SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Mowbray: Stay or go?

Mowbray: Stay or Go?  

245 members have voted

1. 1. Choices

• Stay
    • Go

Keep with the more attacking lineups of late and the more fluid style of play and FINALLY correcting our defensive needs in the coming window (as well as a new LB, Gk, and striker) and he wins me back :)

I'm kind of on the fence anyway - its a tough call when you consider the good he has done for this club. That run though and the loyalty to players that were hurting the team drove me crazy.

• Like 5

“Great credit to the fans for making the trips and hopefully they’ve enjoyed the season.

“Next season, I hope they enjoy it even more, because we want to win more games and will be hopefully pushing for the top two or the play-offs in a year from now." TM.

... for all those questioning TMs ambitions for next season. 

• Like 1

• Backroom
Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Thought Tony came accross great last night. Very passionate and honest. Now to do the plan! 

Yep, at the supporters' meeting a couple of months back he made it clear he knew exactly what needed to be done. A huge summer ahead for TM. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Thought Tony came accross great last night. Very passionate and honest. Now to do the plan! 

Back to the TM that is endearing to fans.

Some of his ramblings in the second half of the season were odd at best. Classics like Reed is not as good as Evans and Smallwood and is why he's not playing centrally spring to mind. 

Just now, JacknOry said:

Back to the TM that is endearing to fans.

Some of his ramblings in the second half of the season were odd at best. Classics like Reed is not as good as Evans and Smallwood and is why he's not playing centrally spring to mind. 

I would put that down to the collapse. He obviously realised that he showed too much loyalty, but contrary to what some think, it's not easy to sort that in January. 

He didn't exactly say that they are better than Reed, it was more along the lines that they know how to play his system better. 

On 01/05/2019 at 20:32, HowieFive0 said:

“Great credit to the fans for making the trips and hopefully they’ve enjoyed the season.

“Next season, I hope they enjoy it even more, because we want to win more games and will be hopefully pushing for the top two or the play-offs in a year from now." TM.

... for all those questioning TMs ambitions for next season. 

I didn't think much of his ambition this season. We got 47 points and he got his hammock out.

As for his ambitions for next season, is he capable of achieving them? Time will tell.

Just now, 47er said:

I didn't think much of his ambition this season. We got 47 points and he got his hammock out.

As for his ambitions for next season, is he capable of achieving them? Time will tell.

Not sure id say he d got his "hammock out" at 47 pts but more maybe "found out" by the opposition that we d major defensive problems that TM was very reluctant to change (old guard etc etc )

Just as its easy to level that he was in his hammock in that 11 game disaster run  you could argue he certainly wasn't in it when we upped our game/personnel to go and suddenly win 4 on the bounce .? Unless the opposition where then in their hammocks !

When it mattered we went on that dismal losing streak and were never going to recover. I was pleased we got those 4 wins but I'm disappointed we didn't go on with our earlier form. I don't hold with having 2 or 3 year plans for promotion, you go all out for it and grab any chances that come your way.

• Like 2

Just now, 47er said:

When it mattered we went on that dismal losing streak and were never going to recover. I was pleased we got those 4 wins but I'm disappointed we didn't go on with our earlier form. I don't hold with having 2 or 3 year plans for promotion, you go all out for it and grab any chances that come your way.

Ya, silly long-term planning- a mugs game really 

• Like 1

Just now, 47er said:

Sounds more reasonable than a 10 year plan to do a paint job

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Ya, silly long-term planning- a mugs game really 

In modern football, I don't think many clubs can prepare a long term plan as things can go wrong very quickly, then it's all change again.

IMO we really should have pushed the boat out for a couple of quality players In January and see where it took us, we were in great form at the time so you never know what could have happened, and at worst we would have had two quality players that we wouldn't have had to find this summer that had already integrated with the squad etc.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Mowbray did come across well last night but so did bowyer and dare I say it coyle when they did there meetings. The old saying is the proof is in the pudding

Exactly. Talk is cheap (& easy).

Turning words into successful actions won't be that simple.

The recent upturn in form provides a little more hope that Mowbray can take us forward.

All we can do is watch and hope.

Just now, MarkBRFC said:

In modern football, I don't think many clubs can prepare a long term plan as things can go wrong very quickly, then it's all change again.

IMO we really should have pushed the boat out for a couple of quality players In January and see where it took us, we were in great form at the time so you never know what could have happened, and at worst we would have had two quality players that we wouldn't have had to find this summer that had already integrated with the squad etc.

Of course you can prepare a long-term plan. To not do it because "things can go wrong" would lead to no one ever planning anything , in any field. 

The January window could definitely have been better. Not an easy time to sign players though. Can you think of any Championship teams who made what you would describe as a good signing in January? Mings at Villa comes to mind and possibly Mikel at Boro, both on enormous wages. The biggest mistake was letting Downing leave. Players are notoriously expensive in January. Your example above is the ideal outcome, we could also have spent 10 million and be stuck with a player, or players who aren't worth the money. 

Of course you can prepare a long-term plan. To not do it because "things can go wrong" would lead to no one ever planning anything , in any field. 

The January window could definitely have been better. Not an easy time to sign players though. Can you think of any Championship teams who made what you would describe as a good signing in January? Mings at Villa comes to mind and possibly Mikel at Boro, both on enormous wages. The biggest mistake was letting Downing leave. Players are notoriously expensive in January. Your example above is the ideal outcome, we could also have spent 10 million and be stuck with a player, or players who aren't worth the money. 

That club up the road made a number of sensible signings in January which helped to push them up the league while we went in the opposite direction. What was it, from 7 points ahead of them to 7 points behind them or something? Sure, they've faltered lately and finishing above them is all we have to aim for now. 

Even if the right players werent available or too expensive, we could have at least brought in a couple on loan - specifically at the back.

Edited by JacknOry

Just now, Ewood Ace said:

Words are all well and good but as he has demonstrated on numerous occasions what he says and what he does can be two very different things. Action is needed not words.

Just like politicians. I'll believe what Mowbray says when the new players walk through the door.

• Like 1

Just now, JacknOry said:

That club up the road made a number of sensible signings in January which helped to push them up the league while we went in the opposite direction. What was it, from 7 points ahead of them to 7 points behind them or something? Sure, they've faltered lately and finishing above them is all we have to aim for now. 

Even if the right players werent available or too expensive, we could have at least brought in a couple on loan - specifically at the back.

Which signings improved Preston? 

Ya, we definitely should have signed a centre half on loan 

Which signings improved Preston? 

Ya, we definitely should have signed a centre half on loan 

Brad Potts, Jayden Stockley and to a lesser extent Joe Rafferty

• Like 1

Just now, JacknOry said:

Brad Potts, Jayden Stockley and to a lesser extent Joe Rafferty

Ya, Preston have a good approach to transfers, they have picked up some serious bargains from the League of Ireland as well. Hopefully we still pass them Sunday though 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel