SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Mowbray: Stay or go?

Mowbray: Stay or Go?  

245 members have voted

1. 1. Choices

• Stay
    • Go

He'll live or die by his summer recruitment.

He needs to sign 1 first choice centre back (no CM's who can "do a job") and probably 1 for competition. 

He needs to grow some @#/? and shift out some of his favourites.

I can't see him doing either, in fact, I reckon our CB pairing for the first game of the season will be Lenihan and Mulgrew.

• Like 2

• Backroom
Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

There's one or two you could say that about,  Hart and the Marquee signing that was Whittingham.

Hart I can at least forgive as a development project, whilst Whittingham played a small part in our League 1 campaign despite not really impressing. Gladwin might as well have not existed at all.

Just now, davulsukur said:

He'll live or die by his summer recruitment.

He needs to sign 1 first choice centre back (no CM's who can "do a job") and probably 1 for competition. 

He needs to grow some @#/? and shift out some of his favourites.

I can't see him doing either, in fact, I reckon our CB pairing for the first game of the season will be Lenihan and Mulgrew.

Unless it's Lenihan and Williams ?

41 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

Yep. Who would he drop? Lenihan he bangs on about being a Premier League player while Mulgrew is his captain. Unless he switches to 3 at the back or Charlie rocks up back at Celtic Park, then a Bauer (or equivalent) will be on the bench with the likes of Joe Rothwell.

IMO, 100% Mowbray has to go.

Sentiment shouldn't count.  His 'nice guy' image shouldn't count.  His constant prattling about his values shouldn't count.  His wife's lemon drizzle cake shouldn't count.

I think Mowbray is too old school and in reality a muddled tactical dinosaur.

Key points for me are:

• Are we physically and mentally fit.  IMO, no and based on what I've seen, other teams are far quicker, fitter and tougher mentally.
  • Are we organised and difficult to beat.  Results speak for themselves.  We leak goals for fun.
  • Does Mowbray get the most out of his players.  IMO, no - think he has too many 'favourites', development of younger players is suppressed and his selections result in far too many square pegs being driven into round holes.
  • Is Mowbray tactically aware:  IMO, he's not at the races and how many times do we see him change the set-up within 15/20 minutes minutes.  I struggle to see any game management.
  • Do we play attractive football and is there a pattern and style of play developing.  IMO, no and no - I am bloody sick of hoofball, hoofball and more hoofball.
  • Is Mowbray astute in player trading.  IMO, his record is very poor, other than Dack.  I think we've spunked £10million+ on Brereton, Armstrong, Davenport and Rothwell (though Rothwell IMO is by far the most promising of the four and he rarely plays him!).  Far too many Harts, Gladwins and bang 'Joe Averages'.

Mowbray said at his evening a few weeks ago, he was brought in to keep us up.  He failed - full stop.

In the pi$$ poor League 1 he got us up BEHIND Wigan.  We were the best resourced club in the league and we should have strolled it -  I think we rode our luck too many times for comfort last season which didn't augur well for this season.

I think we are now virtually in free fall with just 4 points from the last 10 / 11 games.  Mowbray has had two windows since we were promoted to address some obvious defensive concerns and I think he's done virtually feck all about it and also allowed a 'real' centre half (Downing to leave on loan). 

I do not think Mowbray has anything to offer our football club in any capacity.  I think it would be a huge mistake to give him the summer as I do not think his record in player trading gives any reassurance. 

We need a young, hungry and innovative coach.  I would be staggered if Damien Johnson could not make a better fist of it than Mowbray.  There are a lot of talented coaches out there who would jump at the Ewood manager's job.  We owe Mowbray nothing - he's been handsomely paid for his labours.  

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 8

If we lose the next game to Stoke, I'll be firmly in the leave camp. It'll be the tipping point for me.

If we get something, I'm still going to be a bit worried about next season and whether TM will take us forwards or backwards. If we can regain some form though for the remainder of the season, I'll just sit back and nervously hope our transfer activity will be better than it's sounding so far.

Too many bad team selections,  too many poor tactics,  too many excuses blaming the players,  too many pre match warnings on how good the opposition is, etc etc etc.

I couldn't stand another season of swearing at the tv where the faults are there for all to see , all except TM.

GO

7 hours ago, Mercer said:

IMO, 100% Mowbray has to go.

Sentiment shouldn't count.  His 'nice guy' image shouldn't count.  His constant prattling about his values shouldn't count.  His wife's lemon drizzle cake shouldn't count.

I think Mowbray is too old school and in reality a muddled tactical dinosaur.

Key points for me are:

• Are we physically and mentally fit.  IMO, no and based on what I've seen, other teams are far quicker, fitter and tougher mentally.
  • Are we organised and difficult to beat.  Results speak for themselves.  We leak goals for fun.
  • Does Mowbray get the most out of his players.  IMO, no - think he has too many 'favourites', development of younger players is suppressed and his selections result in far too many square pegs being driven into round holes.
  • Is Mowbray tactically aware:  IMO, he's not at the races and how many times do we see him change the set-up within 15/20 minutes minutes.  I struggle to see any game management.
  • Do we play attractive football and is there a pattern and style of play developing.  IMO, no and no - I am bloody sick of hoofball, hoofball and more hoofball.
  • Is Mowbray astute in player trading.  IMO, his record is very poor, other than Dack.  I think we've spunked £10million+ on Brereton, Armstrong, Davenport and Rothwell (though Rothwell IMO is by far the most promising of the four and he rarely plays him!).  Far too many Harts, Gladwins and bang 'Joe Averages'.

