Mowbray: Stay or go?

Mowbray: Stay or Go?  

245 members have voted

1. 1. Choices

• Stay
    • Go

Just now, Paul Mani said:

Funny post.

Fyi I do beleive that they will be looking to get him out and recover some money this summer. There has to be some return for the owners....but maybe the real reason is that they’ve had enough of the issues that surround him and want to cash out before he does something that kills his value stone dead...just a thought ?

What is killing his value stone dead at the minute is playing in a lifeless team with a lifeless manager. Ironically by not playing is the only way to keep some sort of value.

As for your point on a return for the owners the only way to get a return on their money is promotion to the PL. They won't get that through useless project signings and scrapheap managers on the cheap.

Just now, LDRover said:

What is killing his value stone dead at the minute is playing in a lifeless team with a lifeless manager. Ironically by not playing is the only way to keep some sort of value.

As for your point on a return for the owners the only way to get a return on their money is promotion to the PL. They won't get that through useless project signings and scrapheap managers on the cheap.

In the contrary, I think what’s killing his value at the moment is that even when he plays in said ‘lifeless’ team he can’t pass five yards or hit a barn door! But his stats this year will entice some other promotion hungry club to take a punt on him. Wouldn’t even be surprised if it’s being lined up as we speak... 

Fine.

Every choice you make in life is then a guess. You use evidence and experience to help you formulate these guesses/choices.

Mowbray has guessed wrong, repeatedly. And he’s the ‘football man’. Says a lot about his judgement and if we should expect things to improve.

Edited by Mattyblue

Just now, Parsonblue said:

I totally agree.  Dack is too high maintenance - which is fine if you are producing on the pitch but he's been poor for the past few months and seems totally distracted from his day job.  Sadly, I suspect any plans to use money from his sale to rebuild are well and truly shot to pieces.  If we got £5 million for him, on his present form, we'd be doing well.

Many fans were scoffing at £10m last Summer and in January. Sadly Dack is another Dunn, a poor man’s Gazza.

Much like Mowbray, he found his level in the third tier and helped Rovers but similar to when Jon Stead saved Souness and Rovers from relegation, both had a limited shelf life before they lost their magic.

Just now, Parsonblue said:

I totally agree.  Dack is too high maintenance - which is fine if you are producing on the pitch but he's been poor for the past few months and seems totally distracted from his day job.  Sadly, I suspect any plans to use money from his sale to rebuild are well and truly shot to pieces.  If we got £5 million for him, on his present form, we'd be doing well.

Still fully behind Mowbray?

We've got about 300 pages on here discussing our major weaknesses and need to strengthen massively in the summer, yet I suspect our first priorities will be to cash in on arguably our best and most valuable player and sending Reed back to Southampton.

Then no doubt there'll be folk stratching their heads when we're bottom of the league next season. 

Clubs that want to progress and improve keep their best players and work out ways to replace those not good enough. Dack is good enough so his position should be bottom of the list of issues that need addressing.

We have to rebuild our defence, central midfield and find more goals, not offload our most creative player.

As we can see though, the club PR machine is busy at work convincing people that Dack is a major problem and we'd be better off getting shut. Convenient really. Not Venkys or Rovers fault. Never is.

Edited by JHRover
  • Like 3

48 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

There’s a few with contracts up at the end of the season. I see the young lads slotting into those. The desired signings as quoted by Rich Sharpe are as follows:

Priority - CB’s (plural) and at least one striker.

TM refuses to rule out GK, FB and CM. I personally think these will be brought in based on if we can shift players in their positions.

Tony is openly talking about the plan. This needs to be executed or he’s history imo.

Aside from Conway, Downing and him that's injured I don't think there are any more out of contract. And the way he was bigging Conway up last week it wouldn't surprise me if he got offered a deal. Last weeks announcement that we spent over £400k on agents fees included players who signed new deals. And if we have to pay some of the current ones up that will cost us dearly. However you view it Mowbray has put Rovers in a poor position with his dealings.

As far as new contracts go Mowbray has painted the club into a corner.

Just now, JHRover said:

We've got about 300 pages on here discussing our major weaknesses and need to strengthen massively in the summer, yet I suspect our first priorities will be to cash in on arguably our best and most valuable player and sending Reed back to Southampton.

Then no doubt there'll be folk stratching their heads when we're bottom of the league next season. 

Clubs that want to progress and improve keep their best players and work out ways to replace those not good enough. Dack is good enough so his position should be bottom of the list of issues that need addressing.

We have to rebuild our defence, central midfield and find more goals, not offload our most creative player.

As we can see though, the club PR machine is busy at work convincing people that Dack is a major problem and we'd be better off getting shut. Convenient really. Not Venkys or Rovers fault. Never is.

It’s not always a massive conspiracy mate. Sometimes the club just think enough is enough...

I don’t want us to sell Dack. I just think the interview Tony did about going to 433 next season and Dack going awol with a broken heart...sorry hamstring injury seems too much of a coincidence?

