BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

European Championship Qualification.

Well Engerland are at it again, Against the CZE, as it says on the telly box.

First things first, there was a lovely tribute to Gordon Banks. And a very brief mention of Fred Pickering, but no photo......

I loved Banks, never saw Fred, but a bit more would have been nice.

The City little fellow has put us one nil up.

Onwards and upwards?

Thought we were sensational tonight. The two young wingers - Sancho and Hudson-Odoi - are cracking players to watch.

I look at this squad and genuinely think we will win something over the next six years or so. Much better than the so called "golden generation" because there is real depth coming through, and the players we have are a lot more versatile.

Southgate is doing a phenomenal job.

• Like 4

I thought the penalty and scoreline were harsh but what a joy to watch this England team is for an exile. Two teenagers pivotal in the 5th goal too. I haven't been this enthused about an England side since The Aussies got gubbed in the 2010/11 Ashes series.

Edited by deryck guyler's spoon
  • Like 1

I was a real critic of Southgate and Sterling, but I am brave enough to admit I was wrong. The former really has improved and learned from his brief club managerial career, and the latter has really matured as a player and a person. It may only be a mediocre Czech Republic team, but how many times have England had a lucky 2-1 win after a poor performance against such a team?

• Like 3

We owe a lot to Pep for Sterling's upturn in fortunes, as well of course as the man himself Southgate.

Pep's utilisation and treatment of Walker, Stones but in particular Sterling has changed the latter from a shy winger to one of if not the best goal scoring wide man in England. 

He's on the brink of joining Kane in the 'World Class' bracket.

In a way I quite like us not having too many "world class" players. If you have them there is a demand to play them, fit them in somewhere even if they don't quite fit together (see England at the 2006 world cup as a prime example). 

A lot of very good players will do me, with the ability to use them flexibly against different opposition. What I particularly like is that we went from a pretty successful 352 formation at the World Cup straight out into a totally new 433 in September which has pushed us onto another level. That change meant reassigning every role in the team back to front. Southgate and team are obviously continually re-thinking what's the best setup.

We probably now have 2 players who can play every position in that 433 system, and the only area that looks a bit weak is central defence. Everywhere else we look well stocked, and with more youth coming through also.

Obviously I wouldn't say no to an English Messi or Ronaldo, but if we keep on working the way we are - which is prioritising the team over individuals - I think it will keep us in good stead.

Edited by joey_big_nose
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

In a way I quite like us not having too many "world class" players. If you have them there is a demand to play them, fit them in somewhere even if they don't quite fit together (see England at the 2006 world cup as a prime example). 

A lot of very good players will do me, with the ability to use them flexibly against different opposition. What I particularly like is that we went from a pretty successful 352 formation at the World Cup straight out into a totally new 433 in September which has pushed us onto another level. That change meant reassigning every role in the team back to front. Southgate and team are obviously continually re-thinking what's the best setup.

We probably now have 2 players who can play every position in that 433 system, and the only area that looks a bit weak is central defence. Everywhere else we look well stocked, and with more youth coming through also.

Obviously I wouldn't say no to an English Messi or Ronaldo, but if we keep on working the way we are - which is prioritising the team over individuals - I think it will keep us in good stead.

Definitely agree. You could ask 100 people their preferred lineup and probably 6/7 players would differ from person to person.

Kane, Pickford, Stones, Walker and Sterling the only nailed on starters in my XI. Questions remain over all the other positions.

Dier or Rice? Or Henderson? Or 2 of them? Barkley? Alli or Lingard? Both? Sancho or Rashford? Both? Maguire or Gomez? Chilwell or Shaw? Nothing but healthy competition everywhere.

12 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

Definitely agree. You could ask 100 people their preferred lineup and probably 6/7 players would differ from person to person.

Kane, Pickford, Stones, Walker and Sterling the only nailed on starters in my XI. Questions remain over all the other positions.

Dier or Rice? Or Henderson? Or 2 of them? Barkley? Alli or Lingard? Both? Sancho or Rashford? Both? Maguire or Gomez? Chilwell or Shaw? Nothing but healthy competition everywhere.

Aligned with all of that. I'd also say Walker is probably at risk as we have Trippier and Alexander Arnold  who play right back, and Walker has looked a bit dodgy on the defensive side, and lacks the quality of crossing that the other two have.

Probably best team we have imo is as follows : 

-------------------------Pickford

Trippier------Stones-----Maguire-----Chilwell

-----Henderson------Dier---------Alli

---------Sterling------Kane------Rashford

Squad :  Butland, Alexander Arnold,Rose, Shaw, Walker, Gomez, Rice, Barkley, Lingard, Sancho, Hudson-Odoi, Wilson  

On paper that team looks workmanlinke in midfield and soft in the centre of defence, but it works really bloody well as everyone works their nuts off and can  inter change positions. On top of that we very rarely give the ball away, and we have three players in Kane, Rashford and Stirling who will score a lot of goals. Then you can throw on the likes of Sancho and Hudson-Odoi to give the opposition something completely different to think about.

Edited by joey_big_nose

For the first time in a long time i'm enjoying watching England play,plenty of good young players coming through at the same time should make the next 5/10 years exiting as and England fan.Southgate just fell into the job as there was no one else out there that stood out to take the job but hes made the job look easy so far.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Proudtobeblue&white said:

Another impressive result.

Trouble is we always do well in qualifying but you can’t help but think that Southgate is instilling a real belief in this squad. There are no real stars just a group who are working hard as a team.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

Trouble is we always do well in qualifying but you can’t help but think that Southgate is instilling a real belief in this squad. There are no real stars just a group who are working hard as a team.

We dont normally do well in Montenegro,  it's a bit like Milwall apparently....today was emphatic with a reserve team.

CHO looks the real deal to me. Only just gone 18 really.

Fun and exciting to watch England again, but the abhorrent racist abuse will probably overshadow a good performance.

Fair play, as usual, to Sterling for calling it out.

Turning into a leader that lad. ?