Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Mowbray: Stay or go?

Mowbray: Stay or Go?  

245 members have voted

1. 1. Choices

• Stay
    • Go

3 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I'd like to see Chapman given a whirl out on the wing, especially away from home were he can catch them on the break.  Bench Conway and Bennett and return Nyambe to right back.

I've heard that Chapman will cost us substantially (more) money if he makes an appearance before the end of the season and that is why he has not and will not appear.

Passing on what I've heard.

2 hours ago, Mercer said:

I think Mowbray is morphing into Kean and C o y l e.

The man has no credibility left in my view.

IMO, sheer madness to keep him as manager.  No, ifs and buts, I think he's clearly demonstrated he's unfit for purpose.

No room for sentiment in football.

Not saying that I've agreed with every decision he's made by any stretch, but to compare him to either of those charlatans, even pure;y on ability and not character, is absolutely ludicrous. 

Fair enough there's no room for sentiment, but it's literally just over 2 months since we were the form team in the division, he was manager of the month and we were hoping for a play offs. All this from a team which had just been promoted. He's not above criticism, and the last 2 months have been dreadful until the Derby game, but some of the hyperbole here is way over the top. 

Comparing him with Coyle & Kean is like comparing night and day.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Stuart said:

Mowbray is a good manager in League One. In the Championship he is distinctly below average. His workmanlike teams can grind our results in the third tier. At this level you need a lot more.

As long as he maintains low expectations and has fans like Mani on his side he will have a job for a long time. If he has us in and around the play-offs then he will raise expectations that he can’t deliver on.

Is that what this club wants? 18,000 empty seats say otherwise.

Is that what this club needs? £160m - £180m of debt and rising says otherwise.

As long as the owners and CEO are sensible and pragmatic in considering that the manager has achieved his targets then common sense should prevail. 

Im sure that those targets will be revised  for next season and the manager has to meet them.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I thank the lord that you emotionally charged, trigger happy lot aren’t in charge! We’d be going through managers on a weekly basis! ??

• Like 3

On 10/04/2019 at 15:17, Ewood Ace said:

Is he really so clueless or just afraid to admit that he has got it wrong for nearly the whole season?  Anyone who knows anything about football can see that Reed is a far superior central midfielder to Evans and Smallwood. Reed's performance last night and at WBA in central midfielder have been miles ahead of anything that Evans has produced in 6 years at the club. This is exactly why Mowbray has to go because otherwise we will not move forward and our exciting young players will not be able to flourish. Just watching last night I was thinking what might have been if we had a manager brave enough to let Rothwell of the leash earlier in the season and who would play our best two central midfielders together regularly, one thing is for certain  we would be higher in the table than we are now.

Again though Mowbray's first thought is defending, he talks about what Smallwood and Evans offer defensively yet we have one of the leagues worst defences. Last night our defence was barley tested because due to Travis and Reed in particular we were always on the front foot, getting the ball forward when we had it and straight into them when they had it. You don't get any of that with Smallwood or Evans, they offer nothing positive with the ball and let the opposition onto them.

Saved me a rant. Cheers

Just now, Paul Mani said:

As long as the owners and CEO are sensible and pragmatic in considering that the manager has achieved his targets then common sense should prevail. 

Im sure that those targets will be revised  for next season and the manager has to meet them.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I thank the lord that you emotionally charged, trigger happy lot aren’t in charge! We’d be going through managers on a weekly basis! ??

Yeah because that the same as what I said. :rolleyes:

• Moderation Lead
1 hour ago, Paul Mani said:

We wouldn’t though, would we?

People were annoyed because we made the same mistakes time and again and they weren’t rectified. As would happen at any other football club. It’s not complicated. 

6 hours ago, Stuart said:

Mowbray is a good manager in League One.

Mowbray is a good manager in L1 with the biggest budget and a team containing players good enough for the Championship.

He was bottom of L1 after ten games without a win at Coventry when he didn't have the biggest budget. 

• Like 1

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

Mowbray is a good manager in L1 with the biggest budget and a team containing players good enough for the Championship.

He was bottom of L1 after ten games without a win at Coventry when he didn't have the biggest budget. 

True enough.

He also struck gold with Dack.

1 hour ago, blueboy3333 said:

How many times have I read on here Mowbray shouldn't be sticking with the players who won promotion??

Suddenly some of them are good enough for the Championship.

How does that work?

27 minutes ago, Paul said:

How many times have I read on here Mowbray shouldn't be sticking with the players who won promotion??

Suddenly some of them are good enough for the Championship.

How does that work?

I haven't said all the players who got promoted are Championship players, I said a side 'containing' Championship players got promoted. That's how it works.

There is still the nucleus of a very decent Championship team at Ewood - Raya, Lenihan, Nyambe, Travis, Dack, Armstrong and Graham all came up from League 1 and all are Championship-quality players, although some are more consistent than others. You could also argue a case for Evans, Williams Smallwood and Mulgrew. At the very least they are very good League 1 players.

The Rovers squad that got promoted was of a much higher standard than anything that comes out of that league normally. Quite a few managers commented last season on our 'Championship' standard team. 

The argument put forward by most people is that SOME of the players that got us promoted have been found out, yet Mowbray keeps picking them. One minute he defends them, the next he slags them. It all depends on the narrative he needs to cover his own back. The second part to the argument is that Mowbray has failed to strengthen the team in key areas yet has wasted millions on a reserve striker who can't get a game. The third part is that he never learns and keeps picking the same team and coming out with nonsense to justify it - his comments on Smallwood/Evans for example. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

Not saying that I've agreed with every decision he's made by any stretch, but to compare him to either of those charlatans, even pure;y on ability and not character, is absolutely ludicrous. 

