Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Mowbray: Stay or go?

Mowbray: Stay or Go?  

245 members have voted

1. 1. Choices

• Stay
    • Go

1 hour ago, Paul Mani said:

Can someone find the bit where I said every time we play Reed and Travis in midfield together we get annaihilited please?

The point I made related to the discussion on Reed and Travis but was about midfielders who vacate the midfield.

I do not think anyone has previously said "every time"

Page 25, find it yourself

Edited by AllRoverAsia

1 hour ago, blueboy3333 said:

No, it's based on the FACT he signed BB for £7m instead of signing a GK, a CB and a LB.

It's based on his poor record in general in the transfer market, which BB is a massive part of.  

Also based on the FACT he said in February that it would be difficult to sign better players than the CB's we already have and then changed his tune to 'I know we need defenders' a month later when were getting pumped. We'd already been pumped regularly in Nov/Dec so he was actually talking out of his arse anyway. 

Then there's his 'human qualities' of being 'loyal' that seriously impairs his judgement and costs the team points.

Then there's not picking the players in their best positions.

Then there' his '2 and a half' attacker bullshit - the theory being you can only have an attacking winger on one side of the pitch and not both because otherwise you'd leave yourself open. Amazingly yesterday we actually played with  3 and a half attackers and didn't get pumped, We didn't need a 'Bennett or a Conway' on the wing to balance things out, we had two proper attackers out wide. Puts his BS about Chapman not playing last season into perspective too. 

The legend of the Oldham full-back. Mowbray's negativity in a nutshell.

Also that he sets up his team to 'stop counter-attacks' - which explains our pitiful goals return at Ewood in the first half of matches.

Tony tends to make it up as he goes along. His judgement IMO is flawed and so is his character. He may be a 'nice guy' but you don't 'stay loyal' to players who are contributing to the team getting stuffed most weeks. Mowbray did exactly that. 

I could go on....emotion is a real bugger. ??

That wasn't a quote from my post that you replied to.

1 hour ago, Paul Mani said:

It will for you Stu. I never care much for the past. The present and more importantly the future is all we have ??

Nonsense. Would you be happy if we brought back Coyle? Or Kean?

Just now, Biz said:

0096F602-248D-41BD-B1F0-9FB714F81419.jpeg

Lol. I give way to the honourable gentleman whose knowledge of straw man arguments is clearly superior to mine.

However, ignoring history was a rather broad and ridiculous notion.

Two good wins (after a dreadful run) shouldn't paper over the flaws in Mowbray's management this season.  I feel it's been a wasted season because we have some talented players who with some good signings should have been able to get us nearer the play-offs.  The problem as has been well documented has been the manager's poor decision making on and off the field. I still think we will be in a relegation battle next season with Mowbray in charge and the present squad of players. 

Edited by jim mk2
  • Like 2

Just now, Stuart said:

Lol. I give way to the honourable gentleman whose knowledge of straw man arguments is clearly superior to mine.

However, ignoring history was a rather broad and ridiculous notion.

No one is ignoring history. Some people choose not to live in it.

2 hours ago, imy9 said:

We dont see the players in training but i would say this, Travis was brought into the team by Tony and Rothwell bought by him, so surely he gets credit for both?

Yeah, you could say that, though you'd have to be blind to completely ignore a prospect like Travis coming through the ranks. 

Even if Mowbray did take credit for identifying them, I'd say it's clear both Travis and Rothwell should have been regular starters far earlier than they have been - and I'd say the fact he says them every day in training and can see how good they are makes it more mystifying that it's taken so long!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

It’s a constant shifting of the ground to fit an argument mate. 

He loses games and it’s his fault. He wins games and he’s lucky. Even worse, there’s a genuine belief that they know so much more than the manager, regardless of the fact that we never see the players in training, have no idea of personal issues etc. The manager fronts all of that up btw.

He loses 9 games in 13 or whatever and is castigated but keeps hitting season goals by pure luck...??

Players performance in training is irrelevant if those players cannot perform on a matchday, see both Brereton and Gladwin for that.

The main worry is his loyalty to some senior players; giving them power to govern the dressing room can make it difficult to then move them on if their performances warrant it.

You look at numerous members of that, Bennett is shoehorned in irrespective of performances week on week, Mulgrew has clearly had his day and our performances and results with him are far inferior to those without him, Conway has put in 2 good performances this season but his legs have gone and Smallwood has been left behind by a number of superior options in central midfield. Do I have faith that he will be ruthless, that he does "knows what is needed in the summer" and that none of these players who have been good to us in the past but are not going to push us forward will be in the starting 11 on the first day of next season? No and thats my worry.

