Mowbray: Stay or go?

Mowbray: Stay or Go?  

245 members have voted

1. 1. Choices

• Stay
    • Go

*** Poll is anonymous ***

Stay

This is just a bad spell, January is what we are really about and the rest of the season since has been the blip, coincidentally now that we are all but safe. Despite any potential we may have shown early on, mid-table was always the target and injuries rather than bad planning have hampered a better finish. It was important to give the League One side a chance to perform and they have got us to safety. The stats are what they are and they don’t make great reading but we need to look at the bigger picture. Now that Mowbray has learned about his squad capabilities he will deal with this in the Summer and we will have a better season. We just have to keep the faith.

Go

Time to go T-Mo. Thanks for getting us back into the Championship first time (the minimum expectation) but it’s just not working at this level. We are in the same type of run that we were when you first joined and results are worse. Comparing the last 10 games of each... Coyle (W2D3L5 9pts from 30) v Mowbray (W1D1L8 4pts from 30). If it hadn’t been for a purple patch in January - when an enthusiastic, “pre-Mowbrayed” Lewis Travis burst on to the scene -  we’d be below Rotherham. The sides you pick are one dimensional, you still prefer your favourites at the expense of potential quality because you haven’t addressed glaring problems during the last four windows, and I’ve no faith you will do anything differently after the next one.

Or some variation but your reasoning isn’t necessarily required.

Stay or Go...

Edited by Stuart

• Backroom

Such a tough call this, I don’t think I want to see him sacked but I would be pleased if he decided now was a good time to walk away.

There is a huge job this summer with a new defence and new main striker needed minimum, Tony has been an amazing ship steadier and was perfect for last season but I’m not convinced he can take us further.

We aren’t alone in wanting to be around the playoffs and have no divine right to be but at the minute our direction is downwards.

As such I’m sitting on the fence for another couple of weeks!  

• Like 5

Just now, Tom said:

Such a tough call this, I don’t think I want to see him sacked but I would be pleased if he decided now was a good time to walk away.

There is a huge job this summer with a new defence and new main striker needed minimum, Tony has been an amazing ship steadier and was perfect for last season but I’m not convinced he can take us further.

We aren’t alone in wanting to be around the playoffs and have no divine right to be but at the minute our direction is downwards.

As such I’m sitting on the fence for another couple of weeks!  

Pretty much my thoughts. 

I'm not at a stage where I want him to go, yet, but I am deeply concerned by what I am seeing and by what I am hearing. I've also got little faith in Mowbray's transfer dealings being good enough.

I suppose the one benefit of the next couple of months and the games we have left is it should be an opportunity to assess and analyse and make a decision at the end of it. If this form continues through the next 7 games and we don't get a few wins in there then we're entering 1-2 wins in 17-18 games territory which ultimately should be a sackable offence irrespective of anything else. Mowbray quit Coventry for much less. 

So we've a 'luxury' of 7 games to look at what is happening and decide on the way forward. 

I think the most pertinent question is do people have have faith TM can rectify our problems ? Given how long it took to get us up and running last season, his transfer dealings over the last 4 windows combined with a beyond absymal run of form, I'd say no. Any manager can have a run of good or bad results the question is whether looking at the wider picture you feel they can turn it round. I've not seen enough evidence in 3 years that TM can. For that matter what manager has recovered from such a shocking run aside from teht bigger picture stuff (appreciate that's another argument though!)

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead

I desperately want him to turn it around, but I’ve also got grave concerns about the amount of goals we concede and his lack of willingness/ability to correct it.

The fact him and his assistant used to be centre halves makes this no less frustrating....

• Like 2

The summer will be the turning point in terms of who he brings in.  If he can get the players we need, provided money is made available to sign half-a-dozen genuine starters, then I still believe he can take us forward.  As I've said before, he's made the same mistake as Bob Saxton did towards the end of his time at Ewood - being too loyal to players who have served the club well in the past.  I think this season, particularly since Christmas, has shown that a number of players are really struggling at this level and others who we thought might thrive at this level simply haven't been able to sustain early season form.   

Hopes of selling Dack for £20m to finance a rebuilding operation are long gone so once again it will come down to the owners finding the funds.

At the moment I'm more than happy for Mowbray to take us into next season and I honestly believe that sacking him now would be a serious mistake.

• Like 3

I'm leaning towards go and the main reason is really nothing to do with Mowbray. I just don't trust the Indians, Waggott or Cheston to bring in anybody who could take us any further than Mowbray has us. I wouldn't trust them to make a jelly. Another huge concern is Mowbray having to virtually rebuild the squad. Given his overall record (not just at Rovers) I have major doubts about his ability to do this.

• Like 1

Just now, arbitro said:

What would be your tipping point?

I’ll only know when I get there I suppose.

But it’s when I feel it’s sensible to throw the last couple of years away into the Venky’s tombola hat.

I'd say give him the summer if I thought he had a clue how to sort the defence out, or if he'll be able to recruit the right players in the summer to do so. I don't on either count so I'd be looking for a new manager now  before Mowbray wastes any more money on out-of-position duds. And to be fair the football at Ewood is dull, cautious hoofball - so much for 'evolving' our style of play. 

