BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers away at Villa this Saturday: 30th March - KO - 3pm

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

We still rely on the same team that came second in league 1 last year. 

As for Mulgrew. I said it once and I'll say it again, if only it was like american football and we could bring him on for set pieces. Not a great defender. 

Already, before the end of March, we have conceded only 3 goals less than the relegation season. I bet we beat that record too.

Too many of those defenders are still here!

Just back from Villa. Here's a statement I never thought I would utter. I was quite impressed with Brereton when he came on.  I thought that the linesman in front of us had a nightmare. For the first goal at the original ball into the box. the player looked a yard offside to me, ( I maybe wrong). But what I do know is that the linesman was ten yards behind play and could not have given the decision anyway. The rest of his match went down hill from there. If we had gotten anything from the game it would have been robbery. The only positive thing I took from the game was that we looked better after our three subs came on. Imari Bell is the softest defender I have ever seen in a challenge, decent wingers must love playing against him as they know they will not be taking any whacks. 

Just now, Leonard Venkhater said:

Already, before the end of March, we have conceded only 3 goals less than the relegation season. I bet we beat that record too.

You keep calling them defenders. I have seen nothing that proves that they are.

• Like 1

Just now, rigger said:

Just back from Villa. Here's a statement I never thought I would utter. I was quite impressed with Brereton when he came on.  I thought that the linesman in front of us had a nightmare. For the first goal at the original ball into the box. the player looked a yard offside to me, ( I maybe wrong). But what I do know is that the linesman was ten yards behind play and could not have given the decision anyway. The rest of his match went down hill from there. If we had gotten anything from the game it would have been robbery. The only positive thing I took from the game was that we looked better after our three subs came on. Imari Bell is the softest defender I have ever seen in a challenge, decent wingers must love playing against him as they know they will not be taking any whacks. 

With the possible exception of Lenehan none of our defenders are likely to put a boot in.  

4 minutes ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

And that was with the likes of Elliot Ward in the mix too. Jesus Chris our defence has been awful for far, far too long.

Another slow start which has become the norm meant that pretty much we had given ourselves a mountain to climb and in truth I reckon most of us envisaged a drubbing. A combination of poor finishing and slack play meant we went in at half-time only one down when in reality Villa should have been out of sight. Bennett was as poor as I have seen him in this period and I was amazed he came out for the second half as he was getting close to red card. It was the change of Bennett for Reed which I thought swung the game our way. We changed to a diamond and suddenly took control of the midfield when previously McGinn had the freedom of Villa Park. Quite simply Mowbray got his selection and tactics wrong here. Brereton and Rothwell looked decent as we ran at Villa and suddenly they looked shaky. Armstrong missed a dolly but his overall game I thought was poor. Dack and Graham were starved of decent service and Dacks frustration was apparent as he dropped deeper and deeper. I thought Lenihan looked rusty early on but got better.

A real source of frustration and anger to me occurred late on when we were looking to equalise. We got a free kick midway in our own half and I expected the centre halves to go up and Raya to launch it into the Villa box. Instead Lenihan knocked it back to Mulgrew and twenty or so passes later without really crossing the halfway line the ball was back with Raga. This and the unwillingness to cross the ball during this period was baffling and bloody annoying.

The bottom line however is that its another defeat and Mowbray has to feel under pressure now as more and more questions are being asked of his tactics and team selection.

• Like 3

Just now, arbitro said:

A real source of frustration and anger to me occurred late on when we were looking to equalise. We got a free kick midway in our own half and I expected the centre halves to go up and Raya to launch it into the Villa box. Instead Lenihan knocked it back to Mulgrew and twenty or so passes later without really crossing the halfway line the ball was back with Raga. This and the unwillingness to cross the ball during this period was baffling and bloody annoying.

It’s always been the case under Mowbray. How many last minute equalisers/winners have we given up vs. won ourselves? The stats would be galling. I can recall countless times this season where we’ve been 1 behind and barely threatened the opponents box - let alone goal - in the closing stages. As per today, the norm is to play like crabs across the back line, showing no urgency whatsoever. It comes down to rank bad management for me and points yet again to TM’s negative attitude.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!
  • Like 1

Familiar disappointment again today coming away after watching stagnant Rovers lose yet again under a manager who the time has come to change.

All the senior defenders back, and we conceded in less than 10 minutes, so no excuses.

4 points in 10 games is much more than a blip, the trajectory of our season is very worrying, feels like the end of the road.

Notable that the team we started with had no players not here last season. And some think Mowbray should be trusted with another summers recruitment?

Bennett was a stand out in having a shocker, he is the new Jason Lowe and people are realising this now. Mowbray picks 10 players and puts Bennett in the position that is left, it is a joke because he doesnt seem to do a competent job in any of the positions. And what are we going to learn from playing an over the hill Conway?

