Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Mowbray: Stay or go?

Mowbray: Stay or Go?  

245 members have voted

1. 1. Choices

• Stay
    • Go

16 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

It always seems to take Armstrong an extra split second to get his shot off, which means they are often blocked.

Another difference from League 1.

Is that not a confidence thing? Playing more centrally in Janurary he became more instictive. Since he has been shunted out wide again he has to think more about the game and his confidence drops again causing that extra split second of indecisivness. Another case in point of Mowbray not playing to a player's strengths

16 hours ago, Don Said said:

At the time of signing he was a 21 year old forward, with 40ish league one and championship goals under his belt, also played and scored at every level for England up to u21's.

All opinions but I wouldn't say paying £1.75m with that record and further development potential in today's market is anywhere near over the top.

Not on the wing though!

15 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

He definitely does not have a poor touch, in fact ive seen him numerous times pluck a ball out of the air and stop it dead.

Also, Alex Neil said after he came here that he had done so choosing us over Preston so thats not true either.

I dont think hes offered enough and I think hed be better placed on the right rather than the left as he can use his pace to go on the outside. His decision making is a major downfall.

God knows what Mowbray sees to seperate him and Rothwell defensively either.

Actually think the old inside left or right would suit him better, exploiting the space between centre half and full back. such as the vast space left between Mulgrew and Williams/Bell which regularly gets exploited by other teams. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

I think his return has been pretty good for a lad playing out on the wing. He's contributed to a few goals as well. I honestly thought he had scored more than 4 though so it shows how clouded my judgement probably is on him!!

His performance vs Leeds at home shows me that there is a player somewhere in there. You just feel in the system he is being played in he isn't ever going to get a chance to lead the line for a prolonged period of time.

The Leeds performance also showed how he can be taken out of the game when Leeds changed tactics and fullbacks.

2 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Certainly different than the rhetoric you hear from most other managers. They are usually bemoaning their lack of time and need to get results immediately as that’s the industry.

Kean used to talk about time in exactly the same way.

57 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/17570881.mowbray-on-goals-against-column-and-away-day-inconsistency/?action=success#comments-feedback-anchor

Today's b ollocks from the wacky world of Tony. Apparently we've just been 'a little inconsistent' away from home ?

There is a missing link that's been gone some time.

If anyone finds it send it to Tony c/o Ewood Park with instructions to insert between Brain and Mouth.

3 hours ago, dingles staying down 4ever said:

Not on the wing though!

Armstrong would have a great signing 20 years ago when most teams played with 2 up front. Normally a big target man and a nippy little player along side him. That style of football seems to have gone out of fashion. If we played like that now with Graham and Armstrong up front where would Dack play ? Armstrong's not a winger and he's best suited to a way of playing we don't use even when we're chasing the game. I said as much when we signed him back in the Summer.

• Like 2

• Backroom
2 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/17570881.mowbray-on-goals-against-column-and-away-day-inconsistency/?action=success#comments-feedback-anchor

Today's b ollocks from the wacky world of Tony. Apparently we've just been 'a little inconsistent' away from home ?

Just the 44 goals conceded away compared to 19 a home. A minor inconsistency/the most away goals conceded of any club in the division. Just a minor issue. 

2 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

We have been very consistent.... consistently crap.

I was just reading how next season we are going to be a highly technical side with Ben scoring loads of goals as a centre forward.

That would indicate either we had better get some technically gifted players in or Tony is chatting shite.

?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

That link takes you to the first comment from the LT intelligentsia. Apparently, wanting Mowbray to strengthen in January to try for the play-offs means that he should have “over paid” and “panic bought”.

Thank F Mowbray would never do that.

610172C3-375B-4270-9E8D-DB7855F3E6AE.png

3 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Armstrong would have a great signing 20 years ago when most teams played with 2 up front. Normally a big target man and a nippy little player along side him. That style of football seems to have gone out of fashion. If we played like that now with Graham and Armstrong up front where would Dack play ? Armstrong's not a winger and he's best suited to a way of playing we don't use even when we're chasing the game. I said as much when we signed him back in the Summer.

Yes you're right. One way next season, on the presumption Dack goes, is to go 3 at the back, play with wing backs with Rothwell and Armstrong narrow playing off Graham.

Dack adds to the problem as I can't see him playing like that.

