BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

European Championship Qualification.

To echo what others have said I do enjoy watching this group of young players. I always felt that in previous eras of “better” players they didn’t really give a toss about England and were all consumed by club rivalries. But whether it’s pride in playing for their country, playing for each other or not scarred by previous hideous failure this group seem to be different. 

That said I don’t expect us to win anything major it’s just nice watching a group of players who seem to have pride in the shirt. Far removed from toxic situation of Rooney swearing at fans at response to the fans getting on the players backs, etc.

As a side note noticeable booing of the black players. Had England fans done that expect hefty fine and talk of expulsion from every tournament under the sun. But with the double standards uefa they will no doubt dismiss it as well it’s the Balkans/Eastern Europe what do you expect and move on. 

• Like 2

Best display I have seen from an Ireland team in years last night, 4 or 5 wouldn't have flattered us. A breath of fresh air to see players trying to pass the ball. They had so much passing in them after being banned from doing so for the last few years. It was like prohibition had ended and everyone was getting drunk on passing. 

McGoldrick had some game. As good a target/hold up man performance as you will see. Better than Graham at it, but not as good a finisher.

I can see why Willliams is gone. Enda Stevens from Sheffield united started left back, a vast improvement on Williams in every imaginable way. 

Hendrick was class, as was Hourihane(scored practically an identical goal to the free against us). Duffy and Keogh solid at the back. Still bigger tests to come, but McCarthy has turned things around with minimum time with the squad. 10 days basically. Incredible.

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

What did you think of the tennis balls?

I think people are rightly annoyed about the FAI. There will need to be changes. 

When they started being thrown on I was really annoyed about the timing though, as was the majority of the stadium. Then we scored straight away, so it actually became epic as when the players were celebrating a few more ended up on the pitch and the players kicked them back whilst celebrating. I would say most if not all of the players undertand the fans frustrations. Now if we hadn't have scored immediately, or even worse if it led to the opposition scoring, it would have been viewed differently today. 

Duff is getting a bit of stick as he gave out about the fans at half time. He said what if 3 minutes are added and the opposition score at the end, which is a fair point. I think he should just have added that the supporters are rightly frustrated. 

On ‎25‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 21:27, matt83 said:

To echo what others have said I do enjoy watching this group of young players. I always felt that in previous eras of “better” players they didn’t really give a toss about England and were all consumed by club rivalries. But whether it’s pride in playing for their country, playing for each other or not scarred by previous hideous failure this group seem to be different. 

That said I don’t expect us to win anything major it’s just nice watching a group of players who seem to have pride in the shirt. Far removed from toxic situation of Rooney swearing at fans at response to the fans getting on the players backs, etc.

I agree. It has been a dramatic change. The "golden generation" were consumed with club rivalries that bled into the national team. The Man U lads geed up by Ferguson had no love for other clubs, then the Chelsea players were egged on in the same fashion by Mourinho, and it stuck with them too.

There is plenty to look forward to. The new crop are benefitting from playing at youth level together. Sancho and the like won youth tournaments with England, which was overseen by Southgate. He has managed to integrate that into the senior set up. I advocated for Allardyce to become England manager as he would have done a good job. But I doubt we would have seen Hudson-Odoi, Sancho, and Rashford playing for England regularly with him.

• 1 year later...

First post on this thread since March 2019, shows what a procession qualification has become for England in recent years.

Remember when there were far less and stronger European nations (I.e a strong USSR and Yugoslavia, instead of all the successor small nations) and smaller tournaments? It was a real nail biter to see if they’d qualify - those Poland games, Taylor’s meltdown in Rotterdam, the play off against Scotland, the draw in Rome for WC 98, Greece at Old Trafford, Wally with the Brolly etc.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

First post on this thread since March 2019, shows what a procession qualification has become for England in recent years.

Remember when there were far less and stronger European nations (I.e a strong USSR and Yugoslavia, instead of all the successor small nations) and smaller tournaments? It was a real nail biter to see if they’d qualify - those Poland games, Taylor’s meltdown in Rotterdam, the play off against Scotland, the draw in Rome for WC 98, Greece at Old Trafford, Wally with the Brolly etc.

The 8 group world cup is good but the expanded Euros has diluted competition. 

The international breaks are also annoying. It seems that there are too many and they last too long.

• Like 4

Serbia have to be the biggest underachievers in world football right now, they have players from Real Madrid and Inter and top clubs throughout Europe, but consistently fail to qualify for tournaments and now were knocked out by a team that until very recently was relying on Charlie Mulgrew in defense....

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Mr. E said:

Serbia were knocked out by a team that until very recently was relying on Charlie Mulgrew in defense....

Let's not forget that this is a team that grew up in a warzone in the 1990s. But they were still able to draw with Serbia.

Edited by oldjamfan1
  • Like 1