Fair enough there's no room for sentiment, but it's literally just over 2 months since we were the form team in the division, he was manager of the month and we were hoping for a play offs. All this from a team which had just been promoted. He's not above criticism, and the last 2 months have been dreadful until the Derby game, but some of the hyperbole here is way over the top. 

Comparing him with Coyle & Kean is like comparing night and day.

The comparisons are as football managers.

Mowbray was brought in just over two years to keep us up (his words).  He failed.  If he had kept us up, our position today is only marginally better than it would have been then.  Therefore, our club has barely progressed.

Tactically and player trading wise, there is hardly any difference between the three.

Mowbray's comments and excuses, IMO, are now very similar to the desperate days of Kean and C o y l e.

I don't give a feck about Mowbray's 'nice guy' image, his values or his wife's lemon drizzle cake.

The bottom line is Mowbray is handsomely paid to improve and progress the footballing side of the club.  IMO, we are now regressing, our football, in the main, is dire, our recent results have been appalling and the thousands and thousands of empty seats are an embarrassment. 

In my book he has to go and quick as I think we are going nowhere other than downwards.

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

He’s a good manager mate. That’s not difficult to see. He’s achieving his goals, has a hard working team and has united the fan base with the club. 

Has he made mistakes? Yes. Will he continue to make mistakes? Yes. Will he ever become a Rovers legend? Who knows? 

The point is, that we have a good manager and a team of players who work hard and care. The summer is crucial in us moving forwards and imo will be Tony’s defining moment at Rovers. If he has a great summer then who knows. A bad summer and he may be gone before Christmas.

Well, I didn't call him a bad manager, who could? The question from many fans is, is he the man to take us forwards? I'd bet large section of the fan base are unsure, especially after his many blunders the past 2 months. It's been a very public and self inflicted dip in results, with the manager largely to blame. No manager is perfect, I can accept that but what he needs to do is start learning from his mistakes and play to our strengths. Perhaps also reign in the outlandish comments in the press too, currently he's talking a lot of nonsense that I just cant fathom. I hope he gets it right, he's a good bloke, I want to see good people in football succeed, especially at Rovers. That said, it comes back to that same question, at this level, is he good enough? We'll soon find out. If he learns his lessons, plays our strongest side then he'll do OK. If he starts reverting back to chopping and changing after every result and continues to play Smallwood/Evans in midfield... He'll get what he deserves. 

14 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

"Reed and Travis at times vacate the CM and create holes for teams to annaihilate us in transition and on the counter"

In which particular games did this happen?

You must be able to give full details, so scathing is your analysis.

@Paul Mani - any answer yet? The same request has been made by others in more detail.

Alternatively just admit you made it up.

• Like 3

Until Mowbray changes his approach we won't progress. His approach is not to lose, he doesn't set out to win. Two DM's that never venture forward and '2.5 attackers' = not much fun at Ewood. Travis and Reed play together and it's 5 goals at home and no reply. He may well play the same team as against Derby tomorrow, but he'll revert to type at some point. He's just a very dull manager who plays dull football. 

Setting your team up to stop counter attacks instead of setting your team up to win the game is very Mowbray. Hopefully at some point he'll stop being negative and start being positive. Then we can all be positive, not just the fans that feel positive about his negativity.;) 

Edited by blueboy3333
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

@Paul Mani - any answer yet? The same request has been made by others in more detail.

Alternatively just admit you made it up.

Even if it is true they contribute something going forward.

Evans and Smallwood leave holes even when there sitting in position offering nothing going forward otherwise we wouldn't have the worst defence in the entire football league

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Neal said:

If he starts reverting back to chopping and changing after every result and continues to play Smallwood/Evans in midfield... He'll get what he deserves. 

If he's anything like one of his predecessors that'll be a pay rise!

1 hour ago, blueboy3333 said:

Until Mowbray changes his approach we won't progress. His approach is not to lose, he doesn't set out to win. Two DM's that never venture forward and '2.5 attackers' = not much fun at Ewood. Travis and Reed play together and it's 5 goals at home and no reply. He may well play the same team as against Derby tomorrow, but he'll revert to type at some point. He's just a very dull manager who plays dull football. 

Setting your team up to stop counter attacks instead of setting your team up to win the game is very Mowbray. Hopefully at some point he'll stop being negative and start being positive. Then we can all be positive, not just the fans that feel positive about his negativity.;) 

Think a lot of Rovers fans would have Big Sam back but he was probably the most negative manager we’ve had.

• Like 1

His comments in the LT trying to dig himself out of the Brereton signing sum it for me now it's utter garbled nonsense i'm afraid.

Yes the lad might come good we hope he does but that isn't the issue and from that interview it's clear he's no real idea actually WHY he signed him other than he was a rated kid and he MIGHT come good in time and the owners are up for that sort of thing.  No way in hell is that really a football decision it's just a potential money making investment and the guy still doesn't know whether he's a winger or a striker even though the lad himself and everyone else says he's a striker.  No not good old tony i'll spend  7 million on a young striker then try and make him into a winger just to fit my team, i'll not even play him as a striker when I alter that team from the way it's set up to accommodate the first choice 9 & 10 !!!!!!

Mans a confused mixed bag of contradictions what they hell is in those biscuits ?

• Like 5