Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Mowbray: Stay or go?

Mowbray: Stay or Go?  

245 members have voted

1. 1. Choices

• Stay
    • Go

1 hour ago, Paul Mani said:

It’s brave to put yourself up as a target when you know there will be at least 10 teams with better budgets than you next season.

But for injuries to key players we prob would’ve finished just outside of the playoffs this season. So regardless of you, me or anyone else saying he should’ve played this person or that person, we’ve done well. Either way, we are always going to be shopping for the Dacks and Rothwells of this world. If we wanted to buy a Dack this summer we wouldn’t be able to afford him.

So, on the back foot, Mowbray is being brave. Because in spite all of this if he doesn’t get us into that position then you, me and everyone else will be unhappy! 

If we could have played for 90 minutes in games we might have actually been in the play-offs !

3 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

Mowbray has done a great job (so far). It’s not easy to come into a crack pot club, revitalise it, steer it away from certain doom and towards success.

Those who insist that going up last season was a nothing achievement are wrong. Especially for a club with our problems. Look at Sunderland? Money is not the only factor.

I don’t call 59 points with two games to go in our first season back in the Championship ‘plodding’. Preston are a seasoned Championship team now and are perceived to have had an amazing season. They’re currently 1pt above us on 60.

The key here is that we must continue to progress on this upwards curve. It is true that things will get harder now because we don’t have the funds to compete with the top teams in this league. Add the three who will drop down from the Prem and this gets even harder. Add to that the points you made about Venkys speed of work which are further barriers. 

BUT the manager has been brave enough to stick his neck out and say he wants to challenge at the top of the Championship next season. In truth, regardless of the circus around him and funding restrictions he will carry the can of we’re not in and around the playoffs.

I would agree that even though promotion was still a expectation, it can still also be very much considered an achievement.

But minor point, I dont think Prestons season has been described as "amazing" by anyone. They had a horrendous start where they ended a good 10 points below us, theyve been ravaged by injuries and of course recently a dip in form has coincided with their manager being linked away. Theyve been much closer to the play offs in the last 2 seasons.

• Like 1

Getting a bit fed up of comparisons to PNE if i'm being honest, go speak to some of their diehards and they are still envious of the set up and budget we have at Rovers. They still think we buy our way out of trouble, 7 mill on BB, funding a Cat 1 Academy and our overall wage bill fuel that view and compared to them you can understand it so I think it's about time they got left out of the debates.

We've only been below the Championship one season in about 7 years and I don't think they can say the same so over all who is the more Championship set up  standard club ?

We should be as good as if not better than them in the bigger picture, i'll be expecting we should be next season.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Getting a bit fed up of comparisons to PNE if i'm being honest, go speak to some of their diehards and they are still envious of the set up and budget we have at Rovers. They still think we buy our way out of trouble, 7 mill on BB, funding a Cat 1 Academy and our overall wage bill fuel that view and compared to them you can understand it so I think it's about time they got left out of the debates.

We've only been below the Championship one season in about 7 years and I don't think they can say the same so over all who is the more Championship set up  standard club ?

We should be as good as if not better than them in the bigger picture, i'll be expecting we should be next season.

Preston's scouting and recruitment on a limited budget has been very successful over recent seasons.

It's one thing we are sorely lacking and need to sort out as a priority.

• Like 3

If lessons have been learned this season, I'm happy for Mowbray to carry on.

Then again, I remember saying the same thing about Bowyer at the end of 13/14. Sometimes I wonder if both managers are more progressive and attack-minded when there's nothing to play for. The moment it looks like the team could mount a promotion charge it's 'backs to the walls sh*t your pants time'.

• Like 3

Just now, Crimpshrine said:

Preston's scouting and recruitment on a limited budget has been very successful over recent seasons.

It's one thing we are sorely lacking and need to sort out as a priority.

Arguably their scouting has had to be successful, as on their budget they are unable to do it any other way. If they weren't good at unearthing gems they'd likely be back in League One. They certainly don't have the facilities, academy or finances available that we have.

We could try to emulate their approach but it seems, given our business in recent years, that we don't want to do that.

