Mowbray: Stay or go?

Mowbray: Stay or Go?  

245 members have voted

1. 1. Choices

• Stay
    • Go

• 1 month later...

https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2019/june/a-productive-trip-to-pune/

No guarantees when he talks to the owners, but Top 6/Top 2/Bouncing through the leagues when he aims his message at the fans.

He wants his Lemon Drizzle cake and he wants to eat it. 

Where was the article he mentioned the Top 2. It was in the LT I think but can't find it?

Edited by blueboy3333

Mowbray now claiming on the official website that Stoke and Middlesbrough are huge clubs with huge fanbase and we have to look forward to competing with them. 

Very disappointing and insulting comments in my opinion and I don't appreciate them being published on our official website. 

Even if Mowbray believes that I don't want him or anyone else at Rovers saying it. 

I believe he is incorrect in any event but then again Mowbray has form for saying things that are simply wrong or gross exaggerations to suit himself. 

Edited by JHRover

2 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2019/june/a-productive-trip-to-pune/

No guarantees when he talks to the owners, but Top 6/Top 2/Bouncing through the leagues when he aims his message at the fans.

He wants his Lemon Drizzle cake and he wants to eat it. 

Where was the article he mentioned the Top 2. It was in the LT I think but can't find it?

I just let the claptrap wash past me these days, it's a coping mechanism. He's got his feet well under the table, schooling fees looking safe.

I hope Dack doesn't read that article.

Edited by AllRoverAsia
  • Like 1

• Moderation Lead
Just now, JHRover said:

Mowbray now claiming on the official website that Stoke and Middlesbrough are huge clubs with huge fanbase and we have to look forward to competing with them. 

Very disappointing and insulting comments in my opinion and I don't appreciate them being published on our official website. 

Even if Mowbray believes that I don't want him or anyone else at Rovers saying it. 

I believe it is simply wrong in any event but then again Mowbray has form for saying things that are simply wrong or gross exaggerations to suit himself. 

There's  absolutely no way either of those clubs are bigger than Rovers.

• Like 1

Just now, JHRover said:

I believe he is incorrect in any event but then again Mowbray has form for saying things that are simply wrong or gross exaggerations to suit himself. 

Bedding down for a couple of contracts is Tony.  This is his pension and he knows the rovers fans will not turn for a couple of years no matter what.  Can our club be denigrated any further?

I'm afraid a line is crossed when the manager and spokesman of the club is going out and making these sort of comments.

I know it suits Mowbray and the regime we have to keep expectations down and remind people that we've no divine right to expect success and this is a very competitive league but there comes a stage where it is too much and we've reached that.

I don't demand much of the club. I don't demand success or millions spent on top quality players but I do demand pride in what we are. I don't accept these comments as either accurate or appropriate. 

As I say Mowbray should perhaps say less at times, whether that be our huge rivals who actually aren't or the inflated crowds of rivals he comes out with.

• Like 4

The Owners are as supportive as ever. They are very nice, humble, honest people, who would like us to be successful

Wow - they sound really enthusiastic! Are they desperate for Rovers to succeed? determined to gain promotion?  committed to the cause ?

I'd like England to win the cricket world cup but if they don't I'll have a cup of tea and not worry in the slightest.  I feel that Venky's have the same attitude when it comes to Rovers.

• Like 1

The longer he's here the more he'll be a company man but at the end of the day to get the best out of them you have to be like that.  I do though wonder just what kind of pitch they put to them in these meetings.  My feeling is it's more of an investment model rather than promotion one.

Interesting that he speaks of a healthy budget for the summer but also talks about moving towards self sufficiency.

The two are incompatible. If we want to compete and invest at this level we need external investment and through that won't be self sufficient.

It's one or the other and that's nothing to do with our crowds compared to other clubs. You want to invest and compete then you won't break even. 

If Venkys don't like the idea of losing more money then they either need to get us up quickly or pack their bags.

• Like 2

Just now, JHRover said:

Interesting that he speaks of a healthy budget for the summer but also talks about moving towards self sufficiency.

The two are incompatible. If we want to compete and invest at this level we need external investment and through that won't be self sufficient.

It's one or the other and that's nothing to do with our crowds compared to other clubs. You want to invest and compete then you won't break even. 

If Venkys don't like the idea of losing more money then they either need to get us up quickly or pack their bags.

Is this just a nod in the direction to FFP though? I.e. that external investment in players & a top academy is vital, but if we don't see it back in kind with either a promotion or player trading then we're limited in how much we can spend?

4 minutes ago, philipl said:

Moving towards self-sufficiency means Premier League.

Nowhere else it is possible for a club in Rovers' location. 

And that will only happen by spending money on the right players not has beens, cast offs or projects. I was quite enthused when Mowbray talked about using what Norwich have done as our model. That seems to have died a death reading the recent interviews with Waggott and Mowbray. And coincidentally their tone changed after coming back from India. The conclusion I draw is that the Indians have told them there isn't the budget that they expected.

We will never, ever progress whilst their name is above the door.

• Like 4

How many clubs are actually self sufficient in any of the top two divisions though ?

Even the huge ones have unsustainable wage bills these days.

Nothing Venkys & co have done whilst they've been here has been anything remotely like making a self sufficient club they wanted something to syphon their extra cash through so I actually think if it was self sufficient and profitable it wouldn't be much use to them.

It's always been an odd arrangement.

Losing ten to twenty mill per year seems to suit it's just a pity the club has never actually benefited much from it but many arseholes, spivs and dollopers have !

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 2

On 11/06/2019 at 13:30, JHRover said:

Just you wait for the one about picking a team 'to try and stop Luton's amazing left back'.

• Like 3

"My hope would be that by Christmas if we’re in mid-table and not top of the league then you’re not clamouring for a new manager because I’m trying to be realistic"

OK this is getting ridiculous now.

It has to be a joke right ?

You might as well Fuck Off now Tony and let us get a proper manager with ambition.

The minimum expectation this season is the play offs !!!!!

• Like 3

£10 million spent last summer, hinting that another BB price tag signing may come this summer.

TM has banged on about promotion more than any fan I know, now he’s telling the fans not to get on his back if he doesn’t meet his own supposed expectations!

• Like 2

So this IS all about Mowbray staying in his job. Come on Tony, you know how the game works. Just because Venkys are simpletons does mean fans are.

Stop talking and sign a couple of players. We at least need to replace Conway and Reed.

40 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Stop talking and sign a couple of players. We at least need to replace Conway and Reed.

Unfortunately. I think we'll see that Davenport is Reed's replacement, and Chapman is Conway's replacement.  

• Like 4