I also think without the promotion 'bounce' next season is going to be a lot more difficult than this. We've been sussed as a team. A manager who has to continually change his tactics after 15-20 mins because he gets it wrong from the start is probably not up to the job. 

However, I would be amazed if he gets sacked even if we lose every match to the end of the season. He'll get the summer, sadly. 

23 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I'm leaning towards go and the main reason is really nothing to do with Mowbray. I just don't trust the Indians, Waggott or Cheston to bring in anybody who could take us any further than Mowbray has us. I wouldn't trust them to make a jelly.

Your logic indicates you want him to stay not go. 

Just now, rigger said:

That is the point. To get Reed to stay he will have to be, baring a complete dip in form, guaranteed a start in every game.

You've lost me. Your only objection to Mowbray being the manager is if he doesn't pick a decent midfielder every week, and therefore doesn't manage to sign him permanently?

Edited by blueboy3333

• Backroom

Go. The sooner the better. We've been going backward at a rate of knots since November (with a brief blip which papered over the cracks in January) and there is no evidence in Mowbray's history to suggest he can or will fix this. If anything it's the total opposite.

Also his transfer dealings are highly questionable if you take Dack out of the equation. I'm not going to go into the Brereton mess, but do I trust Tony Mowbray with any kind of transfer budget? No, I don't. 

• Like 1

It’s been a funny season. Spells of both play off and relegation form. It’s very hard to say where this team ‘should’ finish but I think it’s now clear that we overachieved in Jan as opposed to underachieved since.

The team isn’t ready for promotion as it stands. To avoid relegation this season has to be seen as some form of achievement. Mowbray has said the right things about strengthening the squad in the summer and, personally, I think it’s worth trying to preserve stability if we can and give him a chance.

Having said that, I think the good will from last season has been exhausted. Our form since January has been abysmal. If we don’t improve sharply in the coming weeks then a decision will need to be made.

I want him to turn it around as he’s had such a positive impact at the club. I’m interested to see how the summer window will pan out given his comments so as it stands I’ll probably give him another 6 months or so.

Go

says one thing & does the opposite...

Too Old School .. too defensive minded Like Mourinho... but at least the special one knew how to set up a defence...

His quote about the transfer window that in the old days he could have gone out and strengthened the defence All year but he can’t Now was shocking to say the least .... 

He talks good but that’s all ..... get rid 

• Like 4

GO!  I'm afraid that due to last season too many of our fans have blind faith in Mowbray just as Mowbray does with the players. This side is barley any better than the team that was relegated, although the league is weaker. We are going to concede more goal's than when we went down and we are still 4 points short of the total we went down with and all this is despite the fact that Mowbray has spent a good amount of money.

The defence has been shocking all season, if Mowbray was capable of sorting it out then he would have done so by now and the fact he chose to weaken it rather than strengthen it in January tells you everything you need to know. At least early in the season we were in the games letting it slip late on at the moment we are 1-0 down within 10 minutes and despite Mowbray banging on about team spirit we don't have the character to come back from conceding the first goal to win.

I have no clue what our plan is for next season when we are playing Conway over the likes of Rothwell and Chapman. For me if Mowbray is here next season a relegation battle is inevitable. Anyone expecting him to overhaul the squad in the summer is going to be disappointed as even on this terrible run he is still putting his faith in the same players. And even if Mowbray was to be in charge of a big overhaul in the summer, given his record in the transfer market I have no faith in him to make the correct signings. The fact he spent a lot of money in the summer and yesterday every starter was here last season is very telling.

Mowbray's managerial history shows that once a slide starts then he is not the man to arrest that slide. Mowbray Out!

• Like 4

Go...... lovely man, extremely limited manager. Too fixed in his ways, poor recruitment, archaic tactics, shocking team selection. It will be an empty Ewood next season if he remains 

I used to get annoyed at a former colleague of mine.....

I used to think .... he wouldn’t....it then over time became clear......he couldn’t....

Ditto Mr Mowbray 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, JHRover said:

I'm not at a stage where I want him to go, yet, but I am deeply concerned by what I am seeing and by what I am hearing. I've also got little faith in Mowbray's transfer dealings being good enough.

I suppose the one benefit of the next couple of months and the games we have left is it should be an opportunity to assess and analyse and make a decision at the end of it. If this form continues through the next 7 games and we don't get a few wins in there then we're entering 1-2 wins in 17-18 games territory which ultimately should be a sackable offence irrespective of anything else. Mowbray quit Coventry for much less. 

So we've a 'luxury' of 7 games to look at what is happening and decide on the way forward. 

The next 7 games sees us in an odd position.

Nothing to play for so a ready excuse for not performing. Currently on a losing streak with the so called first team starters. Things look all too comfortable and pally. When you are winning it can look like a close knit group, when you are losing regularly it becomes a problem because players are less likely to be ruthless and will try to stick it out “together”. Mowbray’s approach seems to be to leave the players to it. He should be objective and be prepared to make tough decisions. Sticking with Dack when Rothwell is in form or bringing in Samuel when Nuttall was in form just continue the problem.

The only way Mowbray can come out of this end of season phase well is to start giving starts to some of the youngsters. Would be great to see Magloire given a chance alongside Lenihan. Rothwell given a free role in midfield. With some of the older guard on the bench. If we lose then we’ve learned something. If we lose with our League One players then we’ve not even learned anything.