The excuse Mowbray uses for not picking Rothwell and before him Chapman, a lack of defensive cover is a load of bollocks, Armstrong provides none either and was again poor but has an automatic place.

And a nice mention for a pathetic Brereton dive in front of the touchline in front of the Rovers fans!

• Like 3

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Familiar disappointment again today coming away after watching stagnant Rovers lose yet again under a manager who the time has come to change.

All the senior defenders back, and we conceded in less than 10 minutes, so no excuses.

4 points in 10 games is much more than a blip, the trajectory of our season is very worrying, feels like the end of the road.

Notable that the team we started with had no players not here last season. And some think Mowbray should be trusted with another summers recruitment?

Bennett was a stand out in having a shocker, he is the new Jason Lowe and people are realising this now. Mowbray picks 10 players and puts Bennett in the position that is left, it is a joke because he doesnt seem to do a competent job in any of the positions. And what are we going to learn from playing an over the hill Conway?

The excuse Mowbray uses for not picking Rothwell and before him Chapman, a lack of defensive cover is a load of bollocks, Armstrong provides none either and was again poor but has an automatic place.

And a nice mention for a pathetic Brereton dive in front of the touchline in front of the Rovers fans!

Very good point on Armstrong. Him playing goes against every reason Mowbray gives for not playing Rothwell or Chapman. He is so lazy when it comes to the defensive stuff, yet Mowbray loves him because he did the business for him with Coventry. 

As for Bennett, centre midfield today is just comical. Will he be in goals next week? 

A bit harsh to bring Breretons "dive" up though. He actually did OK. Not a 7 million player, but not worthy of scapegoating. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

Poor 1st half. MgGinn was quality. Shame we never signed him. Bennett was shocking 1st half. Gave McGinn far too much space. Villa were excellent

Thought we played very well second half. Went 4-3-3 more with Dack deeper. Gave us more of a foothole in game. Would like to see the Brereton penalty incident again. He did well. Playing in 10 role. Armstrong missed a good chance. Rothwell skill and tricky good.

Lenihan being back is a massive positive. Second half positive performance. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Very good point on Armstrong. Him playing goes against every reason Mowbray gives for not playing Rothwell or Chapman. He is so lazy when it comes to the defensive stuff, yet Mowbray loves him because he did the business for him with Coventry. 

As for Bennett, centre midfield today is just comical. Will he be in goals next week? 

A bit harsh to bring Breretons "dive" up though. He actually did OK. Not a 7 million player, but not worthy of scapegoating. 

Not at all, was right in front of me and was laughable as an isolated incident. Not scapegoating at all, he wasnt to blame for defeat.

• Like 1

I thought we did OK today, particularly in the second half after the substitutions had been made.  From where I was sat the first goal looked offside in the build up but the linesman was yards behind play and missed it.  Lenihan got better as the game went on and Rothwell did well running at people when he came on but, once again, there was no end product from him.  Brereton didn't do too badly when he came on but Dack's decline continues and he had little impact on the game.

Villa looked good going forward but, like so many teams in this League, were suspect at the back and were hanging on at the end.  However, going forward they looked a class act, attacking with pace and skill to create openings.  McGinn ran things in midfield and Abraham and Green proved a handful.  I would expect Villa to certainly hold down a play-off place and it will be interesting to see if they make it this year.

A gate of just under 40,000 again illustrated just what we are up against in terms of matchday income.

• Like 4

Just now, Parsonblue said:

I thought we did OK today, particularly in the second half after the substitutions had been made.  From where I was sat the first goal looked offside in the build up but the linesman was yards behind play and missed it.  Lenihan got better as the game went on and Rothwell did well running at people when he came on but, once again, there was no end product from him.  Brereton didn't do too badly when he came on but Dack's decline continues and he had little impact on the game.

Villa looked good going forward but, like so many teams in this League, were suspect at the back and were hanging on at the end.  However, going forward they looked a class act, attacking with pace and skill to create openings.  McGinn ran things in midfield and Abraham and Green proved a handful.  I would expect Villa to certainly hold down a play-off place and it will be interesting to see if they make it this year.

A gate of just under 40,000 again illustrated just what we are up against in terms of matchday income.

We've invested 7 million in an overated kid and we are given a generous budget for a club our size by billionaire owners allowing us to pay good championship wages to some players.

So sorry that's not really washing with me at the moment, it's just a convenient excuse other similar or even smaller clubs are managing better on the same or less. No one has a devine right to do well and it's one of the toughest leagues in the world we know that however we are suffering from poor on field team management at the moment as much as anything.

