a more competent manager. 

1 hour ago, Blue blood said:

I wonder if I and others would answer differently if we had a more competent manager at the helm? Evans and Williams excepted I reckon a good manager could get a tune out of most of our players. Admittedly not all would fit into their system and some shipped out due to this and bring average but I wonder if a canny manager could do more with what we have then we think? 

For example Mulgrew in a back 5 with Bell and another wing back might bring out the best in the players, or Smallwood alongside a passer/dynamic midfield partner pr Bennett in a role focussing on running. Maybe we have more decent pieces than we think for the right manager and system but with the wrong manager and a flawed system the average players are looking worse? Not saying big work isn't needed in the summer - I think it is - just thinking aloud or whatever the internet equivalent is whether such a clear out and rebuild would be needed with a more competent manager. 

IMO Yes, A different manager with different tactics and a different mind set could have done ( and still could) a better job with this team.

Without all the tinkering and "square pegs in round holes" and attempting to play to other teams strengths we should be playing to our players and teams strengths. TM's worrying over cautious approach has worked massively against us this season and the trouble is he won't change.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Samuel and Josh King shouldn’t be uttered in the same sentence - like chalk and cheese. 

King has done so well and made the most out of his only asset. Pace.

An absolutely terrible finisher, woeful crosser, doesn't use his strength. But he was always positive and direct - so weirdly,  I actually really liked him ?

8 hours ago, jw_ said:

IMO Yes, A different manager with different tactics and a different mind set could have done ( and still could) a better job with this team.

Without all the tinkering and "square pegs in round holes" and attempting to play to other teams strengths we should be playing to our players and teams strengths. TM's worrying over cautious approach has worked massively against us this season and the trouble is he won't change.

I agree. Very Bowyer-esque.  By being cautious, chopping and changing, playing for draws, not adding a couple of quality players in January we've missed a trick - again. 

Add to that LOADS of shite individual errors.

45 minutes ago, Pedro said:

An absolutely terrible finisher, woeful crosser, doesn't use his strength. But he was always positive and direct - so weirdly,  I actually really liked him ?

I think those attributes you mention have got somewhat better since he left as he’s pretty much their talisman, Wilson aside. He’s got 11 this season already (40 odd in PL since he joined them!).

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!

1 hour ago, Pedro said:

Can't agree with you. Watched him recently and he was much better than that. Just as he was against then Premier League Swansea.

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, 47er said:

Can't agree with you. Watched him recently and he was much better than that. Just as he was against then Premier League Swansea.

Josh also destroyed Stoke in that cup run. Unfortunately when with us was never fit for an extended time. At Bournemouth seems to have managed those hamstring s better. Maybe down to a different training regime.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, neophox said:

Hmm alot Said that Josh King should be sold 2015... look what happened after... If Samuel can return stronger after his injury i think he can prove us wrong. Also think Brereton will be a Big asset next season !

You obviously haven't watched much of Samuel !

I hope he gets fit again but for me it's a case of prove yourself useful or pack up and go we need another goal threat upfront and he's a poor striker end of but there's always a place in the squad for a big grafter up front so he needs to become that.

Knowing Mowbray he'll pla him on the wing again then back slap him with a new contract.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jw_ said:

That's the way TM manages though so it won't change anytime soon he's just another 'modern' manager who doesn't seem to believe in horses for courses and plays his squad rather than best team week in week out.

2 hours ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

I think those attributes you mention have got somewhat better since he left as he’s pretty much their talisman, Wilson aside. He’s got 11 this season already (40 odd in PL since he joined them!).

He gets the chances to easily be a twenty odd goal a year striker. Like I said, I like him but he has massive flaws to his game.

3 hours ago, 47er said:

I remember reading an article in one of the national papers, when King had had a really good game for Norway against England. This was long before his FA cup exploits against Stoke. The journo was questioning how a player that good was unable to get into Bowyer's team. I think it was the beginning of Bowyer's last season.

I noted it because (in my armchair wisdom) I had formed the opinion that he was a headless chicken.

Was he just being played out of position to accommodate Rhodes?

Him and Rhodes played a few games together up front and did ok although I might be wrong but they could have both ended up 0-0 but they were a handful together with King being busy and pressing/chasing back.  I remember thinking it might be a decent partnership I think Rhodes dropped a little deeper with the plan probably being try and play King in where possible.  Didn't quite work but they linked up well Rhodes had his limitations but intelligence wise he was a good player.

King I just don't think his face fit here under GB and he was the one and only Berg signing although who brought him in and what kind of deal it was god only knows given the chaos of that period.  It's another in the odd file though for sure and despite his often non existent end product you'd have to be mad to constantly leave out that kind of pace and ability to go past people turning defence into attack and stretching the opposition.  There was so much there to work with.

Gaz though like Tony was always a bit terrified of that kind of flair when he had his plodding favs fit and available.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

The King situation was similar to the current situation with Rothwell, a player with a clear talent but had an overcautious manager who didn't know how to get the best out of him.

Have to disagree on that. With Rothwell (and I suspect we will be able to soon include Chapman in this category) he could be reasonably included without breaking up the only part of our team that you can argue works efficiently in Dack and Graham as a front 2. Mowbray however prefers to play at least one of Reed, Bennett and Conway who plod up and down (Reed admittedly out of position in his defence) who dont really offer any attacking threat (from open play in Reeds case) but seemingly arent doing much to stem our defensive issues either. Meanwhile Armstrong has almost monopolised the other side despite having far more poor games than good games this season. Indeed, I think he needs to play on the right where he is capable of simplifying his game as he showed v Ipswich and Brentford, running at his man at pace and playing crosses in. I would like to see in the last 8 games, 2 of Chapman, Rothwell and Armstrong down the wings and a bit more bravery in that area that has in the main underperformed this season, alas I dont expect to see it.

With Josh King, he is very much a striker, and ultimately no matter how good he is now, it doesnt the change the fact that it was impossible to justify breaking up a strikeforce that had 2 20 goal a season strikers in it. To be unable to get a top 6 position with two such consistent goalscorers is criminal.

• Like 2

This guy really enjoys his international breaks.

If we can get more that £10m for him - big ‘if’ - then I’d cash in. We’ve got Rothwell and Armstrong to fill in for the number 10 spot. We can use the cash on a new defence.

C84D5BD1-4DB2-497C-A193-0F1B8E610E4B.jpeg

5 hours ago, tomphil said:

You obviously haven't watched much of Samuel !

I hope he gets fit again but for me it's a case of prove yourself useful or pack up and go we need another goal threat upfront and he's a poor striker end of but there's always a place in the squad for a big grafter up front so he needs to become that.

Knowing Mowbray he'll pla him on the wing again then back slap him with a new contract.

Doesn’t matter anyway because Mowbray played him wide right for all the second half of last season.

• Like 1