BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Big Summer Clearout

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

3-4 quality players, at least, are needed. Good enough to go into the starting 11. I would say for that to happen a lot would have to change this summer compared to practically every other summer 

I'm trying to think of the recent occasions we have gone out into the market and signed ready made, proven Championship players who are able to go straight into the team. I suppose we had Danny Graham, although we rescued him from the scrapheap and had him on loan for 6 months to get him up to speed and settled in before we committed to a deal. Going back before then we had Evans, Cairney and Marshall but with apart from Evans none of them had really been playing regularly at their clubs and had become surplus to requirements, but after coming here and getting games went on to prove their worth. Duffy was another in this group. 

Not really many to be honest. Williams was struggling for games at Bristol City. Plenty of punts on inexperience or players from lower down the leagues. 

We're likely to need to change that approach if we're going to be sure of getting the quality needed this summer. Of course it can be done without experience but the likelihood diminishes. 

I'd personally be amazed if we ended up with 4 proven championship players in the summer that could walk straight into our team.

It just won't happen no matter what TM says between now and August 9th.

I predict we might get one on loan who has played a lot in the championship from somewhere, a couple of league one players (thinking Bauer etc), a couple of young players that we'll put on the bench for the season and give 5 minutes here and there too, and another premier league loan who has had spells in this league but hasn't really done it anywhere yet.

Edited by MarkBRFC
  • Like 4

Just now, MarkBRFC said:

I'd personally be amazed if we ended up with 4 proven championship players in the summer that could walk straight into our team.

It just won't happen no matter what TM says between now and August 9th.

I predict we might get one on loan who has played a lot in the championship from somewhere, a couple of league one players (thinking Bauer etc), a couple of young players that we'll put on the bench for the season and give 5 minutes here and there too, and another premier league loan who has had spells in this league but hasn't really done it anywhere yet.

We've had it all before and really the only time we've recruited very well was the 2013-14 season when we brought in Cairney, Marshall, Gestede, Evans and Conway in a couple of transfer windows.

Bauer will likely happen which will be seen to box off the CB issue. He'll replace Downing but probably on bigger wages which they will agree to in the absence of a transfer fee. Reed will be away so along with Palmer there'll be some leeway on wages to bring in a free/Premier League loan or two.

The question is will they make £7-8 million available for 2-3 quality signings actually in areas we need. I won't hold my breath.

• Backroom
7 hours ago, JHRover said:

The question is will they make £7-8 million available for 2-3 quality signings actually in areas we need. I won't hold my breath.

The problem is even if this kind of money was made available, I still wouldn't be very confident in TM spending it wisely. His transfer record is chequered at best.

• Like 2

Bowyer or someone advising then seemed to have a policy of looking at the benches of other ambitious Championship clubs and lower end Prem clubs.  They had to pay a bit of money and decent championship wages but it worked well to the extent we got some decent if inconsistent players more than capable of going straight into a starting 11.  It also paid huge dividends a few years later after they'd got plenty regular games under their belts in terms of sell on fees.

Of course we know what contributed to that policy not paying off in league position but i'm totally amazed at why it was abandoned in favour of more and more proven journeymen second & third tier plodders barring a few loan signings from higher up.

10 hours ago, tomphil said:

What the hell did Williams do to warrant a three year deal ?

Not like we are protecting an investment in that one. Who's his agent ?

That contract extension like others around together same time beggars belief. 

Rewarded for a promotion back to the same league, the same group of players got us relegated from. Mowbray also benefited in a similar way. 

Edited by AllRoverAsia
  • Like 1

Just now, AllRoverAsia said:

That contract extension like others around together same time beggars belief. 

Rewarded for a promotion back to the same league, the same group of players who got us relegated from. Mowbray also benefited in a similar way. 

Probably reflects TMs faith in him as a centre half as well as a left back ?

Given the uproar on here at Dack being photographed in a bar somewhere the other day, I recommend nobody on here buys OK Magazine as him and his bird have a 'piece' on them.

(And no, if anyone was wondering I don't buy OK Magazine, I've seen a photo of it)

22 hours ago, JHRover said:

(And no, if anyone was wondering I don't buy OK Magazine, I've seen a photo of it)

We believe you ;)

Anyway for those who don't have a weekly subscription to Ok magazine unlike JH Rover, here is the  the online version of the "article"

https://www.ok.co.uk/celebrity-news/1564745/olivia-attwood-bradley-dack-love-island-aftercare-adhd-itv

Edited by perthblue02
  • Like 1

Just now, perthblue02 said:

We believe you ;)

Anyway for those who don't have a weekly subscription to Ok magazine like JH Rover, here is the  the online version of the "article"

https://www.ok.co.uk/celebrity-news/1564745/olivia-attwood-bradley-dack-love-island-aftercare-adhd-itv

Aww so brave. ADHD. 

Just told my grandad to bin his Victoria cross medal. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Aww so brave. ADHD. 

Just told my grandad to bin his Victoria cross medal. 

So you know all about ADHD? 

My step son  has ADHD and it isn't good at times. Mental illness aint good to be around at all.

Edited by chaddyrovers
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

So you know all about ADHD? 

My step son  has ADHD and it isn't good at times. Mental illness aint good to be around at all.

Yeah that's the one that came about around the same time smacking stopped isn't it

3 hours ago, perthblue02 said:

We believe you ;)

Anyway for those who don't have a weekly subscription to Ok magazine unlike JH Rover, here is the  the online version of the "article"

Bradley looks like a serial killer from the 1970's. 

Edited by blueboy3333

Just now, Oldgregg86 said:

Actually I have more of a clue than you know. I have met and worked with many families supporting their children who have ADHD and your right it very hard for all concerned.

To many people use ADHD as an excuse and it does nothing to help the real people who are affected by it. 

Even if she does have it, calling her brave when she is clearly using it to sell magazines is a joke so she has managed to make a mockery of ADHD AND anyone who has been truly brave.

I'm very pleased that you have help people with ADHD and I welcome your knowledge. I know how it affected him and some days aren't good. 

My apologise for before by the way. 

we have to agree to disagree on her. 

7 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I'm very pleased that you have help people with ADHD and I welcome your knowledge. I know how it affected him and some days aren't good. 

My apologise for before by the way. 

we have to agree to disagree on her. 

No need I was on the wind up ?

Hope your all well

COYB

• Like 1