There'll always be bigger clubs but there's only one who gets nearly 40k they are bigger than the rest on that score by some miles but they do get beat though.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 7

Another decent day out made worse by being coerced into attending the match. Dont feel I can really comment on the game having only endured 20 minutes of it. But for what that’s worth their no 7 dominated that. My level of interest is similar to the players level of interest. Ie minimal. 

I purely go for a day with the lads on the lash. In football the term big club is banded around by all sorts of minnows but with their history, fan base and honours I really do think of villa as a big club. That said villa park is the absolute pits. Anything but the home of a top club.

Went down to the concourse after 35 mins. Hadn’t been served when the second got underway by which point they’d run out of all alcohol (a minimum for rovers). So after 25-30 mins of queuing at a woefully understaffed bar we buggered off to the pub where we should have stayed and saved £30. 

• Like 1

They had us on toast for the first half hour. Men against boys stuff. They’re a good side though and we were genuinely in the game until the end.

Credit to Rovers for finding some fight and turning it round after that. Felt Lenihan and Travis in particular stepped up after a poor start and dragged the rest of the side through.

Bennett was utterly appalling in central midfield, he shouldn’t be anywhere near the starting 11. Had an absolute mare. Reed/Rodwell would’ve been much more logical starters in that position, baffling selection.

Brereton and Rothwell changed the game when they came on. Full of beans and got us up the pitch, unlike Graham and Dack who were very uninspiring not for the first time in recent weeks. If Rothwell doesn’t start the next game I’ll be livid.

Much improved on the last couple of away games as shown by most fans staying until after the end and clapping them off, but still a lot of room for improvement.

59 minutes ago, tomphil said:

We've invested 7 million in an overated kid and we are given a generous budget for a club our size by billionaire owners allowing us to pay good championship wages to some players.

So sorry that's not really washing with me at the moment, it's just a convenient excuse other similar or even smaller clubs are managing better on the same or less. No one has a devine right to do well and it's one of the toughest leagues in the world we know that however we are suffering from poor on field team management at the moment as much as anything.

There'll always be bigger clubs but there's only one who gets nearly 40k they are bigger than the rest on that score by some miles but they do get beat though.

I’m not wearing this kind of absolute bollocks.

I’ve not been dropping into the forum as much recently because there seems to be a disease going round that gives you the memory of a goldfish and a mind, when decided, as impenetrable as Fort Knox.

Place is getting toxic and infecting the otherwise sound-minded.

My view:

We have just been promoted (net spend last 4 seasons circa minus £30m?)

In between us and the play offs are the following teams -

Bristol City - Doing well, steady.

Middlesbrough - Parachute Payments = massive wages and quality squad

Nottingham Forest - £23m net spend this season alone.

Preston North End - Doing well. Well done them.

Sheffield Wednesday - Spent about £40m and stupid wages in the past couple of years

Hull City - Parachute payments = massive wages 

Brentford - Solid. Well run. Something to aspire to. 3 points in front of us.

Stoke City - Premier League squad/wages and parachutes from last season.

Swansea City - ditto

We’ve just been promoted.

Get a fucking grip lads.

I almost don’t know what else I have to say.

Apart from - I thought we played really well second half.

Edited by S8 & Blue
  • Like 5

Just now, tomphil said:

You really are totally clueless I've seen some attempts at spin but that takes the top prize by far.

Of course it isn't a shocking run son........

Yes. It is.

How do you spin against my initial post about the teams doing better than us?

Aliens did it?

Fake news?

MSM?

Will of the people?

Just now, S8 & Blue said:

Yes. It is.

How do you spin against my initial post about the teams doing better than us?

Aliens did it?

Fake news?

MSM?

Will of the people?

Only advice I have for you is lay off the wine gums you're clearly drunk.

But yeah let's take the games from the winning run and insert them between the this run of defeats and pretend things are fine #wibble

Just now, tomphil said:

Only advice I have for you is lay off the wine gums you're clearly drunk.

But yeah let's take the games from the winning run and insert them between the this run of defeats and pretend things are fine #wibble

You know how a season works don’t you?

Anyway, if you are just going to call me pissed and not address this - 

We have just been promoted (net spend last 4 seasons circa minus £30m?)

In between us and the play offs are the following teams -

Bristol City - Doing well, steady.

Middlesbrough - Parachute Payments = massive wages and quality squad

Nottingham Forest - £23m net spend this season alone.

Preston North End - Doing well. Well done them.

Sheffield Wednesday - Spent about £40m and stupid wages in the past couple of years

Hull City - Parachute payments = massive wages 

Brentford - Solid. Well run. Something to aspire to. 3 points in front of us.

Stoke City - Premier League squad/wages and parachutes from last season.

Swansea City - ditto

Then I’ll leave you to your little echo chamber.

I only pop in now for the match threads to share my view on the performance so don’t call me a gloater when we beat Stoke.

Ever seen the film “24”?

Stay human boys.