BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers away at Villa this Saturday: 30th March - KO - 3pm

Just now, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

You bloody love Bennett don’t you Chaddy. Take away his sterling social media work and he’s had one mediocre season along with the rest (bar Graham and Travis).

The fact that Bennett has been practically an ever present in the team this season in all sorts of positions tells you all you need to know really. He's not particularly good enough in any of them. The lad is handy to have on the bench but that's as far as it should go for me.

The team owes us a committed performance irrespective of the result. I never went into a game were I couldn't see my team winning as a player. Let's see some backbone Rovers, Villa will be thinking the 3 points are in the bag, let's make them earn the points !

• Like 2

Just now, rovers11 said:

I can't see anything other than a comfortable Villa win here. They're going for the play-offs and were in mid-table and nothing to play for, so they'll be more fired up that us. Add our defensive weakness into the mix and them having the best striker in the league, it could be a tricky afternoon. 

4-1 Villa. 

I don't get this nothing to play for talk. When you cross that white line you have pride in your ability, self respect, respect for your team mates and the shirt you're wearing, desire, determination all to play for,  not to mention winning bonus. Winners don't ever have a nothing to play for attitude. Not even in friendly games.

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I don't get this nothing to play for talk. When you cross that white line you have pride in your ability, self respect, respect for your team mates and the shirt you're wearing, desire, determination all to play for,  not to mention winning bonus. Winners don't ever have a nothing to play for attitude. Not even in friendly games.

Agree in principle. But for me it's more a case of they have more to play for, not a case of us having nothing to play for. It isn't a case of two teams in the same situation, they simply have more on the line than us hence it's tough to match their yardage. 

Villa are one of a few teams fighting for the 2 last play offs spots with not many games left. They're in 6th at the moment and can make it 5 wins on the bounce & a step closer to the play offs and ultimately the Premier League. Even if we're fired up to right some wrongs & play out of our skin it'll still be very tough to match up to their momentum and mentality. Different if we were playing say Stoke or Swansea.

That said, we are capable of pulling off an underdog performance in front of a full crowd, using it to our advantage. I'll be there, in hope more than expectation but you never know with Rovers!

45 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

That should be the case but, in reality, it's often the team that has more to play for that will show more fight and determination. As the summer holidays approach, players have one eye on not picking up injuries etc as they don't want their summer holidays to be confined to rehab rather than sunning themselves in Barbados!

If a team has more to play for and has superior players, that's when it can get very tricky. 

2 hours ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

You bloody love Bennett don’t you Chaddy. Take away his sterling social media work and he’s had one mediocre season along with the rest (bar Graham and Travis).

I dont agree. I think Dack, Armstrong and Evans have had good parts and bad parts just like Danny Graham. 

I think he has been decent. 

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

I dont agree. I think Dack, Armstrong and Evans have had good parts and bad parts just like Danny Graham. 

I think he has been decent. 

Bennet is the problem, Chaddy.  His type, like Jason Lowe, first in training etc, pal of the manager....but in the end, will get you relegated from this level.  Like last time...Bennett was a major part of relegation 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Bennet is the problem, Chaddy.  His type, like Jason Lowe, first in training etc, pal of the manager....but in the end, will get you relegated from this level.  Like last time...Bennett was a major part of relegation 

This feels harsh. Bennett only made 17 starts and 7 sub appearances the year we went down, and I remember almost everyone saying ''where has he been all season?'' as he was largely frozen out by 0wen C.

Bennett in 16/17 

17 starts 7 sub

3 League Goals [Same as Mulgrew, Emnes and Joao]

1 League assists

A major part of relegation (in my opinion) was the lack of a defence, a poor goalkeeper for most of the year (Steele), bad attitudes from several players (Emnes, Joao) but primarily the lack of leadership from 0wen C, the sale of Hanley, Duffy, Marshall and the poor quality of players signed (Samuelsen, Byrne, Stokes, Brown, Greer, Feeney).

Bennett wouldn't figure much in any 'Relegation blame' in my opinion.

Edited by rog of the rovers
  • Like 3

Bennetts best spell under Mowbray was that first half season and that was because at that time his work rate and desire was an attribute in itself in that it wasnt a given, there were questions at that time about effort and he stood out because he wad obviously putting it in. He also scored 3 league goals, a figure he has only just matched in nearly 2 seasons which is unacceptable.