Mowbray said at his evening a few weeks ago, he was brought in to keep us up.  He failed - full stop.

In the pi$$ poor League 1 he got us up BEHIND Wigan.  We were the best resourced club in the league and we should have strolled it -  I think we rode our luck too many times for comfort last season which didn't augur well for this season.

I think we are now virtually in free fall with just 4 points from the last 10 / 11 games.  Mowbray has had two windows since we were promoted to address some obvious defensive concerns and I think he's done virtually feck all about it and also allowed a 'real' centre half (Downing to leave on loan). 

I do not think Mowbray has anything to offer our football club in any capacity.  I think it would be a huge mistake to give him the summer as I do not think his record in player trading gives any reassurance. 

We need a young, hungry and innovative coach.  I would be staggered if Damien Johnson could not make a better fist of it than Mowbray.  There are a lot of talented coaches out there who would jump at the Ewood manager's job.  We owe Mowbray nothing - he's been handsomely paid for his labours.  

Spot on 

10 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Unless it's Lenihan and Williams ?

If Williams is still part of the starting 11 for the opening game of next season, Mowbray has failed massively.

9 hours ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Yep. Who would he drop? Lenihan he bangs on about being a Premier League player while Mulgrew is his captain. Unless he switches to 3 at the back or Charlie rocks up back at Celtic Park, then a Bauer (or equivalent) will be on the bench with the likes of Joe Rothwell.

As much as it pains me to say it, he needs to be bringing in a natural centre back to replace Mulgrew.

A new first choice centre back should be his No.1 priority. This target should already be identified and work now taking place in order to make the transfer happen as soon as the window is open. I don't want him signing someone late and then pulling the "he needs to get up to speed with our system" rubbish he has in the past.

As i say, we'll land this Charlton lad (or someone similar), who'll end up sat on the bench for most of the season behind Mulgrew and Lenihan.

Go. It seems that Tony is a decent enough man but he is too loyal to certain players, uses odd tactics and doesn't see problems with the squad in terms of quality. It's no point giving him next season as I doubt he would buy a better defender or goalkeeper or if he did, they'd be on the bench. I'm reluctant to give Johnson the job, so I'll have to see who is available as a replacement.

Just now, Norbert Rassragr said:

Go. It seems that Tony is a decent enough man but he is too loyal to certain players, uses odd tactics and doesn't see problems with the squad in terms of quality. It's no point giving him next season as I doubt he would buy a better defender or goalkeeper or if he did, they'd be on the bench. I'm reluctant to give Johnson the job, so I'll have to see who is available as a replacement.

I don't say give Johnno the job, I'd give him a go until the end of the season and see how he goes on.  I'm well aware of the "successful caretaker syndrome " a la Darren Moore but I can't see how he wouldn't get more out of our existing squad.

Knowing these fools they'll sack the whole coaching staff and put Dunny in charge !

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

Just now, DE. said:

What has TM achieved that Bowyer didn't? Keeping in mind promotion from L1 doesn't count as Bowyer never took us down to that level.

Here? Or in his career? 

Bowyer should have had that squad top 2 never mind top 6.

3 minutes ago, rhodie said:

Has everyone forgotten the clowns we have had over the last few years, would rather have TM any day than trust our recruiters to do better replacing him.

That's not a good enough reason to keep employing someone who (at the moment at least) looks nailed on to lead us to a second relegation. Yes, he's a nicer bloke and better manager than the jokers we've had in recent history but it's not about that, it's about if he's simply good enough to take us forwards. Based on our last 30 points return, how anyone can conclude that he is almost borders on delusional, or just blind faithful at least. 

I don't think you will find any of us that won't agree that he's a nice fella and has done a good job getting us promoted but football is about the nowand he's very much demonstrating that he's not up to the job, much like the favourites he's been picking week in week out for most of the season. 

• Like 4

• Backroom
Just now, Sparks Rover said:

Give over. Bowyer had quality all over, should have got us at least to play offs. 

I never said Bowyer did anything good, I was asking what Mowbray has done to be better than him. The revisionism on Bowyer's tenure is hilarious though. Literally everything being said about TM was said about Bowyer, right down to the integrity, dignity, etc along with the frustrations over tactics and favourites. It's all too familiar but people now seem to write Bowyer's tenure off as a disaster and pretend that he was the same as Kean, Berg, Appleton, Lambert and Coyle, which is completely untrue. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I don't say give Johnno the job, I'd give him a go until the end of the season and see how he goes on.  I'm well aware of the "successful caretaker syndrome " a la Darren Moore but I can't see how he wouldn't get more out of our existing squad.

Knowing these fools they'll sack the whole coaching staff and put Dunny in charge !

That sounds a good idea. Keep him as a young Tony Parkes. We need a dynamic, younger manager but like you say, Venkys will probably hire Dunn or some pillock who has no hope like Coyle.