For me, looking at our current team I think I would only be comfortable if 5 of the current side started the first game on next season, Dack, Graham, Rothwell, Travis and Lenihan. There are potential other starters in the squad that for whatever reason are not involved at the moment. Rodwell has the ability to start in central midfield, and has quality perhaps above the rest of the squad. Why yesterday did Evans start ahead of him in midfield? I think Armstrong has been in the main disappointing this season, would like to see Chapman start the last 4 games. And Nyambe is a much better right back than Bennett, goes back to my point about shoehorning him in. I would like to see us be more ambitious in our loans next season, get a couple of top loanees and it can really prop you up. Would love Reece James here.

The Brereton deal, or more so the cost of it, and no matter how much people try and belittle the cost, it was a massive fee and presumably at least competitive wages, has besmirched Mowbrays reputation in two ways. This is a player who has looked as far out of his depth when he has played as anyone I can remember in recent memory. If we had spent 3m in the summer, expectations would possibly be much  more in line with stability being a very good first season. Ultimately, if your budget goes up to above 10m, expectations do accelerate as a result quite rightfully, and when you look at how we have got nothing from the majority of that budget, it naturally begs questions about what could have happened had we spent the money wisely. Also, would you trust him to spend loads of money considering how badly hes blown the last budget.

One thing that I do agree with is that its important to give credit where its due. We got promoted and Mowbray was obviously a big part of that and deserves credit. I was angry at him for what I perceived to be forfeiting the title for no good reason, and I do think that promotion was an expectation, but he deserved credit for it nonetheless.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

If Stuart were here he’d probably ask you to apologise for your disingenuous tone....ohhh wait a minute. 

Disingenuous? I thought your post was very philosophical. Did you not mean it?

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/17576102.rovers-boss-mowbray-is-looking-up/

He's blooding some youngsters for the last four games which is good.

He's still making a lot of excuses and re-writing history which is bad. 

More worrying for some is that Conway no longer manages the dressing room, it's now DG, Bennett and Mulgrew. ;)

Lots of optimism for next season. He's going to buy quality defenders, BB will become a 'superstar' and I'll become irresistible to women. That's probably a bit far-fetched, BB will never become a superstar and Mulgrew will still be first choice. 

Edited by blueboy3333
  • Like 1

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/17576102.rovers-boss-mowbray-is-looking-up/

He's blooding some youngsters for the last four games which is good.

He's still making a lot of excuses and re-writing history which is bad. 

More worrying for some is that Conway no longer manages the dressing room, it's now DG, Bennett and Mulgrew. ;)

Lots of optimism for next season. He's going to buy quality defenders, BB will become a 'superstar' and I'll become irresistible to women. That's probably a bit far-fetched, BB will never become a superstar and Mulgrew will still be first choice. 

I hope Danny is Top Dog in there but doubt he's the one who brings Teacher an apple every day.

At the start of the season I predicted (maybe on here somewhere) that we would make a flying start with the momentum of last season before tailing off to finish around 14th in the league, this looks as though it could be pretty much how it happens. Unfortunately the flying start lasted longer and the tailing off was sudden and dramatic which has seen many myself included questioning Mowbrays suitability. However had the results panned out more evenly with no long run of either good or bad results I would have been happy this season to finish around 14th.

So for me its stay    

• Like 2

Just now, pk1875 said:

At the start of the season I predicted (maybe on here somewhere) that we would make a flying start with the momentum of last season before tailing off to finish around 14th in the league, this looks as though it could be pretty much how it happens. Unfortunately the flying start lasted longer and the tailing off was sudden and dramatic which has seen many myself included questioning Mowbrays suitability. However had the results panned out more evenly with no long run of either good or bad results I would have been happy this season to finish around 14th.

So for me its stay    

And next season without momentum? 

After another strong performance from the U23s I'd like to see one of the young centre backs give a whirl alongside Lenihan before the end of the season.

Not next game as Williams played well last time out and we should keep the same team. But when we do need a change let's go for a youngster over Mulgrew or Rodwell.

Also would love to see Chapman on the bench.

Edited by joey_big_nose
  • Like 1

Just listened to Chris Wilders post match interview "for 2 years we've played to win games and today we took a step backwards and played safe, you're not going to win anything playing like that"

Take note Tony Mowbray. 

• Like 3