These games can be a bit misleading when players in all teams start thinking about the beach but there does remain the possibility Mowbray could yet turn out to be a football genius.

Getting best out of Rothwell now, finally seeing through Mulgrew and only starting with one defensive mid, oh and blooding Williams as a centre back.  Did he chuck Rodwell in the middle as well ?

He's just slow to catch on to what we already knew that's all !

Edited by tomphil

God knows. 

He doesnt learn and changes nothing, then when he does and the results come you think finally something has clicked, then the post match comments show he has learned nothing. Although today in his defense he didn't do what I thought he would and revert to type as he so often has . 

However the pressure is off now so even if he keeps it up and we win every game until the end of the season, when it matters will he be brave enough to carry on in this manner or are we back to nine wounded soldiers an ageing artist and a piss artist. 

It makes it more infuriating when he gets it right because you know what's round the corner yet the eternal blue and white optimism ( that diminishes weekly) says this time he must see what we see and a corner has been turned. 

He isn't going anywhere anyway so may as well enjoy the waltzer tony likes us all to ride

• Like 1

• Backroom

I don't think we'll learn much from these last games. Pressure is off, and both manager and players will have a different mindset. Every time we've come close to the top six we've bottled it and in the past few months in particular came close to putting ourselves into an unlikely relegation scrap with such dismal form. It's all a bit Bowyer-esque. 

• Like 3

A lot has to change still before anyone can say Mowbray has turned a corner.

I still believe we need a better manager but he has seen us safe and now has to show that he is going to do something different next season. Now is all about planning for August.

He should get the chance to build a new team over the Summer IF he uses these games to take a look at some options. There is no need to play Smallwood and Evans in the next five games so he needs to not do that.

Buckley, Butterworth and Rankin-Costello should get a go, not all at the same time, and Lenihan and Williams the chance to form a partnership. Probably also needs to give Brereton a run of starts.

• Like 5

A few things in the last 2 games have impressed me from Mowbray aside from the results. I havent seen the game today but Rothwell scoring 2 superb goals in 2 games has hopefully meant that the penny has dropped in terms of starting him. I was happy that Mulgrew didnt come back in today, that Reed and Travis played in central midfield on Tuesday, and today I am pleased that playing 2 wide men with the thought process of how they can hurt the opponent rather than this "defensive wingers" crap.

Ultimately, we need a new left back, centre back and goalkeeper as a matter of urgency, I expect that we will bring in a centre back but I am unconvinced that we are going to replace Bell or Raya, both of whom are regular and consistent liabilities. I am also unconvinced that he is going to have the ruthlessness to stop needing to stick Bennett into every game in whatever position is missing, or that the likes of Mulgrew and Smallwood will be edged out.

• Like 1

I don't think there is any doubt now that Mowbray will start next season as manager.  The fans are still behind him, particularly at away games - which is where they usually start to turn if a manager is in trouble.  Ultimately he task this season was to keep up away from the relegation zone and this he has done with relative ease - you only have to look at Wigan and Rotherham to see what could have happened.

I believe the last two games have shown that he can take us forward with the right players on the pitch.  Rothwell, although not the finished article, has finally come good at the right time and the partnership between Lenihan and Williams has given the defence a solid platform.  Williams has looked far better in the centre than at left-back which remains an area that needs to be strengthened.

The manager knows what he needs and I fully expect him to make those signings in the summer with one or two who served us well in League One finally leaving.

With what we have coming through from the Under-23's and with some astute additions there is no reason why next season shouldn't be a better one for all concerned.

• Like 1

Just now, Parsonblue said:

The manager knows what he needs and I fully expect him to make those signings in the summer with one or two who served us well in League One finally leaving.

With what we have coming through from the Under-23's and with some astute additions there is no reason why next season shouldn't be a better one for all concerned.

I’ve no expectation that Mowbray knows what he needs or will let go of players he has recently given improved contracts to.

However, with money to spend and an excellent young talent pool, he has no excuses for not making next season better than this one. In real terms that means play-off hopefuls.

I would be fickle if I changed my mind after two decent results in the same way that I would be the other way after two bad results. For me it’s still a - we can do better and I’d like us to change- however, it’s not going to matter what I think as he is here for a considerable time yet , the way he has positioned himself