• Like 1

Just now, arbitro said:

Aside from Conway, Downing and him that's injured I don't think there are any more out of contract. And the way he was bigging Conway up last week it wouldn't surprise me if he got offered a deal. Last weeks announcement that we spent over £400k on agents fees included players who signed new deals. And if we have to pay some of the current ones up that will cost us dearly. However you view it Mowbray has put Rovers in a poor position with his dealings.

As far as new contracts go Mowbray has painted the club into a corner.

Think there’s a few more...Leutwiler, Gladwin, Rodwell etc...

Re the contacts to squad players. I don’t have a real issue with that. You’d need Bennets, Williams, Mulgrew, Graham on your bench if you wanted to go up. The most important bit is getting better players in to take their position in the first place!

1 minute ago, Paul Mani said:

In the contrary, I think what’s killing his value at the moment is that even when he plays in said ‘lifeless’ team he can’t pass five yards or hit a barn door! But his stats this year will entice some other promotion hungry club to take a punt on him. Wouldn’t even be surprised if it’s being lined up as we speak... 

He plays in a team that's setup awfully - as someone who has said played football at a good standard surely you can see that tactically we're awful with no backup or anything? We play hoofball to Graham constantly, how is someone with flair meant to perform well in a team setup so badly. And picking our worst team (Smallwood, Bennett and Evans over Travis , Rothwell and Reed)

Just now, Paul Mani said:

It’s not always a massive conspiracy mate. Sometimes the club just think enough is enough...

I don’t want us to sell Dack. I just think the interview Tony did about going to 433 next season and Dack going awol with a broken heart...sorry hamstring injury seems too much of a coincidence?

Maybe it isn't a conspiracy. Maybe it is. Who knows. I take what the club says with a pinch of salt these days. I wouldn't rule anything out. The fact we're discussing selling Dack and him being a problem after what has happened recently is convenient.

Went yesterday, did a bit of Mowbray watching as well as taking everything else in. The majority of people around me (BBE) seemed resigned to the fact that were not good enough but there wasn't a great deal of anti TM feeling evident.

A poor game/atmosphere/performance coupled with a seeming amount of apathy by fans and players alike.

Apart from a few positive blips, this is the Rovers I've spent over 5 decades watching so nothing new there but every so often there needs to be change and this is now Tony's time to go unfortunately, would have liked him to take the club forward as I do believe he is a good football person apart from his team selection, tactics and transfer dealings ?

The biggest problem is who to replace him?

Just now, JHRover said:

Only the bad guessers.

Just now, RoversClitheroe said:

He plays in a team that's setup awfully - as someone who has said played football at a good standard surely you can see that tactically we're awful with no backup or anything? We play hoofball to Graham constantly, how is someone with flair meant to perform well in a team setup so badly. And picking our worst team (Smallwood, Bennett and Evans over Travis , Rothwell and Reed)

All about opinions...

He was playing in that same ‘awful’ team up until Dec when he had 15 goals and 10 assists or whatever.

My feeling is that part of Rovers problem is that our Talismsn has capitulated as oppose to the other way round. The last four home games have been lost 1-0. Those games were screaming out for him to do something. The team is built around accommodating him and he’s been soooo poor! A bit of magic in any of those games could’ve changed everything, created some momentum and confidence. Took the pressure off the team. 

Lets not be too quick to blame the team for Dacks form. It’s common knowledge that team hasn’t changed much from the one he thrived in for 18 months.

Which begs the question, what HAS changed? 

What’s changed? I would say a load of League 1 players playing relentlessly at the top of their game can no longer reach those levels - as to be expected.

Ergo the transfer window was a big missed opportunity.

It was becoming apparent from around Preston and Wigan away right through to New Year’s Day. The January results papered over some very large cracks and the manager buried his head in the sand(paper).

Edited by Mattyblue

Just now, Mattyblue said:

I would say a load of League 1 players playing relentlessly at the top of the game can no longer reach those levels - as to be expected.

Ergo the transfer window was a big missed opportunity.

It was becoming apparent from around Preston and Wigan away right through to New Year’s Day. The January results papered over some very large cracks and the manager buried his head in the sand(paper).

For what it’s worth, I wanted us to sign a front line Striker instead of BB all summer. I would’ve tried for a CB at Christmas too...that said, the January market isn’t usually the best and I don’t have the full picture so I would’ve been guessing at what was best.

But I don’t think there were any signs that things would drop off so sharply. The injuries to Lenihan, Mulgrew and the Form of Dack were massive reasons for the downward spiral imo. And only Lenihan has come back to his previous level. Mulgrew looks finished and Dack away with the fairies.

Who have been mowbray’s signings? There’s talk about letting him rebuild in the summer but I’m trying to think is there any evidence signing wise he’s the man for the job. 

Pretty sure he signed Dack which until recently will be a tick in the positive column but there doesn’t seem many others getting a go and of course the 7 million pound man. 

The 'Jack Rodwell Experiment' this season has been a disaster for Mowbray and letting our 1 and only natural senior CB leave without giving him a chance was just obscene, Mowbrays tactics, decision making and transfers(and general verbal diarrhea) have all been awful this year, That said i do think that he has done enough to warrant one more summer transfer window to see if he can turn things around.