Given where we were last season and the season before I'm happy to be rubbing shoulders with them in mid-table, though my aim for the remaining 2 games would be to get above them and get into the top half and hope the manager does too. Moving forward now we have survived we need to be getting above them.

Given our annual losses at the last count were £10 million a year more than theirs and we've spent heavily on Brereton and Armstrong, I don't think it is arrogant or wrong to expect us to climb above them. I'll be disappointed if we don't given the above.

If we want to compete with them then we should get our losses down to less than £10 million a year like theirs are, give up the academy and get our wage bill and transfer budget down to their level. Then we'd have to follow their route and unearth gems but we might struggle to do it as successfully as they have.

5 hours ago, Amo said:

If lessons have been learned this season, I'm happy for Mowbray to carry on.

Then again, I remember saying the same thing about Bowyer at the end of 13/14. Sometimes I wonder if both managers are more progressive and attack-minded when there's nothing to play for. The moment it looks like the team could mount a promotion charge it's 'backs to the walls sh*t your pants time'.

You might have a point as both only take the shackles off now and again in season and I also think both preach caution to their teams in the prep worrying more about modest opposition strengths rather than focusing on our strengths and their weaknesses. They probably cover all aspects to be fair but GB was over compensating for his lack of experience and Mowbray definitely over complicates things at times.

That's unless they say completely different things on the training pitch and in the dressing room and give off a different vibe to what they say in public pre/post most games.

9 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Sunderland have been unfortunate in that Luton have been unstoppable. Shrewsbury last season started out in the same manner but ultimately fell away, Luton haven't.

Mate, Sunderland are 4th!! That’s nothing to do with Luton! ?

It’s just proof that it’s not bloody easy! 

I suspect that if offered midtable with 60 ish points preseason then most of us would have said "ta very much - that'll do nicely" ?

Ironically TMs success in the beginning raised expectations and then the dreadful run raised fears as the contrast was stark. If he only learns one thing between now and next season i hope it is the ability to find a way to break that sort of run - be it gung-ho or 10 men behind the ball ?

• Like 3

9 hours ago, tomphil said:

As I recall, the PNE comparisons began on here during our bad run, it being pointed out their in-demand manager had done some stellar January recruitment to push on to the playoffs. 3 points from the last 18....

And they did finish 7th last year.

2 hours ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

As I recall, the PNE comparisons began on here during our bad run, it being pointed out their in-demand manager had done some stellar January recruitment to push on to the playoffs. 3 points from the last 18....

And they did finish 7th last year.

All about perception. They had a dodgy start but came on strong = a great season.

We started well and faded away = fail

In actual fact we’ve done well. As have Preston on a very similar budget.

Edited by Paul Mani
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Roverthechimp said:

I suspect that if offered midtable with 60 ish points preseason then most of us would have said "ta very much - that'll do nicely" ?

Ironically TMs success in the beginning raised expectations and then the dreadful run raised fears as the contrast was stark. If he only learns one thing between now and next season i hope it is the ability to find a way to break that sort of run - be it gung-ho or 10 men behind the ball ?

That occurred to me! TM didn't seem to react strongly to that bad run and, at the time, I couldn't see it ending.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Roverthechimp said:

Gung ho for me, shackles off, timid pre match comments tossed in the bin and just attack. If they get beaten they can hold their heads up and I bet they would,nt lose 10 in a row. 

• Like 3

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/17592767.why-rovers-boss-opted-to-use-ben-brereton-in-the-no9-role/

"I think we need to try and get away from the almost one dimensional style of a diagonal ball to Graham, knock down to Dack, which has worked so well for us over the last couple of seasons"

Good to see Tony's been listening to the experts. 

BRFCS - Football consultants. No job too big. 

• Like 2

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/17592767.why-rovers-boss-opted-to-use-ben-brereton-in-the-no9-role/

"I think we need to try and get away from the almost one dimensional style of a diagonal ball to Graham, knock down to Dack, which has worked so well for us over the last couple of seasons"

what by? by playing the one dimensional ball to Bereton instead? D. Lenihan needs the memo as several times he tried it on Saturday and it didn't work

8 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

My main concern with the site becoming member only is our league position will suffer heavily.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, blueboy3333 said:

He’s so negative!

Actually, it’s interesting the cycle that we now have.