Whilst I have many misgivings about Mowbray at the moment, I dont question that there seems to be a harmony and that the effort is there. However that renders Bennetts main asset to be nothing out of the ordinary. You need to have quality as well as effort to justify a place.

I dont think he was good enough last season in terms of his attacking contribution in a poorer league, especially in the first half of the season as a winger. I dont think hes been good enough this season either. His character alone shouldnt allow him to be the first name on the team sheet.

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Bennetts best spell under Mowbray was that first half season and that was because at that time his work rate and desire was an attribute in itself in that it wasnt a given, there were questions at that time about effort and he stood out because he wad obviously putting it in. He also scored 3 league goals, a figure he has only just matched in nearly 2 seasons which is unacceptable.

Whilst I have many misgivings about Mowbray at the moment, I dont question that there seems to be a harmony and that the effort is there. However that renders Bennetts main asset to be nothing out of the ordinary. You need to have quality as well as effort to justify a place.

I dont think he was good enough last season in terms of his attacking contribution in a poorer league, especially in the first half of the season as a winger. I dont think hes been good enough this season either. His character alone shouldnt allow him to be the first name on the team sheet.

This season he has the same assists as Armstrong and Graham. He has played the majority of the season as full back/wing back

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

This season he has the same assists as Armstrong and Graham. He has played the majority of the season as full back/wing back

forget stats, have a look in front of your eyes, he's not up to the championship.  He never has been from what I've seen. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

forget stats, have a look in front of your eyes, he's not up to the championship.  He never has been from what I've seen. 

I do pal and he is more than good enough at this level. 

Wonder why you say " Forget Stats" cos it proves you wrong

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Graham is a striker so its a bizarre comparison, Graham has 13 goals. Bennett one.

Armstrong again has contributed to more goals because he has directly scored more than Bennett, but I have said that for me Armstrong has been underwhelming (in a way his performances this season sum up us as a whole) and he hasnt contributed to enough goals.

5 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Graham is a striker so its a bizarre comparison, Graham has 13 goals. Bennett one.

Armstrong again has contributed to more goals because he has directly scored more than Bennett, but I have said that for me Armstrong has been underwhelming (in a way his performances this season sum up us as a whole) and he hasnt contributed to enough goals.

A Full Back/Wing back(majority of the season) having the same assist as our main striker is a good one personal..

Armstrong has played wide but still has 8 goals and 5 assists is decent/good enough season stats wise. But he could/should be doing better. 

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

A Full Back/Wing back(majority of the season) having the same assist as our main striker is a good one personal..

Armstrong has played wide but still has 8 goals and 5 assists is decent/good enough season stats wise. But he could/should be doing better. 

How can it be good enough AND he should be doing better? Has 8 goals but only 4 in the league. 

Graham has contributed to 12 more goals (same assists but 13 goals to 1) so its a flimsy argument!

Just now, roversfan99 said:

How can it be good enough AND he should be doing better? Has 8 goals but only 4 in the league. 

Graham has contributed to 12 more goals (same assists but 13 goals to 1) so its a flimsy argument!

Re read what I wrote roversfan99

So a striker should compare to a full back

Edited by chaddyrovers

1 minute ago, Sparks Rover said:

Yes, if you want to be a relegation candidate or bottom half.  Don't you want to get better?  We need to lose players like him I'm afraid even if he is a nice chap.

Havent I said what my ambition are for the future or do I need to keep posting this every day

'kin ell!! Away from the forum for a few weeks, but get back to this 'my willie is bigger than your willie' shite and drivel again, rather than reasonable and insightful commentary on matters relevant to the team we love....For information, my willie is much bigger than all your willies combined, as I am the biggest dick ever to swing on to these pages. Now that we have sorted that, can we get back to discussions about the Rovers and our chances of avoiding a complete dicking tomorrow?

• Like 1

Just now, WIR Second Coming said:

'kin ell!! Away from the forum for a few weeks, but get back to this 'my willie is bigger than your willie' shite and drivel again, rather than reasonable and insightful commentary on matters relevant to the team we love....For information, my willie is much bigger than all your willies combined, as I am the biggest dick ever to swing on to these pages. Now that we have sorted that, can we get back to discussions about the Rovers and our chances of avoiding a complete dicking tomorrow?

My Willie's thicker