- Rovers have a terrible run

- Fans point out where the feel he is going wrong (certain players favoured over others, several played out of position)

- Mowbray carries on regardless, and continues to lose

- Fans start to question Mowbray’s approach

- Get called negative and haters by “the faithful”

- Tony changes to the suggested personnel/tactics

- Rovers go on a great run

- Mowbray is a genius and we should have kept the faith - “where are all the haters now?”

- Fans who made the suggestions are slagged off for being permanently negative and “can’t give the manager credit” and at best “easy in hindsight”

Fans are amateurs who play at it and guys like Tony are professionals who get paid to make tough decisions (or get sacked - at normal clubs, obvs). But every now and again, the manager is wrong and fans are right.

• Like 2

@Stuart

It’s only a couple of weeks ago you couldn’t so much as smile on here without someone jumping down your throat.

A paragraph that began with “I think on balance TM has done a decent job...” was ridiculed, berated and pounced on before you’d had a chance to have your reasoning ignored.

It goes both ways.

Dems the breaks.

Your persecution complex is starting to grate a little now.

1 hour ago, blueboy3333 said:

Christ, four wins in a row , correct team selection, off scouting Europe and comments like that. I'm going to have to change my vote if he keeps this up. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blueboy3333 said:

EFL Championship top teams - GW44 Pass accuracy 1 Blackburn Rovers 86% #Rovers 2 Norwich City 84% #NCFC 3 Aston Villa 83% #AVFC 4 Swansea 82% #Swans 5 Leeds United 80% #LUFC = Reading 80% #ReadingFC = Bolton Wanderers 80% #BWFC

EFL Championship top teams – GW44 Completed passes 1 Norwich City 513 #NCFC 2 Blackburn Rovers 501 #Rovers 3 Swansea 469 #Swans 4 Leeds United 431 #LUFC 5 Hull City 391 #HCAFC 6 Aston Villa 383 #AVFC

Off to a decent start albeit against a poor and obviously relegated Bolton. Onwards and upwards Tony !

12 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

Mate, Sunderland are 4th!! That’s nothing to do with Luton! ?

It’s just proof that it’s not bloody easy! 

it's not easy of course but their expectations were to get promoted much the same as ours were. They are performing below expectations and TM hit his targets and rightly deserves credit for it. That said, both teams really should have got out - the fact that Sunderland are not finding it easy suggests there's some real problems there.

To drop two divisions in two seasons and then if they dont get straight back up - it would be pretty disastrous stuff. I imagine they thought they'd walk it much like us and Wigan but its not until you get there that you realise you still have to perform. Took us a few games for our players to realise this and start playing.

2 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

Interesting he finally accepts this I was thinking about recently and at the beginning of the season especially away there did seem to be a shift to a quick counter attacking style with the ball on the deck more and it caught a lot of teams out.  Don't think TM was comfortable with the fast starts and racing into leads only to keep getting pegged back and nearly throw it away again so quite simply he reverted to type until the inclusion of Travis shook things up again,

Then of course he reverted to type again but take away the option of two defensive mids being his preferred choice and we'll then and only then really move away from that style permanently in my opinion. Sit back pass it around the back, try and draw the oppo out a bit and hoof it over the top for the knockdowns - rinse and repeat.

If he continues with that he needs another good target man and to mix Dack up with Rothwell or another to keep it fresh one of the most bonkers things this season which has gone under the radar a bit now was him keep moving Dack into DGs position when he went off.  How many times did that back fire this season ?  Quite a few i'd say.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

it's not easy of course but their expectations were to get promoted much the same as ours were. They are performing below expectations and TM hit his targets and rightly deserves credit for it. That said, both teams really should have got out - the fact that Sunderland are not finding it easy suggests there's some real problems there.

To drop two divisions in two seasons and then if they dont get straight back up - it would be pretty disastrous stuff. I imagine they thought they'd walk it much like us and Wigan but its not until you get there that you realise you still have to perform. Took us a few games for our players to realise this and start playing.

They've been up against Luton who are having a tremendous season and Barnsley who've been going well from the start. Last season Shrewsbury were our " Luton " and Wigan were our " Barnsley ". Luckily for us the wheels fell off at just the right time at Shrewsbury. 

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces